Graduating college in less than 4 years

Those are 2 big things but there is obviously much more to gain during university but you know that.

You didn't answer my question. Would you have them take loans or cause financial hardship for a family in order to gain those things (whatever you want to include in that list)?

I technically didn't need one trimester(my school did fall, winter, and spring terms plus a summer one with less offerings) and could have graduated early. Normally the school only offered senior project in winter and spring. I was in a planned 5 year program and wouldn't have the prereqs to take senior project in year 4 so I assumed I would need to do it at the end of year 5. I didn't have anything I needed to take that fall though so planned to do an extra summer/fall internship.

Well that year they decided they would offer a summer/fall senior project. So I could have done that and graduated early, however it would have massively restricted what electives I could have choosen for the few courses I had left and I had planned to be married that fall. So I just did the internship and waited.

However in this case the intership wasn't paid to the school so although yeah I got a lower salary for that time it wasnt like I spent a whole extra semester of tuition.

My oldest son was HSed and did dual enrollment at the CC for 15 credits. We graduated him in December of 2016 because he couldn't take the classes he wanted as a dual enrollment student. He is now full time at the CC.

Middle son is a Jr. in high school and not taking any APs, he is in some honor's classes, but isn't the AP sort of kid. He is happy to be in his clubs and activities, and has a job. We anticipate 4 years in college, possibly 5, depending on his major.

They are boys and although they are great kids, they need more time to mature.

We are not in a race.

However, there are limited funds and we are encouraging them to live at home for undergrad and attend a state school, and save their $$ for grad school.

DD went into college with 26 credits. She could have graduated early but chose to add on minors in Marketing and Spanish which are both helping her post graduation. She was able to graduate in 4 years and take a lighter load her final semester with a couple of fluff classes (one being kayaking).

I don't know anyone who has done it.

My son has to add an extra semester at college because he didn't pass 2 classes required for his major the first time. He has since passed one and is currently enrolled again in the other and looks like he'll pass it (thank goodness) but it's put him behind. So for him it'll be 4 1/2 years of college which isn't unusual around here. The AP classes he took in High School weren't accepted by his college.

We'll have to disagree on that. I think it would be crazy to go out on a limb financially for the reasons you stated. I'd even say it would be irresponsible to do so.

It's not a limb. The student will just be starting out and have plenty of time to pay that additional money back. An extra 30k isn't going to kill a 22 year old.

It's not a limb. The student will just be starting out and have plenty of time to pay that additional money back. An extra 30k isn't going to kill a 22 year old.
I guess when you have kids you can advise them to take the extra 30K in loans. Not only would I not advise it but I wouldn't cosign for it. And that's the only way they'd be getting a loan in that amount for a single year of school.

Well I hope as a parent you would offer to pay that 30K for them. I mean who wouldn't do what they could to ensure their child makes lifetime memories and lasting friendships in that last year of college that you feel they need.

I just cannot imagine encouraging anybody, let alone my child, to take on that kind of debt for memories and lasting friendships :crazy2:. That just means that for the next 10 years he'll have to trim his budget by $333 a month to pay for it.

I just cannot imagine encouraging anybody, let alone my child, to take on that kind of debt for memories and lasting friendships :crazy2:. That just means that for the next 10 years he'll have to trim his budget by $333 a month to pay for it.

Different priorities. Money has never been my focus.

Well I hope as a parent you would offer to pay that 30K for them. I mean who wouldn't do what they could to ensure their child makes lifetime memories and lasting friendships in that last year of college that you feel they need.

I actually paid my own way through school. Sorry.

I graduated in 3. A semester of college classes in high school, 20+ credit hours per semester, including summer and bam, I'm done in time to get married because my parents said they wouldn't pay for the wedding unless I finished school first. ;)
(history degree)

Because of AP credits from high school, I had my AA after my first year in college. I graduated in 3 years instead of 4. It was nice!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter