Heading to Universal, scared I won't fit.

You'll see many people doing cute picture poses in the test seats, so feel free to just make it a picture moment! (not sure why I didn't remember everything I had to say earlier...sorry to reply so many times!)

Is it mostly the restraints that prevent people from being able to ride? I have wide hips, but my chest is an XL or XXL. I am worried about not being able to fit into some rides because of that little extra junk in the trunk (my hubby has similar issues too).

Is it mostly the restraints that prevent people from being able to ride? I have wide hips, but my chest is an XL or XXL. I am worried about not being able to fit into some rides because of that little extra junk in the trunk (my hubby has similar issues too).

Yes the restraints are usually the main reason for limiting people riding if they are larger. As said Dudley is awkward to get in and out of also.......there is a way of almost wiggling out, took me a few goes before I mastered it.....lol

Test seats are the way to go if you're not sure.

Thank you all for the helpful responses! I just arrived tonight, and am very much looking forward to my weekend here! I am still anxious, and probably will be until I try that first test seat, but feel better about not worrying over whether people will be watching or not!

Hope you have a wonderful trip...........come back and tell us how much you enjoyed it......:)

have someone in your group make the comment to you,
"go try the test seat so i can take your picture."

anyone one around will just think you are going to pose for a picture...
and you will find out how you fit in the test seats.

Hello again,

I am officially home from vacation, and wanted to write down my expereince for others who may eventually be looking for more information, like I was! First of all, let me tell you that I was impressed with the parks as a whole; they were clean, well staffed for the crowds, and themed really well. They are smaller in size than any Disney Park, but boy did my feet still hurt walking all day...a mid-day pool break was very welcomed :)

As I said in my intro question, I was very worried about not fitting into the rides at both Universal parks, and I had some surprises, and disappointments. BUT, I was totally prepared for this, which left me feeling less upset than I would have had I gone expecting to ride everything! For reference, I am a female, with a large hips and butt area, while my waist is fairly slim for my size. I wear a US women's 24/26, and a men's XXL t-shirt, or women' 22/24 shirt.

My experience: I will write down all the rides I was nervous about.

I was ABLE to ride:
Mummy (amazing ride, my favorite...Fit fine two rides, third ride attendant pushed for one more click)
Transformers (No issue, comfortable)
Despicable Me (One ride in the back was comfortable, one ride in the front was rougher..but had plenty of room)
Hulk** (I fit in the modified seat, but was in PAIN...my hips kept me from sitting fully in the seat, so they were getting bruised during the ride)
Dragon Challenge** ( I fit in the modified seat, but my hips kept me from sitting in the seat fully, but this was a much more comfortable ride than Hulk...really enjoyed this one)
Bluto's Barge Ride (Seatbelt was plenty large enough, a fun ride)
Spiderman (Like Transformers, plenty of room)

I was UNABLE to ride:
Rip Ride RockIt (The bar would not close due to my bottom half size)
Forbidden Journey (Unfortunately, I could not get the yellow light. The seat was much narrower than I imagined)
Gringott's (I sat in the test seat, and couldn't get the green light on my own. The attendant pushed slightly and said to try row 3/6, I got my hopes up on this one, but I was unable to ride)
Dr. Doom's Fearfall (Hips didn't allow me to get into seat)

I didn't get to try:
Jurassic Park
Dudley Falls
Men in Black
Flight of the Hippogriff

Hope this helps any others who might be worried. There was plenty of things to do/see and I didn't feel like I missed out on a lot. I am heading back in about 8 months, so I hope to be able to trim down some more and get into the four rides I couldn't manage, and be more comfy on HULK.

I was UNABLE to ride:
Rip Ride RockIt (The bar would not close due to my bottom half size)
Forbidden Journey (Unfortunately, I could not get the yellow light. The seat was much narrower than I imagined)
Gringott's (I sat in the test seat, and couldn't get the green light on my own. The attendant pushed slightly and said to try row 3/6, I got my hopes up on this one, but I was unable to ride)
Dr. Doom's Fearfall (Hips didn't allow me to get into seat)

I didn't get to try:
Jurassic Park
Dudley Falls
Men in Black
Flight of the Hippogriff

Hope this helps any others who might be worried. There was plenty of things to do/see and I didn't feel like I missed out on a lot. I am heading back in about 8 months, so I hope to be able to trim down some more and get into the four rides I couldn't manage, and be more comfy on HULK.
Glad to hear you had a great time even if you didn't get to ride everything you wanted. I had though of a couple of other things that might help you out on your next trip and help others in the future.

HRRR - There are 2 different modified seats as scene in this picture.
36cf8b85c1eddaab36450d0b66ea9900.jpg

I can't remember which one is which but one is for bigger hips and the other is for a bigger belly. You need to test both seats. I know I fit in one of the rows and it is no ways near close in the other.

Forbidden Journey - Yes, those seats are very narrow. For me, as you saw in my picture above, it was a shoulders. In 8 months if you think you can fit but not get secured quickly enough, you could see about using the stationary loading also used for wheelchairs. That would give you plenty of time to get situated.
img_14671.jpg

I was just there with a buddy of mine who is a pretty big guy. I felt bad for him as he just couldn't fit on some of the rides, particularly Rock-It, Hulk, and Forbidden Journey. He barely made Gringott's, which I was very glad for (though I really am not sure why such a tame ride requires such restraints, but I'm no ride engineer). I do hope it helps inspire him to try to lose some weight as he really loves theme parks and Harry Potter. To the OP, good luck to you as well when you return.

Glad to hear you had a great time even if you didn't get to ride everything you wanted. I had though of a couple of other things that might help you out on your next trip and help others in the future.

Thank you for those tips, I did try both RRR seats, but both were a no go this time. I am looking forward to my next trip though, and this will help motivate me on my weight loss journey. I am continuing to stay focused, and the support here definitely helps!!

I was just there with a buddy of mine who is a pretty big guy. I felt bad for him as he just couldn't fit on some of the rides, particularly Rock-It, Hulk, and Forbidden Journey. He barely made Gringott's, which I was very glad for (though I really am not sure why such a tame ride requires such restraints, but I'm no ride engineer). I do hope it helps inspire him to try to lose some weight as he really loves theme parks and Harry Potter. To the OP, good luck to you as well when you return.

My mom and uncle had said the exact same thing, they were shocked that I could ride HULK and DC, but not Gringott's based on the intensity of the ride. Very weird that I could ride the more intense rides like HULK and DC, but not Gringotts. Just another motivator on my weight loss journey!! Thanks :)

My mom and uncle had said the exact same thing, they were shocked that I could ride HULK and DC, but not Gringott's based on the intensity of the ride. Very weird that I could ride the more intense rides like HULK and DC, but not Gringotts. Just another motivator on my weight loss journey!! Thanks :)
I think that it might be the way the Harry Potter rides tend to fling you around while the coasters just push you back. Just theorizing.

I'm glad that you had fun anyway. I believe that you would likely fit in Jurassic Park and Men In Black too. I can't speak for Dudley Falls. Flight of the Hippogriff is a gentle coaster so surely you would fit? I can't recall what the seats were like.

There are 2 things with Gringotts Compared with Hulk and Dragon Challenge. First, Hulk and Dragon Challenge have OTSR where Gringotts has a lap bar. As such, different people are going to have trouble riding the rides. People with larger upper bodies will have trouble with Hulk and Dragon Challenge where people with larger lower bodies will have trouble with Gringotts.

Second, Gringotts has a height requirement of 42" where Hulk and Dragon Challenge have 54" height requirements. It is possible, in making the ride safe for smaller riders they eliminated some larger riders. Gringotts is also more restrictive than ROTM even though they have similar restraint systems.

OP thanks for the update and I'm glad for what you were able to ride!!!!!

He barely made Gringott's, which I was very glad for (though I really am not sure why such a tame ride requires such restraints, but I'm no ride engineer)

I was chatting with a TM. She said that she was one of the first who got to ride it, and they rode it before the leg restraints went onto the "legs" of the bar. She said they were told to try their hardest to get out of the restraints, and some of them made it. And so the restraints went in. So people like my husband are now prevented from riding (possibly forever) because of the possible hijinks very small people MIGHT get up to. Sigh.

(because of the tree-trunk size of his legs, it's very very difficult to get them both inside the "legs" of a lap bar like the one on Gringotts (or Mummy which doesn't have the extra calf restraint things), which is necessary to do to try to get the bar under his belly. It kept him from Goofy's Sky School at DCA (and Mulholland before that) and they don't have the extra leg things. Because of the leg things, even if he loses his belly he likely will still be prevented from riding due to the tree trunk legs)

Flight of the Hippogriff is a gentle coaster so surely you would fit? I can't recall what the seats were like.

Plain old lap bar that goes all the way across the seat. DH is bigger than the OP and has NO issue with it.

I agree with the above poster about Dudley flume ride. I have a bigger chest and waist and thought the flume ride was very painful with the lap bar so tight. It was comfy when I started, but then after a hill it clicked down more and it was awful.
When i went a year ago, I got stuck on that ride. Not because I was big but because I am tall. My legs are 36 inches. I could not get my knees from under the bar and could not lift myself up because my feet keep slipping on me. They had to call a maintenance man out to take out the back of my seat so I could scoot back enough to lift with my knees. So embarrassing, I got up and had a log line full of people looking at me.

We just returned last weekend from our trip. My DH, who is a big fellow all around (tall, broad, husky....6'4" tall, 269 pounds and shoulders like a football player) was only unable to ride Rip Ride Rocket (he said it was his shoulder/chest width that was the problem). Forbidden Journey and Gringotts were both no problem. He was also fine on Hulk.

Thank you for those tips, I did try both RRR seats, but both were a no go this time. I am looking forward to my next trip though, and this will help motivate me on my weight loss journey. I am continuing to stay focused, and the support here definitely helps!!

I'm so glad you got to ride so many things with no issues.......and you have a fabulous outlook on the things you didn't ride this trip........you have all that to look forward to next trip........

Glad you had such a nice time on your trip and good luck on your continuing weight loss :)

I was chatting with a TM. She said that she was one of the first who got to ride it, and they rode it before the leg restraints went onto the "legs" of the bar. She said they were told to try their hardest to get out of the restraints, and some of them made it. And so the restraints went in. So people like my husband are now prevented from riding (possibly forever) because of the possible hijinks very small people MIGHT get up to. Sigh.

Ah, that figures. That's the same reason they added a bar to Splash Mountain. It's not that it needs it for safety, but idiots would try to stand up or get out of the boat. It's pretty ridiculous how people would even try to do things like that! I don't blame the parks though, because they have to cover themselves against things like that.

For anyone that has ridden the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train at Disney World, are any of the Universal rides similar in size/fit? We both fit on the 7DMT, but it was a very uncomfortable ride due to the how the restraints touched our legs.

I've only ridden 7DMT once. I'm not sure any of Universal's rides are are that similar. In general, 7DMT seemed to have a smaller seat than anything at Universal. But, in general, the restraints need to come down further on Universal's coasters. So, it is probably easier to ride 7DMT but once you can ride you're more likely to be comfortable on Universal rides.

For anyone that has ridden the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train at Disney World, are any of the Universal rides similar in size/fit? We both fit on the 7DMT, but it was a very uncomfortable ride due to the how the restraints touched our legs.

I don't remember the lap bar on that ride, but holy cow, those molded seats! My butt hurt for an hour. :/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter