"Grumpy" at HH!

WebmasterDoc

DIS Veteran
Last evening round 6pm a beautiful yacht pulled into the Shelter Cove Harbor where the DVC resort is located. The yacht's name is "Grumpy" complete with the familiar icon on the sides and stern. This yacht is about 100' in length and has had several crew members hard at work scrubbing the decks and gunnels all day long today.

Here is a view of Grumpy (Building 28 is immediately behind) (CLick on the image for a larger view)

Here is another shot of Grumpy with the Holiday (Dolphin Cruise ship) and Capt Hook (fishing boat) in the view. Grumpy dwarfs (pun intended :teeth: ) both of those boats. The DVC resort is in the background.

It looks like you are having some good weather at HHI. How are the crowds on the Island now that the PGA tournament and Easter are over?

By the way, can you tell where the home port is for the Grumpy?

The weather has been really gorgeous. Mid-70s with low humidity and the crowds are gone - even this past week saw a big difference from Heritage week and today has really been quiet.

The Grumpy is out of N. Palm Beach, FL.

I'll see if I can get a stern shot later.

That is so cool! One thing we love to do at HHI is stroll along the marina there to look at the boats and all their unusual names. This one was especially funny-

DSC_0517.jpg

We were there both before and after Easter and the tournament.It was especially crowded Friday and Saturday, but the crowds really died down dramatically Monday.

We'll be there in 28 days!! I'm hoping for weather in the 80's. If you happen along the beach, a few shots would be appreciated. This will be our first visit, I can't wait...:banana:

We'll be there in 28 days!! I'm hoping for weather in the 80's. If you happen along the beach, a few shots would be appreciated. This will be our first visit, I can't wait...:banana:

We were at the beach, but I didn't get any pictures. Maybe Doc will have some. I did see a lot of jellyfish. And when we were at Salty Dog, I saw a few swimming. However, I just found out today that the jellyfish at HHI in the spring are called Cannonball jellyfish, not stinging at all. Boy, I wish I'd known they were so safe when I first saw them!

We were at the beach, but I didn't get any pictures. Maybe Doc will have some. I did see a lot of jellyfish. And when we were at Salty Dog, I saw a few swimming. However, I just found out today that the jellyfish at HHI in the spring are called Cannonball jellyfish, not stinging at all. Boy, I wish I'd known they were so safe when I first saw them!

Glad you said something about them! Let's hope they move along in this next month!:eek:

Yeah, the beach is strewn with those big jellyfish. The surf temps are already mid-70s and rising quickly. We talked with one of the Beach Patrol and were told these are just a nuisance - the Man-of-War jellies are the nasty ones and they are here in July-Aug when the ocean temp is mid-80s.

We always get a kick out of the "She'll Get Over It" too. Another favorite is the "Wu Wei" even though its just a beat up little sailboat.

I took a 10 mile bike ride this morning with a couple of miles along the beach and did get some pics. It's always a thrill to see pods of dolphin swimming 30 yards offshore.

Click on an image for a larger view.

Looks like a great time, Doc, and I'd love to be enjoying those temps and that ocean over our freezing temps and snow flurries the past few days. We have been below freezing for a couple of mornings yet.

Thanks Doc! The beach really looks beautiful. Now if those big 'ole jelly fish get moving along, I'd really like to swim in that beach!!:goodvibes

Yeah, the beach is strewn with those big jellyfish. The surf temps are already mid-70s and rising quickly. We talked with one of the Beach Patrol and were told these are just a nuisance - the Man-of-War jellies are the nasty ones and they are here in July-Aug when the ocean temp is mid-80s.

We always get a kick out of the "She'll Get Over It" too. Another favorite is the "Wu Wei" even though its just a beat up little sailboat.

I took a 10 mile bike ride this morning with a couple of miles along the beach and did get some pics. It's always a thrill to see pods of dolphin swimming 30 yards offshore.

Click on an image for a larger view.

I grew up visiting Myrtle Beach every April - I miss the sand & waves (and tiny purple clams that dug in after every wave) of SC so much! I'll have to make time (and save points) for a HHI visit in the near future.

Thanks for the perfect pics!

BTW - be careful of those jellies - I lifted a small one up on my knee when I was 11... Although it didn't hurt too much I had a red scar that lasted about a decade and my knee has never been the same.

There were a LOT of jellyfish at HH last August. We each got a turn or 2 at being stung. Thankfully the lifeguards had vinegar to spray on the stings. DH still has a red mark on one leg from one of his. It wrapped around his leg and got him pretty good. We ended up spending a lot of time by the pool because we couldn't play in ocean very much.

There were a LOT of jellyfish at HH last August. We each got a turn or 2 at being stung. Thankfully the lifeguards had vinegar to spray on the stings. DH still has a red mark on one leg from one of his. It wrapped around his leg and got him pretty good. We ended up spending a lot of time by the pool because we couldn't play in ocean very much.

Some do have a nasty sting they are not common until the water gets a lot warmer - mostly late June-mid Sep. The Sea Nettle is the most likely to be the culprit at HH. We got nailed a few times last July and August. DW had a scar for a few months afterwards - mine only lasted a few days but it sure does get your attention when the tentacles drag across your leg or arm.

If you are stung you can rub sea water over the area and then scrape the area with a credit card to remove some the nematocysts. Do NOT use fresh water as that releases more of the toxin from the nematocysts.

Cannonball Jelly
(Stomolophus meleagris)
(Also known as the jellyball, and the cabbage head jelly) 8-10" in size. Little danger to humans

Mushroom Jelly
(Rhopilema verrilli)10-20" in size. No danger to humans

Southern Moon Jelly
(Aurelia marginalis) typically 6-8" but can be larger. Infrequent in SC. The moon jelly is only slightly venomous. Contact can produce symptoms from immediate prickly sensations to mild burning. Pain is usually restricted to immediate area of contact.

Lion’s Mane
(Cyanea capillata) 6-8" in size. Usually prevalent in winter months.
Symptoms are similar to those of the moon jelly but, usually more intense. Pain is relatively mild and often described as burning rather than stinging.

Sea Nettle
(Chrysaora quinquecirrha)
The sea nettle is frequently observed in South Carolina waters during summer months. This jellyfish is saucer-shaped with brown or red pigments, usually 6-8 inches in diameter. Four oral arms and long marginal tentacles hang from the bell and can extend several feet. Considered moderate to severe, symptoms from sea nettle stings are similar to those of the lion’s mane. Given that they are most abundant in the summer, when the greatest number of people are likely to be swimming in the ocean, this species is thought to be responsible for most of the jellyfish stings that occur in South Carolina. Exercise caution if sea nettles are observed in the water, and do not swim if large numbers are present.

Sea Wasp
(Chiropsalmus quadrumanus)
Known as the box jelly because of its cube-shaped bell, the sea wasp is the most venomous jellyfish inhabiting our waters. Their potent sting can cause severe dermatitis and may even require hospitalization. Sea wasps are strong, graceful swimmers reaching 5-6 inches in diameter and 4-6 inches in height. Several long tentacles hang from the four corners of the cube. A similar species, the four-tentacled Tamoya haplonema, also occurs in our waters.

Portuguese Man-of-War
(Physalia physalis)
Although a member of the phylum Cnidaria, the Portuguese man-of-war is not a "true" jellyfish. These animals consist of a complex colony of individual members, including a float, modified feeding polyps and reproductive medusae. Though they infrequently visit our coast, swimmers should learn to identify these highly venomous creatures.

Physalia typically inhabit the warm waters of the tropics, subtropics and Gulf Stream. Propelled by wind and ocean currents, they sometimes drift into nearshore waters of South Carolina. Though they infrequently visit our coast, swimmers should learn to identify these highly venomous creatures.

The gas-filled float of the man-of-war is purple-blue and can reach lengths of 10 inches. Under the float, tentacles equipped with thousands of nematocysts hang from the feeding polyps extending as much as 30 to 60 feet.

The man-of-war can inflict extremely painful stings. Symptoms include severe shooting pain described as a shock-like sensation, and intense joint and muscle pain. Pain may be accompanied by headaches, shock, collapse, faintness, hysteria, chills, fever, nausea and vomiting. Given the significant danger of Physalia, all jellyfish having a blue float should be considered dangerous unless specified by an expert.

Here is a link to the article from the South Carolina DNR.

We saw the Portuguese Man of War on our Mexican Riviera cruise

ry%3D480

We definitely cleared out of the water there! They were washing up all over the beach at Mazatlan.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter