Hagrid’s for Drop Chickens!

tiana1989

Mouseketeer
Hello! So I am the wimpiest of all ride wimps, but I realllllly want to try Hagrid’s. I’ve been desperate to try for a couple years and just can’t get over the mental hump. The main thing I absolutely hate (and fear) is the tummy flip. I have never found a way to get over that feeling or learn to enjoy it. So of course I’ve read the million threads about how intense and fast it is and I’ve seen the spoilers about the special drops. But in watching the POV videos, there’s a whole long coaster track before it even gets to that stuff, and I never hear anyone talk about that part. What is the outdoor track comparable to? Slinky Dog? Expedition Everest? Or are there not really drops in that section so it’s more like Test Track (which I love). Secondarily, is the straight down drop bigger or smaller than Rise (which I always get nervous about but then giggle after when it’s nothing)?

Tl;dr version: if I’m fine with speed but not drops, will I survive Hagrid’s? Has anyone who does not like SDD or 7DMT because of the hills tried Hagrid’s and can tell me how it compares?

Most of the track is close to the ground. My drop-wimp friend prefers to sit towards the back of the train, since when you "lose power" the front half of the train does get decently high, before going backwards. The actual "surprise drop" is not very far at all. Less than 1 story. Hagrids is her favorite ride. Though she did also enjoy SDD, so maybe not as wimpy as you?

I suggest giving it a try - worst case, it'll be a one & done. The sidecar feels more secure; you may want to try that side for your first ride.

If you really want to ride it and it’s just fear that’s stopping you, I’d say give it a shot worst case scenario you have a bad couple minutes. If it’s a motion sickness thing that will ruin the rest of your day, then maybe not since you said SDD and 7DMT are too intense for you.

Yeah, with SDD it’s just that first drop. I enjoyed the rest of the ride, especially after the second launch where it gets to the actual slinky part. I wish the whole ride was like that lol. So I’m just worried about Hagrid’s in the beginning where you’re zooming around the outside and whether there are any big dips there that would freak me out. The curves and banking don’t worry me as much.

I HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE drops. Refuse to ride Tower of Terror etc. I went on Hagrids and the drop is really nothing. The anticipation of it is the worst part. I would say the track is similar to SDD without the humps. There are no direct drops except the one part and it's just one story. I would equate the drop to the little drop in Rise of the Resistance if you know what that is. I would suggest if you do ride, to ride in the sidecar. It's the better spot for feeling secure!

If you really want to ride it and it’s just fear that’s stopping you, I’d say give it a shot worst case scenario you have a bad couple minutes. If it’s a motion sickness thing that will ruin the rest of your day, then maybe not since you said SDD and 7DMT are too intense for you

I agree with this and I'm also a ride wimp. When we went in June of 21, we spent 1 day at Hollywood Studios, I'm a massive Star Wars fan and really really wanted to ride Rise of the Resistance. I knew there was a drop but I wanted to see the rest of the ride so I sucked it up and went. Hands down the best ride of the entire trip, and that's with the drop. To me, it's worth the few seconds of tummy flip to get the rest of the experience. I do agree however, if it's going to mess up the rest of your day then it's not worth it.

Ride wimp here, I have done SDD and ROTR at Disney but not Everest. It took me five (!) trips to get up the courage to ride Hagrids (we had annual passes in 2020 right when they reopened and wanted to maximize the no crowd times so went often!).

The drops were fine to me-they seemed minimal. The drops seemed smaller than SDD to me. I was really glad I rode it-but likely won’t do it often. I got more dizzy than anything bc of the many quick curves.

You can definitely do it! It may not be your favorite but you will be glad you rode it! I second the sitting in the side cart advice!

Ride it. Ride it one time. It is an amazing, amazing ride. IMO it is the only ride at any theme park that is worth a two hour wait. My wife is not a thrill ride junkie and she rode it back to back on our last trip. Unless you can't for health reasons, I would recommend anyone ride it at least once. I personally get less queasy on the bike, but you do feel more restricted in the side car.

Honestly, the most surprising part of the drop was that there WAS a drop. The second time I rode it, I realized how mild it actually is. Since you already know going in and are expecting it, you'll realize it's not much. Same way with Rise of the Resistance.

None of the hills are large at all. It is just super smooth and fun. I do struggle a bit with the backwards part, but it's better than the backwards part in Everest, because that one's in the dark which does me in. The straight down drop is not large at all. I'd say a bit less than the RotR one. If you know it's coming, you should be fine. I did not inform my husband (he likes to be surprised) and BOY was he surprised. LOL.
Try it, I really think you'll enjoy it!

Thanks, everyone! I’m at Universal next weekend, so this was super helpful. I’m definitely going to try but might chicken out in line lol.

Give it a go for sure!! I enjoyed it more the second time I rode, in the sidecar. Drop didn't seem like anything! very similar to RotR. There are a lot of launches tho, and the backwards part kinda got me again, but not as bad as the first time. I really love EE, but sometimes it gets me too. Even tho I think it's one of the coolest themed rides in WDW, I do NOT ride ToT.

I do not enjoy big drops, and I get motion sick. I was very wary of the backwards part. I had taken a meclizine and my ride was at night in the dark because by the time we got on it was 11 pm! There are no big steep tummy flip drops in my opinion. It is curvy and twisty and very fast (smooth) so that messed with my head in a moderate way. That might not be so bad in the daytime. I recover pretty quick on the meds. The flat drop is not very far, so no tummy flip for me, and shockingly the backwards ride did not bother me a bit. I did ride in the sidecar and had a great time. Yes it was worth the 2 hour wait!

Haha I’ll be there tomorrow and Sunday, so I’ll definitely report back! Right now I’m leaning toward getting on, but it’s not staring me in the face yet lol.

Peep my title - I am the WIMPIEST of drop chickens. And I LOVE Hagrids!!!! The entire track is pretty much all about speed, so it’s a lot of curves and banking. I never got the tummy flip feeling when going fast through the majority of the ride. If you’re nervous ask to sit in one of the back cars. I always look behind me in the Devil’s Snare portion because you can actually see how far you “fall” and when you can visually identify it it’s laughable (and way shorter than Rise, which I can barely tolerate). I promise you, you will LOVE it! So fun! You’ve got this, report back when you’re done! ;)

Annnnnd I chickened out. Sorry, y’all. A team member told us about that section at the exit where you can see most of the track. It’s a perfect view of that curved drop out of the arches, which is the section I’m most worried about on the whole ride, and once I saw it I knew there was no possible way. I’m super disappointed in myself, but I can’t do that part. Thanks for all the advice anyway! Maybe someday…

Annnnnd I chickened out. Sorry, y’all. A team member told us about that section at the exit where you can see most of the track. It’s a perfect view of that curved drop out of the arches, which is the section I’m most worried about on the whole ride, and once I saw it I knew there was no possible way. I’m super disappointed in myself, but I can’t do that part. Thanks for all the advice anyway! Maybe someday…

It’s ok! There’s always next time if you’re feeling brave. Hope you enjoyed your day in the park!

Hey, dont' fret on it! I chickened out of Velocicoaster last Oct. Still wasn't sure if I'd ride this past March, and I think because we rope dropped, and were hurrying so much, I didn't have time to think about it, and just got on. I still haven't ridden Hulk. Hagrid's will be there when you go back,

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter