Guilty parents who went to WDW with out the Kids!

MK Familystone

DIS Veteran
Sorry I am asking this question, but back in July or August, there were a few Couples who felt guilty going to WDW with out the kids. I have been busy and forgot to do a followup on there experience.?
If there is a link on this site to the info I would appreciate the info?
Thank you!:jester:

The first time, (they were only 10 and 6) and had already been to Disney 3 times since the age of 8 and 5. We lied and told them we were going to a wedding. Another time we went away for our anniversary and stayed in Cocoa Beach (but still spent time at WDW) The third time was two years ago for our anniversary, we told them and stayed at the Wyndham Palace Resort and Spa for five days. My best friend was down there for the week with her husband and kids. They were going to an company Aerosmith concert and we took there three kids to MGM to ride TOT and RRC my friends wouldn't go on those rides). My kids were a little upset when they heard this, but were glad we had fun, which we did. WDW can be very romantic for couples that love Disney. Minus the kids, you have minus the arguments, whining, and can usually go to better restaurants (or only eat once a day if you want and go on all the "mountains" at MK and nothing else. We love going, just the two of us, as well as just the four of us and plan on doing both for a very lonnngggggggg time.
;)

Dh had a conference this fall and I did not go. He has one next year and I'm definitely considering going w/o the kids. Our kids are 12, 10 and 8, have been three times in the past four years. We are planning on taking them again for a week long trip in August. The reason we can't take them again in October is my oldest DS will be in middle school and the work load here is very intense. He would not enjoy himself stressing about school. He did not even want to take 2 days off from 6th grade this year to go in January, that is why we are opting for August. If I go with DH I'll probably white lie and not tell them about going into the parks. If going we will buy annual passes in August. DH didn't go into parks this last trip. It would be a 4 day weekend trip. I'm planning on doing Keys to the Kingdom Tour by myself while DH is in meetings and taking a looooooong leisurely stroll around World Showcase, taking my good old time in each country and all the shops. Something we never get to do with the kids. I will still feel guilty even though they will have just gone in August!!

This is just my opinion & many people disagreed with me last time, but I can't imagine going to Disney without my kids. I will take them with us until they don't want to go with mom & dad any longer. The memories we make with them there are just to priceless to pass up.

DH & myself take other vacations with just the 2 of us. When we are retired we will go to WDW ourselves & meet our grandchildren there just like my mom & dad do now.

I admit it...we did it..........:( I never thought we would). DH and I took a 3 day trip to Orlando and stayed at the Gaylord Palms. It was an unplanned trip. I am a teacher and a parent of a student gave me a free ticket to fly . DH and I have never been away from the kids (10 ans 12)...nope, not even for a night (except sleep over parties). DS is a special needs child and I just could never do it. Well, we did. We left and I cried a little on the plane. Called home when we got to hotel and talked to our nurse (she's been working with us for 5 years) she said all was under control, talked to DD she was having a great time.she said DS was fine, things were great, not to worry. 2nd say...called home ...the kids were having a great time, third day when I called they could care less about us.We didnt plan on going to Disney but we got FREE passes from the hotel so we went twice and had a great time. We were able to go on all the "big" rides and eat late and eat in the fancy restaurants. We had a wonderful time. I wouldnt do it all the time but it was like a different vacation. It was still Disney BUT it felt different. My advice if you can only go once take the family nothing is better than seeing the faces of your children in Disney but if you can go another time without the kids DO IT you deserve it and it is a great time. I know this sounds bad and I never thought I would go on vacation without my family but we did. We were lucky enough to be able to go with the family once and alone once in the same year.

I'm guilty to...I've done it. But I don't feel bad about it. DH and I are planning on going alone for out next anniversary. The first time we went without DD but she was only a little over a year so she had no idea what was going on. We recently went with our DD (4) and our DS (4 mo) and it wasn't much fun. DD is kinda at an age where she's being all rebelous so we told her she can't go back until she learns to behave herself. Plus we figure we should wait until DS is like 2 to go back (that's when DD went for the first time and things were so much easier) So, until then DH and I plan on taking trips by ourselves. It's not like we plan on going away for a long time or anything, just a short get-away for the two of us to go and relax. We wouldn't even consider going anywhere else though...Disney World is the only vaccation spot for us :)

Count me in to the group without kids, but not the group that feels guilty!! We are going next May to get one more trip out of our APs and because we can use airline vouchers that we got due to a cancelled flight. Leaving the kids at home with the grandparents--just haven't decided if the 6 year old will know where we are going! I am totally looking forward to it!! So many things we can do without three little ones in tow. Like go to the parks without a diaper bag and stroller!!

Don't feel too bad for them though--we're going on a total of THREE trips this year. I think they're luckier than most.

I just had friends come back from a 10th anniversary trip w/o the kiddies (6 & 2). I know they had a great time and enjoyed doing the more "adult" things the World has to offer. Their oldest has been before and they plan on another trip with the whole family in a year or two. No guilt and of course they brought back quite a few Disney mementos for their little ones.

We went one year for our 14th anniversary. We went for 6days. My son was 12at the time and thought it was the worst thing we could ever do and my dd was 5. Although she said she wanted to go, I think she was happier to have her Nana do a sleep over for a week. I initially felt bad not taking the kids but it didn;t last long. We never go anywhere by ourselves and we both felt we had earned it. We went in Oct and had brought the kids the previous Dec. We really enjoyed our time and were able to see WDW in a whole new way. We waited only for what we wanted to wait for and were able to bypass the kiddie rides and spend more time on the adult things(Epcot etc.) I would recommend an adults only trip jsut to see WDW from a new prospective.

We have been alone, also. Loved it! Cried at first, but got over it. Parents need time alone, too. Isn't it funny how kids are in a hurry to grow up, and adults want to be like children, to get away from adult responsibilities...but we all go back to a place where we can be kids. Disney. You gotta love it. I love taking my kids, but I love going without them.

Hey! Maybe I was part of one of those couples!

We decided to go to Disney in August without our 3 year old son. It was close to our 6th anniversary, and we were getting ready to start our second years in Law and Medical school, and we really wanted to have some time alone together.

It was a great trip. We experienced many things that we had not yet been able to experience...like riding Tower of terror together! (We had two precious trips together as a family, but our son was one, then two and a half.)
We also had a great time at pleasure island.

But as for a follow up: we are going back this December. We got a great room rate, I got a pretty good job this coming summer with a firm, and I think we all...as a family...need some time together. I think our son, who is 3.5 now, is at a great age to go. Granted, our costs have increased since he is 3 now, but, i think it is well worth the cost.

Now I have an all new dilemma...he is tall enough to go on many of the rides that we had to do the swap on before. I just can't believe that he is that big already!

My mom and I are leaving for a girl's weekend in a few short hours. So not only am I leaving the kids behind, but DH too!! DS is 3 1/2 and only knows Nana and I are going on a trip to Florida. DD is 5 months and its the first time I'm leaving her:( I'm going to miss them like crazy, but I don't feel guilty about going at all. DS has been 3 times and DD once. But now I must sleep because it's almost time to leave for the airport!!!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter