Going to Aulani -- Let's list places to eat

Hi there, does anyone know if you can or need to book the Makahiki for lunch or do you just go?

I seem to recall reading that once the new CS cafe opened (official opening is 10/19), Makahiki would no longer serve lunch. Can anyone confirm that?

ETA: Lunch is no longer an option on the website, so it must be true.

Anybody think I should start a Part 2 discussion, linking this in the first thread or just keep it going here? :)

Why would you start a new thread? This one is no where near maxing out the page length that it is allowed to grow to. I would just leave it here so it's easy to find.:thumbsup2

I just came across this website, it shows restaurants in the Honolulu area that have been featured on some sort of food/dining TV show

http://www.tvfoodmaps.com/s3/HI/Honolulu

This is great!! Thanks!

We had originally looked at doing the "Hole in the Wall" food tour that is offered by a company in Honolulu. But at $100 per person x4 people in our family we started thinking we could put one together ourselves and spend the money on something else!

So my DH is putting together a "Hole in the Wall Food Tour" of his own complete with flashcards for each location with interesting facts and such.... this will be super helpful.

ive had a bit of a search of the thread, but I cant find too much about other places local (enough) to Aulani for breakfast??

also, what is everyones opinions about aulani restaurant reservations? needed?

we probably should if we want to have nice meals throughout our honeymoon? but at the same time don't want to book too much as I dont want to stress the soon-to-be DH out about needing to be places at particular times.

would making reservations in the morning for the evening suffice?

would making reservations in the morning for the evening suffice?

That depends on whether you're going in high or low season, and if you're talking about the weekend or a weeknight.

I suggest you make at least one 'Ama 'Ama reservation for both breakfast and dinner--that doesn't constrain you too much, but guarantees you'll get to experience those wonderful meals at least once.

We are at Aulani this weekend. My family *love* and enjoyed Monkeypod Kitchen. :) We will definitely go again.

Ok I've read alot about everyone heading to Costco when they arrive to stock up.

We don't have a Costco close to where I live - trying to decide if its worth getting a membership
or just shopping at the Safeway / Target stores?

thoughts, ideas?

Ok I've read alot about everyone heading to Costco when they arrive to stock up.

We don't have a Costco close to where I live - trying to decide if its worth getting a membership
or just shopping at the Safeway / Target stores?

thoughts, ideas?

A basic membership will cost you $55 for 1 year - IMHO that is way too much if you will never use it again. Just do the Target / Safeway thing. At Costco you have to buy such large quantities it is a LOT for a week or two of vacation (unless of course you are the Partridge Family and need a bus to get around bcuz your family is that big). For example - dill pickles are in a GALLON jar. Mayo is in a 64 oz. (2 quarts) jar. Log Cabin pancake syrup is 64 oz. (and comes in a 2 pack so that would be 128 oz). Nutella is the larger 26.5 oz size (and is also in a 2-pack). Jiff peanut butter - 48 oz (3 Lbs) ALSO in a 2-pack - so that is 6 Lbs of peanut butter!! We use peanut butter almost daily and it still takes us forever to get thru 2 jars of that stuff!!

The only things I could see being of super value from Costco for vacation might be cereal or their prepared ready-to-bake meals (sandwich trays, ready-to-bake pizza, fettuccini alfredo etc). Or maybe their fresh fruit & veggies if you eat a lot of that. But like strawberries come in a 4 Lb container. Will you eat that many? Salad in a 3 Lb bag, etc, etc. Their quantities are HUGE.

Some of these things are great to pick up if you already have the membership card because their prices are super low. But not worth buying a new membership for a 1-time use. JM2C.

Ok I've read alot about everyone heading to Costco when they arrive to stock up. We don't have a Costco close to where I live - trying to decide if its worth getting a membership or just shopping at the Safeway / Target stores? thoughts, ideas?

We shopped at Safeway and got everything we needed:) target didn't have nearly the selection and we were cooking for all meals, etc. We did pop into target once just to restock for some breakfast goods.

Some prices were good and others (like dairy) were outrageous. We found the high prices to be standard all over the island though.

A basic membership will cost you $55 for 1 year - IMHO that is way too much if you will never use it again. Just do the Target / Safeway thing. At Costco you have to buy such large quantities it is a LOT for a week or two of vacation (unless of course you are the Partridge Family and need a bus to get around bcuz your family is that big). For example - dill pickles are in a GALLON jar. Mayo is in a 64 oz. (2 quarts) jar. Log Cabin pancake syrup is 64 oz. (and comes in a 2 pack so that would be 128 oz). Nutella is the larger 26.5 oz size (and is also in a 2-pack). Jiff peanut butter - 48 oz (3 Lbs) ALSO in a 2-pack - so that is 6 Lbs of peanut butter!! We use peanut butter almost daily and it still takes us forever to get thru 2 jars of that stuff!!

The only things I could see being of super value from Costco for vacation might be cereal or their prepared ready-to-bake meals (sandwich trays, ready-to-bake pizza, fettuccini alfredo etc). Or maybe their fresh fruit & veggies if you eat a lot of that. But like strawberries come in a 4 Lb container. Will you eat that many? Salad in a 3 Lb bag, etc, etc. Their quantities are HUGE.

Some of these things are great to pick up if you already have the membership card because their prices are super low. But not worth buying a new membership for a 1-time use. JM2C.
IMO Costco only makes sense if you have a large party. We did Safeway, Target and WM and we are Costco members. However, I believe you can shop at Costco not being a member with a day pass, you'll pay a little more, I think it's 5%. I do believe you can buy the go card and power pass through Costco and I believe you can buy those vouchers online. I also recall hearing you can shop at Costco without a membership if you have a Costco gift card. Just get someone to buy one for you.

Costco also has good deals on Hawaii souvenirs like macadamia nuts, at least the Big Island one did a couple of years ago. They had a special section with Hawaii things that our home Costco does not have. DH also got a really good quality, made in Hawaii, Hawaiian shirt that he still wears all the time. I am hoping to get a couple more for him in February. If you happen to be in Costco during lunchtime they have cheap food and drinks in the food court.
YES, you can have someone buy some Costco cash cards for you and use them to buy gas (usually significantly cheaper), liquor or anything in the store WITHOUT an upcharge or membership. Here is a link:

http://www.costco.com/Costco-Cash-Card.product.10024438.html

Any scoop on The new Ulu cafe at Aulani yet? Hours, menu, reviews?...

Thanks!

Here you go, taken two days ago, October 11, 2013 from Ulu Cafe at Aulani. :)

214AECAD-4FAD-4B38-A125-D5DF4CA5C2B0-2438-000001E6CDCA48D7_zpscae3155b.jpg

CF893085-8F74-485E-8EB4-2DC5D24242F0-2438-000001E73F4B7F00_zps9a870bcc.jpg

/\ The menu changes somewhat daily, new fish, specialty flatbreads, new hot item, etc....

3D87E23F-6C0D-46E2-B1C8-5AE6014B3DD1-2438-000001E6F1355B11_zpscd26105a.jpg

/\ Eating area if you wanted to stay there to eat.

D89DC6EB-169D-4083-A863-1685E8E3A550-2438-000001E71ED6A403_zps7ee95d3f.jpg

/\ Pre-made salads, sandwiches, wraps, etc....

968FF290-651F-4FB4-8F3C-CB3CBD12B2E7-2438-000001E75A353232_zpse731e0b5.jpg

/\ Baked goodies and yummies

8CF58822-5401-4733-A1BF-982F31D2AF57-2438-000001E770C6ABC1_zpsf40b127a.jpg

/\ More baked goodness

84769388-00B4-4D84-99FA-E7ED4697BD73-2438-000001E789C6F132_zps107bc43e.jpg

/\ Cool Hawaiian inspired art that was on the wall that I liked.

Hope this helps with the curiosity,
Dreams

Any scoop on The new Ulu cafe at Aulani yet? Hours, menu, reviews?...

Thanks!

Hello! We were there for a staycation on Friday, October 11, 2013.

Ulu Cafe opens at 6:00 AM for breakfast. We had french toast, bacon and a small slice of pineapple. My boys had the "keiki" breakfast platter: potato fries, bacon, scrambled eggs, a small slice of pineapple, and includes your choice of kid's milk, juice box or bottled water. It's a good alternative to the character breakfast buffet.

There is this thread: New Aulani Pictures.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3179908

There is photos of the new Ulu Cafe and pool area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter