GO back to a studio?

skorpie

Love the magic
We're going home in July for the first time staying in a 1 bedroom. I want to plan other trips but to save points do you think we can go back to a studio? (I'd really like to go at Christmas next time) Or will we be so spoiled by the 1 bedroom that we'll never want to go back to a studio! Has anyone had to make this decision? Thanks!

Which resort are you staying at? After one trip in a studio at OKW (when we made the decision to purchase) and our next trip in a 1 Bedroom, we have NEVER been able to go back to a studio. Tried it once for a short trip for the two of us---never again. Just miss that jacuzzi and full kitchen and laundry too much!:) The 1 bedroom at OKW isn't that much more than a studio, so we decided we just needed enough points to do at least a 1 bedroom each stay. The studios at OKW don't have very good views either since they tend to be on the corners of the buildings and covered by foliage.

Since we almost always take guests, we usually get 2 studios instead of a 1 bdrm, that way we can stay for 2 weeks twice a year and each room has a separate room key/charge priviledge. If we go alone, we get a 1 Bdrm and make it a true luxury vacation.

Yes, it's SO much nicer in a 1BR, but if it means 2 vacations instead of 1, sometimes we do a studio. Quantity vs. size sometimes wins out! It IS an adjustment and I would rather always have a 1BR, but sometimes we must "sacrifice" :D !

Our home resort is VWL. We stayed for the trial run,before purchasing, in a studio at OKW. My husband liked VWL so we bought from Disney. I look at the amount of points to stay there during Christmas in a 1BR and we really could save points in a studio. I probably wouldn't so too much cooking if we did go at Christmas. I think that once we really experience the !BR we might have to always stay there. I'd really like to be at VWL and enjoy the decorations!

It is hard to go back to a studio after a 1 bedroom, but DH and I have done it. As someone said, if it means being able to go twice instead of once, I'll make the sacrifice!!!!;)

The studio is not terrible, don't get me wrong. It's still as nice as any of the Deluxes, IMHO. And the kitchenette is fine for our purposes...we never cook in the kitchen in the 1BR anyway, so having a microwave,coffeemaker and toaster with a little fridge suits us fine for our snacks and easy breakfast foods. What I do miss is the laundry. When we stay at a 1BR, I can pack so much less because I can do laundry while we're there!

But, quantity wins out over space...take the studio and go on 2 vacations!!!!!!!:D

I find that staying in a studio at BW is easier than a studio at OKW. We did our first extended stay in a studio at OKW ( 15 nights) and I really missed the sofa. It seems to make the room feel more like a "suite" than a hotel room. When It's just the 2 of us a BW or VWL studio works better.

hi: we had originally planned for studio stays as well-it's about the same size as the deluxe hotel rooms we've been in. after 1 stay in a 1br, dh informs me that he'll never do a studio! the solution was to buy more points so we could still "afford" the twice yearly trips we were taking.

We switch back and forth all the time. I judge a studio or 1-br based on it's 'value' to me for the particular trip. For example, we love to go to Epcot for New Years, but that's premier season, and if it's a weekend also, point costs can get quite high. So what we do is get a Studio for the high point days, then we move to a 1-br the first thing in January, (when everything drops to Adventure Season) for the remainder of our trip.

At Vero Beach we'll get a studio (in the inn). There we can enjoy the resort itself, and the room and experience is just like a regular hotel stay, but with a better room. We don't miss the 1-b/r there.

We've also used studios at BWV's as the atmosphere there can be very similar to a regular hotel experience and we tend to be in the room less often, instead taking advantage of everything in the area.

At OKW, we always get a 1-b/r. There, we tend to relax in the unit more, and we enjoy the spaciousness. To me it's really more of the home away from home feeling as opposed to the 1-b/r units at BWV and VWL.

In the final analysis, we do a 1-b/r whenever we can. That's the main reason we've done two add-on's since our original purchase in '93. You do get spoiled.

The things I miss the most are the washer/dryer and, of course, the jacuzzi. But like others have said, when you get twice the vacations, it is worth it to do a studio.

Out of curiousity...what's to miss about the washer/dryer? Isn't there a free laundry room somewhere in the building? My plans don't call for staying on property for more than 4 nights until maybe 2004 so...I pack the same amount I would if I were staying 7 or 8 nights & doing laundry.

I do plan on staying at Hilton Head for a week this year so maybe I'll find out what the problem is then....again in studio...cooking is not in the plan.

The w/d is a huge advantage to have in the room...especially with kids! You can just toss the dirty stuff in at the end of the day without schlepping it all down to a laudry room and having to hang out there. For a short, all adult stay it wouldn't be an issue, but with kids laundry is a much bigger priority. Makes it so much more like home too!

I throw the towels in the washer before we go to the park, when we get home for the evening I throw them in the dryer, then the next AM I have clean towel without having to watch them.

We go back to a studio when it is just the two of us and save points so that we can come again with family and reserve a 2-bedroom. The W/D is the only thing we miss, but we plan on doing laundry in the middle of our stay and sometimes again just before we leave. It works for us!

besides the whirlpool tub and the washer/dryer I also miss the larger living space and the VCR but when you can have 2 trips for the same amount of points we also stay in a studio. ALot of times my brother will call and want to go anywhere - well I have used all my points except for our stay in a 1-bedroom I change it to a studio and he goes to HH or VB. this works for us. For BWV and VWL I just own enough points to do a studio or every other year a 1-bedroom.

STayed in 1 bdrm @ the BWV's on first trip "home". Second trip we rented a studio at VWL for me, DH and DD who was 3. DH hated it and we switched mid week (after two nites I believe) into a one bedroom. He said he "thought" a studio would be enough for us for a two week stay each year but then decided otherwise. We came home and promptly entered the "lottery" and won :rolleyes: if you can call it that an additional contract at our home at BWV's. DH says "no more studios" :) I guess thats a good thing :D :D

We may be a minority, but we have most frequently stayed in a studio , whether at OKW, BWV or most recently VWL. Don't get me wrong, the jacuzzi is great as is the extra space, but the studio allows us to go 3 or more times a year. There are four of us, the kids are 14 & 7. It stil beats any other hotel room and the kitchenette is sufficient, although we have always packed a toaster!!

mac_tlc

DVC '92

'74, '75, '76, '77, '79, '80, '83 (hunnymoon), '85, '90, '91 off-site
'92 DVC
'93 DVC, DVC
'94 DVC, DVC, DVC
'96 OKW, OKW, OKW, VB
'97 OKW, OKW, VB
'98 OKW, OKW, VB
'99 WL, OKW, OKW
'00 OKW, Magic, VB, OKW
'01 DCA, VWL, BWV, Magic

For my upcoming trip, I plan to switch back and forth beween a studio and 1 bd several times. (I'll be there for an extended period.) When I'm solo, I'll be in a studio--when I'll have guests, I'll be in the 1 bedroom. I'll be making 4 switches. I have a collapsible cooler that I take to store any milk, etc. between switches. I have done this in the past, and I don't mind it at all. When I'm in the 1 bdrm, I consider it a REAL treat and I savor my time there! :D
I enjoy my time in the studio--it has everything I need, and by staying in one, I can extend my trips.

My trips are usually just 2 of us and by staying in a studio we get a lot of mileage out of my DVC points. I average 3-4 trips of 8-10 days, per year, so staying in a BWV studio definitely works for me. I love the studios at BWV, for 2 people they are quite spacious and much nicer than a room at a deluxe resort. OKW studios I do not like at all, they seem just like staying in a deluxe resort room with a nicer bathroom and a small, dark, cramped kitchenette. I love having the sofa at a studio at BWV and the larger, ligher, more attractive kitchenette, it just makes the room seem so much bigger and more of a studio apt feel as opposed to the hotel room feel I get at a studio at OKW. If all the studios were like OKW, then I do not think I would be happy staying in a studio but I am more than pleased with BWV studios and I do not feel as though I am giving up anything to stay in these accomendations and be able to get more trips per year from my DVC points. Now when it comes to a 1 BR unit, OKW takes the cake, I love their 1 BR! I just wish I could have a OKW 1 BR in a BWV location. Then I would have the best of both worlds for when we do splurge and stay at a 1 BR.

We're new 'owners' and splurged on a 1 BR at VWL (for the 2 of us) for our first trip. It was so much more luxurious than either of us EVER imagined. Having a sofa and living room made it seem like home, and we could each watch our own TV favorites and go to bed and get up whenever we wanted without disturbing the other. We've always enjoyed the rooms and amenities at WL, but spent even more time in our VWL room because it was so comfortable. Our own washer/dryer was such a convenience! It will be VERY difficult to go back to a smaller room, but we also know that we can go more often if we use a studio part of the time. And, of course we're talking about an add-on, but it's not a convenient time for us to spend the money ---- somehow, I think we'll figure out a way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter