Germany 2025 Itinerary Change

limabeanmom2003

Wilderness Lodge Memories
The 2025 dates for Germany are one day shorter. They have removed one day in Munich and are no longer going to Dachau or Hofbrahaus. We are planning to arrive a day early, so experiencing Dachau that day is an option. I really want to eat dinner at Hofbrahaus. My husband has been there a few times during Oktoberfest and at other times of the year. His experience is that it was always crowded, but he was always on work related trips and had a local with him who knew how to navigate the place. Will our group of 4 be able to have dinner there and experience all they have to offer on our own? Any tips are appreciated!

I used to live in Munich. I went to Dachau on public transport, its easy to get to. Its not for the faint hearted as you are literally walking in the footsteps of all those who were sent there. You really need to do it at your own pace and not in a large group.

As for Hofbrahaus, there are far better places to go to. I would need to look at a map but there are many beer halls in Munich.

I did a couple of days in Munich after the ABD Danube River Cruise. After doing a lot of research, I decided to do a Viator tour to Dachau instead of doing it on my own. I was glad that I did due to the public transit logistics. Now granted, the tour guide took us on public transit the whole way, but I liked not having to know which train or bus to take to get there. Once you get to the town, the bus to Dachau will likely be very crowded. As OP have said, it’s easy enough to do on your own. There are free tours in English at a certain time, so be sure to check the hours of operation. The place is massive, so be prepared to do lots of walking. Our guide did a great job of explaining things and giving us some free time in certain places.

If the Germany ABD still stays at the Platzl Hotel in Munich the Hofbraus is behind it. The Hofbraus was on my must do list for Munich and it was very easy to do. You just find any open seat and sit down (as long as it’s not reserved). Whoever the waiter is will know you’re there and take your order. If you need a menu ask for one. It’s communal seating, so don’t expect a table by yourself. It is usually very busy and I would recommend looking at the menu online first to get an idea of what you would order. The popular items may not be to everyone’s liking. I was glad I did it, but I don’t know that I would do it again. If you like Hard Rock, it is right across from it.

I agree with your husband - it’s usually crowded but totally manageable. A few times we’ve had to wander around the lower level until we’ve found open seats but this last December we went upstairs instead, and they sat us at a table. If the weather is fine they also have a lot of seating outside. You will manage! :)

FWIW my husbands’ favorite is the Augustiner Keller as they have a really nice brick cellar area downstairs / good atmosphere. We always hit these two (and a few more as time permits, we like beer) when we’re in Munich!

I did the Germany ABD last summer - really disappointed to hear they've taken Dachau off the itinerary because it was such an impactful day and memorable part of the trip. Hofbrauhaus was fun and fine but as another poster said there are lots of beer halls and I didn't find it to be anything particularly special. The Weihenstephan brewery lunch was by far the best beer experience we did as a group.

It looks like they've also removed the Berlin Wall bike tour and replaced it with a day trip to Potsdam. I'm honestly disappointed... it seems like they're trying to sanitize Germany's darker history out of the trip, which a part of me can understand, but I don't think anyone goes to Germany without knowing about that history, and it's important to learn about (and from) the past.

I used to live in Munich. I went to Dachau on public transport, its easy to get to. Its not for the faint hearted as you are literally walking in the footsteps of all those who were sent there. You really need to do it at your own pace and not in a large group.

As for Hofbrahaus, there are far better places to go to. I would need to look at a map but there are many beer halls in Munich.
Thank you. I’ll take any recommendations you have.

Thank you. I’ll take any recommendations you have.
Ok, Ive just spent the last while on Google Maps, having a virtual walk through memories of Munich.

Some tips for on your own time in Munich

Bakeries and European style sandwiches are big in Munich. The sandwiches are typically chunky bread rolls with tomato, lettuce and meat. Müller Café & Bäckerei, Rischart and Hofpfisterei are the main ones. My favourite place was the Muller bakeries, as they were affordable and had hot savoury pastries to go.

I used to work in Hard Rock Cafe, so my friends and flatmates were mainly coworkers. Looking on the map, many places we went to are not there any more. However I did find a few

Cohibar City
Herzog-Rudolf-Straße 2, 80539 München, Germany
This was our special occasion night on the town bar. Its a Latin / Cuba cocktail bar just off one of the high end hotel and shopping streets. The drinks and atmosphere were great but its a bit pricy so it wasnt one we went to every week.

Kilians Irish Pub
Frauenplatz 11, 80333 München, Germany
This was one of our go to bars, both day and night. The food here is great, it was one of our regular lunch spots as they did proper Irish food and imported things likes crisps, bread and butter.

Gasthaus Isarthor
Kanalstraße 2, 80538 München, Germany
I am 90% certain this is a place we used to go to
Its an Augustiner Beer House which serves traditional Bavarian food. From looking at the area and photos online it seems very familiar to me. This would be a much better option than Hofbräuhaus.

How To Get To Dachau, Information on their website
Take the S2 train from Munich in the direction of Dachau/Petershausen until you reach the Dachau station. The train ride takes approximately 25 minutes from Munich’s Central Station (Hauptbahnhof).

Once you have arrived at the Dachau train station, take bus 726 towards “Saubachsiedlung” to the entrance of the Memorial Site (stop: “KZ-Gedenkstätte”).

Ok, Ive just spent the last while on Google Maps, having a virtual walk through memories of Munich.

Some tips for on your own time in Munich

Bakeries and European style sandwiches are big in Munich. The sandwiches are typically chunky bread rolls with tomato, lettuce and meat. Müller Café & Bäckerei, Rischart and Hofpfisterei are the main ones. My favourite place was the Muller bakeries, as they were affordable and had hot savoury pastries to go.

I used to work in Hard Rock Cafe, so my friends and flatmates were mainly coworkers. Looking on the map, many places we went to are not there any more. However I did find a few

Cohibar City
Herzog-Rudolf-Straße 2, 80539 München, Germany
This was our special occasion night on the town bar. Its a Latin / Cuba cocktail bar just off one of the high end hotel and shopping streets. The drinks and atmosphere were great but its a bit pricy so it wasnt one we went to every week.

Kilians Irish Pub
Frauenplatz 11, 80333 München, Germany
This was one of our go to bars, both day and night. The food here is great, it was one of our regular lunch spots as they did proper Irish food and imported things likes crisps, bread and butter.

Gasthaus Isarthor
Kanalstraße 2, 80538 München, Germany
I am 90% certain this is a place we used to go to
Its an Augustiner Beer House which serves traditional Bavarian food. From looking at the area and photos online it seems very familiar to me. This would be a much better option than Hofbräuhaus.

How To Get To Dachau, Information on their website
Take the S2 train from Munich in the direction of Dachau/Petershausen until you reach the Dachau station. The train ride takes approximately 25 minutes from Munich’s Central Station (Hauptbahnhof).

Once you have arrived at the Dachau train station, take bus 726 towards “Saubachsiedlung” to the entrance of the Memorial Site (stop: “KZ-Gedenkstätte”).
I'm a huge fan of pastries and European sandwiches! Thanks for the recommendations!

Yes, eat dinner at the Hofbrauhaus and be surrounded by drunk Japanese and American tourist!

There are much better options.

-Paul

It looks like they've also removed the Berlin Wall bike tour and replaced it with a day trip to Potsdam. I'm honestly disappointed... it seems like they're trying to sanitize Germany's darker history out of the trip, which a part of me can understand, but I don't think anyone goes to Germany without knowing about that history, and it's important to learn about (and from) the past.
Honestly, from things I've heard and read, the people of Germany would be the first to agree with you.

Sayhello

Honestly, from things I've heard and read, the people of Germany would be the first to agree with you.

Sayhello
I'm in contact with Zuza via Instagram (she was our German guide) and she very much agrees with me. Both her and Winston (Austrian) spoke repeatedly about the importance of recognizing and acknowledging the Holocaust in order to hopefully avoid repeating it. At the end of our trip, everyone in our group also agreed that the day we went to Dachau was a "highlight" of the trip in the sense that we all felt it had a huge impact and was not something we would have wanted to miss. No one in our group elected to do an alternate activity that day. I would expect Disney will get some disappointed feedback on this decision.

I'm in contact with Zuza via Instagram (she was our German guide) and she very much agrees with me. Both her and Winston (Austrian) spoke repeatedly about the importance of recognizing and acknowledging the Holocaust in order to hopefully avoid repeating it. At the end of our trip, everyone in our group also agreed that the day we went to Dachau was a "highlight" of the trip in the sense that we all felt it had a huge impact and was not something we would have wanted to miss. No one in our group elected to do an alternate activity that day. I would expect Disney will get some disappointed feedback on this decision.
Honestly, I have to admit that one of the main reasons I haven't done the Germany ABD yet was because I wasn't sure I was ready to go to Dachau, and now it seems I may have waited too long! I know I need to do it at some point!

Sayhello

Honestly, I have to admit that one of the main reasons I haven't done the Germany ABD yet was because I wasn't sure I was ready to go to Dachau, and now it seems I may have waited too long! I know I need to do it at some point!

Sayhello
Hopefully, they will bring it back once they receive feedback. I know that Dachau and Neuschwanstein Castle were two of the items on my must do list for Munich. At least they’re still going to the castle. Maybe someone who has booked the 2025 itinerary will be able to find out why the change was made and share.

While not in Germany, Auschwitz was one of the highlights of a previous trip around Europe. I don't think it brought down the mood for the rest of the vacation, which included Disneyland Paris and many other happier locations. It was a whole day, I had the evening free to reflect on it, and the next day I continued on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter