Fun Disney Sewing projects

DisneyFairytale

DIS Veteran
Do we have any professional sewers in here? Im thinking of starting this up as a new idea, something fresh and trying to see if there are some Disney type projects I could out together? totes, bags, shifts...anything? Im absolutely useless and unsure if its something I could start doing or working on as a new ambition. Would love to see some projects if any of you have or are making/sewing something together.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

I sewed two black evening bags for our last cruise. They were fun, easy, and a heckova lot less expensive than buying one. Unfortunately, other than the fact the cruise was Disney, the design had nothing to do with it, lol.

I sewed two black evening bags for our last cruise. They were fun, easy, and a heckova lot less expensive than buying one. Unfortunately, other than the fact the cruise was Disney, the design had nothing to do with it, lol.

Yea? it sounds like it must have been fun :) Just bought a sewing machine so I'm hoping to be able to come up with some fun ideas.

I'm a very basic sewer. I've made a few tote bags, reworked some panels into valances, and made a few easy peasy dresses for my daughter. I have a friend who quilts. She makes AMAZING blankets!

Have fun!

I'm a very basic sewer. I've made a few tote bags, reworked some panels into valances, and made a few easy peasy dresses for my daughter. I have a friend who quilts. She makes AMAZING blankets!

Have fun!
How fun! I just bought the sewing machine last night so looking forwards to going to look at fabrics this afternoon. I work in a hospital so I just got the idea through a co-worker to try to make my own Disney scrubs :banana: hoping I can make it happen. I know absolutely nothing about sewing so going to spend some time sticking to pillow cases and over various little things :rolleyes1 hoep I don't lose an eye doing it :rotfl:

I'm going to pop this over to the arts/crafts section since we have a few more members on that forum that sew... :)

Congrats on getting your first machine.. I have been sewing for years, and actually used to teach some classes, and judge for 4-H... Check out your local cooperative extension agency.. They sometimes have sewing classes, as well as literature you can pick up.. Also check the sewing machine stores.. I knew the one here, Kays, used to offer beginning classes

Also the public library is a great source for books.. The Vogue sewing book is wonderful and there is usually tons of great beginner books from Singer that cover a specific topic..

A few tips to get you started..
  • Get a good pair of sissors. Ginger is my favorte
  • Good thread. Gutterman is in my opion the best. Coats and Clarks is cheap but it frays and breaks more readerly.
  • Good needles. - Schmetz are one of the best..

The Singer name is just that, and is on everything.. Unfortently a name that used to stand for the standards of quality is now most of the time sub-par..

Last bit of advice i can give.. Start simple, and most importantly HAVE FUN.. :cool1: If you hit a wall feel free to PM me or ask the people at your local Joann fabrics.. Sewing is a very rewording endeavorer and is becoming a lost art..

Best of luck.. BTW here is some pics of the bags i made for our Disney trip this Dec..

IMAG0103.jpg

IMAG0104.jpg

IMAG0105.jpg

IMAG0106.jpg

It's no problem... sometimes it's easiest to place things in the "living room" and than we can get it where it needs to be! :)

Looks like you have found some more great info here! :)

Here is my first ever sewing projects...with the aid of youtube of course :woohoo:
There were a couple spots I could have done better, things I didnt think of looking out for, but here it is. Pretty excited on first attempt!

That little yellow lip, is really sparkly

:cool1:

I love to sew and I have made a handful of items for my girls. I am trying to get the courage up to make some Disney themed items to place on Esty. I hope I have posted the pictures below correctly.

100_2510.jpg

I had the letter "A" embrodier inside the Mickey head.

I made my girls each a pair of pants and the shirt to wear on the plane trip down to Disney.
103_2085.jpg

103_2173.jpg

Those are most adorable. Im heading out this afternoon to get some material to try to make a couple more Disney sewing projects. Those pants posted, were adorable!

Hi there...

Please Please Please check out the disboutique boards here on the dis...

You will be in AWE of what you'll see and LEARN! They are the most helpful bunch there...

Trust me, you won't regret checking it out...

Also wanted to mention checking out YouCanMakeThis.com They sell ebooks (patterns) I have numerous pattern thru there. By author, look up Scientific Seamstress (CarlaC). I already knew how to sew when I found this site. It took me to a whole new level

Good luck and most of all HAVE FUN!!

Hi there...

Please Please Please check out the disboutique boards here on the dis...

You will be in AWE of what you'll see and LEARN! They are the most helpful bunch there...

Trust me, you won't regret checking it out...

Also wanted to mention checking out YouCanMakeThis.com They sell ebooks (patterns) I have numerous pattern thru there. By author, look up Scientific Seamstress (CarlaC). I already knew how to sew when I found this site. It took me to a whole new level

Good luck and most of all HAVE FUN!!

Oh that's right! completely forgot about the link!! thanks for the reminder!

My mom just gave me her Brother Innovis(sp) sewing machine so I can embroider with the pre load Disney characters. I am a novice sewer too but I just made my daughter a summer dress with some Ariel fabric. The front came out better.:lmao: so I definatley need more practice.

I will post a picture later.

PS: Where did one of the PPs find that fabric with the subtle mickey heads? I love it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter