Got Covid during vacation

AfricanLodger

Earning My Ears
Covid hit us on the 5th day of our 12 day trip. We did not have it when we arrived. Does Disney offer any type of refunds or anything since we can't use a week of park tickets or our hotel (we're planning on driving back)?

Covid hit us on the 5th day of our 12 day trip. We did not have it when we arrived. Does Disney offer any type of refunds or anything since we can't use a week of park tickets or our hotel (we're planning on driving back)?
Sorry to hear that you are sick.
No, Disney is not offering anything like that. Travelers right now need to assume they will catch covid (or something else). The only thing in this case that could have helped you was "cancel for any reason" insurance that covers trip interruption, but those are hard to find and not offered by Disney.

I was shocked that we didn't get sick from our recent cruise. Still totally expecting to come home sick from Disney.

Hope you all feel better fast!

We're all feeling fine other than our toddler who has some symptoms but ok fine the most part. Just for the safety of others we obviously can't continue our trip.
Unfortunately we are in the point of the pandemic where incentivizing people to stay in their rooms and not just lie and keep going to the parks is no longer a thing, which is why travel is a dice roll now. As far as I know, cruising is the only place where Disney will offer any type of refund.

Sorry you all got sick but as others have said nope. There is a big banner on the web site about the risk of Covid, which says "By visiting Walt Disney World Resort you voluntarily assume all risks related to exposure to COVID-19." Right or wrong, that gives them the out. I'm assuming you have tested which is how you know you have it. Some of the current variants don't seem to be lasting as long so you might could maybe test every day.

It is worth a try! Go to your hotel front desk and let them know you need to leave due to positive covid tests! They DO NOT want infected guests to stay there, so they may very well refund your unused hotel nights and park tickets.

We had to bail out on a 3 night stay at Grand Californian after one night and even though it was 7pm when we talked to the front desk, they told us if we can quickly pack up and leave within the hour, they would refund that night and the following night, which they did instantly. That is allowing us to try again later this month. They didn't have to give us anything, but they were VERY sympathetic and helpful. It's worth a try!

It is worth a try! Go to your hotel front desk and let them know you need to leave due to positive covid tests! They DO NOT want infected guests to stay there, so they may very well refund your unused hotel nights and park tickets.

We had to bail out on a 3 night stay at Grand Californian after one night and even though it was 7pm when we talked to the front desk, they told us if we can quickly pack up and leave within the hour, they would refund that night and the following night, which they did instantly. That is allowing us to try again later this month. They didn't have to give us anything, but they were VERY sympathetic and helpful. It's worth a try!
Sadly we're using my DVC points so that could be more completed. *sigh* it is what is

I would call and ask - never hurts. You might be out of luck. I wouldn't go to the front desk as another poster suggested. If I was the employee I might be less likely to help out someone who is standing in my face telling me they have Covid.

I hope you feel better soon and have safe travels home! That really stinks to get sick on vacation.

I would call and ask - never hurts. You might be out of luck. I wouldn't go to the front desk as another poster suggested. If I was the employee I might be less likely to help out someone who is standing in my face telling me they have Covid.

I hope you feel better soon and have safe travels home! That really stinks to get sick on vacation.

In our situation, I was the only one with symptoms and I tested positive (very faint line) and I immediately put on a mask and began packing, and my husband also went masked to the desk to talk to them. He was clear that it was ME that tested positive but that we felt it was best for us all to leave because they had all been exposed as well. He still kept his distance and they had no issue speaking to him. The cast member was also masked as well as behind plexiglass. They are used to these situations.

The front desk button isn't actually the front desk either. It's a call center.

*FWIW, my family never ended up catching it, but I felt awful by the next morning and was SO glad we live close by and could get home quickly.

We got home on the 16th and I tested positive the next day, Sunday. So yup, flew home probably contagious, sat in middle seat on flight too. My son seems to be just starting with Covid symptoms now, on the 19th.

I knew it was a risk. I have been quite ill, I am hoping he fares better as he is a special needs adult, non verbal. We were lucky, it was a short 4 day trip, unusual for us. Had it been the usual 6/7 nights we would have been stuck there in FL.

Good luck and I hope you can at least extend the park passes for a future trip.

We got home on the 16th and I tested positive the next day, Sunday. So yup, flew home probably contagious, sat in middle seat on flight too. My son seems to be just starting with Covid symptoms now, on the 19th.

I knew it was a risk. I have been quite ill, I am hoping he fares better as he is a special needs adult, non verbal. We were lucky, it was a short 4 day trip, unusual for us. Had it been the usual 6/7 nights we would have been stuck there in FL.

Good luck and I hope you can at least extend the park passes for a future trip.
Hope you feel better soon. And that your son does okay (from one special needs parent to another).

We're all feeling fine other than our toddler who has some symptoms but ok for the most part.
I'm so sorry this happened to you. I'm curious, since you weren't having symptoms, how did you know to test? Was it because your toddler wasn't feeling well? I hope he/she recovers quickly and the rest of you stay healthy.

Despite my posts saying that Disney doesn't have to do anything for you, I highly encourage you to call the front desk. Especially as a DVC member, you never know what will happen. I hope you get some pixie dust!

Their written policy is that you're on the hook for the tickets, but both the times I was in this sort of situation they helped me out with the tickets. It may take a two hour phone call, but if they don't fix at least the ticket portion of this for you I would be very surprised.

We were very lucky that my grandson symptoms appeared Friday night, as we left Saturday. My granddaughter didn't get sick until Sunday night and I got sick Tuesday. We were trying so hard to stay safe. I think they should not pack you like sardines and make you wait to ride a ride. We definitely got it there.

They have been having infected guest move to the cabins at Ft Wilderness to keep them from interacting with others or asking them to leave Disney property

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter