Genealogy thread

No because its Irish ancestors in Ireland that we have traced back that far
Oh, I thought you meant Irish ancestors that went to America in the 18th century and then later returned permanently to Ireland. I was thinking they were sent by the UK over there. Sorry I was mistaken. Thanks for the response.

Oh, I thought you meant Irish ancestors that went to America in the 18th century and then later returned permanently to Ireland. I was thinking they were sent by the UK over there. Sorry I was mistaken. Thanks for the response.
The American ancestors we traced went to America and never came back. Thats what happened, when people left they were never heard from again , so before they left Ireland there was a big party for them called an American Wake.

Its only since the 1970's when transatlantic air travel became mainstream and affordable to normal people that Americans started coming back to Ireland and tracing their family.

The American ancestors we traced went to America and never came back. Thats what happened, when people left they were never heard from again , so before they left Ireland there was a big party for them called an American Wake.

Its only since the 1970's when transatlantic air travel became mainstream and affordable to normal people that Americans started coming back to Ireland and tracing their family.
Well the records of what happened to them would be available in US archive records. But I get what you mean.

I found him!!! My MIL was stoked to hear it. He wasn't born in Russia, so to speak. He was born in Belarus in 1895.

My kids were born about 3 hours east of Ukraine. He was born above Ukraine.

My husband found this all very interesting, too.

I found him!!! My MIL was stoked to hear it. He wasn't born in Russia, so to speak. He was born in Belarus in 1895.

Glad to have helped. Now you can go back further in history and add to your tree. :-)

My wife is on Ancestry as I type this, and one common assumption people make based on last names is that we have some Jewish heritage.
My last name, and my wife's mom's maiden name in particular. Yet the one thing that keeps popping up in both our family history, ancestors who were Protestant Clergy with those last names.
I mailed off my Ancestry DNA test kid yesterday, so we will see what comes up.

My wife is on Ancestry as I type this, and one common assumption people make based on last names is that we have some Jewish heritage.
My last name, and my wife's mom's maiden name in particular. Yet the one thing that keeps popping up in both our family history, ancestors who were Protestant Clergy with those last names.
I mailed off my Ancestry DNA test kid yesterday, so we will see what comes up.
Forced or pressured conversation was unfortunately common among Jews in Christian communities. Catholics and Jews among others had less rights at a time, while Anglican Christianity gave you the most rights in America for many years.

Last edited:
Ashkenazi Jewish heritage is common with European ancestry. Especially 400 years ago. Ashkenazi Jewish DNA is a mix between Levantine DNA and Italian/Greek DNA. Jews with this DNA can trace their origins to the biblical tribes of Judah, Benjamin, and in some cases the Levite Cohen line. When the Jews left Israel after 70 AD when the temple was destroyed, they left for Italy. Some came as Roman captured slaves but others became merchants and trade people. They married local Roman-Greco people and that DNA was added to the gene pool. Around the Middle Ages, they were settled in France and Germany (where more Euro DNA was added) and due to the Crusades, were persecuted. They were told to convert or die. Many fled to Lithuania, Poland, and Ukraine, where they were welcomed until Russia decided to torture the Jews and treat them unfairly starting in the late 18th into the 20th century (pogroms and Pale of Sentiment come to mind). I know know this history well since I have Ashkenazi DNA and some of my great grandma’s family was horrifically killed in the early 20th century by Russian sanctioned pogroms. She luckily escaped on a boat to America and came to stay with family already in New York. I’m thankful she was able to make a good life here in the USA.

Do you need tips for any of your direct ancestry?

Forced or pressured conversation was unfortunately common among Jews is Christian communities. Catholics and Jews among others had less rights at a time, while Anglican Christianity gave you the most rights in America for many years.
May be the case for my wife. But all these family members on my side were in Germany and England prior to 1900.

Tip on the day. When researching places where you think your ancestors are from, look at maps from the time they immigrated. Many places changed names over time as borders and nations were created.

Tip on the day. When researching places where you think your ancestors are from, look at maps from the time they immigrated. Many places changed names over time as borders and nations were created.
Ironically, I was just researching the names of counties in Maryland during early colonial days. So many of the settlers' farms are identified by county and those county names changed over time. Meanwhile, my ancestors' homes never moved.

Ironically, I was just researching the names of counties in Maryland during early colonial days. So many of the settlers' farms are identified by county and those county names changed over time. Meanwhile, my ancestors' homes never moved.
I’m currently researching colonial ancestors from NJ and three different sources have my family living in three different places in one year. It’s the same first name but shifts from town to village to county. All are close to each other but are clearly three separate locations. It can get frustrating. :badpc:

Have you found anything interesting so far?

Have you found anything interesting so far?
I found an interactive historical map of Maryland counties on mapgeeks.org. It covers from1637 (which is about 3 years after the first settlers arrived) to 1997. My family arrived before 1668 and is documented in a book titled "Baltimore County Families, 1659-1759". Baltimore County didn't exist until 1659.

I've read wills which were probated in Ann Arundell, Calvert and Patuxent counties and the interactive map revealed that at one time or another the properties mentioned would have been part of another county at an earlier or later date.

I found an interactive historical map of Maryland counties on mapgeeks.org. It covers from1637 (which is about 3 years after the first settlers arrived) to 1997. My family arrived before 1668 and is documented in a book titled "Baltimore County Families, 1659-1759". Baltimore County didn't exist until 1659.

I've read wills which were probated in Ann Arundell, Calvert and Patuxent counties and the interactive map revealed that at one time or another the properties mentioned would have been part of another county at an earlier or later date.
That’s cool. SAR and DAR may have journals of your ancestors as well. They have a vast variety of records that may be useful for you.

https://www.dar.org/

https://www.sar.org/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter