Greetings etiquette post vaccination

disneyworldsk

DIS Veteran
so we had family over outdoors (due to beautiful weather) , bbq, four people plus my own gathering. haven't seen them since september 2020. nice. but one person kept shaking everyone's hand. to say hello and goodbye. i'm just not a handshake fan anymore. being family, hands were shaken, then went to wash them, and it's awkward to say no to a family member who puts his hand out to you to shake. others were hugging and asked permission first. everything is so uncomfortable!
what are you no longer comfortable with after vaccination in your greetings?

so we had family over outdoors (due to beautiful weather) , bbq, four people plus my own gathering. haven't seen them since september 2020. nice. but one person kept shaking everyone's hand. to say hello and goodbye. i'm just not a handshake fan anymore. being family, hands were shaken, then went to wash them, and it's awkward to say no to a family member who puts his hand out to you to shake. others were hugging and asked permission first. everything is so uncomfortable!
I’m never shaking hands again, lol. Just offer a fist bump instead? My DH has been doing this for years. No one has ever been offended.

Family--we hug (or if it's guys, we do the handshake/hug "bro hug" thing).

Other folks--it's usually an elbow tap, fist bump or something equally awkward.

If one thing is clear from all of this is you need to take care of you, if you are not comfortable just decline, say thanks but I'm not comfortable with that right now. My oldest an his wife made it clear early on they wanted us to wear masks and avoid physical contact as much as possible, while unfortunate I appreciated knowing exactly where they stood. Poor guy had 2 cases of Covid even being ultra safe. If anyone has an issue with you stating your position then its on them.

I'm not getting the vaccine anytime soon, but I never liked handshakes before the virus. Imagine being at a trade show and shaking 100's of hands. Hands that wiped noses, went to the bathroom, and who knows what else? If I ever was under the weather before, and someone offered a handshake, I'd politely offer a bump and let them know I had been battling a cold earlier, etc, and they got it. I think most people would not be offended if you offered a bump or whatever you want... you could even just wave, lol.

Howie Mandel was on to something...

I was at an event this weekend and someone introduced themselves to me so I (rather automatically) stuck my hand out to shake. She visibly recoiled and then I quickly apologized and we both joked about the new normal and we bumped elbows.

In NJ we stand at least six feet apart and then the greeter yells, "Are you vaccinated???!!!!" and then the other person yells back, "Yeah!! You???" and then we wave and turn and run in opposite directions.

Seriously, though. I've been hugged by a few family members before I could say,"hey, how are ya?" and politely decline with body language, but most of the time we just verbally greet. I haven't seen a handshake anywhere for quite some time, and I'm glad. I never liked taking someone's hand and finding it moist and warm, ick. My sister and I are back to kissing each other on the cheek when we part after being out together, we're both vaxxed and have been in the car with each other maskless anyway so didn't see the point of not *not* doing it anymore.

We are basically back to the beginning of the pandemic, trying to figure out what is socially acceptable, but now in reverse.

In the beginning of the pandemic I scared some people by instinctually doing what I had always done, hold doors open, offer to reach stuff in stores when I saw someone struggling, pick something up someone dropped to hand to them, etc.

Either new socially acceptable ways to greet one another will remain, or we will fall back to the same ones we have used for a long time.

Some people will be happy, others annoyed.

We are basically back to the beginning of the pandemic, trying to figure out what is socially acceptable, but now in reverse.

In the beginning of the pandemic I scared some people by instinctually doing what I had always done, hold doors open, offer to reach stuff in stores when I saw someone struggling, pick something up someone dropped to hand to them, etc.

Either new socially acceptable ways to great one another will remain, or we will fall back to the same ones we have used for a long time.

Some people will be happy, others annoyed.

This is so true! I remember early on when I was in a grocery store and a woman couldn't reach something. My instinct was to just grab it for her, but I stopped and asked her if she wanted me to get it for her. It was against my natural tendencies. Same thing with holding open doors.

You know I should ask my husband how it's been in the business world with vendors who come to the office.

I do think perhaps for a while normal interactions may be a bit more hesitant in engaging in physical contact be it a hug or a handshake outside of family and friends who you know are comfortable with it. Our default may be to maintain contactless interactions for a bit longer.

I know a lot of people (honestly including myself) liked the distance we got at stores especially in line so I think spatial awareness might be stronger for a while longer.

Someone at church yesterday went to shake my hand! I was so flustered. I just did an elbow bump instead.
Truly, even without covid, I feel no need to be shaking people's hands.

I was never a fan of handshakes pre-pandemic. Now I think people are done with that thank goodness. DH's family (pre-pandemic) greeted with kisses to the cheek, which I was NEVER a fan of, especially during cold and flu season. Now, I think it's acceptable to just smile and wave while saying "hello" to greet people, which is what I would do if someone tried to shake my hand.

I have years of experience using public bathrooms and can confidently say that less than half of men wash their hands after going to the bathroom (1 second of a water splash doesn't count) so handshakes were already a thing of the past in my opinion.

I have years of experience using public bathrooms and can confidently say that less than half of men wash their hands after going to the bathroom (1 second of a water splash doesn't count) so handshakes were already a thing of the past in my opinion.

I’ve heard this and find it a bit unsettling, although I haven’t shaken hands with anyone in awhile, only in a business setting, and will avoid it if I can. Personally, I’d be happy to adopt the Asian custom of bowing, or just a respectful head nod.

With family and close friends, I tend to hug and/or kiss, and am fine with it, now that most if not all in my circle are fully vaccinated.

Valid point, just offer a fist bump. Durning all my business dealings depending on the age of person (hand shaking can be a sign of respect). So I try to not insult them or just do the first bump thing and joke about blaming it on rona, if they insist on hand shaking it’s not the end of the world. Just don’t touch your mouth, eyes, noise and lower privates before washing your hands.

personally I’m a toucher so it’s been hard to retrain myself that people are fearful of personal touch or that just haven’t ever liked it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter