Grand Canyon/Hoover Dam

Soccer Princess

DIS Cast Member<br><font color=red>you would never
We will be visiting the Grand Canyon for the first time in January for 2 nights before the Vegas part of our trip. We are staying in one of the Bright Angel cabins which seem to be right on the rim basically! I know that the weather is going to play a major factor on what we can and can't do while we are there, but I'm hoping for the best.

Has anyone done the mule rides they offer? Are they deathly terrifying? Worth the money?

Any suggestions on certain trails or lookout points?

Dining suggestions in the area would be great too if anyone has experience with those.

We plan on hitting the Hoover Dam on the way back to Vegas. Have any of you ever done the tour there? They seem to offer two of them. My husband is an engineer, so I think he would like it but I didn't know if they were worth the time/money.

Thanks for any help!

We will be visiting the Grand Canyon for the first time in January for 2 nights before the Vegas part of our trip. We are staying in one of the Bright Angel cabins which seem to be right on the rim basically! I know that the weather is going to play a major factor on what we can and can't do while we are there, but I'm hoping for the best.

Has anyone done the mule rides they offer? Are they deathly terrifying? Worth the money?

Any suggestions on certain trails or lookout points?

Dining suggestions in the area would be great too if anyone has experience with those.

We plan on hitting the Hoover Dam on the way back to Vegas. Have any of you ever done the tour there? They seem to offer two of them. My husband is an engineer, so I think he would like it but I didn't know if they were worth the time/money.

Thanks for any help!

I can't really answer your questions but had something to add. I've driven across the Hoover Dam and canoed in the water below the dam but I've never taken the tour. I did rent a dvd about it though and it was really interesting. I believe it was the History Channel show Modern Marvels and they have an episode about the Hoover Dam. I know it doesn't sound like it would be a very interesting show but it was actually really good and I think it's a great way to get an introduction into the history of it and how it was built. I know for me it was much more interesting seeing the dam after watching the show and learning about it.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help but I do really recommend that movie. Hope you have a great trip!

I don't have direct experience either - but a friend of mine took the mule ride and while she enjoyed it, she said it wasn't easy - or very comfortable. Kind of a once-in-a-lifetime thing.

As for Hoover Dam - I've seen some documentary too and it was fascinating. I'm also married to an engineer and I know he'd like to do it someday. We drove by it on the way to the Canyon - it's HUGE.

One thing I DON'T recommend is "rails to the rim" - it was very disappointing. Barely got to view any of the canyon at all - very rushed.

We hiked at the GC a few years ago in December and are doing it again in a week. Weather permitting, we love the Kaibob trail. Not as busy and very beautiful. Due to little ones we only hiked it to the main lookout point (approx. 2 hours round trip). We also watched a sunrise from a different part of the canyon the other direction from the Lodge, can't remember the name off-hand. The Ranger programs were enjoyable too. Hope you have a great time!

One thing I would suggest is riding the buses to the different look outs. You can get out and look around for a while and then catch the next bus.

Bright Angel is right on the rim. I have walked a little way down on Bright Angel trail (Kaibab is also popular too). Now that we have kids who are 'active' we worry a little bit about them falling over the edge ;)

The time we stayed in the park we stayed at Maswik - which is off the rim, but near Bright Angel. I like that area of the park.

We did eat at the Arizona Room at the Bright Angel lodge. I recall it being yummy and filling, but nothing too fancy. The Maswik cafeteria was fine too, but a typical cafeteria.

Have a great time!

Hi. For what it's worth I've done the tour of Hoover. I did the one that takes you down to the base of the dam via elevator....about 50 floors down and you see all the internal workings etc. Highly recommended. Cost about 10-15$ back in 06 and wouldn't hesitate to recommend.
At the Canyon have only stayed at Maswik Lodge. Comfortable rooms a short stroll (5-10 mins) from the canyon, and a fraction of the price of the Bright Angel Lodge. Also a more than adequate dining restaurant at Maswik.
Enjoy. Everyone should do the Grand Canyon before they depart the mortal coil.

I went to the Grand Canyon in Jan. it is COLD. We saw a small amount of snow on the canyon, it was beautiful and not at all crowded. You can drive your car all over, since the shuttle buses are not running that time of year. My friend who I was with had no interest in the mule ride so we didn't look into that. I do remember the Bright Angel trail having ice on it so I dont know how much hiking you will be able to do.

We just did this trip last year with DS 13 and DS 17. A memorable trip!

We stayed at the Thunderbird Lodge, near your hotel. And yes, it is on the rim. It's amazing to see moose out there grazing on the lawn, and walking on the path at night along the rim - take a flashlight. If you can, get dinner reservations at El Tovar, or just stop in to take in the splendor of this great lodge.

We also did the mule ride into the Canyon. We were a bit sore and smelly afterward, but it was a great trip (6 hours total). Went in late March so it was perfect weather. Need hats, long sleeve shirts, pants and sturdy shoes and can't weigh over 200 pounds with clothes on (yes, they do weigh you!). It's not cheap but it was worth every penny. :thumbsup2 However, in January, it may be a bit cold.

If you have a car, you can also drive around to many lookout points around the canyon. It's great because you can get out, walk around a bit, get a good view and get back into the warm car! Use this to help you plan your trip:

http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/index.htm

Have a great time! This was the first time I saw the Canyon and I actually cried!

I currently live at the Grand Canyon, so if you have any questions feel free to PM me.

When will you be visiting? We have had a lot of snow this December, so depending on when you are coming expect the possibility of snow and some road closures. We currently have about a 2 1/2 ft of snow in our backyard.

The most popular trail is the Bright Angel. This is also the trail the mules rides take. It has a rest houses along the way and offers a little more shade that the South Kaibab. The South Kaibab has little shade and is very step in some areas. Most people go down this trail about 1 mile to Ohh-Ahh point and then turn around. This is a great veiw and named because when people get there that say Ohh-ahh.

Definitely ride the shuttles to get around. Parking can be crazy at times, so if you get a good spot, stay there.

I also recommend making a trip to Desert View. There is a watchtower that was designed by Mary Colter that gives great views. Points I would not miss is Yavapi Observation PT, The Abyss, Hermit's Rest, Mather point and Yaki point. The South Rim trail is a prtty popular walking trail that gives great views.

The ranger programs are really great also.

I have never done the mules rides, but have heard they are fun but tough. No one in the history of the park has ever died on a mule rides and the safety record is really great. I would check the availablility soon if you are interested. The mule trains are known to fill up in advance. So that can be hit or miss sometimes. There is also a weight limit.

Places to eat: Maswick is cafateria food and gives a lot of selections, I like the Bright Angel for sit down (not that expensive), the El Tovar is a great expirence, but but pricey. They make great hot chocolate there. There is a pretty decent little deli in the General Store that I eat at mostly when I grab something quick for lunch. I have not eaten at the Arizona Rm yet, but have heard great things. There are a few places in Tusyan outside the park. We Cook Pizza and Pasta is hands down the locals favorite place to eat.

Hope this helps a little.

I had my honeymoon at the Grand Canyon and stayed in the Bright Angel Cabins. They are very quaint, but you can't beat the location and the views! Try to get out on the rim before all the tour busses start showing up. It is an awesome experience. Oh, and don't forget the sunsets! They are incredible!!!

If you get a chance, try to eat at the El Tovar dining room, even for breakfast. The view is fantastic and the El Tovar is historic!

A few years ago there was a thread on here about how terrifying the mule rides are. It was pretty hilarious the way the poster explained it and I remember this so well that I probably would never do a mule ride because of that thread!:rotfl2:

DH and I did the Hoover Dam tour about 10 years ago. It is a true engineering marvel, your DH will love it! The tour gave a lot of interesting info, history, etc. I would also note that it is a good half-hour + drive from Vegas, further than I expected, but not horribly far. Have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter