• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Have You Ever Had To Confront Another Guest's Poor Behavior?

Just last month DH and I were in HS. Family walking ahead of us. Mom, dad and 2 kids about 12-14 years old. Parents not paying any attention to what the 2 kids behind them were doing. They were kicking at and terrorizing a poor duck. Kids look back at us and start laughing at how funny they were. DH tells them, you aren't funny at all and I told them you know, they throw people out of the parks for doing that to the animals. The kids turned stark white and ran up to their parents who still had no idea what they were doing.
I figured that by ignoring their poor behavior just encourages it.

Got into it once with a guy on a bus because I wouldn't give up my seat to his kids. I've always been one to give up my seat to anyone who looks like they need it more than me, but since having a pretty bad ACL injury, I don't give up seats anymore, and we tend to wait for a bus that we can sit down on. I was about 24 years old at the time and he made it loud and clear that he thought I should be standing. I made it clear he can wait for the next bus if he wants to sit down, no one forced him to get on the bus with standing room only.

Got into it with another person once at the check in line for AoA. They lined up beside me instead of in front of me for some reason, and when the confused CM with the tablet came up asking who was next, they said they were. Normally I just let that nonsense go, but I had been waiting for like 30 minutes in that line at that point and I got into it with them, and they wouldnt back down. That's probably my worst experience with another park guest.

My wife had words with multiple families that werent social distancing in lines when it was required.

All and all out of hundreds of days at disney, I see all that as a pretty positive experience. I've learned over the years to just let people go, smile, and move on. So many people are high strung at disney and it just honestly makes me feel sorry for them for not having a great time.

I get pretty angry but try to just ignore it due to never knowing how high the drama can go. I never thought confronting rude people changed their behavior so it's just extra stress for nothing.

Last trip we went on back in November 2020, there was a lot of sarcastic remarks from me and my Fiance to other guests who made no effort to follow distancing markers or keeping their masks on.

During one of our MK days, we were in line waiting to go through the turnstiles, and with the gaps everyone was leaving, these 2 old senior citizens decided to jump into one of the gaps and pretend they were in line, and cut about 5-6 groups. That's when the Jersey in me let out a quip of "Well, he doesn't have much time left on Earth so they need to take every shortcut possible." Dude heard me turned around and just stared at me...I don't care, at least own up to the fact you just cut a bunch of people because you have no morality and only care about yourself.

This seems like a good place to ask this question. I was at the left coast parks last weekend. Was entering Disneyland when we encountered a problem with our tickets. We were sent to the ticket booth and then told to come straight back to the entrance when we had fixed the issue. That is what we did-this meant we had to cut a fairly long line of people. As we got to the front somebody from an adjust lined yelled something to the effect of "it must be nice to be so special you don't have to stand in line." Should we (3 of us) have stood in the entrance line for a 2nd time or where we right to follow the CM's instructions?

During one of our MK days, we were in line waiting to go through the turnstiles, and with the gaps everyone was leaving, these 2 old senior citizens decided to jump into one of the gaps and pretend they were in line, and cut about 5-6 groups. That's when the Jersey in me let out a quip of "Well, he doesn't have much time left on Earth so they need to take every shortcut possible." Dude heard me turned around and just stared at me...I don't care, at least own up to the fact you just cut a bunch of people because you have no morality and only care about yourself.
Now I know why I don't like going "Jersey Week" :rolleyes:
This seems like a good place to ask this question. I was at the left coast parks last weekend. Was entering Disneyland when we encountered a problem with our tickets. We were sent to the ticket booth and then told to come straight back to the entrance when we had fixed the issue. That is what we did-this meant we had to cut a fairly long line of people. As we got to the front somebody from an adjust lined yelled something to the effect of "it must be nice to be so special you don't have to stand in line." Should we (3 of us) have stood in the entrance line for a 2nd time or where we right to follow the CM's instructions?

I think he just meant for you to get back in line. :confused3 At WDW we had an issue with activating our vouchers, bands did not work, went back to GS, she fixed it and we went back to the entrance to wait in line.

This has happened to us at Universal AND Disney. In both instances, the Cast Member clearly meant "come back to me right here at the front" so we did. If someone yelled at us, I'd let the CM take care of it, at that point.

It's fascinating to me how many of these issues would have been mitigated or eliminated before they started if only the Disney employees enforced the rules.
Before the apologists become apoplectic, I believe there are a lot of reasons for this, and most don't have to do with the individual employee.
I imagine that most may not feel empowered to confront the customers in fear of being reprimanded or worse.
Management that does not back up their staff are the lowest of the low, especially once it is crystal clear their staff were in the right.
Another reason might be Disney being too cheap or simply unable to properly staff locations to provide proper crowd control.
And of course, sometimes an employee just thinks that they are paid the same whether they confront and solve a problem or if they ignore it completely, so they take the path of least resistance.

As for the main point of the thread, I'm on the side of walking away from troublesome people and situations.
If you do touch or injure someone I love, then I will make my displeasure known in such a way that it's unmistakable, but it always stops short of touching another person or another person's property. If that's called for, I would just dial 911.

I’m usually pretty passive and the fact that I’m tall usually keeps people from wanting to test me. Only time at WDW I had to say something was when I saw a boy trying to kick a duck at AK. It got out of the way and he missed, but I could see him about to take another run at it. I told him to stop and he did. His mom came over and led him away. I’m not sure if she saw what happened.

One time at Disneyland, two women stepped in front of me on Main Street, took a few steps, and then stopped to take a pictures of their Starbucks drinks. I came really close to running them over. This is late afternoon and Main Street is not very crowded. Don’t know why it got to me that time, but I decided to go around them, wait for them to finish taking pictures of their coffee, and then stopped directly in front of them and pretended to take pictures of the castle. They get very upset and start yelling at me to not stop in the middle of the street. They are just going off on me while I ignore them. They were so entitled they wanted me to move out of the way for them when they could have easily stepped around me. I thought about saying something, but to be honest their anger was hilarious to me because 1) they were getting upset at me for doing exactly the same thing they did a few seconds earlier and 2) they kept getting more and more upset because I was ignoring them and not moving. Finally, they start to go around me and I start moving as well so they end up behind me again. I take a few steps and then decided I needed more castle photos. I hear more complaining, but they go around me this time and I smile at them.

I would never directly confront a guest as a guest except in certain situations such as when I thought the boy was going to hurt a defenseless animal. As a former CM, I will say that when guests witness another guest being rude to you and come to your defense, it is a great feeling. Back when Cafe Orleans was counter service, I had a man ask me to clean a table his family was saving. His wife and two children were there and I cleaned the table while the dad was getting food. A few minutes later his son comes over and asks me to clean the table again so I do. Eventually the guy comes out with food and I see him getting upset with his son. I can hear the son telling him “I did ask him to clean it and he never did”. I go over to see what is wrong, but before I can say anything, the guy grabs my towel from out of my hand and starts wiping the table himself. He then tells me that he will be filing a complaint against me. I was still fairly new back then so I got a little worried. The guests at the table next to them call me over and tell me they think I’m doing a great job. Now almost 20 years later I look back and I feel sorry for that family because they obviously have some issues. But I also have not forgotten the kindness of the guests at the table next to them and the kind words they had for me.
Similarly, as a parent of young children - I have a fantastic memory of an older person going out of their way to say something nice about my parenting. In all likelihood, it probably wasn't even true - but she graciously commented that I showed a lot of patience and thoughtfulness and that comment stays with me 6 years later. For all of the confrontations people talk about, commendations can also be super useful to lift up.

Similarly, as a parent of young children - I have a fantastic memory of an older person going out of their way to say something nice about my parenting. In all likelihood, it probably wasn't even true - but she graciously commented that I showed a lot of patience and thoughtfulness and that comment stays with me 6 years later. For all of the confrontations people talk about, commendations can also be super useful to lift up.
Aww that's lovely to hear 😊

One of the worse things I’ve seen at DW was way back when I was about 17yrs old. I was at Epcot waiting for my BF to meet me and there was a couple with a son and either his or her mom. The man was berating & yelling at his wife, in her face, gesturing wildly while she stood there with her head kind of down flinching every so often. The older mother didn’t intervene, both her & the child looked the other way & didn’t seem bothered by it. They were foreign, so I didn’t know what what he was mad about. I was so upset, but at that age didn’t know what to do, so I stared at him hoping knowing someone was watching would make him stop & hoping he wouldn’t hit her. I don’t think it bothered him that I was watching though. To this day I still remember her face and wish I could’ve/would’ve done something & not to give my age away but that was before cellphones, so a long time ago. 😞

Oh shoot HOW could I have forgotten??

Waiting for PPO at epcit for our garden grill breakfast. We were walking up towards security and only one family ahead of us. Mom and dad and toddler in an umbrella stroller. Toddler was crying, something about a missing stuffed animal. Mom was going OFF on the kid about how it was his own ** fault for forgetting the toy in the room and how he better shut the ** up. The kid wasn't crying that loudly or anything. Mom was escalating badly..and then she hauled off and punched the toddler. I turned to DH in shock and he was about to go over, but I grabbed his arm and just walked over to the side of the security stand and motioned for one of the CMs. I explained what I saw. He thanked me profusely and gathered up the other guys. We went in right then and didn't stick around for the aftermath.

I have a couple of times when people try to crowd into my space for parades.

YESSS! This is my experience on my solo trip last month. My first day I was a MK and picked a spot for the fireworks on the side farther away ( as I didn't want large groups people crowding around me for COVID reasons.) I figured if I stayed away from popular spots closer to the castle I would be good ( WRONG). I was on side rail near the bathrooms across from Casey's Corner. The view of the fireworks would be obstructed anyway but this annoying dad and his two teen sons (around 15-17) just decided to squeeze in next to me AND in front of me. Then that promoted more people to come over and crowd in. I eventually moved to another spot and once again some family walks RIGHT in front of me my viewing spot. Worse is the guy looks dead in my face he moves himself and his family (with scollers all in my personal space). I was like really dude and gave a evil stare. He acted like he didn't speak English but that was clearly a lie.

People can be real douchebags...

Had three very different experiences with families at the parks last week…retired teacher, so I’ve seen the good, the bad and the ugly over the years and dealt with it all.

At AK, in the very long Kali line, socialized with a couple of little girls from Utah (and to a lesser extent their parents) who desperately needed to talk to someone other than family, or so it seemed. Got their entire life stories, and advice on life, the universe, Disney and everything else they could think of. They were cute and polite, but wow, I was exhausted by the end of the line.

At MK, was walking behind a family of kickers in the Pirates line…yup, kickers. Everyone in the family was attempting to kick the other family members in the head. Pre-teens up to grandparents. Everyone was kicking each other, with these high wide jump kicks. Put up with it for about 10 min before the Teacher Evil Eye was employed. Caught the first teen’s eye with my patented Glare of Doom, he stopped jump kicking, nudged another teen, and the calmness spread to the rest of the family one by one over the next few minutes. Was really weird, though. I expect that kind of rough-housing from the kids, but from grandma too? Bizarre.

At DHS, in the long and rainy MMRR line, my faith in humanity was restored. The family that entered the line after us was huge, six or seven kids plus the parents. Oldest kid maybe 12? It was hot and rainy and the line was long, so I expected the worst. Nope. They were wonderful. Older kids were piggy-backing younger as they got tired. Sharing drinks and snacks and ponchos peacefully. Kids offering to carry bags for tired-looking parents. They were polite and friendly and well-behaved, under circumstances that were making all the adults around them cranky. I made sure to compliment the parents on how great the kids were being.

Thankfully, there are encounters like that with really nice people to balance out the episodes with the crazy/savage/rude ones.

About 10 years ago when our kids were small we ate at the Liberty Tree Tavern for the first time. Right after we were seated, another family of mom, dad, and about 3yo boy were sat at the table next to us. This child quickly began a full-on meltdown tantrum: crying, screaming NOOOOOOOO, unable to catch his breath. The parents told him to be quiet, no result. The mom started telling him, I'm going to count to 10, then she'd count to 10, he would only get louder, no result, she'd count to 10 again. The dad was like, let's leave, and she ignored him. This poor child was so loud and sad and was NOT going to calm down anytime soon. The dad was looking around embarrassed, and the mom continued the empty threats. Their drinks arrived, child would not/could not drink, he was so upset. My kids just staring wide-eyed. None of us could have a conversation because this child was crying so loud.

An older gentleman from another table walked over to them and said (quietly, and not unkindly), "your child is ruining everyone's dinner, you should take him out of this restaurant." The dad looked relieved and scooped him right up and they left, abandoning their drinks on the table. A peaceful meal for all of us other diners followed.

I was really grateful and impressed that the man gave those parents that little bit of a push to leave the situation. Hopefully they took the kid somewhere he could nap.

My husband had to ask a guy in front us in the SDMT line to stop vaping because it blowing directly into our faces, and it wasn’t the fruity smelling kind 🙄.

Unless a stranger is putting myself or family in harm's way, I would just bite my tongue and try not to let it ruin my day. I have a short fuse lol

I have to say, I'm really enjoying this thread! Here's a few I have:

About 15 years ago, I went with my mother and we were at the Hall of Presidents. The show began and these people behind her were talking very loudly. My mom said "Shhh." They just kept talking. She said "Shhh" again. They didn't respond. Then she said "Would you shut up already?" Then they got quiet :-D

On my last trip in May, I experienced two groups on two different rides (Splash Mountain and Journey into Imagination) who were not respecting the social distancing lines. Every time I moved up, they were RIGHT behind me. I finally told them that "I think you are supposed to stand back there." The first group, who were a group of teens apologized and the second who was a grandma, a mom and a kid, they glared at me and said "Sorry sir!"

I have to say, I'm really enjoying this thread! Here's a few I have:

About 15 years ago, I went with my mother and we were at the Hall of Presidents. The show began and these people behind her were talking very loudly. My mom said "Shhh." They just kept talking. She said "Shhh" again. They didn't respond. Then she said "Would you shut up already?" Then they got quiet :-D

On my last trip in May, I experienced two groups on two different rides (Splash Mountain and Journey into Imagination) who were not respecting the social distancing lines. Every time I moved up, they were RIGHT behind me. I finally told them that "I think you are supposed to stand back there." The first group, who were a group of teens apologized and the second who was a grandma, a mom and a kid, they glared at me and said "Sorry sir!"
I've had the show thing happen many times. Last time there was a teen sitting behind my son and I. Right as the show is starting Dad runs in and grabs a seat next to teen son and the 2 start gabbing a full conversation about what each of them has done today. Back & forth, on & on & on & on. Who cares? Can't you talk about this outside the show... why bother with the show? I kept hoping they get settled and shut up but after a while I looked over my shoulder and shrugged my arms up like WTH.

Last trip with physical distancing markers there were 2 sets of people that kept following us to our marker. After a few times of that I just told them to get in front of us. That actually worked well both times.

About 10 years ago when our kids were small we ate at the Liberty Tree Tavern for the first time. Right after we were seated, another family of mom, dad, and about 3yo boy were sat at the table next to us. This child quickly began a full-on meltdown tantrum: crying, screaming NOOOOOOOO, unable to catch his breath. The parents told him to be quiet, no result. The mom started telling him, I'm going to count to 10, then she'd count to 10, he would only get louder, no result, she'd count to 10 again. The dad was like, let's leave, and she ignored him. This poor child was so loud and sad and was NOT going to calm down anytime soon. The dad was looking around embarrassed, and the mom continued the empty threats. Their drinks arrived, child would not/could not drink, he was so upset. My kids just staring wide-eyed. None of us could have a conversation because this child was crying so loud.

An older gentleman from another table walked over to them and said (quietly, and not unkindly), "your child is ruining everyone's dinner, you should take him out of this restaurant." The dad looked relieved and scooped him right up and they left, abandoning their drinks on the table. A peaceful meal for all of us other diners followed.

I was really grateful and impressed that the man gave those parents that little bit of a push to leave the situation. Hopefully they took the kid somewhere he could nap.
When my daughter was really little we had an ADR at San Angel in Mexico. We sat down and she started crying. Nothing we did would calm her down. So even though we were hungry and really wanted to eat there we picked her up and left. I know I don't want to have to hear someone else's child crying and acting up during a meal so I wouldn't expect someone else to have to do that when it's my child. We were there in April and eating in 50's Prime Time. There was a family near us with a child who was yelling and hitting his parents the whole time. Not a fun meal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter