Has anyone considered Teach for America?

FutureAshleyDukes

DIS Veteran<br><font color=red>Hot dog, I love tha
One of my good friends just graduated last year and is trying to talk me into Teach For America. I was wondering if anyone has looked into the program, and what they thought of it?

www.teachforamerica.com

i haven't done teach for america, but i know a lot of girls i graduated with this past may are working for them right now, i also know many from previous graduating years as well. all of them seem to love it. for some reason it's incredibly popular at my school. they were constantly at my school recruiting. all i got from sitting through the same lecture twice (she came to talk during my classes) was that they are majorly looking for people in the sciences, because apparently at schools in the low income communities they don't have people who actually know science teaching it (ie. they mainly have english teachers teaching science). if you want a two year commitment, where you get a fairly low salary (i think it's like 25,000$) and you get a small stipend (about 4,000$ each year) towards your preexisting loans (or if you don't have those, then for any future education costs)... then it's for you.

it wasn't for me.

I strongly disagree with some of their recruitment practices, namely, mass emails, despite repeated requests for them to stop emailing me. I finally got them to stop, when I threatened legal action for harassment. (it had gotten to the point that I was receiving at least 2 emails a week from them)

Just wanted to mention that I live in an area served by Teach for America, the Rio Grande Valley in Texas. Every year we have lots of teachers that come from that program. I've spoken to many of them, and they are all happy to have made the decision to join and come here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter