GAC changes - July & Aug 2013?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't work at an attraction that accepts GAC but all CMs are trained briefly about them. When I received my original training it said that is guest needs to use the FP line because the regular line was not accessible or they could not use it then you should hand write a return ticket that is equal to the wait time. I've only seen this done at Space Mountain.

I must state that I have no clue what is currently official policy or actually written.

Can I ask what attraction you work at?

I am going out on a limb and hoping I don't get tracked down and get in trouble from Disney but I'm at Agent P in Epcot so as I said GACs don't really apply to us.

I am guessing since GAC's don't apply-your area would not be "in the loop" for GAC changes right?

I am guessing since GAC's don't apply-your area would not be "in the loop" for GAC changes right?

Nope that's why I said all I can deduce is what we were trained on in comparison to the rumors. Like I said we received training and then were told no one really does it that way so for worry. The rumors though just sound like what I was told in training that's why I said I would say they are just going to what is written but not really followed.

I know a lot of people tend to rely on this thread for accurate info, so I suggest before anyone freaks out from "something they read" on the internet about GAC changing-wait and see what changes. At this point rumors are just that "rumors". One Cm (who works in the area) is not aware of any changes yet. I would think that IF their are changes CF would stop by and update Sue.

If you can't wait-you can always ask a bus driver;) LOL

I know a lot of people tend to rely on this thread for accurate info, so I suggest before anyone freaks out from "something they read" on the internet about GAC changing-wait and see what changes. At this point rumors are just that "rumors". One Cm (who works in the area) is not aware of any changes yet. I would think that IF their are changes CF would stop by and update Sue.

:)

True rumors are rumors until something actually happens. I hope no one was trying to take what I was saying as fact. I was just saying it does make sense but is still just a rumor.

In the past I have been given a written pass with a return time which with the current situation would probably be useless for my situation as I am trying to get a ride in between interpreted shows that are scheduled for specific times. Seems like the return time was always falls into the time of the interpreted show. Most CM will look at the schedule and readjust the time or have me just go ahead but some have the attitude of oh well, to bad. Only a problem for people that have more than one accommodation needed.

In the past I have been given a written pass with a return time which with the current situation would probably be useless for my situation as I am trying to get a ride in between interpreted shows that are scheduled for specific times. Seems like the return time was always falls into the time of the interpreted show. Most CM will look at the schedule and readjust the time or have me just go ahead but some have the attitude of oh well, to bad. Only a problem for people that have more than one accommodation needed.

I never thought about your exact situation. YOU should get cut some slack, trying to get on rides in between shows that have an interpreter, IMHO. The new system, where you book rides in advance of your trip, the FP+ thing, might work really well for you. And it might work very well for many of us who have been using GACs. I use a GAC for my son, for several reasons. I think many of us have more than one issue to deal with, it gets complicated and we only get to "tour" for 1/2 day at best. (my adult DS has autism, Downs, non-verbal, depth perception vision issues that make going downstairs extremely hard, had his ankles fused, tires very easily, toileting disasters, and sometimes touches people when he should notetc) that said, under new rules, who knows if he would qualify for a GAC in the future. His next trip is WDW in late Sept, so we will find out!

The perception that most of us using GACs get to get on ride after ride makes me nuts. That might be true for some, but for many of us, could not be further from the truth! We have gone in a park for the day, and only been able to ride 2 attractions, before leaving for the day.

I saw more apparent abuse when I was at DL. Hopefully, this will fix the problem, but it may be a bumpy road while people adjust.

Not that this adds a whole lot to the discussion but we had to renew YDD's today and they are still just issuing for 2 weeks because they know some change is coming but they don't know when so they are sticking to the 2 week window for the time being. They also said they don't know what the specifics of the changes are. I have been considering writing to ask since if there are significant changes then I will need to go over them with YDD in advance so she knows what to expect.

Here is my guess as to what the changes will be:

All GACs will be associated with your ticket or wrist band.

At all attractions with FP+, you will have to scan your card or wristband.

Your picture will show up on the CMs iPod touch or iPad.

You will use the FP+ line (if that's what your need is, but it will of course communicate the need to the CM).

You will have to wait the length of that standby line prior to going on the next attraction. This avoids having to issue return time passes and people having to leave and come back, as many of these people may be able to do the normal amount of walking, but return time passes would add extra walking for them.

At the next attraction, if you have not waited long enough, the FP+ will light up red, if you have it will be green. No one but you and the CM will know that you have a GAC, this eliminating the nasty looks from other guests. This also makes it less obvious that there's something different, so it will reduce abuse and the picture will prevent it from being handed off to someone else.

Again, this is only a guess, but it is an educated guess. Universal Studios (at least in California) already does the scan the pass and you can't go on another ride for the length of the standby line. It does not get scanned at shows, since there are show times that can't be avoided, especially with things like interpreted shows as a PP mentioned. Yes, they have fewer rides, but the system works well. So, this is my educated guess as to how the system will change.

This could have even more of an advantage at Disney, because they wouldn't necessarily be limited to predefined stamps. Say someone has issues with panic attacks when too many people are too close in to them. They decide to go on TOT, right now they have to inform the person loading the room about this. With this new system, they could be automatically alerted to this, saving what could be a very uncomfortable situation or an embarrassing one having to explain this.

So, again, it's an educated guess and should not be taken as definite, but I would say that I would not be surprised at all if this is what happens.

I would not be surprised to see something similar to what you posted, cmwade77
I had made similar guesses in another thread.

They could follow the same general idea at WDW and Disneyland, but would have to make a few changes because of differences in theparls.

Disneyland doesn't have RFID scanners and I have heard they are not getting Fastpass Plus for the foreseeable future. But, they could work the same way with bar codes and could do scanning with iPod touches.

I would not be surprised to see something similar to what you posted, cmwade77
I had made similar guesses in another thread.

They could follow the same general idea at WDW and Disneyland, but would have to make a few changes because of differences in theparls.

Disneyland doesn't have RFID scanners and I have heard they are not getting Fastpass Plus for the foreseeable future. But, they could work the same way with bar codes and could do scanning with iPod touches.

Yes, my thoughts were compiled from several post that I see as most likely and based on my experiences in other parks and how their assistance cards have changed. But my thoughts are mostly based on experience. In all honesty, I hope that my predictions are correct as it would be fair to everyone, reduce abuse and make it easier on those of us that need the GACs.

As for FP+, I hope you are right, but out here (I live about 15
Minutes from Disneyland), we hear rumors that Disneyland will get FP+ approximately a year to 2 years after WDW is fully up and running to give them time to make adjustments there. But if that does happen, I will predict that it won't be able to work the same way here.

My thoughts are compiled from several post that I see as most likely and based on my experiences in other parks and how their assistance cards have changed.

As for FP+, I hope you are right, but out here (I live about 15
Minutes from Disneyland), we hear rumors that Disneyland will get FP+ approximately a year to 2 years after WDW is fully up and running to give them time to make adjustments there. But if that does happen, I will predict that it won't be able to work the same way here.
That's the part that seems a bit up on the air since it doesn't seem to be moving as quickly/smoothly at WDW as planned.

I was at the MK on Monday. My son's GAC was still within the 2 week period (We got it last week.)

I was a bit miffed when it was our turn at Guest Services and the first thing I was asked if I needed a GAC for my son. She had the paper in hand and was ready to go. But that wasn't why we were there (his GAC is good til Sunday). I think I took her by surprise, she wasn't expecting a question that was not GAC related.

The last two Monday's ds had his new GAC, but we haven't had to use it. Last Monday we went to eat lunch and play the Pirate's Adventure game. This week we went for breakfast at a resort, saw some of the Long Lost Friends, got a LeFou's Brew and headed home.

I have not heard anything about more changes coming. I hope if there are changes, that they are well thought out and not something rushed into.

I never thought about your exact situation. YOU should get cut some slack, trying to get on rides in between shows that have an interpreter, IMHO. The new system, where you book rides in advance of your trip, the FP+ thing, might work really well for you. And it might work very well for many of us who have been using GACs.
Actually it probably would not only because the schedule for the interpreted shows is only sent to us the week prior to our visit. As I understand it, it is no set until the Wednesday before the week. It can be changed or things added if requested by a deaf person who is there for limited days or for special events in the parks.

We were back at the MK yesterday. Once again we had an excellent experience getting my son's GAC. There are still no changes. It was dated til Aug 4th.

The place sure was hopping though. Each counter space had a cm. The queue was lined up out the door. Dh ended up waiting with ds in the air conditioning while I stood outside in line. Had I gone with just my son, he wouldn't have been able to wait there.

I couldn't help overhear other guests. The man at the counter next to us was trying to get a GAC for a mobility issue and he was being recommended to rent a wheel chair. He was none to happy and the cm held his ground.

We went on 3 attractions and none of them were taking the GAC (It was the middle of the afternoon, or perhaps they don't typically take a GAC there?) We went to the Tiki Room, Country Bear Jamboree and the Laugh Floor.

We went on 3 attractions and none of them were taking the GAC (It was the middle of the afternoon, or perhaps they don't typically take a GAC there?) We went to the Tiki Room, Country Bear Jamboree and the Laugh Floor.
I would not expect any of these to take a GAC as they are shows not rides. You are only admitted at the start of the show. The GAC here would only be useful for seating for visual or hearing issues.

Talking Hands said:
I would not expect any of these to take a GAC as they are shows not rides. You are only admitted at the start of the show. The GAC here would only be useful for seating for visual or hearing issues.

And you could use a GAC for an alternate waiting area at Laugh Floor... not sure about Tiki Room (I think there too, but not positive) and I have NO idea about Country Bears.

We have used the GAC at all three of these. It is not just for visual/hearing issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter