Hanging up my running shoes

HA!! Thank you!!

Wow what a way to celebrate your birthday! Happy belated birthday by the way!

Thank you!

Belated birthday greetings to you!!

And what a great way to celebrate.
beautiful-disney-happy-birthday-cake-wishes-pink-animated-gif.gif

Thank you!

Happy Birthday!

Glad to see you slowed it down when things didn't feel right. That's a great approach. Keep up the great work!

Thank you! You were definitely in my head when I was slowing down. I knew you would be supportive of that approach. :)

HAPPY (belated) BIRTHDAY!! Sounds like you had a great day!

Thank you!

Amazing@! This is such a bucket list item for me, DH is so not a Foodie, so he could never justify the cost, and the whole experience would just be lost on him. LOL! But my sister on the other hand, who is also a Disney die-hard, and I have our eye on this for some point down the road.

If you are a foodie then I highly recommend. It was amazing!

Happy (belated) birthday! Loved reading your approach to finishing out those tough 13 miles, I think it takes a lot of self-awareness to know that you can finish if you're smart about how you do it, and a lot of smarts to be able to put the entire thing in context and know that it was actually a pretty great effort. Nice job!!!

Thank you!

Happy birthday, my friend! :hug:

Smartly making it through a tough run, pool, cocktails and steak?? Sounds like a great day!!

Thank you!

Happy happy birthday!! I hope you celebrated big!

Your recap of your long run is something that I really needed to read. I admire that you didn't quit (which is likely what I would have done in that heat!) but you were very smart about finishing. AWESOME JOB!

Thank you! I might have been more tempted to quit, but I had to get back to my car somehow! ;)

Happy birthday ZellyB--a little late but sounds like it was a good one!

Thank you!

Happy Belated Birthday!
Slowing down is definitely acceptable when the weather is terrible ... I'm really impressed that you were aware of why you were struggling and found a way to adjust. You definitely earned that awesome birthday celebration!

Thank you!

Happy late Birthday!! It sounds like it was a good one! Running in 85 degrees just sounds awful, I'm really impressed you stuck with it in a smart way!! Bravo for that.

Thank you!

Happy happy birthday!!! Sounds like it was a wonderful celebration! :)

Thank you!!

You guys are the best!!! :lovestruc

Heat is rough. I think with summer runs you just have to get through it. It's always going to be difficult. Just get through it and look forward to the cooler weather coming in a few months!

Happy birthday to your Dad! And to your girls! (I totally get the "culture shock" of amusement parks vs. Disney ... amusement parks are fun, but Disney is a totally different experience)

And don't get me started on the Photobucket thing. Ugh. I'm guessing that Photobucket is just trying to punk us all and in a few months they'll be like "April Fool's!" Nothing else makes sense. I understand that a purely ad-based business model is hard to sustain in the current ad-blocker culture, but this just was not handled properly. So frustrating.

Ugh, to summer! You're doing great. Just keep remembering to keep it up and then it'll make the fall so much easier. Oh, and take it slow and easy! :D

Today was also my Dad's birthday. He's 93 years old and still doing great.

:bday:

My sweet little girls turn 14 on the 17th (today!!)

And one final rant - the pictures today are brought to you by Flickr because Photobucket decided to hold me ransom in order to continue to use photos for 3rd party hosting. I wouldn't have minded paying a reasonable fee to continue to use them - I get it. They are a business and need to make money, but they wanted something like $400 per year for 3rd party hosting. So, yeah, not gonna happen. Meanwhile, this journal as well as my trip reports that I've done now have dozens of crappy shots of Photobucket telling me how popular I am and that if I want to share that with all my fans I need to go pay their ransom. All this with nearly no notice of the change. Maybe at some point I'll work on changing over my trip reports to Flickr or another hosting site and try to fix them, but that would literally take me hours and hours of work. Hmmph. :( Rant over.

Oh man, that stinks! I just manually upload my pictures using the "upload a file" feature. Guess I didn't realize there was a different way.

Super ugh about the photos. I've been doing the upload file thing to all this time. Sad face :(
Don't they know it was just your birthday????

Your running week sounds a lot like how I feel running in the summer. It's hard. It's hot. It's disgusting. Luckily you and Chris seem to be pushing through.

Congrats on your girls!

And eww with regards to Photobucket. That's the worst.

Heat is rough. I think with summer runs you just have to get through it. It's always going to be difficult. Just get through it and look forward to the cooler weather coming in a few months!

Happy birthday to your Dad! And to your girls! (I totally get the "culture shock" of amusement parks vs. Disney ... amusement parks are fun, but Disney is a totally different experience)

And don't get me started on the Photobucket thing. Ugh. I'm guessing that Photobucket is just trying to punk us all and in a few months they'll be like "April Fool's!" Nothing else makes sense. I understand that a purely ad-based business model is hard to sustain in the current ad-blocker culture, but this just was not handled properly. So frustrating.

Just getting through the summer is good advice! Yeah, stupid Photobucket. I have to imagine they are going to lose a lot of customers. Now admittedly I just had a free account, so maybe that's no loss as far as they are concerned, but it just seemed like a bad move on their part.

Ugh, to summer! You're doing great. Just keep remembering to keep it up and then it'll make the fall so much easier. Oh, and take it slow and easy! :D

Oh man, that stinks! I just manually upload my pictures using the "upload a file" feature. Guess I didn't realize there was a different way.

Slow and easy! My new mantra on these hot days. :D I've usually hosted them on another site because the Dis limits file sizes and the number of uploads you can have on a single post and for my trip reports, sometimes I would exceed that. The 3rd party hosting avoids that, but whatever. Flickr is working for now. I just hate that it broke all my old reports.

Super ugh about the photos. I've been doing the upload file thing to all this time. Sad face :(
Don't they know it was just your birthday????
Clearly they missed out on the awesomeness that is my day of birth. :(

Your running week sounds a lot like how I feel running in the summer. It's hard. It's hot. It's disgusting. Luckily you and Chris seem to be pushing through.

Congrats on your girls!

And eww with regards to Photobucket. That's the worst.

It is disgusting. The sweat factor alone grosses me out. But, I shall persevere and then be VERY happy when fall arrives.

Awesome job with those 6-mile maintenance runs! You are going to be so happy you are doing those now when Dopey comes up!

Your dad is, as the kids say, #goals. ::yes:: I hope I am in half as good of shape as he is when I am 93!!

Happy birthday to the girls!! I know what you mean about non-Disney theme parks being...different. We have Cedar Point near us, which is a great park, but not *quite* Disney. :confused3

And lastly...that is RIDICULOUS that Photobucket wants that much money!! $400 PER YEAR? I mean...$400 as a one-time thing is nuts, but per year? NOPE. I use Flickr and like it (you know, as long as it's free), and I think you'll like it too, but what a pain that it has messed up your old reports! Sorry that happened. :(

Maybe we can make running a family affair

running-tips-penguin-group.gif

I've shared on here before that one of my girls, Paige, has run cross country and some track. She is a pretty active girl. My other daughter, Sophie, is not active and it has worried me for some time that she isn't more active. I don't expect her to be super athlete or anything, but general activity is something I'd like to see for her overall health and fitness. She does do some swimming in the summer, but never that much. I've talked to both girls about possibly taking them to Disneyland in September 2018 to run the DL half weekend. Paige wants to run a half, and I told Sophie I'd take her too, but she needed to at least run the 10k with us. She's run our local Turkey Trot 5K with us a few times, but she generally hates doing it - we just make her. :D

7H2KGtu.gif

So, imagine my surprise, when she came home Sunday evening to inform us she'd just gotten done running 2 miles on my sister's treadmill. :faint: I asked her what prompted that and she told me that she was getting hungry and thinking about eating and decided to run instead. She is a bit overweight, but I've always been careful when I talk to her about exercise to make it about health and wellness and not weight. Still, I was so happy. So, I talked with her the next day about maybe continuing to do this and she could even get up with me and her dad at 4:30 in the morning to run. ;) I meant it as a joke, but she actually sent me a text earlier saying maybe she would do that! :eek: Now, much as I'd love that, I know my kid and no way does she get out of bed at 4:30 AM to run. So, Chris and I spent some time this morning trying to figure out how to get her to run with us but at a time that is manageable. I also don't want to get so enthusiastic about this that we push her too much and she gives up. Not that we are intense or anything. :rotfl:

When-Thanksgiving-Football-Game-Gets-Seriously-Intense.gif

It doesn't help that it's insanely hot right now in the afternoons, so I don't think trying to run with her in the evenings is a recipe for success. I was thinking about taking her up to the high school and running next to her on the treadmill to just see how she does and then go from there. Anybody got any brilliant ideas for gently nurturing this interest without smothering her with our enthusiasm?

Awesome job with those 6-mile maintenance runs! You are going to be so happy you are doing those now when Dopey comes up!

Your dad is, as the kids say, #goals. ::yes:: I hope I am in half as good of shape as he is when I am 93!!

Absolute life goals there. Just hoping his long-life genetics passed down to me. :D

Happy birthday to the girls!! I know what you mean about non-Disney theme parks being...different. We have Cedar Point near us, which is a great park, but not *quite* Disney. :confused3

And lastly...that is RIDICULOUS that Photobucket wants that much money!! $400 PER YEAR? I mean...$400 as a one-time thing is nuts, but per year? NOPE. I use Flickr and like it (you know, as long as it's free), and I think you'll like it too, but what a pain that it has messed up your old reports! Sorry that happened. :(

It was really the price tag that shocked me. No way. I'm bummed about my old reports and probably will invest the time at some point to fix them, but man, what a pain.

I have liked Flickr so far. Seems easy to use.

Congrats to your daughter for self-motivating that day!!! Just make sure she knows it is ok to eat when she's hungry if its the right stuff. I had some weight issues back in the day and it's a slippery slope to not eating when you should (not that your daughter will do that.)

Hmmm...such a hard thing motivating someone, especially a teenager. I'm trying to put myself back in teenage roxy's brain and I'm being annoyed at teenage roxy already.
Running at the high school with my mom would probably be the #1 thing to scare me off because I would have been too mortified (this coming from an athlete who was still super self conscious about just about everything and I want to go back in time and shake myself because I was so dumb, but still...)
Running with my mom anywhere other than the high school I would have been 10000% more on board with.
Maybe because there's no homework right now, a pre-dinner mile here or there would be something y'all could do together just to start?

Happy Birthday to your Dad and girls! I love hearing about elderly people that have kept themselves active. It's so inspiring!
And I just wanted to say I'm so sorry photo bucket is being terrible right now. That is super annoying!!
Also, I love how thoughtful and compassionate you are going about motivating your daughter. You are already thinking of the pitfalls of being too eager and I think just that thoughtfulness alone will help a ton! You already are doing the biggest thing which is leading by example. She sees that you are a better, happier, healthier person because of your activity level so that sinks in on so many levels. I think once the weather cools down a bit evening runs are a fantastic idea. I'm sure you want to keep the motivation she has right now going though!

It's good that your daughter is showing interest. I would have never desired to run at that age but I think part of that is no one in my family ran. I think it's always nice when a family has an activity they all enjoy together. I definitely understand the concerns of being too eager. I think a potential trip to Disney would be a good motivation (at least for me). Also, if she doesn't have running clothes perhaps take her to get some if she's going to keep with it. Having (cute!) running clothes made more invested in running since I wasn't as self conscious about what I wore while running. As for when to run, perhaps you guys can run together in the morning on the weekends? That way it won't be too early and it won't be too hot.

Wow! It's been a big birthday month at your house! Happy Birthday to the teens and your dad!

It's hard to imagine 6 mile maintenance runs- you all are awesome! I think if I want to run "far," I need to phase out my 2 mile runs and get longer ones in.

We went to Worlds of Fun in KC in college and it's fun, but again, just missing the magic! I actually really like water parks, so I remember enjoying that part!

14 is a tough age. I actually think 13-15 were my hardest, most moody, years at home- I was full of sass! (Still am ;) ) I am not athletically inclined, so I think one of the most important things is a "run your race" mentality, especially since she's surrounded with other runners in the family. My older sister and I were good at VERY different things and the difference can be really hard to accept as a young person. It sounds like she's motivated (yay!), so maybe just encouraging it with little to no pressure! Good luck! (I should say.. I don't have kids yet, so my advice probably stinks ha)

I think it is fantastic that your daughter is showing interest in getting more active. As a former, inactive, over-weight person (when in my teens/early 20s ) in a very active family, it took ME making the choice to pursue fitness for my own ends to really make it stick. However, just being a positive role model is a great first step...and dangling the Disney carrot, probably doesn't hurt either.

Just make sure she knows it is ok to eat when she's hungry if its the right stuff. I had some weight issues back in the day and it's a slippery slope to not eating when you should (not that your daughter will do that.)
Yeah, that part stuck out to me too. :scratchin

My mom tried to get me to take walks/run in high school and, being stubborn and hating being told what to do, I never really got into it. So if she's anything like teenage me, a hands-off approach is definitely the way to go! I think having a Disney race as a carrot is a great motivator. :)

Congrats to your daughter for self-motivating that day!!! Just make sure she knows it is ok to eat when she's hungry if its the right stuff. I had some weight issues back in the day and it's a slippery slope to not eating when you should (not that your daughter will do that.)

That's why I try to be cautious and never talk about her activity in terms of weight loss. But, she does have some bad eating habits which mostly surround eating junk food at night largely out of boredom, so I think this was some recognition on her part that she didn't NEED to eat but rather was bored and looking for some alternative to help with the boredom.

Hmmm...such a hard thing motivating someone, especially a teenager. I'm trying to put myself back in teenage roxy's brain and I'm being annoyed at teenage roxy already.
Running at the high school with my mom would probably be the #1 thing to scare me off because I would have been too mortified (this coming from an athlete who was still super self conscious about just about everything and I want to go back in time and shake myself because I was so dumb, but still...)
Running with my mom anywhere other than the high school I would have been 10000% more on board with.
Maybe because there's no homework right now, a pre-dinner mile here or there would be something y'all could do together just to start?

Good point about running with me at the high school. LOL Yeah, probably mortifying for her. A short run before dinner has possibilities.

Happy Birthday to your Dad and girls! I love hearing about elderly people that have kept themselves active. It's so inspiring!
And I just wanted to say I'm so sorry photo bucket is being terrible right now. That is super annoying!!

Thank you. I'm working to badmouth photobucket to anyone willing to listen to me right now. It doesn't seem like a smart business move on their part, honestly.

Also, I love how thoughtful and compassionate you are going about motivating your daughter. You are already thinking of the pitfalls of being too eager and I think just that thoughtfulness alone will help a ton! You already are doing the biggest thing which is leading by example. She sees that you are a better, happier, healthier person because of your activity level so that sinks in on so many levels. I think once the weather cools down a bit evening runs are a fantastic idea. I'm sure you want to keep the motivation she has right now going though!

I am hopeful that the example is the biggest thing that will help right now and I don't want to push her, but do want to encourage and nurture any thoughts she has about it right now. It's hard for me to rein it in. ;)

It's good that your daughter is showing interest. I would have never desired to run at that age but I think part of that is no one in my family ran. I think it's always nice when a family has an activity they all enjoy together. I definitely understand the concerns of being too eager. I think a potential trip to Disney would be a good motivation (at least for me). Also, if she doesn't have running clothes perhaps take her to get some if she's going to keep with it. Having (cute!) running clothes made more invested in running since I wasn't as self conscious about what I wore while running. As for when to run, perhaps you guys can run together in the morning on the weekends? That way it won't be too early and it won't be too hot.

Disney is obviously a huge motivator for me. :D She's dying to see Carsland, so DLR has even more appeal for her. CLOTHES!! That's a good idea.

Wow! It's been a big birthday month at your house! Happy Birthday to the teens and your dad!

It's hard to imagine 6 mile maintenance runs- you all are awesome! I think if I want to run "far," I need to phase out my 2 mile runs and get longer ones in.

Thank you! I was a little overwhelmed thinking about doing 6 mile maintenance runs, but honestly, it's not been any more difficult than doing the 4 milers.

We went to Worlds of Fun in KC in college and it's fun, but again, just missing the magic! I actually really like water parks, so I remember enjoying that part!
Yes, they still have the water park attached, although we just stuck to the amusement park side, although during the heat of the afternoon, I was thinking that water park would have felt pretty good.

14 is a tough age. I actually think 13-15 were my hardest, most moody, years at home- I was full of sass! (Still am ;) ) I am not athletically inclined, so I think one of the most important things is a "run your race" mentality, especially since she's surrounded with other runners in the family. My older sister and I were good at VERY different things and the difference can be really hard to accept as a young person. It sounds like she's motivated (yay!), so maybe just encouraging it with little to no pressure! Good luck! (I should say.. I don't have kids yet, so my advice probably stinks ha)

I do worry that she might feel like she needs to compete or something with her sister. They are SO different from each other, so I want to be sure she isn't doing this because she thinks she needs to do it to keep up with her sister.

I think it is fantastic that your daughter is showing interest in getting more active. As a former, inactive, over-weight person (when in my teens/early 20s ) in a very active family, it took ME making the choice to pursue fitness for my own ends to really make it stick. However, just being a positive role model is a great first step...and dangling the Disney carrot, probably doesn't hurt either.

I was also very inactive and never did anything athletic in my life until I started running at the age of 48, so I absolutely know what you mean that it took ME deciding to do it before it happened. Disney carrots are great motivators though.
Yeah, that part stuck out to me too. :scratchin

My mom tried to get me to take walks/run in high school and, being stubborn and hating being told what to do, I never really got into it. So if she's anything like teenage me, a hands-off approach is definitely the way to go! I think having a Disney race as a carrot is a great motivator. :)

See? This is why I posted this because I needed some other people to remind me that she's a 14 year old girl and that too much enthusiasm/pressure on my part would have the opposite of the desired effect. :D Thanks everybody. I'll take things easy and just try to continue to encourage her or suggest some no pressure pre-dinner runs if she wants.

Successful Unicorn Hunting
I belong to an INKnBURN fan page on Facebook and they keep an ISO (In Search Of) listing for people looking to buy some of the older designs. I've been on the ISO for probably a year or so looking for one specific shirt. On the page they call this Unicorn hunting (not to be confused with @DopeyBadger and his unicorn hunt). Yesterday, I got tagged for my shirt! There was one person ahead of me on the ISO list, but she passed, so this little beauty will be on its way to me later today.

Behold!! The Nerd Tech

w_Nerd_Tech_Shirt_Front__19451.1439148323.1280.1280.jpg

I'm so stinking excited that I'm finally getting one of these. I'm a self-proclaimed nerd and this thing is just awesome. Especially love the R2D2 "pin" on the suspenders. I can't wait for it to arrive. Just had to share my happiness. :lovestruc

I saw that you got it! Yay! Now you need the tights! :teeth:

I kept checking back obsessively on that post waiting for the person ahead of me to snatch it. I might have squealed out loud when she posted "pass". :D

I do love those tights. I'm not even on the ISO for them though. lol

I kept checking back obsessively on that post waiting for the person ahead of me to snatch it. I might have squealed out loud when she posted "pass". :D

I do love those tights. I'm not even on the ISO for them though. lol
The tights surprisingly go with a lot - mine are unfortunately 1 size too big (bought before I really figured out sizing in bottoms), so the drawstring gets a workout. I need to try to get a trade!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter