Great time at SSR

pcparamedics01

DIS Veteran
WE had a great view at Congress Park. It was great!!Housekeeping was slow!! But all in all a great trip!!!!

What's worse is if they have your number, then you feel that you're never safe from identity theft - Lifelock.com is an excellent service to prevent anyone opening any account - they are great - sometimes too good!! (as in if you want to open an account at a store that is having a promotion - you do have to jump some hoops - its all great protection tho!)

Good luck, hope you can post some details to help anyone else protect their cc # too!

Mike©;20469620 said:
So was the charge made in the Orlando area?

She does not have all the details until Monday. Like many have posted on the beware of theft in the ssr thread. Anything is possible. Someone posted the door could of been left opened which I do not believe it was. An intruder etc. Always a possiblility.All she knows is that she never uses the card and it is put away when she is home. There has been a lot of fishy thing and things stolen on the thread. Makes me worried.

What's worse is if they have your number, then you feel that you're never safe from identity theft - Lifelock.com is an excellent service to prevent anyone opening any account - they are great - sometimes too good!! (as in if you want to open an account at a store that is having a promotion - you do have to jump some hoops - its all great protection tho!)

Good luck, hope you can post some details to help anyone else protect their cc # too!

Thank you! I feel aweful. All people my Mother!!!

I had a fraudulent charge on my credit card a couple of months ago. It was a card I haven't used for awhile but I did give the number to Enterprise Car Rental when I rented a car while my car was being repaired after an accident. The insurance company paid for the rental direct but Enterprise wanted the number as a guarantee. About a month later I had a call from the bank questioning a $1,800 charge for athleticwear. They didn't have the 3 digit number from the back. Nope, I didn't do it. They marked it as fraudulent, closed my account and sent me a new card. It really wasn't a big hassle.

My Mother just called today! As you remember I posted earlier in this thread that nothing of ours were stolen! They weren't but someone used my mother's number off her credit card and charged 1700.00. I cannot give you the details where etc. because the fraud dept is involved.

Now my mother never uses her credit card. She just brought it to SSR for an emergency. She pays cash for everything. She has never had it anywhere unattended except for that one day she did not take her purse at SSR and the room was cleaned when we came back. If you remember we complained about the room being dirty. We did not know they were going to just come in and clean it again. They never mentioned that.

Now my mother got a call from the bank today and they said that it looked suspicious because she never uses her card and asked her if she charged 1700.00. She said no!! I am soo upset and feel so bad it happened to my mother. She was my guest at this resort. I will post as I know more.

I also posted it one the Beware SSR thread.

I am so upset this is the 4th person now to date in the last month that I have heard this from at the SSR.. I wonder if they have done anything to rectify the problem?? I am going in Nov to SSR and we are so uncomfortable with the theft issue.. I hope that it all works out for mom and also SSR needs to be notified so the issue can be corrected asap before we have more issues. I will keep posted to your thread to see how it all goes for you. I am so sorry to you and your family I am sure you feel so violated and now feel uneasiness going back any time soon. Good Luck PC!!

She wouldn't have needed to leave the card unattended, and they wouldn't need the actual card. The truth is people worry about all the bizarre techniques and go to extraordinary measures to protect themselves, but we all routinely commit the riskiest behavior there is with a credit card.

The riskiest thing you can do with a credit card is use it at a bar or restaurant. Crooked servers carry electronic devices called "skimmers" and all they have to do is swipe your card while they have it to ring up a purchase, and poof -- they've got your info.

They can then copy that electronic record onto a stolen card and now there is a duplicate of your card out there living large.

Just the theft of her credit card info will not necessarily be a huge ordeal, and the question of where the card was used is an excellent question. If it was used in the WDW area or nearby, it might not be a big problem. The card has been cancelled by now, so that's over. It's unlikely that there will be "identity theft" following a theft like that, because they got their $1,700 quick hit and they're done. It's easier to go skim another card than it is to go through all the hassle of identity theft.

Did she leave an imprint at the front desk when she checked in "for incidentals?" Could it be that the card was accidentally charged by the resort?

She wouldn't have needed to leave the card unattended, and they wouldn't need the actual card....

OP said her mother never uses the card and brought it only for emergencies. It couldn't be skimmed if she never used it. (Although it is good to let people know about skimming).

OP I am SO sorry to hear about this. Considering this and the other thread it seems that SSR may have some staffing issues they need to look into.

Sorry to hear about this. If all of these incidents are occuring, DVC needs to know about them. If they are happening at SSR, they could happen anywhere. Clearly, we all need to take better precautions, but Disney clearly needs to supervise their staff better, and put in safeguards for the guests.

Has anyone here contacted MS about this?

Sorry to hear about this. If all of these incidents are occuring, DVC needs to know about them. If they are happening at SSR, they could happen anywhere. Clearly, we all need to take better precautions, but Disney clearly needs to supervise their staff better, and put in safeguards for the guests.

I don't think OP has given enough information to jump to conclusions. I doubt if she even knows yet where her mother might have used the card (if at all) or where the charges occurred.

It's actually a lot more likely that the theft of the card info took place somewhere other than her SSR room.

I had a fraudulent charge on my credit card a couple of months ago. It was a card I haven't used for awhile but I did give the number to Enterprise Car Rental when I rented a car while my car was being repaired after an accident. The insurance company paid for the rental direct but Enterprise wanted the number as a guarantee. About a month later I had a call from the bank questioning a $1,800 charge for athleticwear. They didn't have the 3 digit number from the back. Nope, I didn't do it. They marked it as fraudulent, closed my account and sent me a new card. It really wasn't a big hassle.
This situation is a LOT more likely to result in identity theft than OP's mother's situation. If you stop and think about all of the information on a rental car contract, you'll see why -- not only credit card info, but also full name, drivers license info, home address, phone numbers, etc, etc, etc.

To make matters worse, many car rental places make extra copies of contracts they don't need and end up just throwing them in the trash instead of shreading them. If a crooked employee doesn't get your info, a "dumpster diver" will!

I'd be sure you've put "fraud alerts" on your files at all three credit reporting agencies. Get a copy of all of your reports and check them not only for new accounts you didn't open, but also for addresses that are not yours.

I am really sorry this happened to your Mom, as I have had several dealings with credit card and identity theft.

But that said, let's please do not be rash to judge what and where it was misued.

I recently had a credit card used fraudulently that had never, ever been taken out of my safe at my home. Never used, never taken out of the safe and yet the numbers to my account were stolen and charges were made.

So until the proof shows where the charges were made lets not rush to judgement.

If you have concrete evidence that Disney staff was involved, then contact MS, if not I would be careful of what I accuse people of.

I had my amex # stolen many years ago. We always make ressies using one card but actually pay with another. This was how we caught it. Whether ops mother left her card out or not, the number was still stolen at a DVC resort, while in a room. It makes no difference if someone is blaming housekeeping or not, it was still taken, in a room, at a DVC resort. Apparently nothing is sacred anymore which is really sad. Security knows who goes in and out of those rooms and if anyone tries to say differently, they are full of it. Disney knows what goes on in all aspects of the resorts and parks. They prefer to handle it on their own, so no one else knows what is going on because they do not want the public to know what goes on.

I had my amex # stolen many years ago. We always make ressies using one card but actually pay with another. This was how we caught it. Whether ops mother left her card out or not, the number was still stolen at a DVC resort, while in a room. It makes no difference if someone is blaming housekeeping or not, it was still taken, in a room, at a DVC resort. Apparently nothing is sacred anymore which is really sad. Security knows who goes in and out of those rooms and if anyone tries to say differently, they are full of it. Disney knows what goes on in all aspects of the resorts and parks. They prefer to handle it on their own, so no one else knows what is going on because they do not want the public to know what goes on.

Not saying this is the case with the OP's mother, but how would security know if someone went in through an open sliding door.

How many people check into a resort that has a sliding door and check immediately to see if it is locked.

Also the OP has not said if the card was used in the Orlando area or not, only that fradulent charges were made. We don't have enough info to know where the numbers were lifted.

How many people check into a resort that has a sliding door and check immediately to see if it is locked.

I do, I do!

But then I have two boys, ages 5 & 6, who look at an open door & a balcony as a giant opportunity to do something stupid. :lmao:

Not saying this is the case with the OP's mother, but how would security know if someone went in through an open sliding door.

Also the OP has not said if the card was used in the Orlando area or not, only that fradulent charges were made. We don't have enough info to know where the numbers were lifted.

Because they have cameras EVERYWHERE! Outside that is and in hallways!

My card was used once and like the OP said it was one I never used, and they got it by swiping it from the mail and since I never used it I was not expecting it. They even went so far to change the address on the account, and by chance one day the post office accidently put the statement in my mail box with the change of address sticker on it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter