Hawaii Fires

Aulani on different island.
But as mentioned above, the whole state will be rallying people and resources for this disaster .
Unlike the 48 states, Hawaii of course has GET items sent them not just drove down the road.
🙏🙏🤝🤟🚑🧡💚💙💜

There will be many switching vacations from Maui to Oahu. I would assume Aulani would be a prime target.

My wife and I are scheduled to be at Aulani Aug. 21-26. I know that we CAN go, but it feels rather insensitive right now. We would have to eat airfare and points and I’m feeling selfish for not being comfortable in doing that, though. Please know Im not saying others should feel the same way. I know everyone’s heart is breaking for the people there and it’s hard to know what to do. So devastating—no words…

My wife and I are scheduled to be at Aulani Aug. 21-26. I know that we CAN go, but it feels rather insensitive right now. We would have to eat airfare and points and I’m feeling selfish for not being comfortable in doing that, though. Please know Im not saying others should feel the same way. I know everyone’s heart is breaking for the people there and it’s hard to know what to do. So devastating—no words…
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTop...ilty_about_traveling_to_Oahu-Oahu_Hawaii.html

This is a good thread in trip advisor that may change your mind.

The state and the businesses need the tourism dollars.

That is the challenging part, especially right now. I know a lot of native Hawaiians have been against over-tourism and I totally understand that, but it's also a huge part of their economy.

If had a stay at Aulani scheduled I'd go forward with it, I would also make a donation toward the Maui relief effort can help as well and also be extra nice to the CM's and make sure they're doing ok.

Aulani itself probably won't be affected, but expect the rest of the island to feel more crowded. Hotels are filling up with evacuees, and stores may be running low on food and toiletries. Businesses may also have reduced service if they're helping people from Maui.

I would call the airline and ask if they need those seats for relief workers or any other relief effort, letting them know that you would be more than willing to give yours up if that proves to be the case. You may not have to eat the airfare. But if the seats are not needed for other purposes, then you might as well use them and bring your tourism dollars to the state.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTop...ilty_about_traveling_to_Oahu-Oahu_Hawaii.html

I agree. Avoiding Maui right now should be a no brainer. Their whole infrastructure is overwhelmed by taking care of the Lahaina survivors and putting out fires in the interior and is likely to remain so for the next few weeks, if not months. They can't deal with tourists right not. However, avoiding the other islands will only impact on their economy.

I'm disappointed I can't visit Maui (been looking forward to this for several years), but I can support Hawaii by visiting one or more of the other islands.

I think the combo of being a responsible tourist on an unaffected island who also makes a meaningful contribution to support the Maui effort is enough to get me through any squishy ethical dilemma.
I agree, although for me there's not really anything ethical about it.

Me "feeling bad" and canceling a trip isn't helping Maui in any way.

Like you said - Me spending tourism dollars, and making a donation, is helping Hawaii, and therefore helping Maui.

I agree, although for me there's not really anything ethical about it.

Me "feeling bad" and canceling a trip isn't helping Maui in any way.

Like you said - Me spending tourism dollars, and making a donation, is helping Hawaii, and therefore helping Maui.
As I said, I don’t expect others to feel any certain way. Perhaps it’s not an ethical thing and I have indeed rationalized their need for tourism dollars, but there is most certainly an emotional aspect to it—celebrating a vacation in a time of historically epic devastation and human suffering just feels really uncomfortable to me—even if I donate to the cause and support the economy. That’s just me. Doesn’t make me worse or better, it’s just how I feel…

To be fair, a number of people who live in Hawaii have commented that even coming to other islands is a problem because folks from Maui are being treated on other islands, etc. I recognize someone will likely step in and say "That person doesn't speak for me" but I'd just encourage folks to consider how traveling there still uses resources.

To be fair, a number of people who live in Hawaii have commented that even coming to other islands is a problem because folks from Maui are being treated on other islands, etc. I recognize someone will likely step in and say "That person doesn't speak for me" but I'd just encourage folks to consider how traveling there still uses resources.
Of course, that makes sense. But of those "number of people" who are commenting - I wonder how many of them stand to lose income due to the lack of tourism (which is a vital industry in Hawaii)?

And, in your link, it reads "even before the fires, Aunty said that tourists and transplants contributed to many issues in Hawaii". That sounds suspiciously like an underlying agenda...

Each person has to make the decision whether to travel individually. It will be different for each one.

As someone who lives in a state that is extremely reliant on tourism, and often impacted by natural disasters, I can understand the call to avoid Maui until the situation is stabilized. However, many businesses who cater to tourists are small and run on very thin profit margins. When we have areas decimated by hurricanes, once temporary housing is in place the first thing on the agenda is getting businesses up and running as soon as possible.

People can’t survive without an operating economy nearby to support their recovery. They can’t rebuild without money and supplies, and our experience has been that insurance pays later rather than sooner. The areas in Maui which were not directly affected by the fires need to keep all of their businesses running and profitable, even those businesses that rely on tourism. It’s a delicate situation. There will always be some who say it’s too soon, and others who say it’s not soon enough.

I would not judge anyone who decided to cancel their trip, regardless of their reason. I would not judge anyone who decided to continue with their plans to visit the other islands, so long as they are respectful of what the citizens have been through. I would not judge anyone who visits Maui once the authorities say it’s okay to do so, especially those people who are willing to donate or volunteer as part of their trip. It’s a difficult thing to balance, but I don’t feel that anyone who is traveling to Hawaii in the upcoming weeks and months is doing so lightly, or is doing so without compassion for what the citizens of Maui have been through.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter