Georgia dissers...I-75 construction question??

shep

Let me tell ya about our 2008 trip out west...
Is there a lot of construction on I-75??
THinking of going down I-95 instead when we go to Disney because it appears I-75 is being worked on...say it isn't so?:(

Todd, it is so...:(

We went to WDW in March and traffic was backed up for 30 miles! That day, we discovered a new alternate for part of the trip. We leave on Monday to go back down. I got my AAA TripTik and they say possible construction for the entire length of the interstate. The thing is that construction could be anywhere. You just never know. My Dad just drove down this past Monday. I'll ask him where the slow spots are and get back to you.

How would you access I-95? Wouldn't that add a LOT more time to your trip?

also found this on the GA DOT site

Contractors for Georgia DOT will perform major reconstruction of Interstate 75 from S.R. 133 (Exit Number 18) in Valdosta to the Crisp/Dooly County Line. This reconstruction effort, which will be divided into eight individual projects, will consist of widening from four existing to six new lanes, resurfacing of existing pavement and the installation of a median barrier. Contractors will also raise existing overpass bridges to provide a minimum vertical clearance over the interstate.

The first three contracts have been awarded and work has begun. Douglas Asphalt Company has been awarded two contracts for sections in Lowndes, Turner, and Crisp Counties. Reeves Construction Company was awarded the contract for an eight-mile section in northern Tift County.

Current Status
Crisp/Turner Counties between Exits 84 and 99: Contractors will be paving on North and Southbound lanes which will require lane closures.

Tift County between the Northern Tifton City Limits and the Turner County Line: Contractors will be working and paving in the median. Also paving is planned for the existing travel lanes. These operations will require lane closures.

Lowndes County between Exit 18 and the Cook County Line: Contr actors will be performing grading operations on the outside shoulders north and southbound. They also plan to begin constructing a median detour over the Withlacoochee River between Exits 18 and 22. No lanes will be closed during the following hours: Fridays 2 pm - 8 pm, Saturdays 10 am – 8 pm, and Sundays 10 am – 6 pm.

Upcoming
The remaining five projects, which will complete this 85-mile section of Interstate 75, are scheduled for construction over the next two fiscal years.

Why Are Lane Closures Necessary?

The closures are necessary to allow crews to resurface the existing lanes and construct new lanes. This portion of the Interstate was constructed nearly 40 years ago. Since that time, I-75 has become the main route through central Georgia and vehicular traffic has increased significantly. Daily, approximately 40,000 vehicles travel on this section of highway. This figure rises to nearly 100,000 during peak travel periods. The latest advances in construction and asphalt mix technology will be utilized in this reconstruction.

Georgia DOT is committed to minimizing inconvenience to the traveling public and to providing safe conditions for motorists and workers. The magnitude of these projects and equipment needed to complete them on schedule warrant these lane closures.
For More Information Contact:
Interstate Reconstruction Area Engineer's Office at (229) 556-9433
District 4 Communications Office at (229) 391-6852
GDOT Traffic Management Center at 1-888-424-4929 in Georgia or 1-404-624-2653 outside Georgia
Official Georgia Highway and Transportation maps are available to the public free of charge at all DOT Offices and Welcome Centers to aid motorists in making travel plans.

Helpful Links:
Interstate Reconstruction Area Engineer's Office

Traffic Management Center

Georgia Department of Transportation

Georgia DOT District Four

Minimum Inconvenience
Because of the size and extent of these projects, work could easily impact travelers for several years. However, Georgia DOT will make every effort to minimize these impacts by requiring contractors to perform work at off-peak hours when possible. Motorists are urged to consider alternate routes during peak construction periods.
Maximum Safety
These lane closures will offer motorists and workers the safest alternative. These projects will require near-constant truck entries and exits into traveling lanes with many crews working on and adjacent to the roadway throughout the night when visibility diminishes.

Motorists are urged to obey posted speed limit signs and construction warning signs.

Hope this helps. They had a map of the counties it is effecting on the GA DOT site.

also found this on the Ga navigator website

I-75
I-75 southbound between I-285 and just south of the I-75/I-675 merge in Clayton and Henry counties, just southeast of Atlanta's Hartsfield International Airport
Work schedule to begin Wednesday, August 14, 2002 at 9PM
The proposed work schedule:
• Weekdays from 9PM to 5AM
• Weekends - virtually around the clock until 5AM on Mondays
• No Work on Holidays or during Inclement Weather

Scheduled completion date: July 2003
Alternate Routes: The Department of Transportation is strongly encouraging the use of I-675 south as an alternate route
Several lanes may be closed on I-75 northbound and southbound at various locations from SR 133/exit 18 to the Cook County line in Lowndes County. This closure will be in place daily from Tuesday, April 1 until Wednesday, April 30.
Two lanes of I-75 southbound will be closed between SR 49 and Hartley Bridge Road in Bibb, Peach and Crawford Counties. The closure will be in place from 8PM until 6AM daily from Sunday, April 27 until Thursday, May 1.

****ANYONE NEEDING DIRECTIONS ON HOW TO GET TO I 675 TO GO AROUND THE CITY JUST PM ME . I WILL BE GLAD TO SEND THEM TO YOU. IT IS QUITE EASY TO DO AND WILL CUT OFF SOME TIME TRYING TO GET PAST SOME OF THE CONSTRUCTION AREAS JUST SOUTH OF ATL.****

Wow--thanks for all the info

Olena--We will drive down I-75 then take I-40 towards Asheville(In Tennessee) and then pick up I-26 towards Spartanburg and that runs into I-95..Don't know what kind of road I-26 is, but the triptik says it is only 40 miles longer...
We hope to make Savannah at a decent time and then Sunday Morning hit a beach for a couple hours...

Good plan! Let me recommend Tybee Island for a nice beach in the Savannah area. They have a nice lighthouse and a huge pier....:D

Tybee Island Info

Between Chattanooga and Cartersville, there's not any construction going on.:) Atleast not any that I saw this past weekend.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter