Go to place for booking villa or condo off property?

Slyman21

Earning My Ears
I'm starting to plan my birthday trip for June and I just wanted to price an off property villa. I've been on a few google searches (worded differently each time) and I get directed to Vrbo, Airbnb, Home and Away a majority of the time or I get sent to a Kayak type site that leads me to one of those. I was just wondering for those that stay off property often or have in the past, what is your go to vacation rental area/booking website? We plan on having a car, so distance to the parks isn't an issue, but I wanna see what kind of bang for our buck we're really getting by staying in a rental vs. a Residence Inn type of hotel.

Thanks so much!

It depends on where you want to go.

If you want to go to Wyndham Bonnet Crreek, they have their own dedicated site to book their units. Vacation Upgrades, I think it what they are called.

Windsor Hills has its own website too.

Others use TUG (timeshare users group).

Some of the rentals use specific websites.

So I need to research individual rental properties and then search from there. Okay I just didn't know if there was centralized site that didn't lead me to Airbnb, Vrbo, or H&A. Okay sounds good I'll start looking that up and driving myself nuts with all the options.

I just didn't know if there was centralized site that didn't lead me to Airbnb, Vrbo, or H&A
That's sort of what VRBO is (as are the others). I've not rented a privately-owned homes/condos in years, but at the time VRBO was probably the most comprehensive set of listings.

driving myself nuts with all the options.
The trick to avoiding this is to remember you don't need the very best place. You just need a very good place. Without this, you always worry that a better house is just around the corner.

VRBO or Airbnb for a villa or townhouse, but I would narrow it down to Windsor Hills. You might save a little going through the Windsor Hills owner's site, but they often are also on VRBO or Airbnb. At least there is some protection using those sites.

We are staying at Sabal Palms. We rented the timeshare which is def something I would suggest looking into but tread super carefully through vrbo our first one was a scam so google the person or company renting and look at the reviews. If it sounds to good to be true it probably is. Their is also a great channel called destination timeshare on YouTube he does some great videos on different Orlando timeshares. Good luck!

It depends on where you want to go.

If you want to go to Wyndham Bonnet Crreek, they have their own dedicated site to book their units. Vacation Upgrades, I think it what they are called.

Windsor Hills has its own website too.

Others use TUG (timeshare users group).

Some of the rentals use specific websites.

I can’t speak to the other locations, but as far as Wyndham Bonnet Creek goes…

Vacation Upgrades is not the official site for the hotel. They are a third party company that will rent you points and make your reservation. I can personally recommend them… we’ve used them many times. Another third party company for WBC is Vacation Strategy. I’ve used them as well and they are very reliable. But I’ve found over the years that Vacation Upgrades has consistently lower prices.

Good luck!

If doing a full week Fri to Fri, Sat to Sat, or Sun to Sun, my favorite is to book one of the great offsite timeshare condos (more of a resort feel than the homes with the great amenities). For these I usually rent from timeshare owners on the site TUG2.net classified ads section or Redweek.com (There you can look as a guest, but need to pay a $15 fee to book something). The places I have rented the most often are Sheraton Vistana Resort and Cypress Pointe (You can get a three bedroom here). I really like both these properties and typically have found some good deals from owners renting these.

I'm starting to plan my birthday trip for June and I just wanted to price an off property villa. I've been on a few google searches (worded differently each time) and I get directed to Vrbo, Airbnb, Home and Away a majority of the time or I get sent to a Kayak type site that leads me to one of those. I was just wondering for those that stay off property often or have in the past, what is your go to vacation rental area/booking website? We plan on having a car, so distance to the parks isn't an issue, but I wanna see what kind of bang for our buck we're really getting by staying in a rental vs. a Residence Inn type of hotel.

Thanks so much!
I like AirBnB and Home and Away. But I have other timeshare that I use most often. I have Worldmark and love to stay in Reunion. I also sometimes have used RCI, since my Worldmark points are sometimes rolled into it. It is, RARELY, possible to use RCI to stay at Old Key West or Saratoga Springs, but it isn't like it 'used to be.' And most of the time it is just in a Studio apt. I will use a studio. They are better than hotel rooms (well, a little bit better) but I prefer 1 or 2 bedrooms.

Vrbo has lots of fees and inflated prices. We booked directly thru the Windsor hills website when we stayed there 2 nights before our DVC checkin last trip (super nice 3 br Disney themed condo for less than $100 a night!) and saved a lot of money over if we booked thru vrbo. This summer we rented a beach house on a real estate website and for the same house I would’ve paid almost $1000 more if I rented on vrbo. So try to find more direct places to rent from and you can save $. And btw Windsor hills was really nice and super close to the parks

Vrbo has lots of fees and inflated prices. We booked directly thru the Windsor hills website when we stayed there 2 nights before our DVC checkin last trip (super nice 3 br Disney themed condo for less than $100 a night!) and saved a lot of money over if we booked thru vrbo. This summer we rented a beach house on a real estate website and for the same house I would’ve paid almost $1000 more if I rented on vrbo. So try to find more direct places to rent from and you can save $. And btw Windsor hills was really nice and super close to the parks
Good idea. I was going to suggest trying something like that but I have never done it that way myself.

We've transitioned from exclusively VRBO to mostly Airbnb.
With fees we're generally around $300-500 per night.
5 to 9 bedroom homes. Within a few miles of the parks.
Mostly gated communities eith amenities.

If doing a full week Fri to Fri, Sat to Sat, or Sun to Sun, my favorite is to book one of the great offsite timeshare condos (more of a resort feel than the homes with the great amenities). For these I usually rent from timeshare owners on the site TUG2.net classified ads section or Redweek.com (There you can look as a guest, but need to pay a $15 fee to book something). The places I have rented the most often are Sheraton Vistana Resort and Cypress Pointe (You can get a three bedroom here). I really like both these properties and typically have found some good deals from owners renting these.
Can I ask you a question? I am struggling to get excited to stay off property. It’s just so much less to stay off property. I like exploring resorts and watching the fireworks from afar. Do you feel like you miss out staying off property? I lost my ability to drive a few months ago, my dh doesn’t love Disney and is nervous to drive around, do you still utilize Disney transportation while driving? Just curious what you thought. We love having the kitchen and the laundry and Disney is just too much to swing. You had such a great reply, you sounded like a pro.

I lost my ability to drive a few months ago, my dh doesn’t love Disney and is nervous to drive around
I’ve done many Disney trips both on-site and off. From where I sit, either I’m willing to drive or I stay onsite. If that means doing without the kitchen and laundry, and booking a hotel room instead, so be it.

I know some folks make offsite without a car work, and I suppose if you took ample advantage of ride share services it could be fine.

Last edited:
We just used a company called Villakey and rented a nice house in Windsor at Westside...we had a blast and they were great to work with

Can I ask you a question? I am struggling to get excited to stay off property. It’s just so much less to stay off property. I like exploring resorts and watching the fireworks from afar. Do you feel like you miss out staying off property? I lost my ability to drive a few months ago, my dh doesn’t love Disney and is nervous to drive around, do you still utilize Disney transportation while driving? Just curious what you thought. We love having the kitchen and the laundry and Disney is just too much to swing. You had such a great reply, you sounded like a pro.
I used to think driving around in Orlando was no big deal easy/peasy -- On our last trip, though, and I was the only one on the rental car contract for the minivan, so got to drive all six in our party everywhere, I really didn't like the driving. Maybe it's that I'm getting older (in my 60s now), maybe it's that I work from home full time (don't deal as much with rush hour traffic), and maybe it's that this trip was a super busy time spring break. It does, though, feel like there are more crazy drivers on the road.

I sure did though love our offsite condo and resort and we did some resort days, didn't go to the parks every day.

Uber does work really well in Orlando if you are comfortable using the app. I think it's a really good option. The one downside for with uber though is I usually make fewer grocery store trips than I do when I have a rental car -- usually just do one trip and then pick up higher priced stuff at the condo convenience store (just not worth the cost to pick up a few items when you have uber costs).

My last trip too was the first time offsite visitors don't get rope drop at WDW, I really missed that as in the past I'd always do non extra magic hour days and be one of the first people in the parks and ahead of the crowd. Last time all those onsite guests (who were paying for the privilege for sure) got in a 1/2 hour early.

I guess bottom line, I'd prefer not to drive and to have rope drop. But I love the great offsite condos and great prices and think Disney hotel prices are ridiculous (my bean counter personality is unwilling to pay those prices). Also renting DVC costs (Disney onsite condos) when I did the math was triple the cost of a fantastic offsite place (And that's for the less expensive Disney onsite condos -- There is absolutely no way I'd spend that money -- my bean counter personality again). Also, I'm never really happy onsite as I feel trapped into paying Disney prices for food and such and want to escape from the Mouse (This was the case for me when DH has had conventions at Disney hotels.)

I think there are compromises both ways. I'm am offsite girl though. Overall that works better for me. I would seriously in your shoes consider offsite and using uber (work really really well in Orlando).

You can still visit the Disney resorts as an offsite visitor too and use the monorail etc., watch fireworks from the beach. We often have devoted a non park day to doing that when we've been offsite.

Ebay is my favorite place to land rentals, followed by Redweek.

Right now, there are 543 listings for Orlando on eBay.

If anything, it should give you a good idea of what is renting for what. The completed listings will show you what people are buying.

There is no perfect place for third-party rentals, you have to shop around.

I used to think driving around in Orlando was no big deal easy/peasy -- On our last trip, though, and I was the only one on the rental car contract for the minivan, so got to drive all six in our party everywhere, I really didn't like the driving. Maybe it's that I'm getting older (in my 60s now), maybe it's that I work from home full time (don't deal as much with rush hour traffic), and maybe it's that this trip was a super busy time spring break. It does, though, feel like there are more crazy drivers on the road.

I sure did though love our offsite condo and resort and we did some resort days, didn't go to the parks every day.

Uber does work really well in Orlando if you are comfortable using the app. I think it's a really good option. The one downside for with uber though is I usually make fewer grocery store trips than I do when I have a rental car -- usually just do one trip and then pick up higher priced stuff at the condo convenience store (just not worth the cost to pick up a few items when you have uber costs).

My last trip too was the first time offsite visitors don't get rope drop at WDW, I really missed that as in the past I'd always do non extra magic hour days and be one of the first people in the parks and ahead of the crowd. Last time all those onsite guests (who were paying for the privilege for sure) got in a 1/2 hour early.

I guess bottom line, I'd prefer not to drive and to have rope drop. But I love the great offsite condos and great prices and think Disney hotel prices are ridiculous (my bean counter personality is unwilling to pay those prices). Also renting DVC costs (Disney onsite condos) when I did the math was triple the cost of a fantastic offsite place (And that's for the less expensive Disney onsite condos -- There is absolutely no way I'd spend that money -- my bean counter personality again). Also, I'm never really happy onsite as I feel trapped into paying Disney prices for food and such and want to escape from the Mouse (This was the case for me when DH has had conventions at Disney hotels.)

I think there are compromises both ways. I'm am offsite girl though. Overall that works better for me. I would seriously in your shoes consider offsite and using uber (work really really well in Orlando).

You can still visit the Disney resorts as an offsite visitor too and use the monorail etc., watch fireworks from the beach. We often have devoted a non park day to doing that when we've been offsite.
What an amazing response!! Thank you so much for the reply. I love my disboards peeps!! It’s our first time I think I need to make sure I remember we are lucky to be going again. We have a day at the park and a day at home not at the park. We may enjoy the resorts so much we don’t even go in. Who knows. Dh has zero desire to drive around Orlando 😂 so we will see what happens when we get there. Thanks again!

I have teens now, so the days of sharing beds are over and we need more space. We prefer staying offsite now bc we are spoiled with the 2-3 bedroom/bathrooms, a full kitchen, and our own laundry for a fraction of a Disney Resort. My favorites are Windsor Hills and Sheraton Vistana Resort. We also stayed at Sheraton Vistana Villages, but I thought the Resort was cleaner and in a better location. I've also considered the new Disney Springs Drury, Suites at Flamingo Crossings (Homewood, Home2Suites, etc), and Buena Vista Suites.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter