• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Going the week of Christmas.., good idea?

cmrabet

Earning My Ears
My wife is now a high school teacher so her vacations are limited to peak season basically. We want to do something special this Christmas and we are considering taking the kids to Disney World, from Dec 24th to Dec 29th. We have been to Disney World a year ago in January when my wife was still teaching at a college and had more flexibility and we had a blast!! We want to repeat the experience again this year too.

I know Christmas has been historically the worst moment to go to Disney, but given that this year with the pandemic international visitors will not be able to come, we are thinking that the crowds might not be as bad as previous years. We have two kids, 5 and 8 years old, and we will be driving from Virginia. We are not sure if we are going to stay on property since from what I've seen all the perks that justified the expense are gone.

What do you think? Our other alternative is Universal Studios with an unlimited express pass for 5 days.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Although there will be less people there is also less being offered, no shows, character meet and greet, to swallow up large amounts. So it wil definitely still feel crowded. Now the frame of mind that you come with and the expectations are key.
If you know that there will be large crowds and that you'll have to make lines for everything BUT despite that you know you will still have fun and enjoy the Christmas atmosphere then i say come.
If those things are big negatives and you know you'll feel miserable then don't.
Universal is a great vacation destination as well and the Express pass comes super handy during high season

I am here now for thanksgiving week. Another typically very crowded week. We are here for 9 days so we are taking each park slower and have been ok with waiting 45-60 minutes for rides. It is still very magical to be here and I feel very safe as the CMs have been great with correcting those not wearing masks properly- both kids and adults.

I would go but go with the outlook that it will be busier than what you experienced last year. Watching the app and wait times has planned out our days. Most posted wait times have been a little inflated. So the 75 min wait was really 60 and the 45 was 30. Haunted Mansion yesterday was posted at 25 and we were on in 10. So there have been pleasant surprises.

I agree with the thought of saving some $ and staying off site. We have DVC so staying on site makes sense for us but any perks of extra magic hours are not a thing so save your money on the room and enjoy a nice dinner.

Dining might the only other negative to planning this late in the game. There are very limited TS reservations. At Yak and yeti we saw 3 families trying to walk up to get seated and they were told they need to make advanced reservations. Now many restaurants do have a walk up wait list but I’d imagine during a capacity park day it would fill up quick.

With little kids, I would just consider the long waits for rides. Even though it won't be the same Christmas crowd, there is no fastpass and you will have to pick and choose what rides are important for your family. I know my kids (similar ages) would not want to wait 45-60 minutes for any ride, especially as you cannot eat or drink while on line.

If you go in with a different mindset, it could be worth it. More resort/pool time? Breaking up the day, etc.

We are here now and it is still not even Thanksgiving weekend. The parks are very crowded and because the lines are all outside it adds to the congested feeling. The decorations are great. I think it really depends on your children’s tolerance for standing in line and experiencing limited attractions. There is really a line for everything. Including food etc. and even to get into a gift shop.

Thank you all for the feedback.

Unfortunately I've just found that MK is not available for park entry reservations for Dec 25th, including the resort guests category. I don't mind the lines, but I'm not sure about my kids, I don't think that 45 minute waits for 2 or 3 rides a day is something they are expecting for their vacation. I was hoping to enjoy more the Christmas ambient and the park, walk, discover new things, try new food, etc.. but if the lines are already long also for getting something to eat, I'm not sure that the drive from VA and spending that much money are worth it.

I think it's going to be a NO for now.., looking now Universal Studios and the express pass.

Unfortunately I've just found that MK is not available for park entry reservations for Dec 25th, including the resort guests category. I don't mind the lines, but I'm not sure about my kids, I don't think that 45 minute waits for 2 or 3 rides a day is something they are expecting for their vacation. I was hoping to enjoy more the Christmas ambient and the park, walk, discover new things, try new food, etc.. but if the lines are already long also for getting something to eat, I'm not sure that the drive from VA and spending that much money are worth it.

I think it's going to be a NO for now.., looking now Universal Studios and the express pass.

I think this is probably the right choice, unfortunately - we went back in September and my kids are a bit older and the lines were ROUGH for them (they're super spoiled by not having had to do that before.) Waiting 45 minutes once or twice a day is probably their max, but any more than that and they were 100% done and cranky. If they were younger, I'd think it'd be even worse. We swore we wouldn't go back until FP+ returns...whenever that is...IF ever that is. But we'll see if we make it that long. :)

I think you made the right decision. We were there a couple of weeks ago and it was mostly tolerable, but I can't imagine Christmas week. We drove home to VA a day early from our trip.

Just so you know, I would expect UO to close due to capacity over Christmas. UO doesn't require park reservations, but once it's full, they stop letting people in. Staying at a UO hotel will get you priority entry when/if they reopen the parks, but it does not guarantee you entry. But, on the flip side, UO hotels get in one hour early at one of the parks (or maybe both over Christmas) so if you are an early bird, you can get in before the general public and before the parks hit capacity.

[/QUOTE]
[/QUOTE]

We’re doing both Disney and Universal Studios this Thanksgiving week. After hitting up the Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studio the prior two days we went to Universal Studios yesterday. We roped dropped Universal Studios and as expected the crowds weren’t bad to start but by midday it was absolutely packed and much worse than what we experienced at the 2 Disney parks we have been to so far. We did the express pass which made getting on the rides easier but getting around the park and especially the Harry Potter areas was not enjoyable after 11am. It certainly felt like Universal isn’t nearly as concerned about enforcing social distancing as Disney is.

Also - the 1 day Universal “2-park” ticket for a peak day combined with the Universal Express Pass was significantly more expensive than our Disney tickets. Like Disney, if you buy multiple days it gets cheaper on a per day basis but after 1 full day split between 2 parks I was done with Universal.

Just so you know, I would expect UO to close due to capacity over Christmas. UO doesn't require park reservations, but once it's full, they stop letting people in. Staying at a UO hotel will get you priority entry when/if they reopen the parks, but it does not guarantee you entry. But, on the flip side, UO hotels get in one hour early at one of the parks (or maybe both over Christmas) so if you are an early bird, you can get in before the general public and before the parks hit capacity.

Thanks.

Yes, I'm considering staying at the Loews Portofino for the unlimited express pass plus the early access. I like more Cabana beach for the stuff available for the kids, but when you add express passes the cost is more expensive.

Last edited:
We’re doing both Disney and Universal Studios this Thanksgiving week. After hitting up the Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studio the prior two days we went to Universal Studios yesterday. We roped dropped Universal Studios and as expected the crowds weren’t bad to start but by midday it was absolutely packed and much worse than what we experienced at the 2 Disney parks we have been to so far. We did the express pass which made getting on the rides easier but getting around the park and especially the Harry Potter areas was not enjoyable after 11am. It certainly felt like Universal isn’t nearly as concerned about enforcing social distancing as Disney is.

Also - the 1 day Universal “2-park” ticket for a peak day combined with the Universal Express Pass was significantly more expensive than our Disney tickets. Like Disney, if you buy multiple days it gets cheaper on a per day basis but after 1 full day split between 2 parks I was done with Universal.

So my wife is not very convinced about the idea of going to Universal, as an alternative to 3 days in MK, I'm considering spending that time at Universal, but she says that's too many days there.. from your comment it sounds like she is not the only one with that mindset. I thought 3 days were the minimum to enjoy the parks for the first time.. she says for our kids 8 & 5 it's going to be too much..

We *just* booked 12/29-1/3. We had a good amount of expiring DVC points and a significant airline credit to use. Any other year, you would never catch me near WDW during that timeframe - so given the situation with max capacity at 35%, this is likely the only year I would consider.

Although there will be less people there is also less being offered, no shows, character meet and greet, to swallow up large amounts. So it wil definitely still feel crowded. Now the frame of mind that you come with and the expectations are key.
If you know that there will be large crowds and that you'll have to make lines for everything BUT despite that you know you will still have fun and enjoy the Christmas atmosphere then i say come.
If those things are big negatives and you know you'll feel miserable then don't.
Universal is a great vacation destination as well and the Express pass comes super handy during high season
Pretty sure Hollywood studies is already 100% booked for December if your wanting to go there it could be a deal breaker for you

Pretty sure Hollywood studies is already 100% booked for December if your wanting to go there it could be a deal breaker for you
I just looked at the availability calendar on Disney World's website, and it shows that HS is booked the first week of December, but open every other day of the month (all parks open).

Wonder if it is a glitch, or if Disney just upped the capacity for parts of December?

They must have just opened more or many have cancelled. HS was full everyday of Christmas week, but not now.

So my wife is not very convinced about the idea of going to Universal, as an alternative to 3 days in MK, I'm considering spending that time at Universal, but she says that's too many days there.. from your comment it sounds like she is not the only one with that mindset. I thought 3 days were the minimum to enjoy the parks for the first time.. she says for our kids 8 & 5 it's going to be too much..
We have visited Universal twice now and your wife may be on to something here considering the age of your kids. Universal has many more thrill rides that have height requirements so your 5 year old may not be able or willing to ride many of the big coasters or thrill rides there. The first time we went to Universal we spent 3 days there and honestly we really only needed 2 days to do everything we wanted to do. And that was with us riding most of the thrill rides.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter