Grateful, Thankful, Blessed: our 25th Anniversary SeaWorld Celebration (Spring ’18 TR)

I highly recommend the penguin tour! I did the sea lion tour in April and the penguins last September and while I enjoyed them both, the penguin tour was AMAZING. I may be slightly biased because I'm penguin obsessed but there was a lot of really interesting information and getting to interact with the penguins was so special. They were so curious and adorable! And the guide who did my tour took some wonderful photos of my husband and I so even though there was no park photographer there, I got some great shots on my own camera (like this one, how cute is that penguin?!).

ThMQLbp.jpg

So cute! I definitely want to do this tour (because I love birds, and penguins are adorable). I don't mind the lack of photographer either, as the new Animal Ambassador tour doesn't have one either

I can't wait to see what happened next........
We leave in two days! :banana:

And I totally have to agree we love our disboards meets and have met some truly great friends this way! ::yes::

We will keep an eye out for T and give her a disboards Bo Bina Hello :wave:

Sunday, May 6th: from Dolphin Days to a Dolphin “Daze”

As we huffed and puffed our way into Dolphin Cove, T was waiting and watching for us, and waved us toward where she was standing within the area where they conduct the Dolphins Up Close tours. We were blubbering embarrassed apologies :o as she exclaimed “You made it just in time!” and began instructing us to remove our lanyards, sunglasses, cell phones, and any other accessories we were carrying. We quickly piled up our stuff on the grass alongside the walkway and she motioned us over to one of the stations alongside the dolphin pool.

For anyone who hasn’t experienced one of Seaworld’s tours yet, you TOTALLY should ::yes::. Thanks to a little good luck and some incredible special offers (some for passmembers and others on Black Friday), we have been blessed to have done several over the years……a VIP tour (though the specific version we have enjoyed is no longer offered), the Behind the Scenes Tour, the Dolphin Encounter, and the Wild Arctic Tour….and every single one of them has been nothing short of fantastic. Worth every penny and such amazing experiences and memories :thumbsup2. So when the realization sunk in that T had arranged for us to take part in the Dolphin Encounter tour that day, well…..I wasn’t sure if I wanted to scream with joy or let all that gratitude come oozing out in the form of tears. I’m a crier, so I definitely lean to the latter when push comes to shove :rolleyes:.

That said, when we next realized that not only had T made space for us for the Dolphin Encounter but that our session would be exclusively for us alone (generally speaking, couples or small families are combined with another small group and the interaction is a shared event), with her as our trainer…..well, the joy completely took over :banana:. For both of us.

@chiamarie, SOMEDAY we will find a way to properly say thank you. Are you sure you don’t want to be our daughter in law? :scratchin ;)

Because we had arrived at literally the LAST possible moment, we were launched right into the awesomeness of the tour……the details of which can be found here: https://seaworld.com/orlando/tours/dolphins-up-close/

Dolphins Up-Close Tour

Find out what it takes to be a SeaWorld dolphin trainer, when you come face-to-face with the ocean’s most playful ambassador on this approximately 30-minute hands-on tour.

You will learn first-hand from our trainers about behaviors, training techniques and the world-class care we provide for these amazing animals. Please see More Details for additional information.

· Spend time side-by-side with our trainers as you get hands-on with our dolphin family.

· Practice what you've learned while asking a dolphin to perform some of the behaviors.

· Opportunity to have your picture taken while touching and feeding dolphins.

36327420_10156847061136416_451305662996021248_n.jpg

“Our” dolphin was Archer, and he was a complete charmer :flower3:. Full of energy and personality, he was happy to strut his stuff and show off his amazing talents at T’s (and our!) bidding …...as part of the tour, we received a short lesson in dolphin hand signals, so we too could help give instructions and watch the awesomeness unfold.

36283314_10156847060381416_7225186133578088448_n.jpg

36276952_10156847061111416_6974843407701114880_n.jpg

36237242_10156847061176416_4495055262381506560_n.jpg

He wowed us with his graceful jumps, took great delight in splashing us with his strong tail, and graciously allowed us to give him a gentle tummy rub without complaint. It is both inspiring and humbling to be around T when she’s in SeaWorld staff mode: she is SO knowledgeable, so patient, and her love for the animals is so obvious.

36242154_10156847060831416_5544489718969794560_n.jpg

We even went "fishing"! :p

36299122_10156847060866416_6786642317362069504_n.jpg

Park photographers were stationed across the pool from the tour guests and captured photos of each small group as they enjoyed their one-on-one moments with the dolphins. T was happy to hear that we had already purchased the annual Photokey, as the pictures from today’s session would be included on the key.

36308908_10156847060351416_470969032594423808_n.jpg

One of the most incredible moments of the tour was getting to "dance" with the handsome Mr. Archer. While I can honestly say that our entire trip was nothing short of fantastic (Saturday’s migraine excepted), this moment was the cherry on the sundae :worship:. This is what sets SeaWorld apart from all the other theme parks in Orlando. And this is one of those times where I wished that I could just stop time and savor the moment longer.

36270203_10156847060366416_7194498471989084160_n.jpg

36315604_10156847060611416_4497913876649607168_n.jpg

Grateful :goodvibes. Thankful :goodvibes. Blessed :goodvibes.

When our session was over, T had to dash…..she was still on shift, though her work day was wrapping up shortly…..so we gave her big hugs of appreciation and made a promise to chat soon to finalize our dinner date for later that week. After all she had done for us on this trip, the least we could do was treat her to a meal out, and Kobe’s was on the itinerary for exactly that reason :thumbsup2. She accompanied us over to the Photokey desk so we could have our pictures added to our Key, and we bid her adieu.

We were positively beaming as we headed out of Dolphin Cove. For a “bonus day” at SeaWorld which we hadn’t originally been planning, it couldn’t have been any better of a day :).

We had plans for another Dismeet later that evening, so we opted to head back to the resort at this point in the late afternoon. We wanted some time to freshen up and grab some dinner before we met with @pattyw and her husband for drinks at SVR. We made the quick trek to the parking lot, hopped in the rental vehicle, and were pulling into the Vistana in short order. And yes, as we trundled up the stairs to our villa, we were STILL smiling! :teeth:

Sunday Fun-day, indeed ::yes::.

The balance of our day is next!

Ah! Cool. Standing by for photos.

They're up! Thanks for being patient!

Wait, didn't you say YOU wanted to grow.

You are going to look some strange wearing those around my friend...

And those fishnets won't go very well with your lederhosen.

And that's when things started to get weird :rolleyes1 :rotfl:.

I've never had anyone complain when I wear fishnets with lederhosen, so there!
But dang those corsets are uncomfortable. Probably just need to lose a couple pounds.

I think I'd rather wear a corset than those shoes ;).

I highly recommend the penguin tour! I did the sea lion tour in April and the penguins last September and while I enjoyed them both, the penguin tour was AMAZING. I may be slightly biased because I'm penguin obsessed but there was a lot of really interesting information and getting to interact with the penguins was so special. They were so curious and adorable! And the guide who did my tour took some wonderful photos of my husband and I so even though there was no park photographer there, I got some great shots on my own camera (like this one, how cute is that penguin?!).

ThMQLbp.jpg
That photo is FANTASTIC! :worship: And that penguin is so CUTE! :cutie:

How cold did you find the tour? Would you recommend a coat?

Haha! I forgot all about you getting "lost"!

We are such a pair of idiots, sometimes :sad2:.

I can't wait to see what happened next........
We leave in two days! :banana:

And I totally have to agree we love our disboards meets and have met some truly great friends this way! ::yes::

We will keep an eye out for T and give her a disboards Bo Bina Hello :wave:

For those of you who don't know the 'connection', @DontRushMe and I "met" on the boards, and then in person when we moved to Michigan. Turns out she's just up the interstate from us! We've enjoyed many months of friendship and many spirited dinners out with our hubbys. Yay for the Dis! :cheer2:

I am so jealous that you'll be in Orlando by the end of the week!! I can't wait to see all your pics! Try to drop in and give us a live update every now and then, if you can :goodvibes. Safe travels and HAVE FUN!!!

Are you being sarcastic, young man? :rolleyes:

Just kidding, it was SO great to meet you guys. Your kids are such lovely young people....you should be super proud of those two. Your daughter was such a good sport, because I think of all of us, she found the Dismeet the toughest. Let them both know (once again) how much I appreciated their willingness to get together, even for just a short time. We will DEFINITELY take y'all up on the chance to share a meal the next time our dates cross over. It may be the only way I ever get to 4 Rivers!!! :crazy2:

Sounds like you are making some great summer memories already. Is it any cooler in Georgia and Tennessee than in FL?
It really wasn't much cooler in the parts of Georgia and Tennessee we visited, but we did some "cool" activities like white water rafting and wild cave exploration to beat the heat. We also went to both the Georgia and Tennessee Aquariums and a bunch of other touristy attractions. It was a great trip!

The kids really did enjoy the Dismeet. I've been showing them pictures from the rest of your visit. Now, I just need to plan our next trip to SeaWorld/Orlando...

Glad I didn't get too far behind! We just returned from Orlando & Ft. Lauderdale! Quick visit with our son Troy and then on the Ft. Lauderdale to help our other son with his new apartment!

I just love dolphins!! Working with them would be a dream!! I can't wait to hear about the rest of your evening! I know it was the highlight of our trip!::yes::

I'm finally all caught up! What a lovely experience on your bonus day. T is so sweet to arrange that experience for y'all! Looks like a nice relaxing day at Sea World. It's so luxurious when you have APs and take things at a slower pace.

Wow! That looks awesome and is so coincidental because in discussing doing a backstage tour last night, this was the one DD was interested in. I can't wait to show her the pictures later. Is what you did (other then it was the two of you) typical for that tour? I have to look into photokey for sure.

And in awesome news, we are booked for airfare. I confirmed the dates with DH last night and we could use points for all of it so we are all on the same reservation (he has preferential status) and we have officially added a day so we will certainly be at Sea World this year. whoop whoop.

I know you all are vets at touring this park but as someone who hasn't been to Sea World FL since the 90s, where would you start your touring? I know the show times will influence a lot of that. I am thinking if the new ride is open, we should hit that first and go from there? We are out on height on all the big coasters (and frankly Mako looks a little intense), so we don't have to worry about that. I will now be rereading all the Gina trip reports for Sea World details.

So glad you had such a great day!

Heidi

That said, when we next realized that not only had T made space for us for the Dolphin Encounter but that our session would be exclusively for us alone (generally speaking, couples or small families are combined with another small group and the interaction is a shared event), with her as our trainer…..well, the joy completely took over :banana:. For both of us.

Wow! Nice gift!

@chiamarie, SOMEDAY we will find a way to properly say thank you. Are you sure you don’t want to be our daughter in law? :scratchin ;)

:laughing:
Get in line!

as part of the tour, we received a short lesson in dolphin hand signals, so we too could help give instructions and watch the awesomeness unfold.

That's pretty cool!

One of the most incredible moments of the tour was getting to "dance" with the handsome Mr. Archer. While I can honestly say that our entire trip was nothing short of fantastic (Saturday’s migraine excepted), this moment was the cherry on the sundae :worship:. This is what sets SeaWorld apart from all the other theme parks in Orlando. And this is one of those times where I wished that I could just stop time and savor the moment longer.

:goodvibes So wonderful! Happy for you guys.

I think I'd rather wear a corset than those shoes ;).

:rolleyes:

That photo is FANTASTIC! :worship: And that penguin is so CUTE! :cutie:

How cold did you find the tour? Would you recommend a coat?
I think the tour was 45 minutes but a large portion of it took place in a backstage office area. We were there in September, shortly after Irma hit, so it was HOT and insanely humid outside - the cold was a welcome break. But the office area was a helpful transition - going from the heat outside to air conditioning helped prepare you for the freezing cold penguin habitat next. Doing the tour was a total spur-of-the-moment decision for us, I think we booked it about an hour in advance. But if you were planning ahead, I'd definitely bring something. You're not in with the penguins for that long so you don't need to pack a winter coat but having a jacket or even a hoodie or cardigan would definitely make the tour more comfortable.

❤️ I just love that we have become friends over the years. That's the only repayment I need! (Though, I will always accept free food! )

I'm just going with, I'm too old to be a daughter-in-law, but will gladly take slightly-younger-sister!

Last edited:

Well, it's about time you finally showed up! ;) My reports always lack a little "Je ne sais quoi?"when you're not chiming in.

I love Archer! He and Nigel are just the cutest dolphins

He was such a little charmer! A ball of energy and the sweetest personality.

It really wasn't much cooler in the parts of Georgia and Tennessee we visited, but we did some "cool" activities like white water rafting and wild cave exploration to beat the heat. We also went to both the Georgia and Tennessee Aquariums and a bunch of other touristy attractions. It was a great trip!

The kids really did enjoy the Dismeet. I've been showing them pictures from the rest of your visit. Now, I just need to plan our next trip to SeaWorld/Orlando...

I'm so glad y'all had such fun trip. Hard to believe that their summer vacation is half over already!! Winter seems unbelievably endless (well, for us northerners anyway) but the warm months just fly by.

Have you got a plan in mind for your next Orlando getaway? Will you squeeze in a weekend before they head back to class in August, or defer until the weather is a bit cooler?

Glad I didn't get too far behind! We just returned from Orlando & Ft. Lauderdale! Quick visit with our son Troy and then on the Ft. Lauderdale to help our other son with his new apartment!

I just love dolphins!! Working with them would be a dream!! I can't wait to hear about the rest of your evening! I know it was the highlight of our trip!::yes::

You must be accumulating some serious frequent flyer miles!! I hope you guys had a great visit with both of your boys, and that your oldest is enjoying his new digs!! Is he very far from the beach?

I had hoped to have the next entry up LONG before now, but life just got in the way again this week. I only wish we had taken more pictures......it seems awful to have so little photo documentation of such a fun evening.

I'm finally all caught up! What a lovely experience on your bonus day. T is so sweet to arrange that experience for y'all! Looks like a nice relaxing day at Sea World. It's so luxurious when you have APs and take things at a slower pace.

For sure ::yes::. I am so happy that we opted to upgrade to the AP's in those last few days before our trip. Worth every penny!

Why does that ALWAYS happen when I'm around?

Wait, what?o_O

oh, never mind... :joker:

I would so have loved to have that kind of magic happen. What do they call pixie dust at SeaWorld again? Fish flakes?

Oh heavens, it has to be something other than "Fish Flakes" :rotfl: :lmao: :rotfl2:. Of course, I don't really have any better suggestions of my own, either, though! Hmmm..let's think :scratchin . Sea Sprinkles? Dolphin Dust?

Wow! That looks awesome and is so coincidental because in discussing doing a backstage tour last night, this was the one DD was interested in. I can't wait to show her the pictures later. Is what you did (other then it was the two of you) typical for that tour? I have to look into photokey for sure.

And in awesome news, we are booked for airfare. I confirmed the dates with DH last night and we could use points for all of it so we are all on the same reservation (he has preferential status) and we have officially added a day so we will certainly be at Sea World this year. whoop whoop.

I know you all are vets at touring this park but as someone who hasn't been to Sea World FL since the 90s, where would you start your touring? I know the show times will influence a lot of that. I am thinking if the new ride is open, we should hit that first and go from there? We are out on height on all the big coasters (and frankly Mako looks a little intense), so we don't have to worry about that. I will now be rereading all the Gina trip reports for Sea World details.

So glad you had such a great day!

Heidi

Other than not being grouped in with other guests, the tour was exactly the same as the paid guests enjoyed. Photokey definitely becomes worth it if you can include tour photos in with your other park pis and ride photos ::yes::.

How many days will you have at SeaWorld? Definitely plan around the shows for your initial touring itinerary. Antarctica is good to do first thing, before the crowds hit (and before your first show). Ditto for the new water ride, if you're not worried about getting wet so early in the day. I really am an awful person to ask about a SeaWorld touring plan because we never, ever have a plan when we visit :laughing:.

Wow! Nice gift!

It was AMAZING!

:laughing:
Get in line!

Hey! We called first dibs :rotfl:.

❤️ I just love that we have become friends over the years. That's the only repayment I need! (Though, I will always accept free food! )

I'm just going with, I'm too old to be a daughter-in-law, but will gladly take slightly-younger-sister!

Me too, kiddo. We are so blessed to know you! We love being able to hang out with you while we're in town! Now.....to get you to Michigan so we can treat you to some of the finer highlights of the Mitten .... in the summer, of course :p. I like you too much to ask you to visit in the winter time :teeth:.

I hope you are up for a Kobes repeat when we're there in the fall. Unless you have another gem for us to try......you haven't led us wrong yet. Our treat, of course!!

Great pictures with the dolphins. So nice of T to give you separate time.

Which reminds me, I have to get working on our photo book again!! It has taken a back seat almost as badly as this trip report :rolleyes1.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter