Formal night vs Theme night

FigmentSpark

DIS Veteran
We are on the Dec 23 Odyssey sailing. I sent an email to RCCL asking what night Formal/Dress your best night was. They replied with this answer, which confused me, because I didn't know there were theme nights.

1701032238124.png

Does this mean our formal nights are actually theme nights? Don't bring suits and dresses, but do bring costumes? Or do you read this that on day 2 and 6 we will have formal nights, but on the other days, we will have theme and can (should???) bring costumes?

Do people even do costumes, like pirate night on DCL, where some go all out and others just wear shorts? Or is it just background theming?

Formal nights are the "dress your best" nights so that's where you can dress up if you want.

The only theme night I remember is Caribbean night, and the servers wore Caribbean/Hawaiian shirts. Completely optional for the rest of us.

I've never seen the other themes outside of the dance parties in the promenade.

Panicking over the photos! I think I'll buy it and I can do a return before I get on the ship, right? But today is supposedly the last day of the sale.

So, here's the problem... how many photos to get? 100 seems like a lot, but my DCL photo directory had 104 photos in it from our last 7 day cruise. Then again, no character photos, so maybe 50 is enough? It's quite a difference in price.

I think 50 should be ok. You'll just need to get rid of some of the photos, like the ones where they stick tacky designs onto the pics

Yes, I tend to take them all and then can't decide which I like the most when I get home, lol. This will force me to make decisions.

UPDATE:

We had the formal nights on day 2 and 6 (8 day cruise). I wore the same dress, but I had brought a different one "just in case". The other days had themes, but not the ones that shoreside had mentioned and it was only the servers who dressed up for them. We were pretty casual on the other nights. While I tried to wear something nicer each night, my boys, and DH were all in shorts and t-shirts on the non-formal nights. To their credit, though, none of them complained about putting one their suits or standing for photos when I asked.

Because Starvenger asked if I bought the photos, here was our result and experience.

We ended up having 60 photos to choose from. Some were so close to the others that it wasn't too hard to choose 50 out of the 60. I would have liked a few more dining photos, at least on formal night, but they were only around once and it was a casual night for us.

We managed to get to the photo spots early, so we didn't have to stand in line, but I saw quite a few long lines later on.

One thing, the iFly photos that were taken of my kids were not included in the package. That surprised me, as it was an event on the ship, but I guess maybe it's run by someone else. Not sure. Anyway, there is a separate pricing for those photos. You can buy a print (or 3 or 5) in a folio or you can buy a digital download of 30 for $99.99 or all for $149.99. Well, my kids only went once so there were only 10 photos and actually only 4 of one and 6 of the other.

Anyway, I'm a sucker for photos of my kids (even though they're adults, lol), so I bought the downloads. I had hoped they'd throw in the extra 10 photos from my other package, considering I was only getting 10 of the 30 iFly photos, but not deal. Even though they show up in your room the same way, they are not the same package. In fact, I had to select the iFly photos and download them to my phone before I could finalize my 50, or they would double up in to my 50 count (even though I' already paid for them separately). I had to get help to get it completed, as they had to remove the iFly photos from my account once I'd downloaded them.

I got my download email as we were leaving the ship. Everything worked fine.

TIP: Don't wait until the last day to start choosing your favourites and finalizing your downloads. It has to be done at the Focus office (5th floor of the Odyssey) and it gets busy as the cruise winds down. I remember DCL being the same way, but at least, on DCL I was able to buy the package of all the photos, so I didn't take up a screen or time choosing which I would be selecting. Royal doesn't have an "everything" package, so you have to select and finalize your downloads. Once done, you can't change, so everyone waits until the last day to do it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter