Good Pubs to Visit While in London?

POTCfan

DIS Veteran
I am headed to London next week and will be meeting an old college friend for a few days before the rest of the family arrives. I am really looking forward to seeing some historic pubs. I keep looking for top 10 lists of historic pubs and keep getting different results. Honestly, a lot of them look great. I was just wondering if you had any favorites that shouldn't be missed (and hopefully I can narrow down my list). Thanks!

ok, well first it might be a good idea to say what part of London you are going to. Asking us to recommend a pub in London is like asking us to recommend a restaurant in LA. London is a huge city, and each area or part has its own character and history.

There are chain pubs such as O'Neils, Slug and Lettuce and Wetherspoons. There are pubs run by brewery's, there are pubs run by families , there are pubs run by companies. There are pubs in bad areas, pub in good areas.

We are staying in the West End, but are not adverse to traveling anywhere (assuming we can get there on public transportation) for a good pub. I am from Portland Oregon, where there there is a huge number of brew pubs. While this is of interest (I've been looking at visiting the BrewDog in Soho), I am more interested in historical or traditional pubs - as the BrewDog does not appear to be much different than where I can go here. Some that look like definite "must go"s are Blackfriars, Lamb and Flag, and Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese. My college friend and I like good beer, but atmosphere is much more important than beer selection. I fear that the ones we are picking are too touristy, but I guess that is OK provided the other tourists are friendly.

Hi, POTCfan

I can agree with Ye Olde Chesire Cheese, purley because somebody has just asked a similar question on facebook and that one has been highly reccomended. If I see anything else I shall come back to you.:chat:

Hi, POTCfan

I can agree with Ye Olde Chesire Cheese, purley because somebody has just asked a similar question on facebook and that one has been highly reccomended. If I see anything else I shall come back to you.:chat:
Thanks Florida Sun!

The George Inn in Southwark (a real historical site that's still a good functioning pub)
The Grenadier in Belgravia (hidden away on a side-street, the building was once an officer's mess hall and is supposedly haunted)
The Euston Tap (wide selection of draft beers and cask ales served in a converted Victorian gatehouse near Euston station; plus a sister pub serving only cider across the road in the other gatehouse)

Have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter