Give me your best advice to save me from foot pain

I used to have plantar fasciitis and everything hurt after a day in the parks! This trip, dd and I averaged 30,000 steps a day and we both came out with zero blisters and very little pain. DD alternated between her very broken in sorel boots and her olukai slip on shoes. The key here is both were already broken in, but also still had excellent insoles. I alternated between my merrell encore breeze slip ons and my new balance 880s, also broken in, but the insoles are still up to the task.

Next, good socks are a must, and extra pairs of them. For me ”no show” puma socks, which actually hit at my ankle work great, dd has some random socks from various stores that work for her. The important part is the ability to put fresh socks on if your feet get too sweaty halfway through the day.

Then, I buy pre-cut strips of KT tape, and cut them into thirds and quarters. At the first sign of rubbing, stop what you are doing, take your shoe and sock off and slap a piece of KT tape over that spot. But you can’t wait for the blister to form. If you are too slow, put a bandaid over the blister and KT tape over it.

Lastly, and this is a new trick for us… biofreeze gel. When you get back to the room for the night, slather that all over your feet (wash your hands good after or it is COLD between your fingers), pop a couple of Advil and go to bed! Worked like a charm!
Biofreeze? That's a new idea. I'll try that!

Hokas and/or Asics are great walking sneakers. Used them to walk all around Italy this summer!

I wear Hoka Bondi 8, they’re extremely light. Like walking on air!
I second this, especially Hokas. I love my Hoka Clifton 8s. They required zero breaking in.

I went to a sporting good store and said I needed sandals for lots of walking that could get wet. After trying on a lot I ended up with a pair of Keens. My Mom did similar and ended up with a pair of Tevas. Expensive and totally worth it. Only end up with like 1-2 blisters now or none if I can switch to my soft tennis shoes in the evenings depending on my foot swelling.

Consider taking CBD daily for the trip to see if it helps with foot swelling. It does for some people. No THC needed, make sure it is lab tested (Charlottes Web, Joy Organics, Green Roads are ones I know of that are lab tested).

I second this, especially Hokas. I love my Hoka Clifton 8s. They required zero breaking in.
This!! Hokas changed my life. I get plantar fasciitis in my left foot and tried Nikes and Brooks on my doctors recommendation. Neither helped even with Superfeet inserts. i read about Hokas online and bought a pair. No more foot pain and no more inserts. They are by far the most comfortable sneakers I’ve ever worn. I also bought a pair of oofos sandals to wear around the house and they are also amazing.

I always wear crocs or sandals from The Walking feet Store. Curious what isnt comfortable about the crocs for you? I have different ones that fit different so wondering if I could make a suggestion.

Another thing, before and after the park I wear compression socks, which helps immensely by keeping any swelling away it helps avoid the shoe rubbing.

I always wear crocs or sandals from The Walking feet Store. Curious what isnt comfortable about the crocs for you? I have different ones that fit different so wondering if I could make a suggestion.

Another thing, before and after the park I wear compression socks, which helps immensely by keeping any swelling away it helps avoid the shoe rubbing.
Everyone is different of course but for my crocs don't provide nearly enough support for my arches or ankles. They are fine for throwing on to run a quick errand but not good enough for all-day support.

Hokas? What are these? I also get severe plantar fasciitis in my left foot, so I am intrigued....wonder if I can get these in NZ?

Hokas? What are these? I also get severe plantar fasciitis in my left foot, so I am intrigued....wonder if I can get these in NZ?
They are a shoe brand. I think they were originally running shoes? But they now have several styles more suited for walking and hiking. Some soles are very thick, others not quite as thick but all are very supportive and cushiony. I didn't care for the way they looked but I tried them about 4 years ago and haven't looked back. I have a few other brands of shoes that I also wear and switch out but my Hokas are my go-to anytime I have a lot of walking/standing.

I've worn my crocs sneakers but brought my regular croc clogs to change into half day. It really helped.

My Tevas are the must go sandals on a Disney trip. Other than that I also like Skechers.

I have extremely problematic feet. I wear the Teva sandals, with socks, and my feet hold up all day. Not a good look, but sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

I don’t have shoe suggestions other than I change my shoes every time I go back to the room. And if possible, every day. I try to pack 3 really different pairs - a walking shoe, a running shoe and Oofos (usually wear the Oofos at night where there is less walking time and potentially more sitting and (heaven forbid - see below) standing for shows).

i also have a rule at DL. NEVER stand still. If I’m in line, I’m shifting back and forth or pacing perpendicular to the line (if there’s room in “my area”) or sort of walking in place. The standing kills my feet, but I can walk all day. I also sit every chance I get. Stopping to book a LL? Grab a bench. Don’t stand and make decisions. Pull up to a bench- even if it’s only for 2 mins. Waiting for evening entertainment can be problematic for this strategy, but if I’ve managed my feet all day - it’s not usually a problem.

Just got back from DLR and did much better with my feet than previous trips. The things that worked:
  • Comfortable, well-broken-in shoes. I switched between two pairs (Skechers and Fitville are the brands), both with Dr. Scholls inserts. I tried to wear a less-comfortable pair with my Disneybound outfit but ditched them by the time we got through the turnstiles (luckily I had brought another pair with me just in case). Not worth it just for aesthetics.
  • Compression socks. I had bought some ankle socks that said they were compression socks, but I don't think they actually worked all that well. What did help was a pair of knee-high toeless compression socks that I wore to sleep each night. I picked toeless ones because I hate wearing socks in bed and I thought they'd help with being able to keep them on all night. I was able to stand them and they helped a lot.
  • Each night when we got back to our hotel, we laid on our beds with our bums up against the headboard and our feet up against the wall. It looked really stupid, but it helped drain the built-up blood from them quickly and helped a lot with swelling. It hurt a lot while the blood was draining but made a big difference the next morning.
  • This is a bit out there, but I honestly think it helped. I bought a infrared light heating pad/belt (it has a bunch of red LEDs) and used it on my feet in its pulsing mode for 20 minutes. I forgot to do it a couple of nights, but then remembered and gave it a try. My feet felt much better then next morning when I used it than the mornings that I didn't. I had originally bought it for my tendonitis (along with my trusty SalonPas) and I believe it helped there too.
  • Taking breaks. We had a sit-down lunch or dinner each day, and would also find a shady spot for an hour or so each day (usually the hottest part of it) to rest. We did go back to the hotel one day but the way our LLs worked out the other days made it more convenient to just rest in the parks.
Usually by the time we're walking back to our hotel on Day 5 I'm dying while waiting for the light at Harbor to change, pacing back and forth because it hurts much less to walk than to stand. This time, I was totally fine. It felt like I had Day 1 feet instead of Day 5. They were still sore, but not nearly as bad as usual. My feet hurt worse on Day 4 than Day 5. I had used the red-light therapy the night of Day 4 but did not do it on Day 3.

I did try the Biofreeze Gel trick but I don't think it helped me much. My calluses must be too thick.

Go to a running store and get fitted for shoes. No, you don't have to be a runner. They will watch your feet while you walk. Honestly, this is something that everyone should do. Any shoe recommendations are mostly pointless unless you know what kind of shoe fits your feet best. Some people's feet turn in or out more than others, and that can greatly impact how shoes fit your feet.

Just got back from DLR and did much better with my feet than previous trips. The things that worked:
  • Comfortable, well-broken-in shoes. I switched between two pairs (Skechers and Fitville are the brands), both with Dr. Scholls inserts. I tried to wear a less-comfortable pair with my Disneybound outfit but ditched them by the time we got through the turnstiles (luckily I had brought another pair with me just in case). Not worth it just for aesthetics.
  • Compression socks. I had bought some ankle socks that said they were compression socks, but I don't think they actually worked all that well. What did help was a pair of knee-high toeless compression socks that I wore to sleep each night. I picked toeless ones because I hate wearing socks in bed and I thought they'd help with being able to keep them on all night. I was able to stand them and they helped a lot.
  • Each night when we got back to our hotel, we laid on our beds with our bums up against the headboard and our feet up against the wall. It looked really stupid, but it helped drain the built-up blood from them quickly and helped a lot with swelling. It hurt a lot while the blood was draining but made a big difference the next morning.
  • This is a bit out there, but I honestly think it helped. I bought a infrared light heating pad/belt (it has a bunch of red LEDs) and used it on my feet in its pulsing mode for 20 minutes. I forgot to do it a couple of nights, but then remembered and gave it a try. My feet felt much better then next morning when I used it than the mornings that I didn't. I had originally bought it for my tendonitis (along with my trusty SalonPas) and I believe it helped there too.
  • Taking breaks. We had a sit-down lunch or dinner each day, and would also find a shady spot for an hour or so each day (usually the hottest part of it) to rest. We did go back to the hotel one day but the way our LLs worked out the other days made it more convenient to just rest in the parks.
Usually by the time we're walking back to our hotel on Day 5 I'm dying while waiting for the light at Harbor to change, pacing back and forth because it hurts much less to walk than to stand. This time, I was totally fine. It felt like I had Day 1 feet instead of Day 5. They were still sore, but not nearly as bad as usual. My feet hurt worse on Day 4 than Day 5. I had used the red-light therapy the night of Day 4 but did not do it on Day 3.

I did try the Biofreeze Gel trick but I don't think it helped me much. My calluses must be too thick.

I second the compression socks! Mine are toe-less and go around my foot and ankle but they helped so much.

This is an older thread from last September so apologies to the OP for reviving it.

I found the best running shoes ever last summer and wore them on my 13 night trip to WDW last September.

No blisters and not even a hot spot on my feet.

New Balance Fresh Foam Arishi V4. Found them on amazon but sure they're available elsewhere as well.

For years, I've had multiple blisters and even lost baby toe nails to blisters. So this was a game changer.

I do alternate every few days with my chaco sandals to relieve any pressure points and if raining heavily when I leave my room in the morning.

I also use Body Glide on my feet plus a toe sock - either injinji or a knock off from amazon.

But this trip the New Balance runners made all the difference.

I've received a lot of helpful info on the Boards from others about good park shoes. I wanted to return the favour and pass on my recommendation as it really made a huge difference. Everyone's foot is different but these shoes really worked incredibly well for me.

My best advice is finding another pair of sneakers/walking shoes that fit you better than your current Skechers. And bring a 2nd type of shoe to change into in the afternoon when your feet need to breathe.

I have a pair of Skechers & some comfy flip flops that I bring. I mostly wear the shoes, but will switch out if the soles of my feet get too sore. It’s also nice to have the flip flops on water rides or if it rains.

Also, I started wearing compression sleeves on my legs the last couple of trips & they’ve been a game changer for me. My feet don’t swell as bad, so they recover much quicker.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter