Halloween at HNY Art of Marvel - Pre-trippie

Ms Poppins

I'm sure I'm very affected by all this Disney talk
Our Halloween trip is fast approaching, so time to start a new trip report :cool1:

**I've debated doing this, as I always do, because I don't spend as much time on Dis as I used to. But, I really enjoy reading back over our previous trips and I think I'd regret it in years to come if I didn't document this one too ;) **

The Cast
Me – Julie – 47
DH – John – 51
DS1 - Mark - 28
DS2 – Lewis – 18

Our eldest son, Mark, made it home safely from the US a week or so after lockdown here in the UK and has stayed here ever since, so I'm thrilled he's coming with us for this trip :goodvibes

Staying at home - DD Abbey (she has a WDW trip to look forward to in a few weeks time :goodvibes)

Our last visit was in Summer of 2019 at the Newport Bay Club. We had a fantastic trip and watched the Hotel New York being refurbished with great excitement each time we passed it. On our last day we sat on the steps at the lake enjoying a final ice cream and we all agreed we'd definitely be back to see all the updates to our favourite hotel.

Here's Lewis, longing for it to be open :laughing:

P1020565.JPG

Booking
So, after 3 years away I actually feel like a bit of a newbie.......We didn't renew our annual passes as they expired during 2020 and at the time we had no idea when we'd make it back. I decided to just go for a package trip after reading about having to make reservations etc. I didn't want to risk renewing them and not being able to get the dates we wanted. We probably won't go more than once and we always stay on-site so it didn't seem worth it just now.

Because of the uncertainty around travelling, I held off booking for this trip until just a few months ago. I dithered for ages and as a result ending up paying more for flights and the hotel in the end. I wanted to book directly with Disneyland Paris via their own website, due to the guarantees for cancelling they offered. But I noticed a slightly cheaper deal including park tickets with Expedia. Then I noticed that Disney offer a price guarantee. They offer to match and refund the difference if you find a cheaper offer for an identical package via another agent. They will also give a 20E gift card at check in. This offer is on the UK site just now, not sure if it covers all countries.

Anyway, I booked via Disney and then on the same day, I filled out the online claim form and waited. About a week later, I got an email confirming that they'd reduced the balance of the booking and that I'd get a 20E gift card when we checked in.

When
Soon!! We go for 2 nights next week and as I played around with flight times, we will arrive around lunchtime on our first day and leave later in the evening on our last so should get most of the 3 days in the parks.

Where
As already said, the Hotel New York has been our favourite hotel for years. Our boys absolutely love Marvel so when they announced the refurb, there was no doubt we'd return to see it. By the time we booked, the only rooms left were Garden View, which I would never usually pay for. I actually cannot get over the price.....I know everywhere in Disney is more expensive now, covid etc all factors. But really, if we hadn't been saving for the last 3 years I just would not have been able to justify these prices. If they stay at this rate or increase then this might be our last time here :worried:

Official App
I booked everything online and then downloaded the App which linked my hotel booking and also opened up restaurant booking for the days we're travelling. Great that you can now make restaurant bookings using the App. 7 days before, there was an option to complete hotel check-in, although to fully complete you need to print off a page for each person, to complete address details etc. I've done this and will hand over the documents at check in, hopefully saving some time. I also was able to book a time for us to do the meet and greet in the HNY (only for HNY guests I think).

This was another reason I wanted to book via Disney. I've seen quite a few times now that some people are having problems linking their tickets etc if booked via a third party. Lots of functions seem to be via the App and linking tickets.

Food
We have a booking at Plaza Gardens on our last day before heading home and will probably visit Annette's at some point (of course!). The Steakhouse in the Village is also on our list but as of now can't get a reservation. Hopefully they will take walk ins. It's a massive restaurant and I've never seen it close to capacity.

Our plans
The boys are keen to see the Avengers Campus and all things Marvel so that’s top of the list.

I know everything will be busier now that fast pass is gone and don’t intend to use premier pass. Hopefully we’ll make good use of EMT (they changed that too!) and do the rides we want.

Big Thunder Mountain in the dark is always on our list too 😀

I'm really excited about seeing the hotel changes and having a wee drink in the Skyline bar. Honestly, after 3 years away I’m so happy to be back at all 😍

Last edited:
I hope you have a wonderful time! I look forward to reading all about your trip, as I'm off to Art of Marvel with my Mum at the end of April 2023 and I'm super excited about seeing the Avengers campus!

I hope you have a wonderful time! I look forward to reading all about your trip, as I'm off to Art of Marvel with my Mum at the end of April 2023 and I'm super excited about seeing the Avengers campus!

Thank you, I'm sure we will! Hope you have a great trip :goodvibes

Transport
So this has all been a wee bit of a headache :confused:

Our closest airport is Glasgow - about 15 minutes drive max. So handy. But flight times are not always the best coming back. For this trip we have booked to fly from Glasgow on an early flight which is good. However, times coming back were too early and as we're only going for 2 nights there was almost no point in going if we'd only have 1 full day in the park. So we took a chance and booked to fly back to Edinburgh which is an evening flight. Our dd will drop us off and was going to pick us up too but she now has to work late. And because the flight is getting in late, using any kind of public transport home is a no go. It's too far and too late for me to ask anyone else, so we've booked a private hire company in our area that we know to pick us up, so hopefully we've got that sorted now.

We've booked Ezyshuttle, as we always do, to shuttle us to and from the magic. All good, except today they've contacted us to say that there is a possibility they won't be able to pick us up due to the ongoing fuel strikes in and around Paris just now.......They've suggested we have a plan b in place just in case they can't get any fuel. So I'm looking at the TGV from the airport. There is one about 45 mins after we land, which we might make if passport control isn't too busy. I don't want to chance booking it in case we don't actually need it or we don't get through the airport in time. The next few are all fully booked right up until 6pm! Plan c will be to try and get an Uber. I've heard that some fuel stations are allowing taxis to fill up, so we can only hope. I'm keeping all my fingers crossed that Ezyshuttle manage to find some fuel to pick us up! We always get perfect service from them and they make it so easy.

Anyway, apart from that, we're all organised. We have hand luggage only for this trip as it's just 2 nights. More changes with Easyjet hand luggage to navigate, but I think we've got it all sorted.

The countdown is on and I'm already mentally packed :laughing:

So, I’ve been watching the online news re the fuel strike in France. A rail strike is planned for tomorrow too (our travel day) so taking the TGV from the airport isn’t an option. But, thankfully Ezyshuttle confirmed today that they will have enough fuel tomorrow to collect us :flower1:

I also have been randomly checking the app for a Steakhouse reservation and managed to get for our first night :yay:

It’s all worked out thankfully :goodvibes Fingers crossed our transfer has fuel for our return journey.

Looks like we will be there right after you! We also leave next week for two nights at HNY. Would love to hear any feedback and tips once you return. Have a great trip!

Looks like we will be there right after you! We also leave next week for two nights at HNY. Would love to hear any feedback and tips once you return. Have a great trip!

Oh, lucky you - we're home now and I'm just getting my trip report ready, so should have some updates today. Have a fantastic time!

Ms Poppins, you're still here!
Always loved your trip reports 👍
We're going back mid-November for the first time since covid struck so will enjoy reading your report beforehand :)

Ms Poppins, you're still here!
Always loved your trip reports 👍
We're going back mid-November for the first time since covid struck so will enjoy reading your report beforehand :)

Ha ha, yes I’m still here! Thanks so much. I’m a bit out of practice with the trip reports but nearly done.

Lovely to hear you’re going back soon. Hope you have a fantastic time :flower1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter