Gluton and wheat free meals???

skychica

Earning My Ears
I was newly diagnosed with Celiac Disease and cannot consume wheat or Gluton products. Does anyone know if any Disney restaurants can accomodate such a diet??

Thanks!

Alicia

Yes, Disney is very aware of Gluten Free diets, and Celiac disease, and all their chefs can accomodate it. There are lots of threads on here, with people sharing their exp's at WDW with Celiac, and also information on it at www.allearsnet.com under dining, special accomodations.

I believe when making PS, that you can get contact info for the chef at each restaurant, and they can ensure you get something appropriate when you come in. Also, all counter service locations in the World have ingredient lists available upon request. I believe there have been some lists compiled of 'safe' foods, but I can't remember where now... (I was misdiagnosed with Celiac for a few months until they realized it was something else, so I researched WDW a bit in prep for a trip)

WDW is one of the best places a Celiac or Gluten Free person can vacation and dine =)

My sister was on a gluten free diet when she traveled to WDW with me in '03. She was amazed and very impressed with how accommodating the sitdown restaurants were. I remember that the chefs at both SciFi and 50s Prime Time came out of the kitchen to talk with her about what they could make for her. She always felt she had great choices, and really enjoyed the food.

Counter services are supposed to have gluten free items available upon request. We didn't realize that until late in the trip, but my sister had no problem finding good options on the regular menu that she could eat anyway.

As aimeedyan mentioned, check out the article on allearsnet.com. It's very informative and I think you'll be reassured that you'll have plenty of dining options. Best wishes! :D

Hi Alicia,

I found out I had Celiac right before my trip a few years ago - I've gone several times since then and I have found Disney World to be the 'best' place to help you with Dietary needs. Definately note that you have a 'gluten allergy' (although it's really not an allergy, but it's easier to say that) when making all PS's. Then call the chef's number before going (the person making you the PS will give you all this information). I was so happy to get stuffing with gravy at the Liberty Tree Tavern - I love stuffing and the chef made the stuffing and gravy special just for me! And all the breakfast places made me special waffles or pancakes (yum!). I had one problem at the Wipserping Canyon (at the WL) where the chef told the waiter to go ahead and put onion rings on my steak (nope!). Anyways, I sent it back and the chef came out and apologized and gave me my meal for free. Of course, they had to make me a new meal since the breading touched the steak. Almost every chef wanted to make me special items (even if I thought there was enough on the buffet for me to eat). They were so friendly too.

Just be aware - and notify all chefs and enjoy your trip!

Having Celiac can be frustrating, but it's great that you found out and can now take care of yourself!

If you haven't already checkout www.celiac.com

-Karen

My DS is on a gluten-free, egg-free diet (he does not have Celiac, tho) and we always do well at WDW. The places that are usually most accomodating (and I mean over the top, write a letter accomodating) are Ohana, Crystal Palace, and Chef Mickey's. We average 2 trips a year and are always amazed at how terrific the chefs are every place we dine (except for an incident at MGM, we've never had a bad experience). Be sure to mention the allergies when you make your PS, call the chefs one week prior to your PS dates, and then mention the allergies again once you get to the restaurants. Have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter