Have strollers been stolen before at DL?

Disneyland1084

OH PLEASE SOMEBODY TELL ME!
I'm planning on going to Disneyland next summer with my family. I have a daughter who will be one at the time. I thought about bringing our own stroller, but wouldn't want to get it stolen. What do you think the chances of that happening would be? :confused3

I used to have the same concern, but I have had no problems with stroller theft, knock on wood. I use our bigger one, leave stuff in the basket and so far, so good. The only precaution that I take is that I park it backwards -- more difficult to maneuver -- and I cover our stuff with a blanket.

The chances of that happening is very small. A more likely senerio would be someone taking something out of the stroller (any momentos you may have bought in the park, cell phone, camera, wallet, money...).

Don't leave anything of value in your stroller when it's unattended. But the likelihood of your actual stroller being stollen is very small...

...not impossible, but very small.

If You Have A Disney Visa You Can Get Two Free Strollers Per Day. Why Bring A Stroller When You Can Rent One Or Get A Free One? They Are Very Nice Strollers. We Have Used Them Alot.

50thisyeartoo! said:
If You Have A Disney Visa You Can Get Two Free Strollers Per Day. Why Bring A Stroller When You Can Rent One Or Get A Free One? They Are Very Nice Strollers. We Have Used Them Alot.
I agree it's a great deal and the strollers are nice, but I don't think they would work very well for the OP for 3 reasons.

1. A 1 year old baby is still pretty small and they take naps, and since the DL strollers don't really recline, I don't think the baby would be very comfortable if trying to nap.

2. You can't take the strollers out of the parks, and a 1 year old isn't usually the best walker yet, so a parent would have to carry the baby, and all of their stuff, all the way back to their hotel room.

3. They don't have cup holders. (Okay, so maybe this isn't such a big deal, but gosh-darn-it I love a good cup holder when I'm at DL! :goodvibes )

The odds are very much in your favor. Your stroller should be fine. Just take your valuable with you, and consider tying a bright ribbon, lime green is nice, to distinguish it from similar ones.

In the 'unoffical' guide to Disneyland,some gal would put a white wash rag, soaked in rootbeer, in a ziplock bag on top of her stroller. :rolleyes: NEVER had any problems losing her stroller. But like anything else,"if you can't afford to lose it,don't leave it". :guilty:

They have a section about this in the Unofficial Guide to DL/WDW. People put something on their stroller that help deter thieves. Old socks are the most common but the author mention a family that poured rootbeer on one of their baby's diapers and hung it in a bag on the stroller. I though the idea was really funny but not something I would do myself. I have taken my DD's stroller to both DL and WDW without any problems from other guests. The biggest stroller thieft problem that the parks seem to have is people not wanting to look for their own rented stroller and just taking someone elses. If you do rent a stroller from Disney make sure you keep the receipt so you can replace it without having to pay the fee again.

50thisyeartoo! said:

Also- I believe I read this special will end this year. Since the OP is going next July he would need to pay the $7-8 a day for the stroller.

kuusimo said:
Also- I believe I read this special will end this year. Since the OP is going next July he would need to pay the $7-8 a day for the stroller.
Disney just recently extended the Disney Visa perks (like the free stroller rental and others) until September 30, 2007, so all you Disney Visa holders have another year of great perks to enjoy! :thumbsup2

Just keep any valuables out of the stroller. I have a friend who had her stroller stolen during Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party at DisneyWorld. Fortunately she only had candy in it. The odds are in your favor that it will not get stolen. :woohoo:

Ya, unfortunately, we seem cursed at Disney parks. I've had mine stolen twice. Along with my slings. Anyway, I didn't care about the stroller too much because we just brought our umbrella stroller, but that sling! That almost made me cry. :) Twice! :) Anyway, I really like having my own stroller because of the reasons posted above so you might want to think about bringing an umbrella style or even the "upgraded" ones they have now that recline etc. but are still only about 40$ new.

I know the chances are small, but if I had an expensive stroller stolen, that might ruin my day (well, probably only ruin about 30 minutes, but still). Anyway, just a thought.

We bought a cheap (~$30) double stroller that reclines a few years ago & have used it exclusively for Disney vacations. If it gets stolen, no big deal. As others have stated, don't leave valuables with your stroller. Doing so is just asking for trouble.

While I have never had a stroller stolen I have stolen one myself! :guilty: Several years ago in WDW we had a blue double stroller with stars and stripes on it-- pretty distinctive and easy to locate. In our haste from one show to the next-- I think we had a couple minutes to get to the Hoopty-Do-Revue :confused3 my DW took the two kids 5 and 2yrs. ahead while I grabbed the stroller quickly and met them there. We did the show ,came back out , started walking again (actually put the kids in the stroller) and looked for a snack underneath. This was about the time we realized I goofed and took the wrong stroller. That's not our camera, diaperbag drinks etc... :confused3 Who knew there was another stroller like it---not before or since have I seen the same stroller. We went back to where I "stole" this stroller and there were the owners with their kids and a few security people. The other family did not look too happy and after apologizing profusely the Mom looked like she wanted to do this to my head :badpc: . We felt bad about it and saw them a couple more times that day. Each time I looked the other way :scratchin I leave all kinds of things in the stroller including a camera and never have had a problem. Must be the WDW feeling
because I don't do that anywhere else. First trip to DL in 3 weeks! :cool1:

CHOPR said:
While I have never had a stroller stolen I have stolen one myself! :guilty: Several years ago in WDW we had a blue double stroller with stars and stripes on it-- pretty distinctive and easy to locate. In our haste from one show to the next-- I think we had a couple minutes to get to the Hoopty-Do-Revue :confused3 my DW took the two kids 5 and 2yrs. ahead while I grabbed the stroller quickly and met them there. We did the show ,came back out , started walking again (actually put the kids in the stroller) and looked for a snack underneath. This was about the time we realized I goofed and took the wrong stroller. That's not our camera, diaperbag drinks etc... :confused3 Who knew there was another stroller like it---not before or since have I seen the same stroller. We went back to where I "stole" this stroller and there were the owners with their kids and a few security people. The other family did not look too happy and after apologizing profusely the Mom looked like she wanted to do this to my head :badpc: . We felt bad about it and saw them a couple more times that day. Each time I looked the other way :scratchin I leave all kinds of things in the stroller including a camera and never have had a problem. Must be the WDW feeling
because I don't do that anywhere else. First trip to DL in 3 weeks! :cool1:

:rotfl2: that is too funny! too bad the "victim" didn't see the humor here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter