GoPro... or NoGo? That Is The Question!

JazzyJ622

Earning My Ears
We know about the ban on selfie sticks... but what's the scoop on GoPro's and how to effectively use them in the park?

Do you use a chest mount? Wrist strap mount? Do you film yourself or the rides?
Are GoPro's even allowed - and what's the best method or accessories to use?

GoPros are allowed, and Chest mounts are a pretty great way to go.

Non-extending hand grips (the "grenade" style grips around 6" or less in length) are OK. The selfie stick ban does not include those.
I'm pretty certain this also means the 6" floating bobber hand grips are OK, as they also don't extend and are basically thicker grenade grips.

My husband has worn one with the head strap while on coasters several times. I always tell him to keep one hand on it though!

If you are interested in a GoPro for your vacation, I recommend buying it early. Practice at home (filming and editing) so that when you get to Disney, you are in the moment and not fumbling with your new technology. It's not hard to use, but can become natural after some practice.

Take LOTS of footage. You never know when something magical will happen or you'll capture an awesome moment, and the more clips you take the better chance you have of quality clips when putting the final product together. For our 6 night trip this year I had about 300 clips. They weren't all used-- my over four hours of footage made for a pretty awesome 30 min video of our memories that we treasure.

If you have kids, and they will go for it, the child chest mount gives a fun perspective from their point of view.

Otherwise, you can do everything needed with a good short hand grip (get a wrist strap if the one you buy doesn't come with). As others have said, the longer poles and jaws/clip mount or anything to attach to a ride is no longer allowed.

Watch other people's videos on YouTube and Vimeo-- there are many, and it shows you different perspectives and others' experience. I got ideas of shots or fun things to film for our trip by watching what other people had done and adding my own twist. I also learned different styles and what I wanted my video to be (or NOT to be).

It's a great, fun way to capture memories. My son asks to watch our video often, and I think it helps us all remember the magical trip details in addition to photos.

and PS: when practicing, its good to learn how to turn off the red blinking light and sound as a courtesy to your fellow guests. :)

Having used both a HD camcorder, and a GoPro for various things on vacation, I MUCH, MUCH prefer a small camcorder for a number of reasons. They each have strong advantages for certain uses, but the camcorder wins by a long shot for most things I want to take video of on vacation.

A camcorder is much easier to use. Flip it open, hit record. When done, just flip it closed and tuck it away. You can easily see exactly what you are recording. Plus, you typically have tons of optical zoom, ready when needed. The audio is typically much clearer than the GoPro. The GoPro tends to get lots of scuffing noise from being jostled around so much. Not so with a camcorder.

The smaller HD camcorders from Sony, JVC, and Canon easy fit in my side pocket of my cargo shorts. Easy to carry, and ready whenever I need it.

GoPro's are great for strapping it to your head or chest for ride video when you truly want hands free, but that's about all I would use it for. It might be o.k. for wearing on the head for fireworks also. With a GoPro, you won't be sure of what you are recording. Always a guessing game. Same with a chest mount. You really don't get to see what you're recording, so if you miss something, well, there's no knowing.

Dan

Having used both a HD camcorder, and a GoPro for various things on vacation, I MUCH, MUCH prefer a small camcorder for a number of reasons. They each have strong advantages for certain uses, but the camcorder wins by a long shot for most things I want to take video of on vacation.

A camcorder is much easier to use. Flip it open, hit record. When done, just flip it closed and tuck it away. You can easily see exactly what you are recording. Plus, you typically have tons of optical zoom, ready when needed. The audio is typically much clearer than the GoPro. The GoPro tends to get lots of scuffing noise from being jostled around so much. Not so with a camcorder.

The smaller HD camcorders from Sony, JVC, and Canon easy fit in my side pocket of my cargo shorts. Easy to carry, and ready whenever I need it.

GoPro's are great for strapping it to your head or chest for ride video when you truly want hands free, but that's about all I would use it for. It might be o.k. for wearing on the head for fireworks also, but you won't be sure of what you are recording. Always a guessing game. Same with a chest mount. You really don't get to see what you're recording, so if you miss something, well, there's no knowing.

Dan

I would add that the LCD back (included in new GoPro, extra accessory for the Hero3+) made a huge difference in functionality here. You can see what you're recording, which is great for positioning your shot or capturing character visits, etc all in frame. Agree that when mounting the GoPro (i.e. head or chest) that's the original design and not seeing the shot is part of that experience because of what you're filming. No zoom on the GoPro.

OP-- there are lots of good tech articles out there comparing small cameras on the market, check them all out and see what works for you as well as everyone's advice here! None of it is cheap so you need to get the right one for your long-term needs. I debated a long time between a small camcorder and GoPro. I don't jump off cliffs or skateboard, why would I need one? :)

We just got a Go Pro for our trip to Bora Bora and it was the best decision EVER. The small size is so convenient! We go the 4 silver so it has the touchscreen, which is EASY. We will definitely be bringing it to Disney! We got the head mount to wear while we went ATVing and Snorkeling, but honestly, I just feel stupid with it on and it's not super comfortable lol. We also got this mount, which doesn't extend so it will be allowed and we used it most of the time. It has a hand strip and is waterproof, so we can bring it to the water parks too. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O12F210

I've had a GoPro - and with the blackout case. Just didn't know which mounts people used for Disney - The head mount seems a little crazy; I'm surprised they let you on rides with that! :)
Sounds like a chest or wrist mount probably works best - thanks for all of your tips!

If you are interested in a GoPro for your vacation, I recommend buying it early. Practice at home (filming and editing) so that when you get to Disney, you are in the moment and not fumbling with your new technology. It's not hard to use, but can become natural after some practice.

This is good advice. I bought one a few months ago to take on our December trip this year. I'm excited.

I have a variety of mounts that I've bought to test out. I'm going take my PolarPro backpack shoulder strap mount, my Joby action clamp mount, and my GoPole grenade grip with us.

Last edited:
We plan on using our Go Pro with the chest strap while on rides or at the pool and our regular camera for things in between. IMO I would go with the chest strap (probably more comfortable and secure). We have the wrist remote and its synced to the phone app so we can view whats being recorded.

I would add that the LCD back (included in new GoPro, extra accessory for the Hero3+) made a huge difference in functionality here. You can see what you're recording, which is great for positioning your shot or capturing character visits, etc all in frame. Agree that when mounting the GoPro (i.e. head or chest) that's the original design and not seeing the shot is part of that experience because of what you're filming. No zoom on the GoPro.

OP-- there are lots of good tech articles out there comparing small cameras on the market, check them all out and see what works for you as well as everyone's advice here! None of it is cheap so you need to get the right one for your long-term needs. I debated a long time between a small camcorder and GoPro. I don't jump off cliffs or skateboard, why would I need one? :)

Agree, the (tiny) LCD makes it easier. I find that in almost all cases I feel like I'm trying to force the GoPro to do what I need it to do, whereas the camcorder just works as needed. Not slamming the GoPros. They have a great use, but my personal opinion is that they are not the optimal tool for how most people want to take typical vacation video. They can get the job done, but can actually be a good deal more cumbersome to be honest. I do love the wide angle though.

Dan

We just got back yesterday, and we saw several people wearing the chest straps, that seemed to be the most popular way to go.

Please practice with your GoPro. The first time we used ours, the entire transaction at the ticket window was filmed. Funny!! Things we wanted to film. Nope. And that red light. OMG.
Did you get the point we aren't tech savy. After that first fiasco, I bought DH the book. GoPro for Dummies.

I have the head mount (it's not comfortable and I feel crazy wearing it). I also have the chest mount, but I haven't used that yet. I need to research the wrist mount to see if it will help me record DS and me during our trip to WDW.

We returned recently from our trip and used our new GoPro. I would echo the others who have said to practice before you go. The GoPro is great for ride videos and all action videos in and out of the water, but not great for pictures or filming a show.

We either used the grenade grip or simply held it in our hand on rides. Both worked fine.

We just got back and used ours a lot! We did have the floating bobber hand grip and used that for a lot and nobody said anything. Also my girls wore the GoPro on their head mount for a lot of the rides and we have fantastic videos!!! There were quite a few people with the chest mounts as well.
We have great videos from Typhoon Lagoon and our pool as well..We all had a great time using it, and i like that i can fit it in my pocket lol

We just got a Go Pro for our trip to Bora Bora and it was the best decision EVER. The small size is so convenient! We go the 4 silver so it has the touchscreen, which is EASY. We will definitely be bringing it to Disney! We got the head mount to wear while we went ATVing and Snorkeling, but honestly, I just feel stupid with it on and it's not super comfortable lol. We also got this mount, which doesn't extend so it will be allowed and we used it most of the time. It has a hand strip and is waterproof, so we can bring it to the water parks too. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O12F210

Going to Bora Bora in April 2016 and am strongly considering getting a Go Pro. Did you visit the lagoon with the sharks? Get any good shorts there with the Go Pro?

Take LOTS of footage. You never know when something magical will happen or you'll capture an awesome moment, and the more clips you take the better chance you have of quality clips when putting the final product together. For our 6 night trip this year I had about 300 clips. They weren't all used-- my over four hours of footage made for a pretty awesome 30 min video of our memories that we treasure.

If you have kids, and they will go for it, the child chest mount gives a fun perspective from their point of view.

Otherwise, you can do everything needed with a good short hand grip (get a wrist strap if the one you buy doesn't come with). As others have said, the longer poles and jaws/clip mount or anything to attach to a ride is no longer allowed.

Watch other people's videos on YouTube and Vimeo-- there are many, and it shows you different perspectives and others' experience. I got ideas of shots or fun things to film for our trip by watching what other people had done and adding my own twist. I also learned different styles and what I wanted my video to be (or NOT to be).

It's a great, fun way to capture memories. My son asks to watch our video often, and I think it helps us all remember the magical trip details in addition to photos.
What editing software do you use? I always just end up with a bunch of clips but never compile them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter