For you smokers out there......

ban smoking

• yes

• no

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel much the same as Ben's Mom. I want to avoid smoke on vacation just like I want to avoid asbestos and doggy goo -- it's dirty AND stinky! I also will continue to gripe that Disney refuses to accept that the two groups (smoking and non-) need to be SEPARATED. To me this means if you have to have smoking rooms, so be it. But lump them all together so the smokers on their balconies are not keeping me from enjoying mine. And make the POOLS smoke free -- at least on one side! -- so that I do not have to keep moving and moving and moving all afternoon! Show the two groups "where the line is" and let them gather accordingly. Right now there is just a haphazard mess with smoking rooms scattered everywhere and moveable ashtrays all around the pools... and it seems no matter where I try to sit away from smoke, sooner or later I wind up in a cloud. :(

colleen costello said:
I feel much the same as Ben's Mom. I want to avoid smoke on vacation just like I want to avoid asbestos and doggy goo -- it's dirty AND stinky! I also will continue to gripe that Disney refuses to accept that the two groups (smoking and non-) need to be SEPARATED. To me this means if you have to have smoking rooms, so be it. But lump them all together so the smokers on their balconies are not keeping me from enjoying mine. And make the POOLS smoke free -- at least on one side! -- so that I do not have to keep moving and moving and moving all afternoon! Show the two groups "where the line is" and let them gather accordingly. Right now there is just a haphazard mess with smoking rooms scattered everywhere and moveable ashtrays all around the pools... and it seems no matter where I try to sit away from smoke, sooner or later I wind up in a cloud. :(

Sadly WDW is a follower not a leader. :sad2:

They will sit back on their corporate butts and wait until everyone else bans smoking before they act.

Smoking should be completely banned in all public places. Many states have laws like this in place as we speak. No smoking on balconies, in parks, in rooms, anywhere within 100 feet of a building, period.

Also, from the looks of this poll over 70% favor just that, a ban.

Sammie called out my post where I stated that there is no such thing as a considerate smoker. That may be a little harsh but don't think you are a considerate smoker if you are smoking anywhere near other peolpe. Smoke in your own car with the windows closed for all I care but stop doing it on balconies or near pools in rooms etc.

Sorry smokers but the ban is coming WDW is just dragging behind as usual.

.............I quit over 30 years ago but in my opinion as long as smoking remains legal I can't justify banning it from DVC or anyplace else.

Slowly, ever so slowly, just like the proverbial frog that dies a slow death as the temperature in the water he was in was slowly turned up, we are becoming less free. I think this is referred to as the slippery slope.

minnie61650 said:
FYI

From this wesite:

http://www.drgreene.com/21_1288.html

Cigarette smoke contains a number of toxic chemicals and irritants. People with allergies may be more sensitive to cigarette smoke than other people, and research studies indicate that smoking may aggravate allergies.

Common symptoms of smoke irritation are burning or watery eyes, nasal congestion, coughing, hoarseness and shortness-of-breath.

As I said in the now locked thread there is no smoke allergy if you read your own post people with allergies may be more sensitive to smoke the key words are they may be more sensitive notice they did not say they are allergic to smoke. As I said you can be sensitive to smoke and it can aggravate allergies but you can not be allergic to it.

bcvillastwo said:
.............I quit over 30 years ago but in my opinion as long as smoking remains legal I can't justify banning it from DVC or anyplace else.

Slowly, ever so slowly, just like the proverbial frog that dies a slow death as the temperature in the water he was in was slowly turned up, we are becoming less free. I think this is referred to as the slippery slope.

I only quit 3 yrs ago and I only hope I can copy you on the 30 yrs but I agree as long as it is legal it should be accomodated.

FYI the frog is not stupid it will jump out of the water

No man (or woman) is an island.
When someone smokes around guests it can and does affect some of those guests.

It can cause mild discomfort, or an asthma attack in some guests
Please do not smoke around other guests.

I am sure guests with asthma and allergies would rather spend their Disney vacation enjoying Disney instead of spending it in the ER of an Orlando area hospital.

Just my 2 cents.

tor said:
As I said in the now locked thread there is no smoke allergy if you read your own post people with allergies may be more sensitive to smoke the key words are they may be more sensitive notice they did not say they are allergic to smoke. As I said you can be sensitive to smoke and it can aggravate allergies but you can not be allergic to it.
Cig smoke is an irritant. While it doesn't cause allergies, it can trigger Vasomotor reactions much like when you eat spicy foods and your nose runs. For some people this can be severe and even life threatening when it affects the lungs instead of just the nose. It can and does trigger asthma and other serous problems for some people and actually a lot more often that true allergies tend to do.

fishermouse said:
I have no problem with no smoking in the rooms or even the balconies of ns rooms, the balcony is part of your room. But I do enjoy a good cigar now and then and should be able to smoke it on my ns balcony or while taking a walk in areas that are not NS. Sorry if it bothers you but a lot of things bother me also I just put up with them. Like people in wheel chairs thinking they have a right to go to the front of the line all the time. I'm sure thats another thread but it illustrates a point. Do some people have real medical reactions to smoke, I'm sure they do, but why is everyone elses medical problems or disabilities now MY problem. I won't smoke in NS areas if you'll stay out of areas that permitt smoking. If all the rooms go NS it won't really bother me as I porefer my cigar while in a club or taking a walk any way. :smokin:

I am sorry but smoking on your balcony and a wheelchair bound person cutting the line do not equate. While a wheelchair bound person cutting the line is annoying and rude, it is not going to affect my health. Smoking will, whether it is inside or out. An example like this can't be used in comparison to smoking.

-Matt

fishermouse said:
Sorry if it bothers you but a lot of things bother me also I just put up with them. Like people in wheel chairs thinking they have a right to go to the front of the line all the time. :

FYI:
With the exception of the Make a Wish children Disney does not give out front of the line passes

Disney started mainstreaming most of their lines in the late 1990's. Those in WC/EVC will usually enter in the regular line. They will be able to stay in EVC with their party until just before boarding most of the time.
Sometimes the WC/EVC may be pulled from the mainstream line part way down so they can board the ride in an
Accessible area. * Note they are not being taken to the front of line just an area that is accessible for them. EVC's can't climb steps so sometimes they need to take an elevator. Or they may need to board a ride where the riders usually exit in case
they need an accessible vehicle or need the moving sidewalk slowed or stopped so they can board.

Have you ever been on IASW, HM, Buzz Lighter, or SE when the ride slowed momentarily slowed down or stopped for minute or two?

Most likely that was because the ride had to slowed or stopped so a disabled person could board or disembark from the ride.

When that happens just relax, sit back and enjoy the scenery. After all you are at Disney!

Have fun at Disney! :wizard:

colleen costello said:
And make the POOLS smoke free -- at least on one side! -- so that I do not have to keep moving and moving and moving all afternoon! :(
I find it hard to believe that ANYONE would keep moving to avoid smokers.

minnie61650 said:
FYI:
With the exception of the Make a Wish children Disney does not give out front of the lone passes

Disney started mainstreaming most of their lines in the late 1990's. Those in WC/EVC will usually enter in the regular line. They will be able to stay in EVC with their party until just before boarding most of the time.
Sometimes the WC/EVC may be pulled from the mainstream line part way down so they can board the ride in an
Accessible area. * Note they are not being taken to the front of line just an area that is accessible for them. EVC's can't climb steps so sometimes they need to take an elevator. Or they may need to board a ride where the riders usually exit in case
they need an accessible vehicle or need the moving sidewalk slowed or stopped so they can board.

Have you ever been on IASW, HM, Buzz Lighter, or SE when the ride slowed momentarily slowed down or stopped for minute or two?

Most likely that was because the ride had to slowed or stopped so a disabled person could board or disembark from the ride.

When that happens just relax, sit back and enjoy the scenery. After all you are at Disney!

Have fun at Disney! :wizard:
WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG. I've seen it tons of times down there. Someone(presumably handicapped?) in line, in either a wheelchair/ECV or even on crutches. Then a CM comes up and takes them in another direction. Then while you're still waiting in line you see that person coming our of the exit. And on top of that I've even seen a man in a wheelchair get up in the rain and carry his wheelchair, running, to shelter. Only to see him carted to the front of every line later that night.

tor said:

WAIT!!!!!!!!! It is bad enough to see my irrational posts in quotes but now somehow I've been quoted on a post I never wrote.

That is not my post, please edit to remove,

Thank you very much.

Dean said:
Cig smoke is an irritant. While it doesn't cause allergies, it can trigger Vasomotor reactions much like when you eat spicy foods and your nose runs. For some people this can be severe and even life threatening when it affects the lungs instead of just the nose. It can and does trigger asthma and other serous problems for some people and actually a lot more often that true allergies tend to do.

Yes you are correct it is an irritant and there are people that are sensitive to it like I said in my post. If you reread what I said you will see that all I said was that there is no smoke allergy and still there is no smoke allergy. You will also see that I said people are sensitive to it and it can aggravate allergies. No where did I suggest anything other than the simple fact that no one has an allergy to smoke.

dumbo71 said:
WAIT!!!!!!!!! It is bad enough to see my irrational posts in quotes but now somehow I've been quoted on a post I never wrote.

That is not my post, please edit to remove,

Thank you very much.

You are correct I don't know how I pulled that one off but I fixed it my appologies

bpmorley said:
WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG. I've seen it tons of times down there. Someone(presumably handicapped?) in line, in either a wheelchair/ECV or even on crutches. Then a CM comes up and takes them in another direction. Then while you're still waiting in line you see that person coming our of the exit. And on top of that I've even seen a man in a wheelchair get up in the rain and carry his wheelchair, running, to shelter. Only to see him carted to the front of every line later that night.

This was posted by SueM in MN .(she is a moderator of the disABILITIES forum) in this thread:

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?p=15921408#post15921408

SueM in MN said:
I agree with the other posters, but I wanted to respond to one comment.

Most of the people who write about wheelchair/ECV abuse are writing what they think about assumptions they have made, rather than about actual facts.
Many people assume that guests using wheelchairs or ECVs get to bypass lines on most attractions. Because of that, they assume that anyone they see who does not look like they need the wheelchair or ECV must be abusing it to get what they think is an advantage.

When MK and Epcot were built, no one thought that much about how people using wheelchairs or ECVs would access the attractions. As a result, some were not wheelchair/ECV accessible or were not accessible thru the regular line; those attractions had a 'wheelchair entrance'. People who didn't use wheelchairs or ECVs saw the 'wheelchair entrances' as a 'perk' or something Disney did to be 'nice' to people with disabilities.
Those of us who used wheelchairs or ECVs knew the truth; that was the only way that those particular attractions were accessible. As time went on and those attractions were renovated or replaced, some were able to be made accessible without a wheelchair entrance.

AK and the Studio were built with accessible lines/attractions (called Mainstream Access), so in most cases, people using wheelchairs or ECVs at those parks will wait in the same lines and for the same amount of time as other guests (LONGER in some cases).

The majority of attractions at WDW are Mainstream Access, so don't worry about people thinking your mother is 'abusing the system'. As the other posters wrote, if she can't walk the distances, she needs to use something.

From this thread:

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?p=15932834#post15932834
SueM in MN said:
Don't count on shorter waits, though.

All of the Fastpass lines and many of the other lines are wheelchair/ECV accessible, so wheelchair/ECV users wait in line with everyone else in the same lines for those attractions (that is called Mainstream Access). All of the attractions at AK and MGM were built with Mainstream Access. Because MK and Epcot were built much longer ago, before wheelchair access was thought of, some of the attractions there have regular entrances that are not accessible and DO have wheelchair entrances. As they renovated attractions, they added Mainstream Access if possible and wheelchair entrances are now the exception, rather than the rule.

Many people have posted that their experience was that for around 50% of attractions, their wait was the same as it would have been had they not been using an ECV/wheelchair. For about 20-25% of attractions, it was faster, but usually not that much faster. And for about 25-30% of the attractions, the wait was longer; sometimes much longer since some attractions have limited numbers of wheelchair 'spots' and there are also fire regulations regarding how many people with special needs may be in the building at one time.
Traveling for many years with one person using a wheelchair and another using an ECV, I that has pretty much been our experience too.

The disABILITIES FAQs thread has a lot of helpful information, including links to some past threads (the one about boarding in the third post of that thread may be helpful to you).
In general, if he can get out of the ECV and walk (even as little as 10 feet), he will be able to do a lot of things. What he might have trouble with depends on things like whether he can step down into a boat for boarding and back up again to get out (Pirates). The moving walkways on most rides can be slowed down or even stopped (exceptions are Peter Pan and the moving ramp that goes up to the Tomorrowland Transit Authority).

If he has not used an ECV before, I'd suggest a bit of practice before going out into traffic. He should feel comfortable turning in both directions, backing up and parallel parking. I would also suggest Epcot as a good first park to go to; it has a lot of open space and is not usually that congested. MK is about the worst; many of the walkways are fairly narrow and even during slow times, it's pretty congested. AK is also a hard park because most of the 'lands' have traffic going in both directions thru fairly narrow areas.

Just a note to the person who feels it is his right to smoke on a balcony.
Cigars are a the most offensive odor to most people. That smoke drifts over to everyone elses balcony. Why not rent a house if you want to smoke on your balcony. No one else is around that way.
I'm sure you wouldn't be happy if a teen started blaring his boom box on the balcony next to you. When we are in close quarters we need to think of those around us. :)

tor said:
You are correct I don't know how I pulled that one off but I fixed it my appologies

No problem Tor. I wasn't sure how that happened either.

Thanks for fixing it.

bpmorley wrote:

Well BELIEVE IT!!!! I will move myself and my children, both of whom have allergies and one of them has asthma! I have told people that are standing in line smoking (and I will continue to do so) to put out their cigarettes and politely remind them that they are only allowed to smoke in designated smoking areas.

bpmorley said:

I would not move more than once maybe twice. The third time I gurantee the smoker would move or else. This is something that WDW needs to address NOW. The pool area is one place that needs a non-smoking section or no smoking at all!!!!!!smjj

Marriott Corporation recently made all of their properties in the US non-smoking! It is time for Disney to do the same.

I understand smoking is an addiciton but if you need to smoke please do it outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter