Have a surprise, short notice trip. Which resort would be best for us, given these factors?

With these factors, which resort do you think would be best for us?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Also, are you a disney+ subscriber, I just looked at those dates and the rates are much lower, POFQ is $229 nt, POR $259 nt, CBR $327 nt.... don't miss that offer if you can.

View attachment 686990
View attachment 686991
Yes! I looked at those discounts for my totals. Despite loving AKL I had to exclude it because it was too far west on property for my husband, who has to commute to his conference 3 days of the trip.

With an almost 2 year old that would love anything, this trip is for the 13yr old. The NEXT trip is for the younger one. So that said, where does the 13yr old want to stay?
It really depends what parks you think you’ll visit the most, IMO. Walking and proximity will be your friend with a 2 yo. Others have brought up skyliner and the summer storms. CR’s pools are not awesome, but my niece and nephews LOVE the arcade there, and the rooms are big and newly refurbished. I also saw a PP mention Beach Club - that is a great recommendation. Walk to Epcot and walk/boat to DHS. And fantastic, fantastic pool.

Eta: never mind, I checked your dates. I see the issue there given your daily conference allowance.

Last edited:
Thank for your thorough reply! Yes, I talked to my husband this morning and we're leaning away from Contemporary because we're more Epcot people (it's my teen's favorite). We're between AoA and POFQ right now, so I'm really appreciating everyone's input.
They are both great. We love the size of French Quarter resort. I'm sure your little one would love AoA

Having stayed at all of these resorts with kids I voted for POFQ. I think it checks the most boxes for you. I didn't read all of the responses so someone may have already said this but did you price out 2 value rooms at POP? Those are usually less than AoA, just a thought. CBR would be at the very bottom of my list. That's a huge price jump and do NOT count on the skyliner during the summer. It doesn't run when there's lightning and that happens pretty much everyday here (we live near by WDW)

It’s myself, my husband, our 13yo and almost 2yo. We’re going to be there 6 days/7 nights. My husband will be attending a convention during the day at the JW Marriott Grand Lakes for 3 days and joining us for 2-3 park days, and me and the kids will likely do a rest day in the middle of our stay while hubby is at his conference.

We’ve narrowed it down to these options based on budget, availability, commute for hubby, and some preference. Stay is from 08/19-08/26, and I won’t have the car and have to rely on Disney transport. I didn’t choose the views-- they were the cheapest option at each resort. These are room only amounts based off available discounts.

1.) Coronado Springs, Standard Room - $1686.60
  • Cheapest option, 20-30 mins to conference
  • Only bus option, has internal loop

2.) Port Orleans French Quarter*, Garden View - $1806.30
  • Small resort so only 1 bus stop, 20-25 mins to conference
  • Has DS boat, great pool/kiddie area
  • Though theme is just ‘home’ for me, it’s interesting to my husband & 13yo

3.) Caribbean Beach, Preferred Room – $2580.87
  • 20-25 mins to conference
  • Skyliner hub, close to Riviera for extra food options
  • Big resort with internal bus loop

4.) Art of Animation, Cars or Lion King Suite - $2997
  • Possibly shortest commute, 15-20 mins to conference
  • Skyliner + only 1 bus stop
  • Only option for 2 bathrooms and separate sleeping space for teen
  • Also only kitchenette
  • “Okay” pool because no slide (13yo’s words not mine!)

5.) Contemporary, Garden Wing - $3004.66
  • Possibly longest commute, 20-35 mins to conference
  • Monorail, bus, plus WALK TO MK
  • Most expensive option, won’t be fully reimbursed by husband’s company
  • Might not use deluxe extra hours due to dates
  • Least impressive pool area

*Riverside was excluded as the theme is also “home” and I wasn’t impressed by the kiddie area for my toddler.
We've stayed at all of these more than once.

My suggested pecking order for you:
  1. Coronado Springs - The least expensive option with a very nice pool (important since you are there in August) and a good food court. Three Bridges is a fun place to have a meal.
  2. Art of Animation - Fun theming for the kids, the Skyliner, and a suite so you and your spouse can have some alone time in the evening.
  3. Caribbean Beach - Skyliner and a fun main pool. (We particularly like the pool at night.)
  4. Port Orleans French Quarter - I consider this more of a "couples" resort due to its small size and theming. It has (by far) the worst pool area of the four Moderate Resorts.
  5. Contemporary - As the most expensive option, this only makes sense if you plan to spend a lot of time at the Magic Kingdom. As you note, the pool is not particularly good. Each time we've been at this pool, it feels like we're going back to the 1970s.
Don't eliminate Port Orleans Riverside. It has (IMO) the best Moderate Resort pool and the best Moderate Resort food court.

It’s myself, my husband, our 13yo and almost 2yo. We’re going to be there 6 days/7 nights. My husband will be attending a convention during the day at the JW Marriott Grand Lakes for 3 days and joining us for 2-3 park days, and me and the kids will likely do a rest day in the middle of our stay while hubby is at his conference.

We’ve narrowed it down to these options based on budget, availability, commute for hubby, and some preference. Stay is from 08/19-08/26, and I won’t have the car and have to rely on Disney transport. I didn’t choose the views-- they were the cheapest option at each resort. These are room only amounts based off available discounts.

• Also only kitchenette

*Riverside was excluded as the theme is also “home” and I wasn’t impressed by the kiddie area for my toddler.
As much as it pains me to say this, CBR probably as you'd have transportation to boardwalk via skyliner and the pool and kiddie area of pool is nice. We hate how big and sprawling it is, however if you're looking for a nice kid area with transportation options this would fit the bill.

POFQ would be better in my opinion and while no skyliner; you can boat to DS. We also really liked their pool and I believe they have a newish kiddie area.

CR would have been my first choice except for the kiddie area issue.

I would not do the other options.

Not on your list, but have you priced out the Swan or Dolphin? They are typically much cheaper than a Disney boardwalk resort, but you still have the great location.

Honestly for Epcot I would go with CBR. I would avoid the mess that is the front of Epcot at all costs.

Not on your list, but have you priced out the Swan or Dolphin? They are typically much cheaper than a Disney boardwalk resort, but you still have the great location.

Honestly for Epcot I would go with CBR. I would avoid the mess that is the front of Epcot at all costs.
They're unfortunately not available for the dates we're looking at. I had definitely considered them given their perfect proximity to Epcot.

They're unfortunately not available for the dates we're looking at. I had definitely considered them given their perfect proximity to Epcot.

Nuts. Then I would go with CBR. Not typically my favorite moderate, but having the skyliner and entering Epcot at the back is a major plus in my book.

I want to add that I see POFQ is getting tons of votes. It is a great resort. But not for a 13 year old looking for a great pool area. The one pool they have has a slide geared more for little kids. Out of all the moderates POFQ has the least exciting pool for older kids. Imho.

Last edited:
Yes! I looked at those discounts for my totals. Despite loving AKL I had to exclude it because it was too far west on property for my husband, who has to commute to his conference 3 days of the trip.

CSR is not that much further east than AKL though, and it's on your list?

My order would be:

POFQ- decent price, nice theming, kid pool area, 1 bus stop
The pool area is a little lame for a 13 year old, however I would walk over to POR and use their pool area on rest day and use the food court that day too

CR- I love being able to walk to a park. Pool lacks theming but the slide is fun and they do have little splash jets for the toddler. Opens a lot of food options being able to go to the other monorail resorts.
Probably wouldn’t pick this over POFQ just due to the cost, would save it for a trip your husband isn’t commuting and you could take advantage of the extra hours for deluxe

CBR- pool is nice/ skyliner is cool - I wouldn’t pick it do to the cost being so much higher than FQ plus I hate multiple bus stops

AOA- price close to CR- that’s a no for me. However, if you are ok with the cost it would be amazing theming for your kids. I have never stayed there. Would love to one day but when the cost matches a deluxe resort I always choose a deluxe

CSR-never stayed there and probably never will unless it’s the tower
Hate multipe bus stops and there is nothing close to it. At least all of you other options have other resorts or Disney springs to open up dining/exploring options

I also have a 10 year difference between DD and DS so it’s always thought to weigh what works for a teen vs toddler so I would pick what checks the most for your needs.

I'm just wondering how much more commute time it would actually add to your husband's daily trip if you stayed at AKL, because that's definitely where I would stay if someone else were paying for it.

I voted for POFQ, btw. It's my 2nd-choice resort after AKL and it has a lot of advantages for your stay, one of them being how little walking is required there--and it's going to be HOT, very very hot, while you're there. Limiting your walking at your resort will save you some of that out-in-the-heat-and-sun time so you'll have more stamina for the parks.

That's one of the strikes against CR, since walking to MK is hardly a treat in 300-degree weather.

My second choice is AoA suite, because the extra room will be very nice to have. Plus Skyliner. And it's adorbs there.

CSR is not that much further east than AKL though, and it's on your list?
Are you asking why AKL isn't on my list? Honestly, I was going off of Google maps, but I guess there really isn't much of a time difference in commute. A standard room would be $2503.45, so between FQ and CBR in terms of pricing. I just mentally had it in mind that it was too far west, with CSR being the "furthest" I wanted to go, but your point is valid about including CSR if that's the case.

Are you asking why AKL isn't on my list? Honestly, I was going off of Google maps, but I guess there really isn't much of a time difference in commute. A standard room would be $2503.45, so between FQ and CBR in terms of pricing. I just mentally had it in mind that it was too far west, with CSR being the "furthest" I wanted to go, but your point is valid about including CSR if that's the case.

I was just curious how CSR had made the cut since it's really close to AKL.

• Also only kitchenette

In all fairness, I have not stayed at any of these, so I can't speak from that perspective. What I can tell you is that we have stayed off site twice to save money and at WL for all on-site visits. Hands down I would stay onsite at the most convenient place you can afford for a few reasons. First, there is a lot of walking and it will be hot in August. Taking a break in the middle of the day will be important for your enjoyment of the park. I would recommend going back to the hotel in the middle of the day to cool down and take a break. It just makes the mornings and evenings more bearable for everyone. Second, loading up a stroller on the buses can be a pain (for me anyway). That said, they are available if you want to go to another park, and we do ride them occasionally.

Just based on my experience staying at a MK resort, the convenience of that is so worth the money to me because we enjoy MK and Epcot the most. That is where we spend almost all of our time. There just isn't enough that we enjoy at HS and AK, so we just don't go there much. That said, many people do enjoy them, so it is personal preference. Getting on and off the boat to WL is so easy and we always go back to the hotel in the middle of the day to rest and/or swim, but swimming can be tiring, so it depends on our evening plans as to whether that is a good use of our time. Hopping on the monorail from MK to EPCOT is easy, so we can get 2 parks done in a day with PH tickets. Personally, I think park hoppers are worth the money. Also, on your rest day, you could easily visit 3 other resorts with easy transportation to GF, WL and Polynesian. Just visiting the resorts is a fun, relaxing outing.

From your choices above, AoA might be a good option based on the pros you listed. I've read good things about the Skyliner on these boards. It is a more reasonable cost, and those sleeping arrangements might help everyone sleep a little better. It is just going to come down to cost vs. convenience, and I think the parks you are interested in will make a big difference in your decision.

Enjoy your time at WDW!

Thank for your thorough reply! Yes, I talked to my husband this morning and we're leaning away from Contemporary because we're more Epcot people (it's my teen's favorite). We're between AoA and POFQ right now, so I'm really appreciating everyone's input.
If you can swing Beach Club, do it. Amazing pool for your teen, and boardwalk area is wonderful to be in and for getting to Epcot and DHS. Crescent Lake stay at least once is an amazing trip. AKL could be considered if you guys would love seeing the animals, as I imagine the toddler would.
I haven't stayed at POFQ, but I like hearing that it's small and amenities are close to most rooms.
But AoA is very tempting because both kids will have fun at the pools (Bug Blue one day, Ariel the next?) and the suite's separate bedroom with a door. Omg, the value of being able to let a toddler nap and go to bed in separate room while the rest of you can have the lights on and prep for the next day, etc. I know it's not cheap, but it seems the sanest choice. (And I love Landscape of Flavors, so I'm biased there.)
BC (pool, deluxe, location) or AoA (space, separation, quick food, Disney theming).

Just FYI the commute would arguably be better from AKL because you can just go straight out Osceola Pkwy then left on international. Only 3? Lights, so it would be fairly painless. With that being said, although AKL is my 2nd favorite resort on property, I wouldn't recommend staying there alone with 2 kids and no car. Great price though, hmmmm. That's a really tough one. They have a hidden secret, Simbas cubhouse with lots of free activities for kids, games, movies, etc. My kids 9 and 13 still love it. So if it rains its a great place to chill out and not feel stuck in the room.

I voted AoA it after reading comments… Have you looked at pictures of the family suite?
We were in Cars theme suite… Enter with a dining area w/ fold down wall bed and the living room with sofa bed and TV … the room with door has the queen size bed .
It is weird design . But no way is childrens room separate w/ doors.

I vote Contemporary cause of the views for fireworks and nightly Electric Water Pageant . Lots going on w/ many transportation choices… so weather is not going to be your biggest worry.

I would do CBR or CR. I didn't care for POFQ or CSR. CBR is just as spread out as CBR, but at least the food court and pool are near each other at CBR. With a Preferred room, you don't really have the deal with the size. POFQ just felt "cluttered" to me, but I did prefer it to CSR.
I wouldn't go with AKL, unless your kids are fine sharing a bed, or your 2 year old still fits well in a pack n play (mine doesn't). If that works, then AKL would be my first choice. It's just so calming there, and your 13 year old can wander around it during nap time, if he wants to.
My only draw to CR is that your OOP cost would be low.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter