Having a hard time...

whitney250

DIS Veteran
My grandmother (72) was diagnosed with breast cancer last week (She's in the purple shirt in my Avatar)... we don't know what stage it is or anything quite yet, she will be having more tests done this week, along with having a port put in and her first chemo will be next week. Her oncologist said something about it being Inflammatory, which is not something that we wanted to hear. She is very positive right now, so we are being as strong as we can for her... but it's definitely hard. If you believe in a higher power, prayers would be greatly appreciated! :angel: Any tips on helping her would also be greatly appreciated. We will likely try to get her to MD Anderson, since her city isn't very up to date on medical advancements.

I am so sorry to read that... I will keep your family and grandmother in my thoughts and prayers for sure..

I went through Chemo with my Mother in Law and took my cues from her.. She needed a lot more rest, and her taste for food changed a lot.. We tried to get small pre done , easy to eat meals for her to eat..

Thank you so much for the prayers, they are greatly appreciated. She does like the small reay made meals already, so I'm glad those may work for her. I know nothing about chemo really, other than she will have a port... And I know the number of treatments can vary, but that's it.

I only had that one experience, and I am sure they can all be different... For me going with her, I did the puzzles and games they had there to distract (or try to) from what was going on... They did tell us that the chemo would change and alter the food taste, so we didn't get too many in advance, we would ask her often what she felt like.. She rested a lot more than before.. In between her session she had her blood labs drawn to make sure she was strong enough for the next one, and we sanitized her house A LOT.. Anyone with colds or germs of anything we knew about couldn't come over, as it weakens the immune... The hospital staff was very great with questions, and even if we had none.

Please feel free to post, this is a very caring community.. hugs..

Thank you so much, it helps to know what to expect. I will definitely update when we find out more. We are traveling to her house today, so we will be there when she gets her port and everything. I will definitely find things to keep her busy during :)

We found out today that she for sure has inflammatory breast cancer, but it is the better form of it to have, so they are able to add another medication in to battle it. She has an MRI today because the cat scan showed some nodules on her liver and lungs, but it isn't guaranteed to be cancer as she has a history of cysts and she also has COPD. She gets her port tomorrow and will start her chemo on Friday... She will have 6 short rounds and then a mastectomy. We still aren't sure about radiation. Her doctor is very positive, which makes all of is feel much better.

Thanks for your update.. It sounds more positive!!!.. Thinking good thoughts, and I am keeping you all in my prayers.. xo. I am glad to hear of such a positive doctor, it sure does help.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter