Frustrated!

Elephantay

DIS Veteran
This upcoming trip will be our first one since booking a park is required. We have had so much trouble with this! Typically, we book our dining, knowing if it's in a park we'd have to be there for that, if nothing else.
We like to get up early or take it slow based on how we feel, but have always had a plan for the day. This park reservation rule has had us go over and over our plans so many times and it feels so stressful. We've had to go through each park and decide what we want to do to determine how long or how many periods of time ( mornings, afternoons, evenings) we want to be there. Then there's the unknown of boarding groups and LL availability.
We have PH+ tickets, 4 adults ( well, two 19 year olds)...
Am I missing something? Making it harder than it needs to be somehow? Is anyone else feeling this?!?
Any advice would be welcome :)

It sounds cliche, but just relax. You cannot hop before 2pm, so just pick two parks. One to start your day at and another to hop to later. There are only two rides with boarding groups and the way the system works, they are unlikely to overlap. And if the LL is unavailable for something you want to ride, there is always the standby line. Make a plan based on those two parks and then if you want to change on the fly and hop somewhere else, go for it. That's what we did this past weekend and had a great, stress free time

First things first, if it feels stressful, take a step back. This is supposed to be a fun trip!
You have park hoppers, so there's already a big chunk of freedom.

If you wake up one day and decide you don't want to start at DHS, that you'd rather have a slow morning and go on a safari at AK instead, just check and see if you can switch your park reservation. I have done that several times, and haven't ever been locked out of switching parks. Even on a trip over new year's eve.

If you use Genie+ you aren't booking any fast passes in advance, so if you switch parks you're not losing anything like that.
Dining reservations can now be cancelled two hours in advance without penalty instead of 24, which means you can ditch those plans easier if you decide you want to do something else, and it also means you can try and pick up a different one when other people drop theirs.

It is so easy to get in a mental space that you're trapped by your park reservation, but that's not necessarily the case.

Our trips have been a lot more relaxed and fun because we take them less seriously.

I hope you have the best trip ever!!

It sounds cliche, but just relax. You cannot hop before 2pm, so just pick two parks. One to start your day at and another to hop to later. There are only two rides with boarding groups and the way the system works, they are unlikely to overlap. And if the LL is unavailable for something you want to ride, there is always the standby line. Make a plan based on those two parks and then if you want to change on the fly and hop somewhere else, go for it. That's what we did this past weekend and had a great, stress free time
I think that's part of the issue for us...committing to two parks- with kids who may not want to get up and get moving- and having to scan into the first park before we can hop. We are okay with the later in the day plans. We've chosen dining and know where we want to be at night, as we all prefer parks at night and pools during the day. Thanks for your response!

I think that's part of the issue for us...committing to two parks- with kids who may not want to get up and get moving- and having to scan into the first park before we can hop. We are okay with the later in the day plans. We've chosen dining and know where we want to be at night, as we all prefer parks at night and pools during the day. Thanks for your response!
If you wake up and change your mind you can change your park reservation as long as there is availability and normally that is the case.

I wouldn’t stress about it. It’s different but as others have shared it’s not too difficult to work with.

You will almost always be able to just switch your park reservation if you change your mind but don't want to have to tap into the first park before you hop. I've only seen reservations sell out around holidays and spring break. And even then, usually only MK and HS sell out unless it's VERY busy.

We went during an incredibly busy time, and had no issue making changes on the fly - one night we just knew we wanted to sleep in the next morning, so changed our park plans for the next day in the app with no issues. The benefit of G+ is it really doesn't punish you for last minute changes like this as everyone is on the same playing field for rides. Dining is another issue but those have also gotten so much easier to grab with the ability for people to cancel the same day now, so you can usually find spots where you want to eat except for maybe the hardest ones to get (BOG, CRT, etc.)

It doesn't feel like it, I know, but it really is ok to just let it go and figure it out a bit as you go if you need to make changes! Promise!

We feel it too--- so much that we haven't been back since the park reservations requirement went into effect. We used to go at least once a year. It is good to know that people haven't had problems changing them at WDW.

We have been to Disneyland with the reservation system and restrictions on hopping and at that time virtual queues for ROTR and Webslingers and we hated it. It was shortly before Genie+ started so there was no FP at all. It was extremely stressful and we haven't been back since-- and we used to go to both WDW and DLR at least once a year. There wasn't availability to change at DLR--- our friends who joined us for a day wanted to add an extra day and there was no availability for park reservations for either park. I feel your stress. Hopefully what others have said about WDW being easy to change will help.

First things first, if it feels stressful, take a step back. This is supposed to be a fun trip!
You have park hoppers, so there's already a big chunk of freedom.

If you wake up one day and decide you don't want to start at DHS, that you'd rather have a slow morning and go on a safari at AK instead, just check and see if you can switch your park reservation. I have done that several times, and haven't ever been locked out of switching parks. Even on a trip over new year's eve.

If you use Genie+ you aren't booking any fast passes in advance, so if you switch parks you're not losing anything like that.
Dining reservations can now be cancelled two hours in advance without penalty instead of 24, which means you can ditch those plans easier if you decide you want to do something else, and it also means you can try and pick up a different one when other people drop theirs.

It is so easy to get in a mental space that you're trapped by your park reservation, but that's not necessarily the case.

Our trips have been a lot more relaxed and fun because we take them less seriously.

I hope you have the best trip ever!!
Thanks so much...
Typically we LOVE planning for trips. Its harder now as you not only commit to dining ( which we love to do) but parks, with "kids" who are now four years older than our last trip and who say they ( rightly) don't know what they want on a given day. A full park day, or only a few hours, etc.

I didn't realize you could switch your park option the day off- or that dining changes were now only two hours in advance. THANK YOU- those are game changers, especially changing the parks. I had heard that people needed to go over to the first park, scan in then leave and head to their second park...

We went during an incredibly busy time, and had no issue making changes on the fly - one night we just knew we wanted to sleep in the next morning, so changed our park plans for the next day in the app with no issues. The benefit of G+ is it really doesn't punish you for last minute changes like this as everyone is on the same playing field for rides. Dining is another issue but those have also gotten so much easier to grab with the ability for people to cancel the same day now, so you can usually find spots where you want to eat except for maybe the hardest ones to get (BOG, CRT, etc.)

It doesn't feel like it, I know, but it really is ok to just let it go and figure it out a bit as you go if you need to make changes! Promise!
Thanks-
We have been fortunate to go to WDW many times, and being able to just make some special dining reservations then decide as we go has been so perfect for our family. We used to get up early and go to a park, leave when it's too hot or crowded for some pool time, then head back out at night. If the lines are too long we skip things and try later. Not having early risers now :( is trickier.
I appreciate all of these responses and feel better knowing we can change it up when we are there. I feel much better about it and can stop pressuring my boys lol.

I get where you’re coming from. As “the planner” over the years we’ve been trained for Disney that you got to do X, Y, Z for the trip to run smooth and maximize your experience. Now it’s like do steps A-M then re-do them after you book your dining, then re-shuffle them again while you’re there based on weather, special events, what your party wants etc. I think we just have to adjust to the fact that things won’t go absolutely smooth and we just got to deal - but it’s tough after all these years. Plus cancelling dining reservation with 2h notice is cool and all but not practical if you’re planning on hitting those signature dining places during your trip. I don’t see it being very easy to re-book 220 or BOG during same trip after a cancellation - so dining actually boxes you in more than anything else imo.

If your two 19 year olds don't want to get up in the morning, just go about your day and meet up with them later on. Make your ADRs for 4 as there is no penalty if only 2 of you show up. We planned everything for our last trip with DH, DD, DSIL and their 2 year old. DSIL is in a wheelchair and our grandson is in a stroller so plans often changed. I was able to keep things running smoothly by adjusting experiences, ADRs and times on the app. Relax and enjoy your trip.

I get where you’re coming from. As “the planner” over the years we’ve been trained for Disney that you got to do X, Y, Z for the trip to run smooth and maximize your experience. Now it’s like do steps A-M then re-do them after you book your dining, then re-shuffle them again while you’re there based on weather, special events, what your party wants etc. I think we just have to adjust to the fact that things won’t go absolutely smooth and we just got to deal - but it’s tough after all these years. Plus cancelling dining reservation with 2h notice is cool and all but not practical if you’re planning on hitting those signature dining places during your trip. I don’t see it being very easy to re-book 220 or BOG during same trip after a cancellation - so dining actually boxes you in more than anything else imo.
Luckily we only have two dining favorites and have them already booked. We are planning to eat more counter service this trip as boys eat so often and will likely be off on their own sometimes.
Usually we plan a ton- happily- then scrap things as we go or tweak and stay longer at a pool, etc.
I'm missing that chill Disney vibe I always tell people is possible. Time to remind myself I guess. Thanks for the comments..

If your two 19 year olds don't want to get up in the morning, just go about your day and meet up with them later on. Make your ADRs for 4 as there is no penalty if only 2 of you show up. We planned everything for our last trip with DH, DD, DSIL and their 2 year old. DSIL is in a wheelchair and our grandson is in a stroller so plans often changed. I was able to keep things running smoothly by adjusting experiences, ADRs and times on the app. Relax and enjoy your trip.
If they don't get up and get to the first park- I'm now hearing that they can switch it, and make our second park their first park, correct? Don't need to go to scan in to the first one?

This shouldn’t change your dining reservation plans too much.

Unless you’re going during a time which reservations “sell” out, which isn’t all that often, just make your ADRs as usual.

Once you make an ADR, make a park reservation for whatever park you need to if the ADR is before 2. If it’s after 2, it doesn’t matter too much.

Nothing changes about needing to be in the park that you have a reservation at. So now you just make a reservation for that park versus just knowing it mentally.

And like people said, you can generally change your reservations unless you’re going at an insane time.

Another potential tip if it won't up your stress level, the parks that book up first are MK and HS (even though it has been becoming much less frequent lately). Since I like flexibility, I'll usually book those for the majority of the days because it is easier to switch to Epcot or AK the day of/before.

If they don't get up and get to the first park- I'm now hearing that they can switch it, and make our second park their first park, correct? Don't need to go to scan in to the first one?
Correct, as long as the second park (which you now want to become their "first park") has open reservations to switch their existing reservations to. If it does have open reservations, just switch their park reservations to the park you want, and they only need to scan in to their (new) first park.

Am I missing something? Making it harder than it needs to be somehow? Is anyone else feeling this?!?
The only thing you are missing is the excitement about going to Disney World. :sad1: You have to find your happy!

Thanks-
We have been fortunate to go to WDW many times, and being able to just make some special dining reservations then decide as we go has been so perfect for our family. We used to get up early and go to a park, leave when it's too hot or crowded for some pool time, then head back out at night. If the lines are too long we skip things and try later. Not having early risers now :( is trickier.
I appreciate all of these responses and feel better knowing we can change it up when we are there. I feel much better about it and can stop pressuring my boys lol.
And this is your advantage. Once you are through the gate it will be familiar territory and you'll have a good time. It's all my friends & family who have never been or not in decades that I tell them don't go. Give the Mouse a few years to get their stuff together.

Luckily we only have two dining favorites and have them already booked. We are planning to eat more counter service this trip as boys eat so often and will likely be off on their own sometimes.
Usually we plan a ton- happily- then scrap things as we go or tweak and stay longer at a pool, etc.
I'm missing that chill Disney vibe I always tell people is possible. Time to remind myself I guess. Thanks for the comments..
This is where we are at. The park reservations has made ADRs not worth it for us. I don't want the hustle and bustle to get somewhere just for food. Since park reservations we book one or two our entire week. And we might pick up more while there because the closer it gets it seems more become available, even the day of. The food is not worth the stress it now brings, and not losing so much dining time is a plus for doing other stuff. June trip we have on so far and likely that will be it until we get there.

I get it. All the changes can feel overwhelming, and also a bit limiting. I was so stressed about it before our last trip - which was our first trip with park reservations/hopping limitations/Genie+. But I will say it's a lot easier in practice than it sounds in theory.

Having hoppers gives you a ton more flexibility already, so just choose two parks for the day and make your ADRs accordingly. If you're unsure of what park to make your reservations for, make them for MK or HS. DAS and Epcot are almost always going to have availability and you'll be able to switch to either of those if you change your mind - but changing from either of those MK/HS might prove to be a little tougher.

I don't love Genie+ the way I loved fastpass, mostly because I liked being able to plan out my fastpasses ahead of time so that I was using my time efficiently. That said, Genie+ is pretty user-friendly. Watching all the Genie+ youtube videos ahead of time had me entirely too anxious. A friend of mine who went before us said, it's easier in practice. And he was right. You'll figure it out when you get there.

This upcoming trip will be our first one since booking a park is required. We have had so much trouble with this! Typically, we book our dining, knowing if it's in a park we'd have to be there for that, if nothing else.
We like to get up early or take it slow based on how we feel, but have always had a plan for the day. This park reservation rule has had us go over and over our plans so many times and it feels so stressful. We've had to go through each park and decide what we want to do to determine how long or how many periods of time ( mornings, afternoons, evenings) we want to be there. Then there's the unknown of boarding groups and LL availability.
We have PH+ tickets, 4 adults ( well, two 19 year olds)...

I think the easiest thing would be to think of it as one park a day with a backup. If I book an ADR I'm only booking it because I'm spending that day or half that day at that park and want that specific experience (like Blue Bayou or Coral Reef). Otherwise we don't book ADRs, we mobile order.

We absolutely love mobile order because it allows you to order when you're in line and eat when you get hungry. It gives us so much more flexibility because then the rides come first. We check wait time and area and then just choose the area we're going to spend some time in.

Our plan is which park, then the rides we absolutely must ride at that park, and then any area we need to shop in (ie DL Pooh Corner for me), then the backup park we'll head to if it gets too crowded or we get bored.

Everything else is flexible so I think doing ADRs first might be what's causing your stress.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter