Guardians Train Wreck 12/29

Grasshopper2016

DIS Veteran
Apparently, Guardians was down for more than 4 hours today. Everyone who missed their ride was given a Lightning Lane. I had purchased a ILL$ for late in the day, for a final ride before our 9:30 ADR in the World Showcase (which was very different to get). When we showed up at the ride, the Lightning Lane line was halfway to Mission Space. We were told the line would take 45 minutes. So it was either ride and miss dinner or skip the ride and eat—either of which would require dealing with Guest Services to try to get money back. We chose to ride.

That’s looking like a bad choice. Been in line for well over 30 minutes and we’re nowhere near the loading room. I’m not sure if the ride is even running. And I’m trying to figure out what I can feed my family at 11:00–or whatever we finally get out of here. Sigh.

Apparently, Guardians was down for more than 4 hours today. Everyone who missed their ride was given a Lightning Lane. I had purchased a ILL$ for late in the day, for a final ride before our 9:30 ADR in the World Showcase (which was very different to get). When we showed up at the ride, the Lightning Lane line was halfway to Mission Space. We were told the line would take 45 minutes. So it was either ride and miss dinner or skip the ride and eat—either of which would require dealing with Guest Services to try to get money back. We chose to ride.

That’s looking like a bad choice. Been in line for well over 30 minutes and we’re nowhere near the loading room. I’m not sure if the ride is even running. And I’m trying to figure out what I can feed my family at 11:00–or whatever we finally get out of here. Sigh.
We had this happen in Nov over the runDisney week. GOtG was down for 2 hours, the only hours we had left after flight delays. I skipped rider switch and just let the older kids go while our 4 year old and I went to spaceship earth, Nemo, Moana and Remy (saw fireworks briefly after exiting).

Fortunately we were able to exit around 9:30 pm (Skyliner was 30+ min wait at Epcot) and we ate at Landscape of Flavors around 10:25 pm (closes at 11 pm tonight).

If the line is not moving, I would cut your losses and go eat. Make sure you talk to a CM before exiting and get proof that you didn’t get to ride it (and waited?) for a refund.

Last edited:
It was a mess! We waited in the line up outside around 8:30. It moved well but then it was at a standstill once we got inside. After we eventually moved forward and exited that second room we became very squished in the area where it funnels you toward the ride. Standstill again. Some people were feeling very claustrophobic. We were stuck for a while. They opened the room doors again behind us and more people were pushing in. I am pretty understanding about how bad it can get when rides go down, but it was quite stressful for a while. It was our first time riding it. It is amazing.

We had this happen with ROTR in HS a few months ago. I used the chat feature in My Disney Experience App and they refunded the LL for the whole party. The lines at the CM blue umbrella stands were so long I was willing to walk away from the money, but tried the chat feature before we were seated for dinner. It took about 5 mins to get a response.

A coda for anyone who is interested. We ended up waiting in the Lightning Lane for about an hour and 10 minutes. The ride itself was amazing, as always. Afterwards, we walked as fast as we could and made it to Kimonos in the Swan at 11:00. Fortunately, they were still serving dinner. A very frustrating experience, but at least it worked out okay.

A coda for anyone who is interested. We ended up waiting in the Lightning Lane for about an hour and 10 minutes. The ride itself was amazing, as always. Afterwards, we walked as fast as we could and made it to Kimonos in the Swan at 11:00. Fortunately, they were still serving dinner. A very frustrating experience, but at least it worked out okay.
Glad it worked out!

Do know that next time something goes wrong like that you can just chat in the app for refunds if you want a refund.

I knew I would need to deal with Guest Services to get a refund either way—for the ILL$ if we went to dinner or for the dining no-show fee if we stayed in the line. We decided to do the ride on the merits of which was more important to us. I’ll have to deal with the dining refund when we get home.

That said, it’s good to know that you can get a refund using the chat feature on the app. That never even occurred to me!

I just did the chat. They said no. Very disappointing. We have been to the parks for many years. Being packed in there was probably the worst park experience I have had - not knowing when we would get out of there and people getting panicky.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter