• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Grocery Shopping in Orlando for our 9 day stay

BobbyDukes

Mouseketeer
Going down a day (roughly 8 hours) early and staying in an Orlando Airport area hotel. Theres a local Walmart close by and I plan on taking a Hockey bag and stocking up there and bringing the food with us to Old Key West.
Does anyone have any suggestions or tips on grocery shopping in the MCO area?
Anyone have any horror stories or issues I should try to avoid?

We always do our grocery shopping on arrival day and stock up the condo for the whole trip.
No horror stories except that no matter what time we've gone, Walmart on 27 has been busy.

This year, I'm trying the order ahead/pick up option! If I can get rid of that grocery task, I'll be a happy girl.

Just a shopping center or two further from the airport, you have Aldi and publix. Publix is great if you play the coupon game. Aldi has everything you need.

That is my old neighborhood. Twenty years ago that Walmart was worn out. I wonder if they ever remodeled?

I would rethink the hockey bag, unless it was washed really well immediately before putting food, even nonperishables, in it.

We order from Garden Grocer, but when we have a car I go to Publix or Winn Dixie. Wal-Mart is always too crazy busy for me. I agree Goodings is expensive and doesn't have much variety to boot.

I would rethink the hockey bag, unless it was washed really well immediately before putting food, even nonperishables, in it.
The hockey bag is new, found it for sale at Dicks Sporting goods and only use it as a large vacation bag when we go to Maine. I dont even play hockey. But i want the size for the sheer volume to "one bag it" into our Hotel.

:offtopic: Where do you go in Maine? I live here so I'm always curious about where visitors choose to tour!

I shop at Publix when I go to WDW. There might be cheaper options, but Publix is pretty affordable (compared to what we pay at home) and they have a HUGE variety of things, so it's one-stop shopping. We don't have the chain up here, but my daughter shops at Aldi regularly because the prices are so good. However, she says that produce is hit-or-miss, and you never know what grocery products will be in stock- but it's excellent for dairy/cheese, "dry" foods (pasta, crackers, snacks, etc) and canned/jarred things. I do not like Walmart produce- it always seems to rot almost immediately- and their meats (pork, beef) have a funky texture to me, so I don't usually buy groceries at Walmart. Goodings IS more expensive, but on our very first trip to WDW (back in 1998), when we have very young kids and knew nothing of Disney restaurants, we bought our suppers at Goodings as they had a large variety of ready-made meals, and at the time were the only grocery doing so. DH and BIL would take the girls back to the hotel (Residence Inn) and cook their supper while my sister and I went to Goodings and picked out individual meals for the adults. Not necessarily the cheapest option, but WAY more affordable than the Disney restaurants!

I would recommend Publix as an affordable, convenient, one-stop shopping trip at the start of vacation!

:offtopic: Where do you go in Maine? I live here so I'm always curious about where visitors choose to tour!

I shop at Publix when I go to WDW. There might be cheaper options, but Publix is pretty affordable (compared to what we pay at home) and they have a HUGE variety of things, so it's one-stop shopping. We don't have the chain up here, but my daughter shops at Aldi regularly because the prices are so good. However, she says that produce is hit-or-miss, and you never know what grocery products will be in stock- but it's excellent for dairy/cheese, "dry" foods (pasta, crackers, snacks, etc) and canned/jarred things. I do not like Walmart produce- it always seems to rot almost immediately- and their meats (pork, beef) have a funky texture to me, so I don't usually buy groceries at Walmart. Goodings IS more expensive, but on our very first trip to WDW (back in 1998), when we have very young kids and knew nothing of Disney restaurants, we bought our suppers at Goodings as they had a large variety of ready-made meals, and at the time were the only grocery doing so. DH and BIL would take the girls back to the hotel (Residence Inn) and cook their supper while my sister and I went to Goodings and picked out individual meals for the adults. Not necessarily the cheapest option, but WAY more affordable than the Disney restaurants!

I would recommend Publix as an affordable, convenient, one-stop shopping trip at the start of vacation!
I love going to Publix when I am in Florida. They aren't the cheapest but I always figure I am paying way less than if I eat at a restaurant for every meal. I will splurge on Boars Head deli meat and cut up fruit. They also have great hot food such as chicken and side dishes. I have never gone there for Disney but always go when we are at the beach.

Avoid walmart, especially in that area. One time we were there I had to make an emergency run for diapers and Walmart was the closest store. Took me 2 minutes to get to isle and grab pack, waited in line for close to 30 min to just check out. Publix is the way to go or possibly Trader Joe’s if you are close to one.

We are flying into Melbourne on Thursday and have a car rented to drive to OKW. The flight/car combo was $900 cheaper than flying into MCO for some reason. We already have our food ordered from Walmart for pickup between 1 and 2:00 PM. We did the same in our April trip and it was flawless. The WOWFRESH code also helped.

Publix would be our second choice. Their prices on everyday items is just too high. We had considered Aldi but they don't have everything we want and really didn't want to stop twice.

From the airport, you have plenty of options. Walmart/Aldi/Publix/Winn Dixie/Goodings(Don't)/Supertarget start the list.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter