Galentine's Day

You're supposed to air grievances, not give well wishes.
I air grievances to those that I have grievances with. I don't have a grievance with the girl at the bank, or the store, etc., so I just wish them a Happy Festivus. You don't gift everyone you run into during Christmas or Hanukkah do you?

Not sure where I would have heard about it? I don't do a lot of social media, Instagram, TikTok, etc. Not part of my social group in real life either.
It was from a popular tv show and has been "a thing" for probably 15 years. I hear people make "treat yo self" and other similar movie/tv references all the time that they are now part of our culture even for people who never actually watched the movie/show.

Am I the only person who this grates on their nerves? I am so sick of hearing about Galentine's Day. It's not a thing. I feel like I'm in Mean Girls...."stop trying to make Fetch happen". I mean seriously are we that insecure that we need to call it Galentine's? And who is handing out gifts for this? It's ridiculous.
To be fair, I think it was supposed to be a bit of a ridiculous thing. Leslie Knope's most prominent character trait is that she always goes way over the top with everything she does. So, unless they are a major overachiever, no one is really putting on a Galentine's Day celebration like she would (elaborate gifts, speeches, etc), but I think many women enjoy the concept (a day to celebrate the women in your life).

It's been all over this year for some reason and it's driving me crazy.
I haven't seen it mentioned this year myself, but it does make sense that it may be more prominent than in years past. Many young women are actively choosing to forego romantic relationships with men, and opting instead to focus on their careers/education and female friendships. So, I can see where a fun outing with friends would be an appealing alternative to Valentine's Day for that demographic of women.

I don't get comments like this. If you have friends close enough to want to "celebrate" Galentines Day with you then they are good enough friends to just say "no" without making up excuses and/or good enough to know it isn't something you'd enjoy and/or good enough to know how to plan something that you'd enjoy.
It was simply a snarky, throwaway comment made jokingly about a subject I’ve never given any serious thought to. Now that you’ve asked me to give it some serious thought, I’ve realized two things. 1) You’re going to regret asking :laughing: and, 2) I think it’s a dumb idea.

Finding time to get together with your friends isn’t dumb, of course, it’s the whole making it a holiday with an official date and putting expectations on it that makes me roll my eyes. My best friend and I have been friends for 34 years and never once in that time have we felt the need to celebrate that beyond the occasional mention of, “Wow, can you believe we’ve been friends for X years now?” Same with my next two closest friends whom I’ve known for 22 years. For me, it’s enough to have friendships without having to celebrate the fact that I have friendships. It’s one of those does-everything-have-to-be-turned-into-a-big-deal kind of things, for me.

I’ll give a couple examples. (Sorry, I told you you were probably going to regret asking. Lol.) The other day a Facebook friend posted a picture of her kids’ elementary school schedule for the upcoming spirit days. 23 spirit days for the second semester alone. Assuming the first semester had a similar number (my kid’s school does more in the first half of the year), that’s 45-ish spirit days a year. 45 or more times a year that students and parents are expected to put together some wacky outfit to show their support for something. Sure, it’s not mandatory, but why don’t you want to show your support for kids with autism, little Olivia? Or kids with ADHD? Are you not anti-bullying? My question is, why can’t schools teach awareness of these issues without the additional burden of asking everyone to dress up for it? Because when you do something 45 times, it’s no longer fun or special, it’s just another obligation.

Play dates are another thing that come to mind. I’ll invite kids over to my house to play with my kids (and, of course, I have to entertain the parents, too, because hardly anyone just drops their kids off anymore) and the reciprocal invite I get afterwards is often along the lines of “Do you want to take the kids to the aquarium/children’s museum/water park?” Do I want to spend hundreds of dollars, haul three small kids downtown, and blow my whole day in a stressful environment so the kids can “play?” Um, no, I don’t. Why does everything have to be over the top and super special? Why can’t people be content with simple things?

Why does having friends mean we now need a holiday to celebrate having friends? I actually really like the idea of friends celebrating a milestone together. Like, if you and your bestie have been friends for 10, 25, 50 years or whatnot, celebrate that! Throw a party! I’ll happily accept the invite. To me, that’s something worth celebrating, an accomplishment between two individuals. But saying here’s a specific day where you’re supposed to take time to celebrate your friends feels too much like “forced fun” to me, along the lines of work Christmas parties and 45 school spirit days.

I’m struggling to even figure out the logistics of how a Galentine’s Day celebration would work in my world. I’ve got the three aforementioned closest friends, but their friendships don’t overlap with each other so it wouldn’t make sense that we’d all celebrate together. I’ve got another friend for whom I am her closest friend, but she is far from being in my inner circle so yay, there’s an opportunity for hurt feelings. 🙄 I’ve got a whole bunch of other friends and associates for whom I may or may not be inclined to accept an invitation from…. Unless you have a single click of friends you hang out with, it can get complicated. And sure, it’s not mandatory, but why don’t you want to show your support for female friendships, TipsyTraveler? How come men don’t have these expectations put on them? Where’s their BroDay, where they’re expected to make sure all their dude friends know how much they’re appreciated? The only Valentines spinoff holiday men have is Steak and ** Day, which, once again, the expectations for making it happen are put on women.

Just like Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day, and Father’s Day, this one holds potential to make people feel bad if they don’t have the types of relationships they’re being made to feel they should, and I’ve never been a fan of those types of holidays. I’m sure it’s only a matter of time before soap companies start giving me the option to opt-out of Galentine’s emails as they want to be sensitive that for some people the day is more “sad reminder” than “excuse to celebrate.”

Thanks for coming to my TED Talk. ;)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: GAN
The only Valentines spinoff holiday men have is Steak and ** Day, which, once again, the expectations for making it happen are put on women.

I'm glad I did! Otherwise, I may have spent the rest of my life not knowing about Steak and ** Day. The other good news is that I did know about "Galentines" and I do own a Smart Watch! 🤷‍♂️

I air grievances to those that I have grievances with. I don't have a grievance with the girl at the bank, or the store, etc., so I just wish them a Happy Festivus. You don't gift everyone you run into during Christmas or Hanukkah do you?
Merely saying Happy Festivus does not mean you genuinely celebrate it either. I'm afraid, like George's boss, I'm not convinced.

Am I the only person who this grates on their nerves? I am so sick of hearing about Galentine's Day. It's not a thing. I feel like I'm in Mean Girls...."stop trying to make Fetch happen". I mean seriously are we that insecure that we need to call it Galentine's? And who is handing out gifts for this? It's ridiculous.
It doesn't grate on my nerves. But if they were smart, they'd have changed it to the 16th so they have the 15th to buy all that stuff on 50% off.

It was simply a snarky, throwaway comment made jokingly about a subject I’ve never given any serious thought to. Now that you’ve asked me to give it some serious thought, I’ve realized two things. 1) You’re going to regret asking :laughing: and, 2) I think it’s a dumb idea.

Finding time to get together with your friends isn’t dumb, of course, it’s the whole making it a holiday with an official date and putting expectations on it that makes me roll my eyes. My best friend and I have been friends for 34 years and never once in that time have we felt the need to celebrate that beyond the occasional mention of, “Wow, can you believe we’ve been friends for X years now?” Same with my next two closest friends whom I’ve known for 22 years. For me, it’s enough to have friendships without having to celebrate the fact that I have friendships. It’s one of those does-everything-have-to-be-turned-into-a-big-deal kind of things, for me.

I’ll give a couple examples. (Sorry, I told you you were probably going to regret asking. Lol.) The other day a Facebook friend posted a picture of her kids’ elementary school schedule for the upcoming spirit days. 23 spirit days for the second semester alone. Assuming the first semester had a similar number (my kid’s school does more in the first half of the year), that’s 45-ish spirit days a year. 45 or more times a year that students and parents are expected to put together some wacky outfit to show their support for something. Sure, it’s not mandatory, but why don’t you want to show your support for kids with autism, little Olivia? Or kids with ADHD? Are you not anti-bullying? My question is, why can’t schools teach awareness of these issues without the additional burden of asking everyone to dress up for it? Because when you do something 45 times, it’s no longer fun or special, it’s just another obligation.

Play dates are another thing that come to mind. I’ll invite kids over to my house to play with my kids (and, of course, I have to entertain the parents, too, because hardly anyone just drops their kids off anymore) and the reciprocal invite I get afterwards is often along the lines of “Do you want to take the kids to the aquarium/children’s museum/water park?” Do I want to spend hundreds of dollars, haul three small kids downtown, and blow my whole day in a stressful environment so the kids can “play?” Um, no, I don’t. Why does everything have to be over the top and super special? Why can’t people be content with simple things?

Why does having friends mean we now need a holiday to celebrate having friends? I actually really like the idea of friends celebrating a milestone together. Like, if you and your bestie have been friends for 10, 25, 50 years or whatnot, celebrate that! Throw a party! I’ll happily accept the invite. To me, that’s something worth celebrating, an accomplishment between two individuals. But saying here’s a specific day where you’re supposed to take time to celebrate your friends feels too much like “forced fun” to me, along the lines of work Christmas parties and 45 school spirit days.

I’m struggling to even figure out the logistics of how a Galentine’s Day celebration would work in my world. I’ve got the three aforementioned closest friends, but their friendships don’t overlap with each other so it wouldn’t make sense that we’d all celebrate together. I’ve got another friend for whom I am her closest friend, but she is far from being in my inner circle so yay, there’s an opportunity for hurt feelings. 🙄 I’ve got a whole bunch of other friends and associates for whom I may or may not be inclined to accept an invitation from…. Unless you have a single click of friends you hang out with, it can get complicated. And sure, it’s not mandatory, but why don’t you want to show your support for female friendships, TipsyTraveler? How come men don’t have these expectations put on them? Where’s their BroDay, where they’re expected to make sure all their dude friends know how much they’re appreciated? The only Valentines spinoff holiday men have is Steak and ** Day, which, once again, the expectations for making it happen are put on women.

Just like Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day, and Father’s Day, this one holds potential to make people feel bad if they don’t have the types of relationships they’re being made to feel they should, and I’ve never been a fan of those types of holidays. I’m sure it’s only a matter of time before soap companies start giving me the option to opt-out of Galentine’s emails as they want to be sensitive that for some people the day is more “sad reminder” than “excuse to celebrate.”

Oh my. Sounds like someone is in the thick of the parenting juggernaut and could actually use a night out to blow off steam. Maybe figure out what suits your situation and needs/wants and focus on making that happen instead of lashing out at what others may or may not be doing?

Doesn't even sound like anybody has personally directly floated the idea of Galentine's Day to you, let alone tried to guilt or obligate you into participating. What does it matter if it appeals to others if it's not intruding your space? It's not my thing either, but I have no issue with others celebrating to the hilt.

Just realized, perhaps your comments were merely a late observance of Festivus? If so, my bad, please ignore my comments.

Oh my. Sounds like someone is in the thick of the parenting juggernaut and could actually use a night out to blow off steam. Maybe figure out what suits your situation and needs/wants and focus on making that happen instead of lashing out at what others may or may not be doing?

Doesn't even sound like anybody has personally directly floated the idea of Galentine's Day to you, let alone tried to guilt or obligate you into participating. What does it matter if it appeals to others if it's not intruding your space? It's not my thing either, but I have no issue with others celebrating to the hilt.

Just realized, perhaps your comments were merely a late observance of Festivus? If so, my bad, please ignore my comments.
I’m happy to ignore you, no worries. :thumbsup2

How come men don’t have these expectations put on them? Where’s their BroDay, where they’re expected to make sure all their dude friends know how much they’re appreciated? The only Valentines spinoff holiday men have is Steak and ** Day, which, once again, the expectations for making it happen are put on women.

The women have their equivalent of Steak and you know what day. It's called Cake and you know what day on 14 April. And men are expected to make that happen. Well, that is to say they would be if both of those two days weren't just raunchy memes put out by various jaded males and females that can't actually woo and keep a mate. I certainly wouldn't require my mate to put out and make it happen and I wouldn't deserve to stay married if I did. Nor would my mate require it of me. Also we do have bro days of obligation. They're just not called Palentines day. One of them is the first day of hunting season.

I've no problem with Valentines day, Mothers day, Fathers day. People just need to realize that life doesn't work like a Hallmark movie and need to be more realistic in their expectations.

Last edited:
The women have their equivalent of Steak and you know what day. It's called Cake and you know what day on 14 April. And men are expected to make that happen. Well, that is to say they would be if both of those two days weren't just raunchy memes put out by various jaded males and females that can't actually woo and keep a mate. I certainly wouldn't require my mate to put out and make it happen and I wouldn't deserve to stay married if I did. Nor would my mate require it of me. Also we do have bro days of obligation. They're just not called Palentines day. One of them is the first day of hunting season.

I've no problem with Valentines day, Mothers day, Fathers day. People just need to realize that life doesn't work like a Hallmark movie and need to be more realistic in their expectations.
Hot damn, I’ll mark my calendar! ;)

I have several friend groups, one is a group of 8 of us, we go out to brunch, dinner, Friendsgiving, axe throwing, comedy shows on a regular basis. Our kids are pretty much grown, so we make an effort to see each other (text in the group text daily). I’m sure galentines will happen. I know many women here who have similar groups.

As for play dates, as long as the kids are 3+ feel free to drop them off (not to be confused with playgroups, had several of those when the kids were little too).

I have several friend groups, one is a group of 8 of us, we go out to brunch, dinner, Friendsgiving, axe throwing, comedy shows on a regular basis. Our kids are pretty much grown, so we make an effort to see each other (text in the group text daily). I’m sure galentines will happen. I know many women here who have similar groups.

As for play dates, as long as the kids are 3+ feel free to drop them off (not to be confused with playgroups, had several of those when the kids were little too).
I’d be happy for them to drop their kids and go, but most come right on in like it’s a play date for us, too! :crazy:

I’d be happy for them to drop their kids and go, but most come right on in like it’s a play date for us, too! :crazy:
That would defeat my purpose of a play date, keeping my kid occupied. My twins are the youngest of 5, when they were in preschool and 1 got sick I’d keep them both home.

It was from a popular tv show and has been "a thing" for probably 15 years. I hear people make "treat yo self" and other similar movie/tv references all the time that they are now part of our culture even for people who never actually watched the movie/show.
Don't know that reference either. Treat yo self? Huh?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter