handbags at Universal

GSLand

Mouseketeer
I have not been to Universal in years but taking a trip this fall to check out the Harry Potter stuff.

1) Does USO have a separate line for guests without a bag? I was thinking of carrying my phone and money in a zippered pocket and my ticket & room key in a lanyard with a pocket.

2) I'm confused on the policy where some rides have you put stuff in a locker. If my phone is in a zippered pocket am I still required to put it on a locker?

So basically I'm asking if it makes any difference if I have a purse or not.

Thx!

I have not been to Universal in years but taking a trip this fall to check out the Harry Potter stuff.

1) Does USO have a separate line for guests without a bag? I was thinking of carrying my phone and money in a zippered pocket and my ticket & room key in a lanyard with a pocket.

2) I'm confused on the policy where some rides have you put stuff in a locker. If my phone is in a zippered pocket am I still required to put it on a locker?

Thx!

It's not a separate line, there's just a separate locker area they will send you back to if you're carrying stuff on a ride that doesn't allow stuff to be carried on. Then you walk back to the ride entrance to get in the actual line.

To put another way: you are not in line for the ride until you're done at the lockers.

I believe there's at least one ride (maybe a few coasters?) where you can't have anything in your pockets including a phone, but someone else will come along with specifics. I want to say the Dragon Challenge = nothing in pockets, period.

There's a bag check line that you could bypass at security.
If the ride goes upside down, nothing allowed, zippered pocket or not. Just takes 1 bad apple who says, "I'll just keep my phone [etc...] in my pocket" then gets it out anyway and it winds up hurting someone to cause Universal to just be very strict. The lockers are no big deal. Don't send more than 1 person/ group to them to make it more efficient and less crowded.

The bigger coaster have metal detectors and you must empty your pocket of all metal items. The lockers are free and easy to use.

The screening to get into the park is not that bad so I wouldn't forgo a bag because of it. Especially if you are arriving via one of the resorts who all do the security at the resort end.

Thx!

When you go through the park entry (at Citywalk), there is a "no bag line".

At the rides themselves, there is not - some rides permit a bag (e.g. Simpsons), some rides do not allow a bag but will allow you to keep things in your pockets (Forbidden Journey, Gringotts), while at the three "big coasters" - Hulk, Rip Ride Rocket and Dragon Challenge - you are not permitted to take anything (other than a lanyard tucked in your shirt). These 3 have metal detectors at the ride to police this.

We always carry a small backpack or crossbody bag in the parks (phones, water, sunscreen, rain jackets) and have never found it to be the big inconvenience some make it out to be. We either take the bag on, put it in a locker or it stays with someone who is not riding.

If you think you will be most comfortable with your purse, bring it - if you think you can do without it, then more power to you! :)

Check out the active thread, bags in the park in this forum

Other posters shared their ideas there

Might be helpful for you

Hulk and DC check for loose objects with metal detectors IIRC.

I think any other ride that says no bags allow lockers and items in pockets.

"Metal detector" rides will not allow anything on your person except a lanyard. Phone would need to come out of the zippered pocket and be placed in a locker. "Metal detector" rides are Rip Ride Rockit, Hulk, and Dragon Challenge as mentioned above. You will go through a metal detector at the entrance of the queue to confirm all articles have been placed in a locker.

All of the other "locker" rides - rides that require bags be stored in a locker - will have a bank of lockers nearby to store bags for free while you ride. These rides would permit you to keep your phone in a zippered pocket. They also allow fanny packs with a three prong clasp to stay on you as well.

If there is not a bank of lockers near the attraction, you can bring a bag on with you.

There are lockers adjacent to Ripsaw Falls, but these are not required to be used by the ride so there is a fee for them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter