Getting there from Silver Lake?

SplashMountainRules

Mouseketeer
We are staying at the Silver Lake Resort. I know it is by the AK. How close is it? Could we walk and catch disney transportation? I am just trying to make up my mind if we need a rental car or not. What do you guys think? Thanks for everyones help!

Hi...Silver Lake is VERY close to Disney, but "close to Disney" means at least a mile and not a good walk in my opinion...no side walks on Sherberth Rd. to Akingdom and this is about a mile or so of no hotels, houses or public buildings....could be a dangerous with no sidewalks and no street lights...Again,in my opinion only, trying to do Disney without a car unless you are in a monorail hotel in Disneyworld will waste a great deal of valuable time and keep you from enjoying many of the disney activities and limiting your access to restaurants......check rental car deals at mousesavers.com..go to Disneyworld and then to "ground transportation"...lately Dollar has had some great deals..she has 3 to 6 codes to try at the Dollar.com site...you may find some VERY different prices using different codes so try them all...I just got a compact in Orlando since I will be there alone for a week...was 179 tried her codes and came up with $83/week for the same car.....car rental rates change daily and you can cancel any reservation, so I get a car reserved and then check about 3 times a week to see if prices drop..you will be amazed at the changes....my advice.....rent a car for the convenience and the freedom...disney is very car friendly and almost all roads except the short back way to Disney on Sherberth Rd from Silver Lake is divided highways.....good luck...Ted...by the way We loved Silver Lake!!

Although the road mentioned is not a divided highway, it is VERY busy with traffic. We stayed at Silver Lake, and without climbing a fence you would have to walk about 1/2 mile out of you way just to get to the road from the resort. (Quick in a car, not quick or easy on foot). Our room had a "view" of that road. Let me tell you that at shift change and opening/closing of the parks it was extremely busy. I would not have attempted the walk to AKL (closest) or AK, especially with children. Getting to the closest Disney bus stop is at least 1 -1 1/2 miles using the most direct route by foot. That doesn't consider getting through the security gates that cars/buses pass through and/or climbing fences. As mentioned, it is a hike with no sidewalks. I've never seen anyone walk at Disney because it's so spread out. And remember, you will be exhausted travelling home from the parks. The last thing to do is walk another mile. Also, AK closes earlier than the other parks, so return bus service to the Silver Lake end of WDW is slim to none after sunset.
Tednvon is right, get a car. Even at a high rate, it is totally worth the investment when you stay off-site.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter