Grand Floridian or Polynesian? Where should I stay?

Where should I stay?

• Grand Floridian

Votes: 28 51.9%
  • Polynesian

Votes: 26 48.1%

• Total voters

act1980

DIS Veteran
Hi all!
I'm currently booked to stay at the Poly next year but I can't get the Grand Floridian out of my head!
pgig.gif
It's just a resort that I have always dreamed of staying at. Saying that though, I think the theming of the Poly (for example the lobby and pool areas) just look more interesting. I prefer the outer buildings at GF though...

Just wanted to know if anyone had stayed there? What did you think? Do you think it's worth the money? I've heard the bathrooms haven't really been upgraded, is this true? I don't really like the bathrooms that much to be honest.

Also considering a DVC studio at GF, what are peoples thoughts on this? It surprises me that the studios are smaller but I prefer the finishes and bathrooms in the studios. Can anyone who has stayed in either advise?

Thanks!
biggrin.gif

Last edited:
If you have $$$ do GF but you might also consider how close your resort building will be to food etc. and to transportation especially if the monorail is down.

Also, you could do a split-stay with the GF being second.

A studio where? If VGF, that is a hard booking to get.

If you have always wanted to stay at GF and it won't get out of your head, I would say do it.

Yes VGF. I didn't realise it was so hard to get a booking. I checked my dates for October next year and they have availability for 14 nights. Wondering if I should just change my booking based on the fact that the studio is available

I love both. Its a tough choice but the poly has a special place in my heart. If the price is the same I say try the grand Floridian. however if it is more expensive id say the Polynesian is the place to be. One thing that makes my decisions easier about where to stay is remembering that the public spaces can always be visited whether I stay there or not. So base your stay on the room and the places you want to go around you. they are both next to each other so you can visit the other easily. I'm doing a split stay next month at these two locations so that tells you I still cant decide!

Since you have always wanted to stay at the GF maybe pick there. Like others have suggested you can always do a split stay so you can try both! I have enjoyed both resorts! I don't think you will be disappointed in whichever one you pick!

I love the Poly and voted for it but, if the GF is stuck in your head go for it. It is a beautiful resort and we enjoyed our stay, a lot. But for me I just like the theme of the Poly much more. And it's so much more convenient to get to Ohana by staying at the Poly :)

We did both last year - they were both great, nothing was really far away, transportation was good, service was good at both (and GF puts chocolate on your pillow). Of the 2 the Poly is our favourite (atmosphere-wise, we prefer it), but if you can do a split stay, I would do both.

I like the feel of poly better, and even more when it's Club level. GF is lovely... but a bit more "formal" to me. I prefer poly hands down.

We stayed at the GF last summer and absolutely loved it!! We stayed in Sago Cay, perfect spot IMO. We just booked a second stay there for this summer since we loved it so much! When we first visited the resort two years ago we thought it looked "too fancy" for us and we figured we wouldn't fit in but that was the exact opposite!!
Sitting in that lobby listening to the piano player and orchestra is one of the most relaxing activities ever

I have stayed at both. I love everything about the GF. It was my "I always wanted to stay there" place as well. Now that I have stayed there I continue to want to stay there every trip. I do split stays so I can experience other hotels but also get my GF fix. I rented DVC points through David's DVC rental in April and stayed at the Poly. I loved the Poly too, but not like I love the GF. All my favorite things about the Poly (restaurants, lobby, beach, shops) are just a quick walk from the GF. I recommend staying at both sometime in your life. But for the first time, and if the GF has always been your "it" resort, then I would change to GF. Good luck on your decision!! :)

Also, the DVC bathrooms at the Poly are A-M-A-zing! I have only every stayed Theme Park view and lake view at the GF. The bathrooms aren't horrible, but they are not Poly DVC level. I am staying VGF in 3 weeks. I can get back to you on those bathrooms. From everything I have read they look comparable to Poly DVC.

Last edited:
We've stayed at both and while I do love the GF, the Poly is my favorite of the two. The GF is a beautiful resort, but I love the Poly for the relaxing tropical atmosphere, the beach for watching the fireworks, and Captain Cooks (just to name a few). With that said, you really can't go wrong with either one as both resorts are great. I'd choose the one that the theme/decor appeals to you the most. Good luck.

We stayed at the Grand Floridian this past April and absolutely loved it! We were kind of hesitant about it, but it is now our favorite resort. Of course, that could change once we finally stay at the Poly next summer. Tough choice though! But, if GF has been a dream of yours, I'd say do it. It's a fabulous resort! :)

How do the DVC GF studios compare to a standard room? It surprises me that the studios are smaller but I prefer the finishes and bathrooms in the studios. Can anyone who has stayed in either advise?

Thanks!

How do the DVC GF studios compare to a standard room? It surprises me that the studios are smaller but I prefer the finishes and bathrooms in the studios. Can anyone who has stayed in either advise?

Thanks!

The standard rooms are bigger than a studio, 474 sq. ft. vs 374 sq. ft. A standard room will have 2 queens and a day bed or a king. A studio will have 1 queen bed, 1 queen sleeper sofa and a Murphy Bed.

I haven't stayed at either, but we had a poly studio booked for Xmas. And yesterday a GF studio for our dates popped up. After about a millisecond of thought I switched. 12/24-26 and someone cancelled GF this close (just before the time period where their points would have gone into Holding). So glad I saw it. So glad I got it!

I didn't even know I wanted to stay there until I saw it come up.

I'm not telling DH about the poly bathroom situation that he will miss out on. I did tell him about the tv in the bathroom mirror at GF lol.

Even better, we have Xmas eve late dinner at Narcoossee's and now we don't have to travel far for it!

I haven't stayed at either, but will hopefully be remedying that next December with a stay in a VGF studio. The GF is the "flagship" resort, so it just seems like something every WDW lover should do at least once in their lifetime.

Not knocking the Poly though. I dig the groovy "Brady Bunch goes to Hawaii" vibe it's got going on, and wouldn't mind trying it some day. I figure after I've done the Grand, I can branch out to other places (to date, Coronado is the only resort I've ever stayed at).

But I still remember that every time we went to Magic Kingdom this past spring, I would look over at the GF in awe. It's just the epitome of a Disney resort to me.

I want to stay at the Contemporary some day too. Doesn't get much more iconic.

I voted GF. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter