• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hawaii Approved Reef Safe Sunscreen

ChanaC

DIS Veteran
Hawaii has banned the sale of sunscreen with certain ingredients that could harm coral reefs. When you visited Hawaii, what did you do in terms of sunscreen? Did you bring your stock of "regular" sunscreen or buy the approved stuff? If you bought the approved ones did you buy the sunscreen in Hawaii or on the mainland/your home country? I assume it's cheaper outside Hawaii since everything appears to be expensive in there, but I wonder how hard it is to find outside of Hawaii. Anyone had a favorite reef safe sunscreen you would recommend? I personally tend to buy Neutrogena sunscreen for my face (I'm prone to breakouts) and generic store brand stuff for my body since it's the cheapest and I use a lot of it, but I would really like to respect the state's guidelines. I suppose it's probably better to use the reef safe stuff in any ocean.

All of the sunscreen we currently have in the house (Banana Boat, Neutrogena, Target, Walmart) are already free of the two ingredients that are banned, oxybenzone and octinoxate. The Target Up & Up one even has fine print that says "formula is compliant with HI SB2571" which is the Hawaii law.

Just look for reef safe. Lots of options available. We normally purchase at Costco at home and bring it. Alba Hawaiian is normally available there.

Neutrogena Beach Defense has changed their formula.

I have two bottles in front of me.

Older bottle:
- Avobenzone
- Homosalate
- Octisalate
- Octocrylene
- Oxybenzone <--- that's the bad guy

New bottle:
- Avobenzone
- Homosalate
- Octisalate
- Octocrylene

Says "oxybenzone free" on the front.

Thanks everyone! I'll have to keep an eye out on stuff in the drug store. Glad to see that there is a Neutrogena option as well.

We bought sunscreen at Target while in Hawaii. It was $1 more than it is at our local store in Michigan for the same bottle (I just checked the target website to confirm).

I think people that complain about the sunscreen prices are only looking at the tourist trap grocery stores. Get away from those and it isn't that expensive.

Walgreens also makes one and they tend to run buy one get one 50% off a lot. I tried it and it worked good

Our family loves sun bum mineral sunscreen in the white containers. It smells good and it’s safe for reefs and your skin.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter