From WDW to DL With Love - January 06, 2011 part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jet Blue is open for January 5 today for anyone who is looking to book a flight with them. I got mine. Had a $25 voucher so it was a good price.

Am I correct in thinking that Southwest is the best to fly on if we have 2 bags each? We need to get back from LA , or possibly Phoenix to Orlando after the cruise, hence all the bags!!! Phoenix is non stop, and we could go there via San Diego and Tucson and spend a few days at each place.

Jet Blue is open for January 5 today for anyone who is looking to book a flight with them. I got mine. Had a $25 voucher so it was a good price.

you in VA? i forget though i think you told me, sorry! I'm up near BWI. they dont fly from there do they?
Sherri

you in VA? i forget though i think you told me, sorry! I'm up near BWI. they dont fly from there do they?
Sherri

JB does fly out of BWI...but not to Orlando (or anywhere in FL). They do fly to BWI-LAX, so you could use JB for your return leg.

Am I correct in thinking that Southwest is the best to fly on if we have 2 bags each? We need to get back from LA , or possibly Phoenix to Orlando after the cruise, hence all the bags!!! Phoenix is non stop, and we could go there via San Diego and Tucson and spend a few days at each place.

THAT sounds like a really good plan. I LOVE Tucson and San Diego. Phoenix, not so much, but Santa Fe is nice. I also love SWA! Can't go wrong with them.

Sherri

Jet Blue does not fly to Orlando from BWI right now but they have flights from both Dulles and Reagan National.

I am about 20 minutes from Dulles. Southwest ends all nonstop flights between Dulles and Orlando next month. All their Dulles-Orlando flights will then be routed through Chicago. I have no need to go to Chicago to get to Orlando. If SW still had nonstop flights I would have booked my outgoing with them long ago instead of waiting around for JetBlue.

If I chose SWA out of Baltimore it would have taken me several hours to get to BWI via public transportation. I have a car but I am not going to park it at an airport for three weeks.

I'm not looking for a return flight, that will be a reward flight on SWA out of SNA (Orange County) which will be booked as soon as SWA opens up booking for January 24.

THAT sounds like a really good plan. I LOVE Tucson and San Diego. Phoenix, not so much, but Santa Fe is nice. I also love SWA! Can't go wrong with them.

Yes, we want to go to Santa Fe. I looked at the weather for February, and it is a little cool, hence our reason for going back to Orlando. We will just have to get there some other time. We are staying in the US for up to 8 weeks, so will want the chance of warmer weather in Orlando. Unfortunately for Tucson it is peak time and everything is very expensive or we might have stayed there for longer! Orlando can be so reasonable really. I think we should get 4 weeks in Orlando.

90days till at Kidani! I was able to get a Ohana for Jan 3. I saw those Disney shoes in a nursing book too. Wonder if I can take it off as a work expense! Hoping to go see Toy Story with hubby on Wed.

Yes, we want to go to Santa Fe. I looked at the weather for February, and it is a little cool, hence our reason for going back to Orlando. We will just have to get there some other time. We are staying in the US for up to 8 weeks, so will want the chance of warmer weather in Orlando. Unfortunately for Tucson it is peak time and everything is very expensive or we might have stayed there for longer! Orlando can be so reasonable really. I think we should get 4 weeks in Orlando.

With 4 weeks in Orlando, do you stay on property or rent a villa or house? I am so tempted to go back to Florida.

With 4 weeks in Orlando, do you stay on property or rent a villa or house? I am so tempted to go back to Florida.

If we had any DVC points left then we would use some of those at first, but we will be renting a pool home and trying for a good rate. Well this last February we managed it and it was great having a pool to ourselves. For us we are saving on heating and electricity at home during the winter, so every little helps, and it makes use of one airfare. Apart from the cruise we live very cheaply too, not eating out etc. I think you have to look at it in a different way when you stay for longer - more like living there. Once we have done the parks we just relax and swim and generally do nothing!!! Our last 3 trips over have been for 6 weeks, some cruising weeks, some DVC, some in poor rental homes. Our annual travel insurance limits us to 8 weeks for any one trip otherwise we might have stayed longer. We can only do 90 days anyway on the Via Waiver, or 6 months if we go the the bother of getting a normal visa, but no need for that.:lmao:

If we had any DVC points left then we would use some of those at first, but we will be renting a pool home and trying for a good rate. Well this last February we managed it and it was great having a pool to ourselves. For us we are saving on heating and electricity at home during the winter, so every little helps, and it makes use of one airfare. Apart from the cruise we live very cheaply too, not eating out etc. I think you have to look at it in a different way when you stay for longer - more like living there. Once we have done the parks we just relax and swim and generally do nothing!!! Our last 3 trips over have been for 6 weeks, some cruising weeks, some DVC, some in poor rental homes. Our annual travel insurance limits us to 8 weeks for any one trip otherwise we might have stayed longer. We can only do 90 days anyway on the Via Waiver, or 6 months if we go the the bother of getting a normal visa, but no need for that.:lmao:

Geezer here, too, but I don't save anything at home when I'm away because DH is home needing heat, lights and cable. I agree about looking at it differently - I spent 2 weeks off property in a townhome last year - never went near Disney but it was still wonderful! I volunteer at Give Kids the World, hang out at the pool, cook, eat, work puzzles, scrapbook, etc. The time passed Awfully quickly :laughing: I recommend the World Market in Lakeland for fresh fruit and veggies - it's pretty popular with snowbirds. I'd like to go for about 3 months. In my dreams.

I couldn't get the subscribe to work so I am hoping this will get me subscribed to the new thread again.

Hi everyone.

Geezer here, too, but I don't save anything at home when I'm away because DH is home needing heat, lights and cable. I agree about looking at it differently - I spent 2 weeks off property in a townhome last year - never went near Disney but it was still wonderful! I volunteer at Give Kids the World, hang out at the pool, cook, eat, work puzzles, scrapbook, etc. The time passed Awfully quickly :laughing: I recommend the World Market in Lakeland for fresh fruit and veggies - it's pretty popular with snowbirds. I'd like to go for about 3 months. In my dreams.

That was what we were supposed to be doing, but because I had acute pancreatitis last December I was having problem getting travel insurance cover. I was so excited for it all to be covered(at a bit of extra cost), and the fact that the annual policy actually covered 60 days rather than the 45 we had before, I never even thought about it not being 90 days!!!:lmao::lmao: I think we will have to go to individual trip insurance to be able to go for 3 months, and that can cost the same as an annual policy.

Thanks for the market recommendation. We always mean to get out and about and I have a list of places, but the longer we are there the lazier we become!! Lakeland is a place I want to visit, Bok Tower, Winter Gardens (or is it Park, or both?). This trip we were meant to stay over on the West side, but because of the time of year we decided to cut it short and go back to Orlando. However we were there for 6 weeks this last Feb/March and it was COLD the WHOLE time. I know nothing is guaranteed at that time of year, but come on? The locals were very fed up I can tell you! ;) A record winter. :sad2: The hottest time was when we were travelling back to the airport - got in a sweat getting the luggage from the villa to the car!:rotfl2:

This last trip many of the homes/condos I looked at were already taken by snowbirds, you could tell as 3 or more months were blocked out on the availability calendars.

That was what we were supposed to be doing, but because I had acute pancreatitis last December I was having problem getting travel insurance cover. I was so excited for it all to be covered(at a bit of extra cost), and the fact that the annual policy actually covered 60 days rather than the 45 we had before, I never even thought about it not being 90 days!!!:lmao::lmao: I think we will have to go to individual trip insurance to be able to go for 3 months, and that can cost the same as an annual policy.

Thanks for the market recommendation. We always mean to get out and about and I have a list of places, but the longer we are there the lazier we become!! Lakeland is a place I want to visit, Bok Tower, Winter Gardens (or is it Park, or both?). This trip we were meant to stay over on the West side, but because of the time of year we decided to cut it short and go back to Orlando. However we were there for 6 weeks this last Feb/March and it was COLD the WHOLE time. I know nothing is guaranteed at that time of year, but come on? The locals were very fed up I can tell you! ;) A record winter. :sad2: The hottest time was when we were travelling back to the airport - got in a sweat getting the luggage from the villa to the car!:rotfl2:

This last trip many of the homes/condos I looked at were already taken by snowbirds, you could tell as 3 or more months were blocked out on the availability calendars.

Don't miss visiting Winter Park. Make sure you take the scenic boat tour. It is located at the end of E Morse Blvd. on Lake Osceola. The tour guides are great, very knowledgeable about Winter Park. The Morse Museum Tiffany exhibit is fantastic, make sure you look up at the stained glass window in the entrance hall. Walk along Park Avenue, there are great shops and lots of sidewalk restaurants to choose from. If you are there on Saturday go to the farmers market. The fine art museum on Rollins College campus is also worth your time to visit. So much to do and see in Winter Park, but you won't find anything Disney, it is worlds away and very laid back and relaxing. I hope you put it on your to do list. I promise you will be very glad you spent time in Winter Park.

Don't miss visiting Winter Park. Make sure you take the scenic boat tour. It is located at the end of E Morse Blvd. on Lake Osceola. The tour guides are great, very knowledgeable about Winter Park. The Morse Museum Tiffany exhibit is fantastic, make sure you look up at the stained glass window in the entrance hall. Walk along Park Avenue, there are great shops and lots of sidewalk restaurants to choose from. If you are there on Saturday go to the farmers market. The fine art museum on Rollins College campus is also worth your time to visit. So much to do and see in Winter Park, but you won't find anything Disney, it is worlds away and very laid back and relaxing. I hope you put it on your to do list. I promise you will be very glad you spent time in Winter Park.

Thank you. That is just what I wanted to know. We are happy with no Disney - there is a whole world out there.

I just kept forgetting which it was, Park or Gardens!!!;)

Thank you. That is just what I wanted to know. We are happy with no Disney - there is a whole world out there.

I just kept forgetting which it was, Park or Gardens!!!;)

You are welcome. Another little tidbit about Winter Park is its dog friendly environment. All the shops have water bowls and sometimes treat bowls right outside their shops and dogs can sit with you at the sidewalk restaurants. Can be kind of a shock the first time you see a little dog sitting in its own chair at the table. Not to worry though, WP has leash laws and we have never ever seen a misbehaving pup. I added no Disney because on these boards you never know who will only do Disney related things and I didn't want anyone to go Winter Park and expect it to be like Orlando or Kissimmee.

You are welcome. Another little tidbit about Winter Park is its dog friendly environment. All the shops have water bowls and sometimes treat bowls right outside their shops and dogs can sit with you at the sidewalk restaurants. Can be kind of a shock the first time you see a little dog sitting in its own chair at the table. Not to worry though, WP has leash laws and we have never ever seen a misbehaving pup. I added no Disney because on these boards you never know who will only do Disney related things and I didn't want anyone to go Winter Park and expect it to be like Orlando or Kissimmee.

Thanks again. I do know what you mean about people only doing Disney related things. I think they miss out a little, but we all have choices and likes and dislikes I guess. We didn't get 'into' Disney and WDW etc until about 10 years ago, so have been all over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter