Gas just hit 4.00 a gallon in Orlando..

Thursday here in western PA was $3.69 (+0.10 over the course of all winter). Friday we woke up to $3.99 and by the time we went home from work it was $4.19 and it's stayed there.

Unreal how most are reporting prices coming close to PA prices. I cross the border and I usually feel like I have to run because I'm stealing it at the prices outside of PA. Down south on vacations, I use pocket change to fill up. Can't believe we're at $4.19 and people in Florida and Georgia are reporting $3.99.
PA has the highest gas tax in the nation - 49 cents a gallon, I believe. Gas prices in other states are significantly lower as we drive south to Florida. Fortunately we average about 10 gallons a week when we're at home, although we have to use medium grade (89 octane) or "high test" in our 2 Mini Coopers.

Actually, instead of lining the pockets of their executives and shareholders, they could actually DRILL under the okays they were given quite a while back. They don't need new permits, they've got them, they decided a while back that it was making them more money NOT to drill or pump more oil.
They need more than just the permit to drill. They need permits for the infrastructure to get in and do it. There are all sorts of regulations working against them right now.

Do you really think they're holding out with prices as high on what they sell right now?

People can have varying degrees of sad. And they can be sad about more than one thing at a time.

Just like people have varying medical issues. Some people will be sad about getting a hangnail while others will be sad about getting a stage 4 cancer diagnosis. I just have more sympathy with the later rather than the former.

I never suggested that high gas prices have no impact on demand. I said I don’t know anyone personally who is changing their driving habits right now and I too am not changing. Econ 101 also says that fuel is relatively inelastic. However, rising oil costs affect many things besides just personal driving.

If you’re on a fixed income then those people are more likely to change their plans. But even discretionary trips — I don’t think too many people are now going to choose to stay home instead of go to the mountains because it’s going to take an extra $15 to fill up a tank.
It seems to me that many, if not most, people are not even willing to modify their driving habits to get better mileage. Examples would include jackrabbit starts, not decelerating before breaking as they approach a slowdown or red-light, and, above all, driving well over the speed limit on highway trips instead of limit or 5 miles over. The last example, especially can significantly reduce miles per gallon.

Just like people have varying medical issues. Some people will be sad about getting a hangnail while others will be sad about getting a stage 4 cancer diagnosis. I just have more sympathy with the later rather than the former.
I'm glad the current gas prices are a hangnail in your life. For many, that's just not the case. A lot of people live in areas where a car is essential, and there are just no alternatives. And please, go ahead and tell the people who can't afford $5 gas to just go buy a car that costs more than the median salary in their area.

It seems to me that many, if not most, people are not even willing to modify their driving habits to get better mileage. Examples would include jackrabbit starts, not decelerating before breaking as they approach a slowdown or red-light, and, above all, driving well over the speed limit on highway trips instead of limit or 5 miles over. The last example, especially can significantly reduce miles per gallon.
I'm curious why you think people aren't doing that?

There are injustices and atrocities globally & daily. Why are you so focused on Ukraine? Unless, maybe, it's some is telling you repeatedly that you need to be to be in order for them to advance their agenda.

Because of the Ukraine we are cutting off Russian oil which is adding to the increases in gas prices. They are connected.

Got gas Tuesday, in PA, and it was $4.29 a gallon. Wednesday, same station, $4.49 a gallon. I drive by it every day to drop off grandson at daycare. Scares me daily. His single mom has had her hours cut. I wish she could alternate days, but the she has to be there daily. So a lot more money spent on gas and less hours worked.

My youngest just called to tell me she has to stay on campus for spring break as she has so much work to do and doesn't want distractions at home. I thought, yea, that just saved me $160 in gas (roughly our grocery bill for the week). I didn't tell "her" that though. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter