Hawaii advice especially volcanos

Dznypal

DIS Veteran
we started talking about going to Hawaii for our anniversary this fall

were thinking of concentrating on the big island this time--weve done Hawaii several times before but not this island
this time wed like to see a volcano
so were thinking of the volcano national park

but how intenst is it were not the type that have to spend a whole day in one area even though we know some places you really need a lot of time
but just enough time to see the highlight

also are there any other volcanos besides in the park
any other tips for this island
thanks

we started talking about going to Hawaii for our anniversary this fall

were thinking of concentrating on the big island this time--weve done Hawaii several times before but not this island
this time wed like to see a volcano
so were thinking of the volcano national park

but how intenst is it were not the type that have to spend a whole day in one area even though we know some places you really need a lot of time
but just enough time to see the highlight

also are there any other volcanos besides in the park
any other tips for this island
thanks
We just got back yesterday.

Kilauea in Volcano National Park is the only active volcano. When we were there is not spewing lava. You will see steam vents. There are hiking/walking trails you can do but not down into the bowl of the volcano. We spent about 2 hours in the park around Kilauea but it was raining on and off.

We did a star gazing excursion to the top of Mauna Kea and went to the Summit & Observatory. It was FREEZING up there! They had snow early last week. You can do it on your own but will need a 4wd to go to the summit.

I'm sure there are other activities and trails to do that we didn't do.

There are 4 volcanoes on Hawaii that are considered active.

One is still underwater.

The two most active in recent time are Mauna Loa (2022) and Kilauea (2023).

If you really want to hit just the highlights Volcanoes National Park can be covered in a single long day. To really experience all it has to offer you really need to plan to be there during daylight hours and also hang around after dark to perhaps experience seeing the glow.

Hawaii is a big island. It is a really different experience than Maui or Oahu.

You can drive between Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea on Saddle Road. The scenery will vary from lush to desert to arid.

While you can make a day trip between Kona and Hilo, doing so means a long day with a lot of driving.

If I were to again spend a week on Hawaii, I would spend 3/4 nights in the Kailua-Kona area and 3/4 nights in the Hilo area. If you can make your trip 9 days or longer add 3/4 nights in Volcano.

It has been a number of years since we went to Hawaii but on one trip we had amazing luck. The volcano was erupting on private land so we were able to pay for a tour that took us on a 6 mile round trip hike so we could touch the lava if we wanted.

DSC_9127e.jpg

Probably the most dangerous thing my wife and I have ever done with our kids. Well I did walk with them to the edge of Rainbow Falls. That was pretty dumb as well but breathtaking.

We also enjoyed a night on the top of Mauna Kea. We rented a 4x4 and drove to the top, making sure to spend a few hours at the visitors center to acclimate some to the altitude. I know there have been protesters for many years now so I am not sure how easy it is to make the drive now.

Lots of waterfalls to visit as well and black and green sand beaches. You can also visit South Point Park and make your way to the southernmost point in the US.

Eat some Malasadas for me.

My recommendation for Volcanoes NP would be to download the GuideAlong app. It's a pay app, but well worth the money. As you drive along the park, the app will point out interesting things to pull over and see and will generally narrate the whole journey. We've also used it for the Road to Hana on Maui.

You also might consider doing a helicopter tour over the volcanoes. Not to everyone's taste--you couldn't pay ME to do it--but my husband, son, daughter, and future son-in-law all did it, and said it was amazing.

But there’s no active lava right now (sniff, sniff as someone who is also planning a trip, but can’t check “lava” off my bucket list) :sad:

Whether or not there's an active lava flow doesn't mean it can be fascinating. I remember when I was there in 2009 there was an active lava flow, but the closest we could get was maybe a mile away seeing steam rise out of the water as the lava cooled. However, it seems that Pu'u O'o stopped its eruption several years ago. And the smell. It's mostly hydrogen sulfide, but I've heard it described variously as "rotten egg" or "the farts of 10,000 people". There are active vent holes all over with steam rising. Even if it's not erupting, Halema'uma'u Crater can be pretty interesting.

Also - it's officially Hawai'i Volcanos National Park, if one wants to be pedantic. It used to be part of Hawaii National Park, which was split off into Hawai'i Volcanos and Haleakalā National Park.

We visited Hawai’i Volcanoes National Park in 2014.

We spent a week in a VRBO rental on the Kona side and double booked one night in HVNP at the Volcano House Hotel. We took a 2 day loop trip around the island and visited a bunch of sights along the way. We got into HVNP in the afternoon and did some stuff that day and then in the morning before heading out.

There was no flowing lava when we were there, but it was still incredible. I specifically wanted to be there at night to experience the glow of the caldera, but the weather did not cooperate and it was very rainy/foggy and we could not see the glow at night … we got up super early the next day and saw a little bit in the morning when it was still dark though.

Highlights beyond staring at the caldera (which complete fascinated me) were the Thurston Lava Tube, the Trail of Devastation and our drive down Chain of Craters road (felt like we were on another planet).

I just looked at the park website and it looks like they just started a 2 year construction project, so you may want to take that into consideration.

We went to the Big Island last September, went to the Hawai'i volcano national park and spent about 2.5 hours there. If you don't have huge interests in volcano, I think 2-3 hours is definitely enough to see the highlights. There's a restaurant up there that's attached to the hotel, a lot of people love having lunch there because you have a great view of the crater while dining. If you stay in Kona, it's a decently long drive to the volcano, so most people would make that a day trip to Hilo as well and we did the same thing.

ETA - Wear long pants and bring a light jacket w/ you to the volcano national park. It is much cooler there especially if you visit in the AM, can be very windy and also rain on/off.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter