Happy in Hawaii –- Aulani & Oahu with a Toddler ~ Updated 7/20: Final Update and link to new TR!

You are there! Really really there! It's all so pretty! Looks like Izzy is pretty excited to be there! Of course she didn't want yo sleep!

I've had to change a handful of gnarly diapers on the plane already and it's definitely not fun. Especially when it's the 2-11 month poopy diapers that are runny and loose! :crazy2:

Izzy did AMAZING on that long flight! What a good little traveler you got there.

Those malasadas look so delicious! I'll need to remember this if/when we go in a few years.

Super cute fleece! Great buy.

My mom always brings a can of febreeze with her, even on a quick weekend trip! So that's one thing I don't have to write down on my list:thumbsup2

I'm shocked Disney doesn't have signage all over the place. Very strange.

Love the room! Can't wait to see your view during the day from the balcony!

Yay!!! You made it!!!

Lol at Izzy not wanting to sleep! of course not! She had been looking forward to this for months! ;)
Very true! She did a great job adjusting to a new time zone, that's for sure. The whole idea was to stay up to a "normal" bedtime (for us) and she did that too - never mind the 4 hour difference. :rotfl: And then some extra time after that...

So, to the best of my understanding, Han and Darth got married to each other, did a lot of hugging, and they also showed off their gymnastics/dancing skills by repeatedly doing the splits.

LOL-this is so cute! :)The first time we took our daughter to Hawaii she was about Izzys age and she played with her Teletubbie dolls through out the whole trip the same way so we have an old photo album filled with Teletubbies on the beach, in restaurants, in an airplane, relaxing on hotel beds-you get the idea...
I LOVE your idea of having a family picture/selfie in the lobby when you arrived, I hope I remember to do that the next time we go!
Aw, I bet you have some cute pictures of your daughter with her Teletubbies! Izzy just played with these guys on the plane and in the room, I think. And we got her some Disney character figurines from the Aulani gift shop that she LOVED and they became her main toy for the trip - they did come in the car with us, but I think we kept them there in order to not lose them while out and about.

Yeah, try to grab a quick family picture - nice to commemorate arrival. Or, if it's earlier in the day, I know I saw Photopass photographers doing them too.

I see Diet Dr Pepper- the drink of the Gods! Nice room!
Haha, I actually wished we had gotten more than one pack of Diet Dr. Pepper - that was the only one we finished. I also really like Dr. Pepper Ten - not sure why I didn't get any - maybe it wasn't included in the sale?

We really liked the room. I have zero complaints. I'd live there, happily! :rotfl2:

Gotta love that toddler energy when you least expect it!

I'm looking forward to seeing your night exploration pictures!
I could not believe that she was still going at that hour. It was SOOOOO far past her bedtime, not to mention the minimal naps. Guess she was excited to be in Hawaii too.

The resort was really interesting to see at night - so empty and quiet!

You are there! Really really there! It's all so pretty! Looks like Izzy is pretty excited to be there! Of course she didn't want yo sleep!
Yeah, who can blame her for wanting to see the place we spent so long getting to? It is a really beautiful resort. Ah, I love arrival days! :cloud9:

I've had to change a handful of gnarly diapers on the plane already and it's definitely not fun. Especially when it's the 2-11 month poopy diapers that are runny and loose! :crazy2:
Ugh, I'm glad I never had to deal with that! At least this was solid. :faint:

Izzy did AMAZING on that long flight! What a good little traveler you got there.
She really did well - thanks to movies! I'm glad she is old enough now to have a good attention span for them - it was a lot harder to keep her occupied before.

Those malasadas look so delicious! I'll need to remember this if/when we go in a few years.
Yes, definitely keep them in mind! They are worth a quick stop!

Super cute fleece! Great buy.
Thanks, we love it!

My mom always brings a can of febreeze with her, even on a quick weekend trip! So that's one thing I don't have to write down on my list:thumbsup2
Ha, your mom is on top of things! :thumbsup2 I hadn't even thought of it until I passed that endcap display and the clearance sign caught my eye. Not a bad item to have on a trip, though.

I'm shocked Disney doesn't have signage all over the place. Very strange.
It really threw me off! We saw the entrance the first time, but didn't think it could possibly be the main entrance, as it was so modest. I guess Disney is just different in Hawaii.

Love the room! Can't wait to see your view during the day from the balcony!
It was really nice for a standard view! No ocean or anything, but I think the view was very much like what the "island view" category includes.

We headed down the elevator and out into the pool area to explore. Our main goal was to orient ourselves a bit as to where everything was located. One of our first stops was Aunty’s Beach House, the kids’ club:

I thought this light fixture was cool:

Because Izzy was only 2 on this trip, she wouldn’t be able to use the kids’ club without an adult (open house times). Bummer, as it was a free thing included in our stay, but we couldn’t utilize the babysitting at all. :sad: Izzy and I did go over to an open house toddler event there later, though.

Just down the walk from there is the sit-down restaurant Ama Ama:

And then there were pools! It was so odd at night – everything was so calm and quiet and they were actually doing some pool cleaning and such:

(That’s the JW Marriott in the background).

Dug stopped into here:

Izzy and I wandered around the area a bit. I noticed there was a square in the walkway that sometimes lit up like the Epcot sparkling walkways at night. That was cool. :thumbsup2 Then Dug joined back up with us.

We made note of where things were, like Ulu Café (can refill mugs there) and the various pools and hot tubs. We were all getting very tired, though, so we headed back to the room to get Izzy (and ourselves) to bed.

And then I realized that I’d forgotten to retrieve our car! Ooops! :eek: I went down to the valet and they pulled it around for me. I looped around and parked it in the self-park garage (room key card gave free admittance, as we were staying on DVC points). Our trusty rental car:

I did find the spaces to be fairly narrow in the garage – especially when you are trying to get a toddler in and out of a carseat. :crowded: Workable, but I tried to find spaces on the end or with no neighbors after that.

The parking garage is partially open-air, depending on what level you’re on:

Throughout our stay, I learned a couple things:

1.) There is an exit to the side street on the bottom level. Allows you to get out to the highway without having to make a u-turn. Only did this once or twice, but nice. However, I think you can only get out, as we tried to get in once and it said "Cast Members Only". :confused3

2.) I really liked parking on the same level as the lobby (P2, I think? – whatever says lobby). It was nice to not have to bother with the elevator and just walk straight over to the building and inside. It was also pretty convenient for leaving, as the main exit was nearby. :thumbsup2

I walked back across the resort to our room, stopping to take a mural picture on the way:

Look who finally passed out:

Up next: Breakfast with Mickey, Minnie, and Goofy!

It looks so peaceful!

That stinks about not being able to take advantage of the kids club. That is just like on the cruise. Is the minimum age 3?

Parking garages always make me nervous with their tiny parking spots!

How pretty!!
It really is a beautiful resort! Day and night. Loved it! :thumbsup2

It looks so peaceful!

That stinks about not being able to take advantage of the kids club. That is just like on the cruise. Is the minimum age 3?
Yes, it's 3 AND potty-trained (and has to be BOTH). However, unlike the cruise, there is no nursery option. The closest thing is the non-Disney babysitting service that will come to your room - like the Kids Nite Out at WDW, but a different company. And it is VERY expensive. I think like $30/hour with a 4-hour minimum. So there are definite advantages to waiting until 3 or older for Aulani - unlike the cruise, you are not paying extra for them to come along either (well, except at the buffet you would be).

Parking garages always make me nervous with their tiny parking spots!
I agree - plus, all those concrete pillars! Some were right by where the back door opens, so impossible to get a kid out. :sad2: Not to mention driving a rental car that you aren't all that familiar with and are more paranoid than normal about scratching up!

Aw poop about the Kids Club. So it's free for anyone to use as long as they're over 3? Is there a maximum amount of time they can be in there? :rolleyes1:lmao: By the time we're thinking of going, he'd definitely be 3 :cool1:

Aw poop about the Kids Club. So it's free for anyone to use as long as they're over 3? Is there a maximum amount of time they can be in there? :rolleyes1:lmao: By the time we're thinking of going, he'd definitely be 3 :cool1:
Yep, and I don't believe there are any maximums. They do have special activities you can sign up for that cost extra, but otherwise free!

The age limit us the whole reason we are going this summer instead of last! My kids will be 3 and 4.5! I'm going to sign them up for one of the premium things during g our Ama Ama dinner, so I know they will be stuck there a while! Actually my kids love things like that, so I am hoping Auntys is a hit!

The age limit us the whole reason we are going this summer instead of last! My kids will be 3 and 4.5! I'm going to sign them up for one of the premium things during g our Ama Ama dinner, so I know they will be stuck there a while! Actually my kids love things like that, so I am hoping Auntys is a hit!

That's a good plan! If this trip had been something we had "planned" (vs. a spur-of-the-moment price glitch), we'd have waited until Izzy was at least 3 to go. However, she was generally a good travel companion and kindly slept through our Ama Ama dinner in her stroller. :thumbsup2 I think your kids will like Aunty's - there seems to be a lot to do and good CMs there (just based on our morning open house/Stitch dance party event that we did).

So in for this trip to Hawaii! So jealous too! Yay on the great DVC deal and being able to rent points. Just awesome!

And the first class upgrade. Wow - that is just lovely! Izzy looks so darn comfortable. She is really adorable. She also seems so well behaved. I can't imagine flying with my boys at that age. It would have been a disaster. :lmao:

I am down to the least 1.5 hours of your flight. I just love your chronical of the trip so far. What long day but you're almost there. :thumbsup2

OH My - Poopy diaper in the plane bathroom....:rotfl2: I never considered that would happen, but with an all day flight I guess its bound to!

Wonderful rate on your rental car. Did Mark rent from Costco too? Just planning ahead .....:rolleyes1

You guys really are troopers going to both Costco and Target on your arrival night. :worship: I probably would have stopped after the donuts from heaven and gone straight to the resort. :rotfl2:

Oh - and that fleece IS super cute. :thumbsup2

So in for this trip to Hawaii! So jealous too! Yay on the great DVC deal and being able to rent points. Just awesome!
Thanks for coming over! :welcome: I still can't believe how this trip came together. It was like winning the lottery or something - just unreal. I mean, 3 of us flew first class and stayed 9 nights at Aulani for a grand total of $1800 for both room and airfare. :teacher: :eek: :cool1: At least I know I can get a decent DVC deal in the future (though probably not quite as good as the 7 for 5), but I'll never get flights for dirt cheap again. :sad2: And the thing about Aulani, as everyone seems to say, is that it makes you want to return...ASAP.

And the first class upgrade. Wow - that is just lovely! Izzy looks so darn comfortable. She is really adorable. She also seems so well behaved. I can't imagine flying with my boys at that age. It would have been a disaster. :lmao:
Thanks, she did pretty well for being stuck on a long flight as a 2-year-old. Thank goodness for the movies, though - that made a world of difference. I'm so glad that I noticed First Class was only $3/person more during that price glitch madness. :thumbsup2

I am down to the least 1.5 hours of your flight. I just love your chronical of the trip so far. What long day but you're almost there. :thumbsup2
And more fun to come.... :rotfl2:

OH My - Poopy diaper in the plane bathroom....:rotfl2: I never considered that would happen, but with an all day flight I guess its bound to!
I was sure hoping we could avoid it - came close! Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do, I guess. Just glad she responded to the coaching and was comfortable again. Otherwise, she would have been super crabby the rest of the flight. :scared:

Wonderful rate on your rental car. Did Mark rent from Costco too? Just planning ahead .....:rolleyes1
Yeah, not bad at all. I've found that Costco is not always competitive everywhere, but they sure were for Honolulu. Especially as you get down to the wire. And you can cancel and rebook free (and easy), so it's worth checking back. I think Mark used Costco too, if I remember right. I know a lot of people end up with Alamo through Costco, but we ended up with Enterprise (it was cheaper by pennies - and both have good reviews).

You guys really are troopers going to both Costco and Target on your arrival night. :worship: I probably would have stopped after the donuts from heaven and gone straight to the resort. :rotfl2:
We didn't actually go to Costco that night - we saved it for later in the trip - but we were right by it (near Target). We just did the donuts/Old Navy and Target. That was enough! :rotfl:

Oh - and that fleece IS super cute. :thumbsup2
Thanks, just hope to have nice enough weather for her to wear it again soon (well, this is MN, so in maybe 4-5 months :rotfl2:)

We were up early the next morning – 5:30am. However, given that we hadn’t yet adjusted to the new time zone, it was more like 9:30am. Not so bad. Our agenda for the day was a 7am breakfast with the characters at Makahiki before heading to Kualoa Ranch for a movie tour, followed by lunch at Uncle Bobo’s BBQ, and the afternoon at the Polynesian Cultural Center. If we left there early enough, the Dole Plantation would be on the way home and they were open until 5pm. If not, we’d get there another day. And dinner at Kua Aina Burgers, near the resort (by Target).

I showered and had no choice but to try out the nice robes they supply:

I basically put that on any chance I got, just cause I could. Gotta get my money’s worth and all. :lmao:

I forgot to mention, the previous evening I’d found this little stepstool in the closet:

I took it out and let Izzy try it to get up to the sink to wash her hands. She LOVED it. TOO much. I had to stash it under the sink (it’s very hard for her to slide out). Thankfully, after climbing it like 27 times that night, she ignored it for the rest of the trip. I just didn’t want her to climb it and fall when I wasn’t near her.

At any rate, we got ourselves and Izzy all ready to go and also packed up our bag and stroller for a day out and about on the island. We needed to leave straight from breakfast to get to our tour on time. One thing that I am really glad we did was bring a soft-sided cooler and a couple of ice packs – we filled it with pop and water and it was so nice to have cold drinks later on in the day. Izzy wandered around while we packed:

By the way, that blue suitcase on the floor by her Pack ‘n’ Play was functioning as her dresser. We were using the actual dresser drawers under the TV for our stuff, but I had packed all of her outfits in Ziploc bags with the date on them, so I just organized them in there and grabbed as I needed. Worked well.

I do have to admit that we left the room at 7:06am for our 7:00am reservation, but nice try? :confused3

I told Izzy to “catch Daddy”:

As you can see, she caught him by grabbing the rear of his shorts. She has done this quite a few other times since. She takes her “catching” quite literally. :rotfl2:

Anyway, we had trouble figuring out how to get there. We had seen the location the night before, but couldn’t figure out how to connect over there. It appeared that the outdoor entrance was blocked off (it turned out that it only partially was with the line for Mickey). We tried to go inside on the first floor, but that didn’t connect. Somehow, we finally managed to find our way past the Olelo room and to the check-in, much later than we had hoped. (For future reference, if you are in the Ewa Tower, just go towards the lobby – on the lobby level – and go down the stairs before the entrance – or use the elevator – it’s right there).

They had no issues with our tardiness and we could see Mickey’s line outside as we got checked in:

We could also see the Olelo Room (bar):

When you check in, they write your information on a slip of paper and you carry that out to the Mickey line. When you get close to the front, a CM takes it and calls you forward at your turn.

Mickey’s queue is made of chairs:

As we stood in line, I tried to take video on my phone in selfie mode. However, I just got stuck on a black screen and couldn’t get out. It was very strange. I couldn’t figure it out, so gave it to Dug to play with. This is my favorite video – it always makes me laugh – it is just a black screen that he’s looking at, but it’s taping him giving it a quizzical look:

(click to watch)

He did manage to get it working again, though! So, I interviewed Izzy and he took some scenery pictures while we waited for our turn with Mickey. Here are some pictures he took:

And here’s my interview of a slightly anxious/emotional Izzy:

(click to watch)

When we were next in line, I asked the CM (not the Photopass person) to take video with my phone. She seemed distracted, but said sure. I wanted to make sure to get video of the meet and wasn’t sure if I’d have to go up with Izzy or if she’s go on her own. Dug was in charge of photos. So, when it was our turn, Izzy actually went up on her own and hugged Mickey:

Awwww, sweet! And what was the CM with my phone doing? Not taking video! I literally snatched the phone out of her hand and said, “I’ll just do it!” I don’t think she really had a clue why she had been holding my phone. Maybe she thought it was for pictures later? So, I captured MOST of the interaction:

(click to watch)

This ended up being a very quick meet – more of a photo opp than anything. Mickey was not playful and quickly led Izzy over to the photo spot:

The Photopass person took some nice family shots of all of us. We already were planning to get the Photopass CD, so I don’t think we had a CM take any with all of us. We found out during the meal that this was a separate extra-charge non-Photopass picture, despite the person taking it wearing a Photopass vest. Aargh. So, tip: unless you want to spend a lot of money, get your own photo with Mickey. Don’t think your Photopass will include it, as it won’t. :sad2:

As long as I’m doling out tips, here’s another (and a bit of a spoiler of our last day, but I’m sure you’ll all forget by the time I get to that, right?): Makahiki breakfast is NOT always the same experience. For instance, this day Mickey was rather disappointing and not interactive. The next time, he is GREAT and really fun. Also, BIG tip: if it is important to you to see either Mickey, Goofy, or Minnie – verify before you go in that they are all there that day. See, despite everything I’ve ever read about Makahiki saying that those three are the characters, they are NOT guaranteed. We learned this the hard way. They might just have a couple of them. They might have someone else like Chip and Dale. And they won’t tell you in advance. And you pay the same obscene amount of money to eat there. Supposedly, they go out of their way to make sure they never promise certain characters on any “collateral” they put out, so they have an easy out if one has the “day off”. I wish they’d at least post a sign each day or something. I can’t imagine going to Crystal Palace and they’re like, “Oh, Pooh is out shopping today. He’s not here. No biggie.” Of course, maybe that does happen, I don’t know.

Enough tangent, though, let’s get to breakfast! We were seated outside and Dug went over to the buffet first. The waitress came by, so I ordered a POG juice (pineapple orange guava):

Izzy got started with a pouch and her milk:

Continued in next post...

Continued from last post...

While Dug was still up at the buffet, Goofy came to see us! Izzy was happy, but not impressed enough to put down her tasty food pouch:

“Sure glad he didn’t take my pouch” look:

I actually did catch a bit of video where she took the pouch out of her mouth momentarily:

(click to watch)

After that meet, Dug returned with food:

He got this:

And this (some unique flavored pineapples in there):

Naturally, he hadn’t thought to get anything for the hungry toddler waiting at the table. I had to go up and rectify that (and get something myself), but Aunty was on her way over so I hurried back before finishing my plate. Aunty performs a bit during the breakfast and she was really fun. She greeted Izzy:

However, at this point, Izzy was a bit concerned that everyone was after her treasured food, so she “mine”d it when Aunty came near. Cute video:

(click to watch)

We were keeping an eye on Minnie and I didn't want to go back up to the buffet to finish my plate until she had come by. And she soon did:

Izzy is happy to see her hero:

But she also just got a big plate of food and was a bit distracted by it. Mmmm, yummy cottage cheese:

Minnie managed to tear her away for a hug anyway:

You looking at me?:

Izzy stood up for another hug:

And then showed Minnie her awesome “Minnie” muffin, haha:

Farewell, Minnie!

And the video I took:

(click to watch)

Continued in next post...

Continued from last post...

So, here’s the meager plate of food I’d managed to get for myself before rushing back to see Aunty and Minnie:

Here’s Izzy food, including a Stitch waffle:

I went up to acquire more food. While I was gone, Goofy got even and came back just for Dug and Izzy:

And some video he took:

(click to watch)

Meanwhile, I managed to acquire a bit more food. Keep in mind that I was still having some stomach issues, though, so trying not to go too crazy:

I can’t tell you what all of it is, but I know the round thing at the top is the Loco Moco (Hawaiian specialty). I think it was okay, but I don’t really remember. The cheese was for Izzy. The ham has a pineapple glaze. There’s a small cheese omelet (not very good). Some potatoes and sausage. Some other things that I’m not 100% sure of. :confused3

Izzy decided her spoon was an excellent toy:

Aunty led some sort of activity for the kids:

I can’t recall if it was this meal or the last day that Izzy participated, but there were musical instruments and they all got to pick one up and parade around the place. I walked with Izzy and she brought up the rear of the parade. She wasn’t really old enough to “get” what was going on and was trying to wander off on her own. :rotfl:

I think this might have occurred now, as I see Dug has scenery pictures and a selfie with Goofy (back for a 3rd visit!):

We were ready to head out at that point. A few blurry shots of the outside/inside/buffet on our way:

On our way out:

A light Dug must have liked:

And a map of the island to preview things to come:

We were lower-left and would be heading to mid/upper right that day! :cool1:

Up next: Making our way outside the Disney bubble!

Had to join in over here too! :woohoo:

I am loving reading about your trip to Hawaii and Aulani. I haven't been to Hawaii in years, and my DD has never been - it is her dream vacation at this point. Because of Disney, we never manage to go. :laughing: I'm thinking we will in the next year or two, although we probably won't get to visit Aulani, so it's even more fun getting to see all the pics and hear about your stay there! :thumbsup2

Loving this TR! I've got a 2 year old, and we're trying to tentatively plan an Aulani trip for next year, so this is all great info!

Had to join in over here too! :woohoo:

I am loving reading about your trip to Hawaii and Aulani. I haven't been to Hawaii in years, and my DD has never been - it is her dream vacation at this point. Because of Disney, we never manage to go. :laughing: I'm thinking we will in the next year or two, although we probably won't get to visit Aulani, so it's even more fun getting to see all the pics and hear about your stay there! :thumbsup2
Thanks for coming over! :goodvibes

Hawaii is so awesome, as is Aulani. I'd love to go back. Why no Aulani - will you be on Oahu? If so, even if you're not staying there, you could have a meal and wander the place. Of course, Willow would probably want to use the pools...

Loving this TR! I've got a 2 year old, and we're trying to tentatively plan an Aulani trip for next year, so this is all great info!
:welcome: I'm sure you'll have a great time! We really had a blast. Let me know if you have any questions on bringing a little one there. I had found a couple good things online somewhere (blog-like things that came up in a search) about bringing a toddler and those really helped too, as there are not many Aulani TRs with little ones! Trying to pass along as much as I can in this TR to help others who are thinking of bringing the kiddos!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter