Girls Only Cocktail Sipping, Double Dipping Trip Report - COMPLETED...

UPDATE!!!

Only one more sleep remains until Sophie and I storm the VA Gatwick Clubhouse demanding pedicures and Virgin Redheads - tho' not necessarily in that order. All documents are present and correct in their practical but pretty pink plastic A4 folder, the cases (resplendent with new Flying Club Gold tags) are ready to go and my dogs are on their way to kennels as we speak. It's almost here!!! So I guess it's time to spill the beans. You may recall earlier in the pre-trip report, I hinted at a couple of surprises I have up my sleeve for Sophie. As I'm confident she won't have time in her hectic schedule to check the DIS prior to leaving, I'd now like to share my secrets with you all...

Surprise Number One. So I have to confess that this isn't the usual Girls Only trip - because one of the Girls is actually a Boy!!! Fear not, gentle readers - there have been no sex-change shenanigans or trans-gender trickery in Taylor Towers! Let me explain. A couple of months ago, my DH was 99.99% decided he would be changing jobs and therefore taking advantage of the 3 months associated 'garden leave'. Intoxicated by the prospect of being (temporarily at least) a footloose and fancy free ex-employee, he begged me to join our trip and become a honorary 'ho' for the duration!!! Worn down by his perpetual pleading, I grudgingly agreed and added him to all our reservations. He's not flying out with us (something about "not missing Aston Villa's last home game of the season"...) but is joining the party on May 6th. Needless to say, Sophie has NO IDEA that her Pa's popping in and will be beyond excited to see him so I expect much supersonic squealing. Oh and for anyone who cares, DH didn't leave the company so actually has no garden leave after all. However he came up with a cunning plan and engineered a departmental change in the hope that no one's monitoring the number of holiday days he's used up so far this year. Bless...

So let's recap with a cast reminder...

Me: Karen (a.k.a Kaz) 40-something. Loves all things Disney, a Kir Royale in Mizner's Lounge and spending DH's $$$...
Him: Richard (a.k.a Dick) Slightly older 40-something. Loves a Kir Royale in any Lounge and the exchange rate...
Her: Sophie (a.k.a Soph) Slightly younger 20-something. Like her Mother, loves all things Disney. Like her Father, loves a Kir Royale in any Lounge and the exchange rate...

Surprise Number Two occurs a few days later when we head to Port Canaveral for the first Double Dip of 2008!!! When I originally booked this cruise, I had Sophie's budget firmly in mind and happily opted for the a Category 7 - the Navigator's Verandah stateroom. When Daddy Dearest decided to drop in, I felt we needed a larger stateroom and emailed my Travel Agent at Dreams Unlimited for info on what was available. Imagine my shock, delight, disbelief and general gob-smackedness when she revealed a Category One - yes, you read that correctly - was up for grabs. What can I say, I'm very grabby and I've now got the Roy O. Disney in my hot little hands!!! This is a one-off opportunity and I can't wait to enjoy the exclusive environment - I'm not 100% sure I'll be able to leave the suite when we return to Port Canaveral so check the Orlando Sentinal for headlines such as 'Crazy Brit Chick Chains Self to Roy O Disney's Bed' or 'Loony London Lady Lassooed to DCL Light Fitting'... But I digress. Sophie knows nothing of this development and I expect the noise level at the cruise terminal check-in to increase sharply as this surprise unfolds...

And there you have it. It's going to be a fantastic trip and I'm so happy to be sharing the experience with two of my favourite people. DH and I have never had a holiday with just our delightful daughter and this feels the perfect way to thank her for 25 years of outstanding offspringiness! Cheers, Sophie! We love you....

OMG Kaz!!!!!! That's fantastic news!!!!

I am in awe of you at the moment my friend~

Please, please, please, take tons-o-pictures of the suite for me???

I am almost as happy that Dick is happy to be an honorary Ho ;) :lmao:

You guys are sooo cute~

I know you'll have an awesome time!

Karen, I am so excited for you. Thank you for sharing your little secret with me, I was really good, I didn't tell anyone :) I can't wait to see lots and lots and lots and lots (get the idea) of piccies of the Roy O. Disney Suite and I look forward to finding out how the first double dipping cruise goes

Have a fab time :thumbsup2

Have a lovely time Karen - cant wait to take girly trips with my girls (only about 15 years to wait).
Lovely news about Richard and the the Roy O. Disney Suite!
You go in style girl!
Beckenham will be a more boring place when you're gone ;)

OMG, Karen, the Roy O Disney suite?! I want to hear every last little detail and loads of photos too! And great news that your husband is joining you for the trip :thumbsup2

Laur's princess:

Wow!!Wow!!! Wow!!!!

I think I may have already missed you know, but you are going to have a wonderful trip and cant wait to hear all about it:goodvibes

Me and Mandy were talking about your trip yesterday.....have a great day checking in on the disney wonder Hun :hug:

Wow Karen, I am beyond excited that you managed to snag the Roy O. Disney suite. Hope you have a fantastic trip and that your DH lives up to his role as honorary 'ho' :)

Karen, I am thinking of you, as you'll be boarding the Disney Wonder today. Have a fab Cruise, and I can't wait to hear all about it

Hey Karen

I hope you had a great sailaway. I was watching you on the webcams

Sorry the Port Canaveral webcam wasn't working, but here's a few for you

From the CocoaBeach webcam

ship1.jpg

From twopalms

ship2.jpg

I'll try and capture a piccie of you in Nassau tomorrow

Have a fab cruise :thumbsup2

Hey Karen

Well you said you were staying onboard the Wonder in Nassau, it looks lovely there today. I hope you're enjoying a Bahama Mama at the adult pool now (is 9.40am too early for a BM ?? :rotfl: )

nassaudcl.jpg

Enjoy another day at Castaway Cay tomorrow :thumbsup2 and I hope you'll be making a start to your trip report at the weekend :rotfl2:

Enjoy the rest of your holiday :thumbsup2

I see you've arrived back at Port Canaveral

pcdcl.jpg

You'll be hearing that annoying announcement over the tannoy soon to let you know that you're able to disembark. I hope you've had a great time and that you've left some Bahama Mamas onboard for me for this Summer ;)

Have a safe journey home tonight Karen, and I can't wait to hear all about your trip

Hey Karen

I hope you're feeling OK :thumbsup2

Have you made a start on that trippy yet ? I'm dying to find out how your holiday went and to see some piccies :)

I'm just incredibly lazy, I'm afraid! I'll get on with it asap... ;)

Saturday May 3rd 2008:
Sophie and I arrived at Gatwick to see horrendous queues for the bag drop so decided to use the deserted Upper Class check-in line and let those helpful folk sort us out. Good idea - we were soon making our way through the Fast Track passport queue and heading straight for the Virgin Clubhouse. The Clubhouse was the busiest I've ever seen it as several flights were delayed (including ours) but we quickly found a couple of the retro comfy chairs and staked our claim before ordering breakfast.

IMGP1286.jpg

With stomach's lined, it was time to sip a couple of the Virgin Redhead cocktails - OMG I love 'em - can you tell..?

IMGP0013.jpg

Soon it was time to check-in for our complimentary pedicures. I went first and for some crazy reason opted for an over-the-top OPI orange shade!!! Mmm, let's just say tangerine tootsies aren't for me and I was pining for pink within 24 hours... Time ticked by - slowly enough for me to savour another couple of cocktails before our flight was finally called two and a half hours late!

The outward bound flights were superb - 6A/6K are wonderful seats and we received excellent service from the VA attendants. Food was good and the Bellinis even better! I rarely use the in-flight entertainment but prefer to bury myself in a good book and Friend Of The Devil by Peter Robinson worked well for me whilst Sophie opted for Joanne Harris' sequel to Chocolat...

IMGP0016.jpg

And so the hours flew past. Despite enjoying a serious snooze, I managed to read most of my book before afternoon tea was served and finished it as we descended into Orlando International. I enjoyed seeing great views of the Florida coastline...

IMGP0018.jpg

Immigration was a casual stroll-through, with our luggage ready and waiting for us as soon as we walked to the carousel. Magical Express was another breeze - I much prefer taking advantage of this method of transfer than picking up a hire car there and then. So Sophie and I clambered aboard, impatient to be off. We had to wait about twenty minutes before the bus finally pulled out of the parking area and headed for Walt Disney World. Our stop was second on the list so we sat patiently outside the Grand Floridian Resort, enjoying the spectacle of Cinderella's coach transporting a Fairytale Wedding couple around the grounds. Such a beautiful sight, it brought a tear to my eye tho' I wisely refrained from whining at my daughter how I wished she's get hitched at WDW! So I just waved at the happy couple and was delighted to receive a hand gesture in return - I think they were happy to see me..? Mmm, anyway, soon we were off again, and we both sat bolt upright, eager to catch our first glimpse of Wilderness Lodge...

The approach was wonderful! We even spotted a small deer at the side of the driveway before the bus stopped and we clambered off. After collecting our luggage, we headed to the lobby and checked-in. Wilderness Lodge is one of our home resorts and I can't tell you how happy that makes me. Prior to this stay, my fave on-site resort has always been the Polynesian but now I am in love with the Villas and definitely planning a return trip - looks like it'll have to be in 2010. After checking-in, we made our way to room 2511 with our wheelie cases, - a one bedroom villa with a small balcony overlooking the woods and pool area. Lovely! Sophie and I dumped our bags, freshened up and decided to head out to explore the resort. As we had the kitchen area, we decided to scope out the provisions available in the Wilderness Lodge Mercantile. Priorities firmly established, we opted for a bottle of white, a bottle of red and two half bottles of Baileys and Kahlua so Sophie could make her delicious variation on a White Russian - we were determined that our kitchen become a version of the concierge lounge we'd enjoyed in the past. We also popped into Roaring Forks for a couple of refillable mugs and servings of counter service food (burgers and salad) before heading back to the Villas to unpack, relax and enjoy a nightcap! More ice please, Sophie... Total Cocktail Count = 10!

Woohoo a new trippie - Great start Karen :cool1:

I do love reading your trip reports :lovestruc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter