Has anyone ever gone to Disney for New Years

ArithaL

Earning My Ears
This new years my sister and I were sitting watching Dick Clark as usual. When the clock struck midnight they showed all the spots that were celebrating with the Dick Clark show, one spot they showed was DisneyWorld. My sister got this great ideal to take her 6 yr old and her cousin to Disney for New Years.

Has anyone ever gone at this time? Are there scheduled events;any parties? We are thinking of staying at the MOWC or off site to save money and I am currently looking for airfare.

Any suggestions or past experience anyone has would greatly be appreciated.

Happy New Year!!!!

We went this past year over NYE and we had a great time. However, you need to be prepared for very large crowds. I have been over spring breaks before and they didn't compare to NYE. You'll definitely need to stay for at least a week if you plan to all the rides, which with small children it would be hard to tell them they are just in Disney to absorb the atmosphere so I imagine you'd be focusing on rides and holiday events. We stayed 12/27-1/4 and were able to see everything we wanted to. This, however, did not include visiting many characters for photos, autographs, etc. If we passed a character with no line or a very short line we would go, but other than that we skipped most of them. Additionally, we stayed onsite. Though it may be cheaper to stay offsite during this time of year since the prices onsite are so high, it is almost a necessity to stay onsite due to the crowds. Definitely look into the All Star rates for when you'll be there as you may be able to get a cheap rate. If you arrive before a certain date you can get the value rates and also those same rates go back into effect 1/1 so make 2 reservations if you have to. While we were there, AK filled to capacity once and so did MK and as a result if you had gone in the morning, left to nap or rest during the day, you may not have gotten back in when you returned. We never napped during the day on previous trips, but the crowds really exhaust you so it was necessary for us. Also, the lines midday are about 1.5-2 hours, even at less popular rides so if you want to see anything at those times prepare to wait in line a very long time. Fastpasses also didn't help much midday as the return times were usually late evening (we got one for Test Track at 1pm for a return time of 7:30pm on 1/1, around 2:45 all the fastpasses for the day were gone and the ride had shut down due to mechanical repairs; when it went back up the standby wait was over 2 hours since there were no fastpasses left). Because of this, we found it much more practical to wake up early and arrive at the designated EE park for EE (which was 7am for most parks until 1/1). We would then stay at the park until about 1-2pm, then go back to the hotel and nap or just relax, and then go back around 6pm when the crowds were thinning again. Doing it this way allowed us to get on every ride and see every attraction, with the exception of most of Mickey's Toontown Fair and the parades since we had seen them all last December. Without EE, however, we never would have been able to see this much as the extra hour was a huge help, also, the offiste guests formed long lines to get in at regular opening times that if you were not in the front of the line you'd have to wait about 15 minutes to get in.
As far as NYE parties for young kids, there aren't really any geared towards them, as the majority of events are at Pleasure Island, the Boardwalk, and restaurants such as the California Grill. Kids are welcome at many of those parties, though the price at California Grill for example was $300/child and $500/adult. However, the general festivities at the parks are included in your admission price and are a great way to celebrate. You'll get hats, horns, fireworks, etc. So with the kids, I would opt for that, however just be sure you bring some ponchos along as this year it rained all night long, and pretty heavy too.
No matter where you stay or what you do, you'll have a great time as it is a very festive place to be for the holidays. Just be sure to keep EE in mind when you decide on where to stay and also that if you plan to leave and come back later in the day, there's a good chance you won't get in if you're offsite.

My WW and I were at WDW from 12/29 to 1/04 and the crowds were huge. The MK was bursting at the seams. It would have been a bad time to be visiting WDW for the first time. Being closer to 60 than 50 we had a quiet night. After dinner at Cape May we battled the rain and were back to the CBR by 10- a good book and lights out . Epcot was rather quiet the next morning. If you just love WDW then you can survive the crowds, it is not a good time to "do" Disney.

I have to say, I would probably never do it again. We were there this year until the 30th... that was enough for us! I remember the year we were there for New Years... I went to MGM that day... and left by noon because it got TOO crowded!

I agree, I'd never do it again.

We were there Dec.26, 1998 until Jan 2, 99... Epcot was packed to capacity, no where to move, parents were yelling at people to move so their little kids to could see fireworks, etc... we left as the fireworks were going off. (that's the only way we could get back on the monorail before we knew it'd be mobbed.) ... 3 hours wait for Space Mountain? I don't think so!!

I'll go "off season" :) IT's cheaper with my DVC points!

I have to agree with the "TOO CROWDED" comments.

It was a few years ago and we thought it would be fun to be at Disney for NYE. By 7 PM that night, my DW had a terrible headache from the crowds and the constant NYE horns that had already been blowing since late afternoon. So we left Epcot to go back to the hotel for a nap, figuring we'd get back to the parks in time for midnight, nice and rested.

Can anyone guess what happened next?

We woke up at 8 AM the next morning. Totally missed the NYE celebrations. :p

Although the decorations were nice, it was way too crowded for us. Next time we want to see the decorations, we'll go the week after Thanksgiving.

We went to the "every night is NYE" at Pleasure Island. That was packed too, but the actual "Hooray, it's midnight" seemed to come and go pretty quickly. Not a repeat for us either.

We went New Years 2000/2001 and 2001/2002. Both years we had a great time. It was crowded, but was well, worth it. The festivities were great, as all Disney events are. If you go, just keep in mind the crowds. You need to make your reservations well in advance. We stayed at the All Star Sports one year and the All Star Movies the next because the discounts are never very good. Also, make priority seatings for meals. The parks will fill up on New Year's Eve and they stop letting people into them. The first year we went to MGM and the next year we went to Epcot. When we went to Epcot we had lunch at the Garden Grille and dinner at the Rose and Crown. Garden Grille was a nice spot to take about an hour to rest and relax. Rose and Crowne was great because midnight in England is 7pm in Florida, so you get to celebrate early. Also, it is a great spot to view the early Illuminations.

Have fun.

We were there from 12/28-1/4 last year for the 2002 New Year. We spent the NYE at Epcot. We sat down to watch the fireworks at around 8:30. It was packed. We went to MK on 12/28 and 1/3 and I have to say that I have never been so miserable in my life. It took us almost 30 minutes to walk from It's a Small World to the castle. Not to mention the weather was very cold. We will never go again during this time. But I am sure that if you go you make the most it. Good luck in your decision.

We were there for New Years Eve two years ago and it was great. There are special shows going on all over Disney World. But I would not take two children there for their first visit. As everyone has said, the parks are crowded and you won't get to go on many rides because of the long wait. And when the parks get to capacity they won't let in anyone unless you are staying on site or have a multi day park pass which you have already been using. So, it's great for adults but not for small children.

We have been 4 out of the last 5 New Year's, and it is verrryy crowded. We usually go in October as well, and do the rides and go to the water park, get character autographs, etc. In Dec./Jan., we see the Candlelight Processional(we usually do this on the 29th or 30th), the Osborne Lights at MGM, and stay at the Boardwalk for the festive atmosphere. Even though we have enjoyed WDW during NY,I am not sure if we will do it next year. We noticed last month that everyone was rude, from the guests to some of the CM's. My kids said they would rather skip it next year in favor of...staying home?!! They did enjoy the Disney cruise this past October, though, and perhaps they were just comparing the parks to the cruise(and the cruise wins hands down for all of them). If you decide to go, I suggest you stay on-property to take advantage of the early park entry, as 2 parks opened early each day instead of the usual one. With a 6-year-old, you will do much better by getting into the parks early.

We noticed last month that everyone was rude, from the guests to some of the CM's. My kids said they would rather skip it next year in favor of...staying home?!!

I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed this! We stayed from 12/19 - 01/01 and the change in the crowd attitude from Christmas Eve on was amazing. I've always said that I thought for the most part, the people visiting there were some of the most pleasant I'd ever found at a vacation spot. Not this year! They fought on the busses...I'm talking one stranger to another, they mouthed each other in the parks..it was awful!

I thought we were going to have a fist fight on one bus ride back to our resort. It was very crowded and there were lots of people standing. Right across from us there was a woman taking one seat and her child (maybe 3 at most) was laying across the other 2. Of course she didn't make the kid sit up, nevermind putting him in her lap. Minutes after the bus started moving the woman screamed at the lady standing beside her to get her **** package off her kid. Apparently the bag the woman was holding was touching the kid. The two of them went at it the entire ride back to our resort. Some magic, huh?:(

We saw the Dick Clark show in 2001 and that's what made us go too. It's a little different when you're really there. I'm glad we went and we had a wonderful time despite the crowd attitude, but we'll never go back that time of year again.

The 2002-2003 New Years was awsome! I unfortunately had to work it and of course I was at the front of the park at a merchandise shop. I was working till 12am. But sneaky me left about 10 mints (that is what I love about my job noone knows where I go) before the show was to start. The only bad thing was it was pouring RAIN! I mean it was sad that it was raining and all the guest were going home but for me it was the best New Years I ever had. They had each country in the world showcase who had celebrated new years before usa set fire works off it was awsome and soo cool. I had rung in the new years with my fellow cp's and i was taking pictures of the fire works and well i was talking to my mom on the phone while on stage. How daring of me!!! I think for the rest of my life I will try to celebrate NYE at WDW!!

I know I already posted, but I forget to tell the you the most important thing. Regardless of all of the posts that will tell you they'd never go back, it was so crowded, cold, etc., you will have a wonderful time when you go despite all of that. Yes, I too told you about the large crowds, but I also said I saw everything I wanted to. Yes, we were there 8.5 days, but it did not take all of those days to see everything, I think we did it in about 6.5, which isn't that bad considering we weren't in the parks from about 2-6 everyday and had sit-down dinners and either a sit-down breakfast or lunch everyday. Those meals took about another 3 hours out of our days too, so if you skip those meals and don't nap everyday you could do it in less time that the 6.5 days we took. But do seriously consider staying onsite as it really will be a huge help in getting to do what you want in terms of parks and rides. Also, be sure to stay make more of your stay fall after 1/1 than before 12/31 since the crowds are a little lighet after 1/1 and the value season starts then so your rooms will be cheaper.

We went Dec 23rd thru Jan 2nd on our first trip (ever) to DisneyWorld. We went totally oblivious to the fact that it was the busiest week of the year- it was a spur of the moment trip and I really didn't have time to research things.
We had a great time. It was VERY crowded and we had to make good use of fast passes. No, we didn't get to see every parade or show we wanted to nor did we get to ride every single ride we wanted to- but we only spent 4 days in the WDW parks. We were there from as early as we could be (had our own vehicle but overslept a few times and stayed offsite so we couldn't take advantage of extra magic hour anyway) and left either early evening or late evening- on Christmas day I returned by myself for a few hours before close and it was nice then.
So if you want to go early (staying onsite to take advantage of EE?) and either stay all day and brave the crowds or leave midday and come back in the late evening- you might enjoy it more.

We then spent 3 days at US/IOA and it wasn't quite as crowded.

We did have a great time- but pretty much nothing could have caused us not to. It was our first trip to WDW! (my first at 33yrs old!)

However..... now having gone at a "value season" time recently- I will probably never go at Christmas time again. Not unless I just really can't swing going at another time or unless the kids are older (ie: not so young you freak out if they get 2 steps away from you and it's so packed that you can't see them because even 2 steps away means tons of people between you and them- and also not so young as to need to try to get around the crowds with strollers/etc.) It was SOOOOOOO different. Absolutely no need to even bother with fastpasses- in fact most of the time the FP weren't even turned on/available during my stay! There was hardly ANY wait for a line and I got to spoiled during this trip that it got to where a 10min wait in line seemed long. (ha! Compare that to 90min+ on our last trip! We lived off fastpasses only on our last trip! There was no way we could wait in those long lines with our children -especially the youngest!)

So it's really in your perspective. We had fun, but I/we didn't know what I know now.. that it's so much fun to go when it's not so crowded. I wouldn't change a thing about our trip though. I'm glad my first day ever at WDW was MK on Christmas day! But from now on- we'll be going during the less busy times. You should go just with the foreknowledge that it will be very crowded but don't let anything else negative there get you down- just enjoy! :)

We spent one NYE at Epcot and it was a neat experience, but we'll never do it again. At least not with little ones. The place was packed !!!! We were hardly able to move. But it was cool to "countdown" in WDW.

Thanks to everyone that has responded, we have decided to go the week after Thanksgiving. We are stressed enough with the day to day grind, whey go to our favorite place on earth and not be able to enjoy it the way we want.. Maybe when the girls get older we'll do disney at NYE....

ArithaL-
Wise decision. If your kids are young enough that you can be flexible, the week after Christmas will have a lot of the same shows and decorations as NYE, without the crowds. My kids are too old to pull out of school anymore :( , so we can only go at the busiest times. The only exception to our school schedule is the 3-5 days we get out in early Oct., and I ALWAYS go to WDW then. When we go for NYE, I really love the shows and special fireworks, but I am beginning to dislike the crowds more. I hope you have a great time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter