Has Disney gone too far to make a buck?

Kikisstar

To Infinity and Beyond
With the addition of extra hours for extra $$ at the Magic Kingdom, the extremely limited free dining promo that was released last Monday, and the rumors swirling that Shanghai Disney is extremely over budget at this point, I have to pose the question to the fans and avid Disney travelers; has Disney gone too far to make a buck? I have never been opposed to a hard ticket event, such as Mickey's not so Scary. I understand that there are extras perks and benefits to attending this event, and so there's an extra cost. But to now turn around and say we are leaving MK open late for guests... but only if you pay more than the $100+ dollars that your single park ticket already cost you? For shame, Disney. Or how about the famous free dining for the fall promo that makes it affordable for many families to come to Disney if they don't mind pulling their children out of school... but now we are only going to allow the promo to apply to an EXTREMELY limited block of rooms at a limited number of our resorts. And please, don't even try to call in to an agent for assistance. Unless you have half a day to wait on hold, that is. And no, your travel agent can't get through either, so don't ask. With rumors flying that Shanghai has in essence depleted the company, I have to ask, when does it end, Disney? When do you stop gouging your long time travelers, or making us pay for your budgeting shortfalls? Or at the very least make it more difficult for us to travel with our families? Have we reached the tipping point on the scale where some of us cannot, or will not, continue to spend enormous amounts of money to vacation at a Disney property? After years of vacationing with you, Disney, for me and my family, all of these little extras are rapidly approaching our breaking point.

Disney is a business, not a charity. A business's only purpose is to make money, pure and simple. Free dining was never about making Disney affordable, it has always been about filling hotel rooms. Now that business is picking up, it just isn't needed at so many of the resorts. The entire purpose of EMH (which still exist, btw) has always been about filling hotel rooms. Now that business is picking up, they just aren't as necessary as they used to be. Every single decision Disney has ever made has always been about making money.

I realize they're a business, but I feel like they crossed the line when they started throwing paying guests out of the parks so they could charge a second admission price for a special event that isn't that special. Yay, the kids get $1.00 worth of candy and your performers wear their Halloween versions of their costumes in the parade. Yippee! IMO, guests should get reduced priced park tickets for these days since they can't use them in the evenings.

Don't even get me started on the food prices. They've skyrocketed to make the dining plan look like a better buy. I'm at the point where the only way I do Disney is on free dining because the prices are so inflated that I can't bring myself to pay them.

Not too far. When prices and attendance are both up that says something. For me personally there are many things that I don't feel are worth the dollars. I stay offsite. I don't eat their table service. I don't do hoppers. Even though cost per day would be cheap with multiday tickets, I don't want to do more than two theme park days in a year. But I still think their theme parks are awfully fun and a pretty special experience and next year, for example, will be doing a mini trip -- Disneyland this time and doing two theme park days at a slow time.

I am also a Disney stockholder and think they are doing something right and have a great brand.

The hard ticketed events in theory really looked like double dipping to me too. Till I went during the day before a hard ticket event and saw that what it gave me were low crowds Yeah! And on top of that it game me an excuse to skip the night time parade and fireworks. And unlike so many fans of Disney I was sooo thrilled to be able to skip these. I would love it never to go to another parade or fireworks display. My family really wasn't all that disappointed, but if we had gone on another day, someone would have probably wanted to stay, and I would have gone along.

Last edited:
Don't they throw people out for the Halloween and christmas parties too? It's nothing new. Thet don't charge a lower price regular ticket those days. You pay the same whether the park is open until 9 or midnight.

And as far as food, they're about the same as most entertainment places. I pay more at baseball and football games. Let's not talk about movie theater prices!

I understand its not cheap to go there, bit you shouldn't get mad at a business for being a business.

It is what it is. Disney is extremely popular right now attendance is up and climbing. Come the coming recession it'll calm back down it's just a point on the cycle. Prices will come back down. to be honest if they were not making hay while the sun shines they would be letting their shareholders and employees down.

We still go but we have DVC we have our room pre paid. We don't do a lot of park time and if we had to cut that out we wouldn't be upset. Food well we have a few favourites but we are also happy to cook in our room and eat offsite. We would find ways to still use our DVC without bleeding cash.

We've been loyalnDusney addicts for years. 19 trips since 2003 with stays as long as 18 days.

I've accepted every increase but for some reason this newest Early Morning and Late Night extra events just pushed me over the edge.

For the first time in 13 years we are skipping Disney. Instead we are doing a Universal/Sea World vacation for a lot less money and a lot less stress. No planning where we will be eating or what we will be riding six months in advance

Disney doesn't need incentives right now to fill their park and rooms, so we are seeing an increase in prices. But don't worry, the second attendance starts lacking those incentives will come back with full force. It's the normal up-and-down pattern everything goes thrown. Disney is just on their "up" right now, it's going to fall back down sooner than later.

I completely understand that Disney is a business and they exist to make money. I am also a Disney stockholder, and I enjoy when my stock is up, please don't get me wrong. I also understand and agree that if people keep paying, they'll keep going; it's the nature of capitalism, and I enjoy our capitalist society. My question is simply with all of these relatively new add-ons, and the reduction of once popular discounts or incentives, have we reached the point where people are going to stop paying to come? My party is set to come in September, but as my entire group couldn't get free dining, two of them have since decided not to come. As Disneymomx7 above said, she's skipping Disney this year and doing Universal/Sea World. So are we now reaching the peak of what we as travelers are willing to pay to experience Disney? Have they gone too far in the quest for profit for their guests to continue paying their prices?

I think that Disney is getting a dose of reality with its overpriced DAH. Reports from the first few nights have been that the park is nearly empty, even with a large number of free tickets being distributed to the media. Just last week, they announced discounted tickets for AP and DVC members...half off the gate price! Of course, AP holders and DVCer's often get perks that the rest of the world don't, but not to the tune of 50% off of anything. What this tells me is that Disney totally missed the mark when pricing this event and in estimating the level of enthusiasm that the public would have for spend so much for what amounts to 3 hours of exclusive access to the attractions and some Mickey Bars. I'm getting the feeling that the $75 price tag seems to be more acceptable to a lot of people, based on the posts on the TPAS.

I just wonder how many people will still be willing to pay $149 per person for DAH or if Disney will increase the number of tickets sold each night to make up for the reduced-price tickets they are selling to AP/DVC.

Last edited:
I completely understand that Disney is a business and they exist to make money. I am also a Disney stockholder, and I enjoy when my stock is up, please don't get me wrong. I also understand and agree that if people keep paying, they'll keep going; it's the nature of capitalism, and I enjoy our capitalist society. My question is simply with all of these relatively new add-ons, and the reduction of once popular discounts or incentives, have we reached the point where people are going to stop paying to come? My party is set to come in September, but as my entire group couldn't get free dining, two of them have since decided not to come. As Disneymomx7 above said, she's skipping Disney this year and doing Universal/Sea World. So are we now reaching the peak of what we as travelers are willing to pay to experience Disney? Have they gone too far in the quest for profit for their guests to continue paying their prices?

I doubt it.

The average visitor doesn't know anything about free dining or any of the other issues you mention. Most people don't go every year, or even every few years. And they certainly don't put the kind of effort into researching that you typically see around here.

Those visitors who are going on a once (or twice) in a lifetime trip are Disney's bread and butter and those are the people who are willing to pay for all of those extras.

I feel, and this is JMO, that Disney is going to see a bit of a slide. Yes, attendance is up and rooms are filling however they are turning off some very loyal people. Some are finally saying enough is enough. I'm reading this and hearing this more and more over the last few months. I am among those people.

This is the first year we are not sailing with Disney, we are sailing RCL. We went to an all inclusive resort in March, something that would have typically been a Disney sailing. This also marks the first year we will be splitting our Disney stay with Universal. Other than a night at Disney before a Disney cruise we have never stayed less than 7 nights, often 14 or more. This October we are only staying 4 nights and then moving over to Cabana Bay. I'm actually looking forward to the changes we have made for this year. I'm thinking we may not ever sail dcl again if Royal proves to be as good as I'm hearing, and with all the new things at Universal WDW may take the back burner to.

We can certainly afford both DCL and WDW however we are choosing not to. When we can do twice as much for what Disney costs us, well, we have to walk away.
We to are share holders and I'm glad they are doing well, I just don't think it will be able to sustain itself.
Again, JMO.

We have also cut back and this is from a family who goes about once every 3 to 5 years. We use to do all 4 parks but haven't done that since 2004. We don't use park hoppers and packed our own lunch last October for our MK day. At AK we were finished with the park in about 4 hours so we never spent a single penny on food or souvenirs there. Instead, we left the park and went and ate elsewhere. Also, we never have stayed on site as it has never been cost effective for us.

We are going back in Oct 2017 but are only doing 1 park day and 1 Halloween party. The rest of our week will be doing other non Disney things in the area which are much more affordable.

I really have no issues with the Halloween/Christmas parties. You can go in at 4, stick around until 12:30 or so, and it's around $70. The other parks are open later if 9-7 in the MK isn't enough. For us, that's plenty.

To answer the question-no Disney has not crossed the line. Parks are jammed. Many schools are out over free dining-some start after Labor Day. We start fall break the day after free dining starts. We are on Christmas break during the free dining period also.

Everything else is relative. If someone wants to spend $149 for 3 hours, great. If folks want to spend $50 and have Donald Duck stop by for a minute, great. If you want to dress like a princess, go bowling, parasail, hit a backstage safari, snorkel at Epcot, park hop, golf, ride a tethered balloon, and other things, go at it and have fun. It's not my place to judge how you spend your money on vacation. For us, we have a blast hitting the parks, relaxing by our resort pool, eating counter service(or gasp, cook in the room), taking midday naps, and keeping the extras at a bare minimum.

I realize they're a business, but I feel like they crossed the line when they started throwing paying guests out of the parks so they could charge a second admission price for a special event that isn't that special. Yay, the kids get $1.00 worth of candy and your performers wear their Halloween versions of their costumes in the parade. Yippee! IMO, guests should get reduced priced park tickets for these days since they can't use them in the evenings.

Don't even get me started on the food prices. They've skyrocketed to make the dining plan look like a better buy. I'm at the point where the only way I do Disney is on free dining because the prices are so inflated that I can't bring myself to pay them.

How about some personal responsibility? If you see the hours for MK and it closes at 7, then how about you don't go that day so that you get your money's worth? Don't blame Disney because you can't look up park hours and see that there is an even scheduled that day. Its not like a surprise over the PA system that day guests have to leave the park. If you choose to go on one of those days that is ALL on you.

How about some personal responsibility? If you see the hours for MK and it closes at 7, then how about you don't go that day so that you get your money's worth? Don't blame Disney because you can't look up park hours and see that there is an even scheduled that day. Its not like a surprise over the PA system that day guests have to leave the park. If you choose to go on one of those days that is ALL on you.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that they can't read the park hours, or that they can't read a schedule and know there's a hard ticket night event. But for some guests they don't have the option of choosing a different day to go to MK with their children. And unfortunately for those guests, their one day pass cost the same as the following day's guests who were able to stay until 11:00 with EMH. Sad, but true. Again, the hard ticket events aren't really my gripe, as I do think there's an extra atmosphere and certain benefits that come along with that extra cost. My chief concern is the apparent trend to now 'sell' you something that was previously included in your ticket price. Yes, I'm acutely aware that Disney giveth and Disney can taketh away. But when does it end? When does the public reach a point where only the elite can afford to go? It'll be the happiest place on earth... For the 1%.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that they can't read the park hours, or that they can't read a schedule and know there's a hard ticket night event. But for some guests they don't have the option of choosing a different day to go to MK with their children. And unfortunately for those guests, their one day pass cost the same as the following day's guests who were able to stay until 11:00 with EMH. Sad, but true. Again, the hard ticket events aren't really my gripe, as I do think there's an extra atmosphere and certain benefits that come along with that extra cost. My chief concern is the apparent trend to now 'sell' you something that was previously included in your ticket price. Yes, I'm acutely aware that Disney giveth and Disney can taketh away. But when does it end? When does the public reach a point where only the elite can afford to go? It'll be the happiest place on earth... For the 1%.

EMH only applies to on-site guests so MK is not open until 11 for everyone.
These parties have been going on for years.
If a guest chooses, and no matter what it is a choice, to go on a party day then its on them. Disney is not kicking them out, they are able to stay in the park for the entire time the park is open to non party guests.

Disney is not a charity, it doesn't have to make itself affordable for everyone in the whole world to be able to visit.
There are also ways to make Disney affordable. Extras are just that, extras, if you can't afford them well then you can't have them. Disney doesn't owe anyone anything.
Fact is more money gets you more things. People can't seem to accept that especially when it comes to a Disney vacation.

I don't think disney is different than any other amusement attraction. For instance, my local zoo does a big halloween thing every year, I think they have like 20 party dates in september and october. They kick paying Zoo guests out 2 hours earlier on those days and charge admission for the Halloween party that is 2 times the amount of regular admission. Their party prices increase significantly the closer to halloween it gets. While the amounts are smaller, because it is a local zoo and not disney, the concept is the same. And as annual pass holders we get a significant discount on the Halloween party admission, so no different than disney pass holders getting a discount on things.

Disney doesn't owe admission to anyone. If a family can't afford a disney trip it might be disappointing, but I don't know if I'd call it sad. Cancer is sad, car wrecks are sad. Having to take a vacation that is within your means is just reality. Just like I can't afford a 7000 square foot home with a private pool and a personal chef. I'd really enjoy that lifestyle and I'm a bit disappointed to know that will never be my reality, but it isn't sad. I'm not up in arms at the greedy personal chefs who want to be paid the most profitable wage possible or at the selfish construction companies who are over pricing the value of that 7000 square foot house. I'm not even cursing my evil employer for not paying me a billion dollars a year. I just do my best to maximize my earnings and live within my means and not get worked up about the things out of my reach.

Last edited:
I don't know why anyone thinks I'm suggesting that Disney is or should be a charity. I want Disney to make money. I want to give Disney my money. If you ask my three-year-old she'll tell you the only reason mommy goes to work is so we can go to Disney. If Disney stopped making money, I would have to sell my stock, which would not make me happy. People do not always choose when they can go to Disney. You want to suggest that everyone chooses the day they're going to be there, but that's just not the case. As an example, what about the mom whose company sends her on a business trip, and the trip happens to be in Disney. Mom gets free airfare, a free hotel room for herself, and free park tickets for herself as a company perk. Because mom's company is generous, the company allows her to bring her children along, and her spouse or whomever else she chooses, and they can stay in her room also for free. Now the whole family gets to go to Disney World for the cost of the additional airfare, and park tickets for the additional guests. The catch is, the company is only paying for the room for one night, leaving the family only one day to spend in the park, and of course we have to go to the iconic Magic Kingdom if you're only there for one day. I realize that this example is an extremely limited example of what might be a reason that someone would be only able to spend one day, and one particular day at that, in the park. But my point is not everybody gets to choose when they're there.

I am not suggesting that Disney should be free. I am also not suggesting that Disney should be cheap. I am however suggesting that if Disney's going to be as outrageously expensive as it always has been, that I'm not fond of all these little additions. And yes, the argument is if you don't like it don't pay for it. I understand that. But you start taking away discounts to people have come to hope for, and you keep adding on little expenses that people now have to choose whether or not to pay for in the hopes that they might get to ride the rides after the excruciatingly long lines during the day, at some point in time the market is going to reach a breaking point.

My only question is, have we not reached a breaking point? And if not, what would be the straw that breaks the camel's back?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter