Gas just hit 4.00 a gallon in Orlando..

I'm worried that airfare is going to go up in the next month, so I'm thinking about buying our airfae out to take my daughter to college in August. I don't think it's going to go down. I'll just have to get refundable tickets since after we visit in April who knows maybe she'll hate it there!

We had to go out this morning and the prices have dropped by 10 cents. I was very surprised and happy to see that although I don't know how long it will last.

I think they have better public transportation (PT) systems due to the way their cities and towns are set up. Here in the US we are all spread out with many more rural areas that aren't conducive to public transportation. I live in the country, its a bit of a drive to go anywhere and there is no public transportation nor would it make sense to have any. A person would still need to drive their vehicle someplace to a central pickup location so it would defeat the purpose of PT. JMHO
My husband is a transportation engineer and his job for several years has been municipal transit infrastructure. We live in a region that has been exploding in population. Our area includes smaller rural areas but several decent sized cities and towns and we are about 1.5 hours from Toronto.
There are two camps in transit planning and infrastructure. There are those who plan for what we need in terms of growth and population, energy resources, and accessibility for all tax paying citizens .

Then there is a very entrenched old boys club who fight against bike lanes , transit spending ( because it’s seen as a thing only poor people need and who cares about them ) , and a reluctance to meet the changes we are seeing.

The European models for walkable cities, active transportation infrastructure, and less gas dependance were born out of need, but we need to be looking to them to see how it’s done if $4 a gallon is a national emergency.

My husband is a transportation engineer and his job for several years has been municipal transit infrastructure. We live in a region that has been exploding in population. Our area includes smaller rural areas but several decent sized cities and towns and we are about 1.5 hours from Toronto.
There are two camps in transit planning and infrastructure. There are those who plan for what we need in terms of growth and population, energy resources, and accessibility for all tax paying citizens .

Then there is a very entrenched old boys club who fight against bike lanes , transit spending ( because it’s seen as a thing only poor people need and who cares about them ) , and a reluctance to meet the changes we are seeing.

The European models for walkable cities, active transportation infrastructure, and less gas dependance were born out of need, but we need to be looking to them to see how it’s done if $4 a gallon is a national emergency.

I would love it if there were a convenient mode of PT where I live but I don't see how it's possible. There are just too many rural locations in south Jersey to make if feasible.

I would love it if there were a convenient mode of PT where I live but I don't see how it's possible. There are just too many rural locations in south Jersey to make if feasible.
The solution dh’s team came up with here is an On Demand model. Kind of like Uber but run by the region. It goes right to the houses in the rural area and connects the whole region for $6 a ride. It takes people who aren’t in a bus area to a main transportation hub or directly to their destination if it’s not serviced by a bus route. Its really popular and working well. It’s nice to see the seniors be able to stay in their rural homes and still get to appointments etc .
I totally get you ..my parents live near me on a dirt side road. 20 minutes into town for milk. The On Demand service runs to their place now ! I hope the idea will spread:-)

We mostly drive diesel cars in the UK and I just drove past a petrol station today selling diesel for about $12 a gallon. Most were about $10 a gallon. Horrible.

I'm worried that airfare is going to go up in the next month, so I'm thinking about buying our airfae out to take my daughter to college in August. I don't think it's going to go down. I'll just have to get refundable tickets since after we visit in April who knows maybe she'll hate it there!
I was watching airfares at the beginning of the year for a June trip. I always get antsy anyway, and generally buy well in advance, so I bought on a nice price dip. I was already concerned about the runaway inflation BEFORE the Ukraine invasion! I’m so glad I bought when I did.

If the price of jet fuel goes way up, I wonder if the airlines will be allowed to add that ridiculous “Fuel Surcharge” to previously purchased tickets.

Before the law required airlines to publish “Everything Included” prices, I remember ads for a $129 round trip “fare.” Then when you looked further, there was a $250 Fuel Surcharge plus other taxes and fees, bringing the total to something like $475.

If the price of jet fuel goes way up, I wonder if the airlines will be allowed to add that ridiculous “Fuel Surcharge” to previously purchased tickets.

Before the law required airlines to publish “Everything Included” prices, I remember ads for a $129 round trip “fare.” Then when you looked further, there was a $250 Fuel Surcharge plus other taxes and fees, bringing the total to something like $475.

You can count on it....

https://simpleflying.com/airline-fuel-surchage-spike-15-summer/
edited to add....just realized that you're referring to previously purchased tickets. I'm not sure if airlines in the US can do that legally. So, sorry for any confusion. What I am reading everywhere this weekend...is "get your summer tickets now". I'd get any tickets for the year now, which is what we've done personally. Southwest and I think Frontier has hedged their bet by purchasing fuel at $65 a barrel....through the end of the year for southwest I believe. But United and American have not. Either way, hedge or no hedge, prices are going one way....up.

Last edited:
My comment was about driving in Europe. You can drive through multiple countries in Europe in the time it would take you to go through states in the US.
Sorry, attempted to reinforce your comment as being an example of someone maintaining a lot of miles on vehicles compared to the typical Europe drivers.

Western Mass (Greenfield).... just filled up at $4.09/gallon... that is a drop from last Friday when I filled up at $4.29/gallon... which some of the stations in town are still displaying

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter