The Cast
Me – Julie – 47
DH – John – 51
DS1 - Mark - 28
DS2 – Lewis – 18

Pre-trippie

Day 1

Tuesday 18 October
The alarm woke us at 5:30. It was finally here, after 3 years we were going back to Disney :cool1:

We were soon ready and on our way to pick up Mark before heading to the airport. We said goodbye to our very own princess Abbey, who dropped us off. The airport was busy but with just hand luggage we were quickly through security and soon having some breakfast. Our flight was called and we boarded were on our way!

DRRS5385.JPG

Everything went smoothly and Lewis was stunned when we landed – for some reason he thought it was a longer flight but was only an hour and 25 minutes. However, as is the norm in Charles de Gaulle the taxi to our stand took another 10 minutes or so. We still made it on time.

I’d been hearing of long delays at airport and that passport control could take forever. Our flight landed at terminal 2B, which used to be where we landed years ago but had been closed for a major refurb. We got through passport control quite quickly, I think around 10-15 minutes. As we walked into the baggage claim area however it was absolutely packed with people.

We didn’t have bags to collect but this was the way to the exit. It was soon clear that the exit was closed off. Another 10 minutes or so of waiting and the police opened the exit. It was a bit of a scrum but we managed to get through and found John from Ezyshuttle waiting with our name on a sign. There were lots of other private transfer drivers there and also loads of people asking if you wanted a taxi.

Happy to have found John, we followed him into the car park. He asked if everyone was here. Then he looked around and asked again and asked where the kids were. I pointed to our 2 6 footers and he laughed. He had got mixed up and thought we had kids with us and had booster seats all set up in the car for them :laughing:

It was 11:50 now, so it had taken us 35 minutes total to get from landing to being in the car, pretty good I think. John explained that the fuel problem was still ongoing and that today was indeed a general strike with some trains not running. I think the TGV from the airport were limited if not cancelled, so that’s maybe why there were so many taxi touts around. I don’t recall seeing quite so many. It seemed like every second person we saw tried to stop us.

Happy to be in the safe hands of Ezyshuttle we enjoyed the 45 minute drive to Disney. John said he was avoiding the motorways and they’d been filled with people queueing up trying to get fuel. We’ve often gone the back roads to Disney with them, but I’m sure we go a different way every time :laughing:

Soon we could see Hotel New York in the distance. It looked fantastic. Dropped off at the hotel, John confirmed that he’d ensure we were picked up on Thursday for our return journey.

** A note about getting to Disney from the airport. Because I thought we wouldn’t get picked up due to the fuel crisis, I did a bit of research:

Train - I often hear that the TGV high speed train ‘only takes 10 minutes’. Yes it does, from the time you are actually on the train. However, you need to get from your terminal to the station. Even if you land in the same terminal it’s almost impossible to predict how long it will take you to go through passport control, get bags etc. Therefore it’s difficult to pre-book. When I was looking there was a train 45 minutes after we landed. We would not have made this one. There wasn’t another for 50 minutes. If booking when you land, you take a chance that the train is full or you pay more. Prices I found ranged from 17E – 30E. Factor in that you then have to get out of the train station at Disney and either walk to your hotel with your luggage or use the shuttle bus. If you’re staying off-site, the shuttle buses serve more than one hotel, so can be busy and difficult to do with luggage. I think you might be able to use the luggage express service here (not sure if that's reserved for Eurostar customers) but there is another cost to add on if you do.

The Magic Shuttle - Bus has a schedule approx. every hour. We would have missed the one after we landed and then they take a short break so would have been waiting in the airport for close to an hour and a half. The cost currently is 23E per adult. I’ve also looked at a few youtube videos and it looks like a 15 minute walk from where we landed. The drive time is also longer because you are dropped off at multiple hotels.

Private Transfer – Door to door. A driver waits for you just outside baggage claim with your name on a sign. If you have kids you can ask for a car seat or booster seat. Drive to Disney is usually around 40 minutes. You’re dropped at your hotel entrance. The return journey is exactly the same and you’re driven to the terminal you’re leaving from. The cost with Ezyshuttle is currently 80E each way. I think this is really good value and I don’t think you can beat the convenience of it, especially if you have young kids and loads of luggage or have someone with walking difficulties.

Obviously the make-up of your travelling party and costs will determine if it’s worth it for you, but if we’d got the Magic Shuttle it would have been more than we paid for the private transfer and taken longer.***

Anyway, sorry, on with the story! We were here :hyper:

We walked into the Hotel New York, Art of Marvel for the umpteenth time…..but it looked very different! The first thing I noticed was how quiet it was. The entire lobby was just gorgeous.

IMG_6668.JPG

IMG_6666.JPG

IMG_6665.JPG

Our boys are massive Marvel fans and they were in awe of the art around the area. They went off to explore and John and I went off to check in. Our bags had been taken by the bell boy outside and we were told they’d be in our room when we got back. I’d checked in using the app before we travelled, printing off the required forms to sign, so handed them over when we got to reception. The app had also said that you’d be sent a text or email with your room number when the room was available. The receptionist was lovely. She gave us our magic passes – oh look at the design on them!

P1030108.JPG

We were also given the Daily Bugle, which is full of hotel information for our stay and some Halloween badges. She said however that we did need to come back to reception after 15:00 to find out our room number and also to activate our magic passes as room keys.

A new photo location in the lobby replaces the old taxi prop

IMG_6663.JPG

**I'll do a full hotel review later**

Happy to be here we were soon on our way into the village.

IMG_6672.JPG

It was so quiet – I wondered if the fuel strike and train strike would make things a bit quieter today? It was just after 1pm now and we were all hungry so headed to Earl of Sandwich. I noticed that the balloon has changed colour since our last visit.

IMG_6670.JPG

Inside EOS it wasn’t too busy and we used the self-serve machines to place our order. Too late I remembered about my shareholder discount, never mind, I’d make up for it for the rest of the trip, lol. John, Lewis and I enjoyed an Original and Mark had something different, I don’t recall what.

IMG_6673.JPG

IMG_6905.JPG

Another lovely meal in here we headed off in the direction of the Studios.

Mark wanted a coffee on the way and we popped into Starbucks. Earlier in the year I had seen that Starbucks did a new 30th edition of their mugs. We have the two park mugs already and I really love drinking from them. Abbey had been in DLP in May and they had been sold out so I was keen to see if they had any. Thankfully they had loads of them so I made a note to get one on the way back tonight. It took ages in here because they forgot to make my iced latte…..anyway we got it in the end and headed to the studios.

P1030111.JPG

It was absolutely packed! So much for it being a wee bit quieter today….This was the queue inside Studio 1 for the food place on the right…..

IMG_6921.JPG

First up we headed to see what all this Avengers fuss was about :)

P1030113.JPG

P1030115.JPG

The theming here is amazing. What a change. Wait times for the Spider-man ride and Avenger ride were both really high, so we spent some time wandering around taking photos.

P1030116.JPG

P1030119.JPG

We popped into Stark Factory to see inside but it was so busy we couldn’t really get around so soon left. The boys were impressed with what they saw.

P1030121.JPG

Coming out of here, there were some characters on the roof of the Avengers ride and the Spider-man ride, so remember to look up!

P1030123.JPG

P1030124.JPG

We wandered over in the direction of Ratatoullie – we always use single rider on this so knew it would probably be our first ride.

Some new toys at Toy Story Play Land on the way.

P1030131.JPG

I like that they're still adding to this area.

P1030130.JPG

We had a mooch around Chez Marianne – I love this shop so much :lovestruc

P1030135.JPG

Then we did Ratatoullie using single rider line – almost a walk on. I know not everyone wants to use single rider, especially with young children, but it’s such a time saver.

P1030137.JPG

We came out of here and were headed in the direction of the new Cars Road Trip when we bumped into our niece and her friends. After a lovely chat we made our way to Cars.

P1030139.JPG

P1030140.JPG

P1030142.JPG

Lewis was completely obsessed with Cars when he was wee. I've seen some videos and knew there wasn't much to this new ride, so we knew we needed to channel Lewis aged 4 :)

P1030145.JPG

P1030146.JPG

P1030151.JPG

I don't remember there being quite so much water when this was the Tram Tour!

P1030153.JPG

P1030154.JPG

P1030156.JPG

We actually all really enjoyed this. I think they could definitely add some more things, but it was a nice sit down and chance to get away from the crowds.

Lewis' traditional photo at Casa Della Tires.....(one day I'll do a montage of Lewis here every year we've been - he can't walk past it, lol

P1030160.JPG

Wait times for everything were really busy and we decided we'd try Extra Magic Time (I don't like this new name....) tomorrow for the Avengers things. Off we went over to Disneyland Park. It was around 14:45 now.

The station decorations are absolutely stunning! I love the 30th design, it's so simple but just perfect. The halloween touches are lovely too.

P1030164.JPG

IMG_6975.JPG

Town Square beautifully decorated with lots of ghosts and pumpkins around, gorgeous!

P1030166.JPG

P1030165.JPG

P1030170.JPG

P1030168.JPG

The weather although overcast was actually quite warm, temp around 20, so we all needed a drink and sit down. We headed to the Cable Car Bake Shop. There was quite a queue at the takeaway window outside but inside there was no queue at all. The tables were all taken though so we grabbed some drinks/cookies and sat inside Discovery Arcade for 15 mins or so.

Last edited:

IMG_E6676.JPG

P1030173.JPG

Even the Coke has the 30th decoration, lol

IMG_6979.JPG

We checked wait times on the app and the boys headed off to try and do Star Tours. We decided to go to Mickey's Philharmagic

P1030174.JPG

I still like this wee show. It's never busy and we always seem to time it just right.

IMG_6985.JPG

The boys were still in Star Tours when we finished so took a stroll to the castle and had a look around at all the decorations. It really was so busy, could hardly move around the hub.

P1030175.JPG

P1030176.JPG

I really loved the spinning decorations around the castle and hub

P1030177.JPG

P1030194.JPG

P1030181.JPG

Whilst we were here, they announced that a parade was starting. It was the Time to Shine parade, which I understand is a diluted version of the Dream and Shine Brighter parade. Essentially there were some dancers and one float - it was very lively though.

P1030188.JPG

After this we met with the boys and left the park to go and see our hotel room. I think we were most excited about this than anything, lol.

The Disneyland Hotel is being refurbished and it was odd to see the outside of it look so worn.

P1030200.JPG

I did really like the posters on the boarding around it though, especially this one

P1030199.JPG

On the way back through the village, we popped into Starbucks and picked up 2 of the 30th Anniversary mugs - one for me, one for Abbey.

Soon back at the hotel (love the location here) we were excited to see our room. When I'd booked, the only rooms left were Garden View, which I knew meant the front of the hotel. I know this can also mean on either wing, Gramercy Park or Brownstone and may not have a view. I'd never pay extra for a view, but because I knew this, I emailed the hotel asking for a room in Midtown, which is the main middle section overlooking the lake. I also asked this at check-in, so I was delighted to see that we did have a Midtown room, 4226.

In the hotel lobby, beside the lifts

P1030222.JPG

Art in the corridor of our floor

P1030221.JPG

Our lovely room

P1030201.JPG

Wow, what a difference! The room was gorgeous with an amazing view!

P1030208.JPG

P1030209.JPG

P1030210.JPG

I will do a full hotel/room review on the hotel thread, but I can say now that we loved this room - all the updates were just perfect.

P1030211.JPG

We explored the room and had a bit of a lie down for an hour or so. I think the early start had caught up with us.

Then it was time for our Steakhouse reservation. Mark hadn't been here before so was really looking forward to it as we'd always enjoyed it.

IMG_6681.JPG

IMG_6680.JPG

We chose the Jazz menu (I think) which was a starter and main course. First up was some lovely bread and that fabulous butter

IMG_6682.JPG

John and I both had the chicken caesar salad

P1030223.JPG

The boys had beef carpaccio

P1030224.JPG

Then we all had the Angus skirt steak - they definitely used to have sirloin as a choice before but this was ok.

P1030226.JPG

Full up after our meal we headed back to the park. It was around 19:30 now and very dark, which is perfect for halloween!

P1030227.JPG

We headed towards Phantom Manor via Liberty Arcade. There was only a 5 minute wait.

P1030236.JPG

The ride was great but I noticed a change at the end, no ghost heads but the bride instead.

Frontierland looks amazing in the dark.

IMG_7042.JPG

I loved seeing all the Coco decorations again

IMG_E6685.JPG

IMG_6687.JPG

IMG_6688.JPG

IMG_6689.JPG

We always enjoy Big Thunder Mountain in the dark but wait time as showing 50 minutes so we headed to Pirates instead.

IMG_6690.JPG

This was showing a 5 minute wait and was a walk on. Fantastic time on here again. I notice that if you try to take a picture of the photo it's now obscured with a Mickey padlock, lol

IMG_6691.JPG

These pumpkin heads get everywhere, lol

IMG_6692.JPG

IMG_6693.JPG

We wandered back over to BTM and it was showing a 30 minute wait. I think it was close to park closing time so we decided to join the queue, using left hand lane. We timed it and it was actually closer to 15 minutes. We had a fantastic ride in the dark - absolutely THE best time to ride.

IMG_6694.JPG

I love to see the castle lit up when on this, the fireworks had started and the view was spectacular pixiedust:

The park was closed now but Illuminations was still going on. We left the park via Liberty Arcade and headed back to the hotel.

P1030238.JPG

P1030240.JPG

The boutique was still open so had a look around in there and then went for a drink in the Skyline Bar.

IMG_6695.JPG

The decor in here is lovely with comfy chairs. The screen behind the bar changes and there are a few surprise characters flying around now and again.

IMG_6701.JPG

IMG_6698.JPG

IMG_E6697.JPG

IMG_E6696.JPG

I got a virgin pina colada, Mark a beer, John stuck with coke and Lewis treated himself to one of the Marvel cocktails, a Cosmic.

IMG_E6699.JPG

IMG_6700.JPG

IMG_E6703.JPG

Exhausted after just one drink, we headed up to our room. Showers and settled for the night, we crashed out watching the nice new fancy tv.

ISJP0959.JPG

The plan was to do EMT early (which is why we call it Early Morning Hours) and get the Marvel attractions done. Would we all make it?

More tomorrow.......

Busy 1st day. Love the look of the Art of Marvel, HNY has always been my favourite; so interested to see what they have done with it.

Busy 1st day. Love the look of the Art of Marvel, HNY has always been my favourite; so interested to see what they have done with it.
I was surprised by how much we managed, given how busy it was. We all really liked the hotel, they've done a great job with it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter